Sign in to follow this  

Imagine if you will,  a new player Jane is trying to learn to flatten.  You a veteran player wish to help Jane. Neither of you find yourselves in combat and so you remotely team up with Jane and /tutroom ... And are both teleported to a tutorial plane  where you may do and learn anything.. take nothing with you when you leave but the knowledge you just learned  ...  /tutend  and your both teleported back to your original locations.

The Basic Idea is a zone in which any amount of building / terraforming may occur rapidly for education.  Players may be teleported to the zone only if not in combat, and i would recommend in pairs at least, in team, to prevent single players from abusing this zone. Two simple commands would allow transport in and out, ie /tutroom /tutend.

This zone would allow Veteran players to meet quickly with new players, no matter where the new player is, teach them basic to advanced skills thus upping the chances of that player staying in the game, instead of quitting because this game is to hard, too much to learn, etc.

The old tutorial taught you how to do things before you were allowed in game. Now your allowed in game, without the knowledge the older tutorial provided. IMO This is harmful to our new players as they start they game without the knowledge of how to make a shaft. A basic building block.  

This Idea allows quick one on one time with a new player, which IMO means a great deal in those first few days, and would great enhance the chance of the player staying in game, rather then quitting.

Edited by Ratheden
Clarity
  • Like 4

Sounds like something that could be built upon, sort of a room that can be used to teach the rudimentary points of the game without endangering the veteran's deed :)

Outstanding idea and greatly needed! It will build a closer community as well as help retain new players.  I'm not a new player, but I could still benefit from this Tutorial Zone (I like zone better than room  LOL) for so many things.  For many of us, especially when it comes to mining and terraforming, we need to see it step by step.  

Awesome idea!!!  Rolf, add this to the top of your list please?  Best idea for player retention since sailing without borders! :)

Quite an interesting idea, we are currenly looking at the tutorial and ways of improving it. Terraforming can be one of those incredibly tricky things to get the hang of in Wurm, thanks for sharing!

Retrograde This is meant as an addition to, not to replace the tutorial. A way for Veteran Players to help New Players.

New players will always want to rush or skip the tutorial to get into the game fast - before they actualy have started playing, their belief in this being that one-of-a-kind game where you *need* to do a tutorial will be just about zero. Only when they are really playing does it dawn on the vast majority that staying around a bit longer in that tutorial, and actually reading what was to be read in there (and hopefully once again doing what could be done in there) just might have been a quite wise thing to do...

For that reason I believe that being able to return to the tutorial once allready in game, or to 'a' tutorial of any kind, would be a quite important help in keeping players around.

So a good (hands-on!) tutorial at the start - chances to return to the tutorial once in game (and once realising they missed too much when they were running through there with eyes and thoughts just fixated on finding the exit-gate asap) - and certainly also the idea given here, for a one-on-one lesson about one aspect whenever the need arises, would be a great addition i.m.o.

Something like this is needed.   The old tutorial was handy for some basics, yet something fluid like this would be helpful and a way to build stronger community bringing vets and noobies together alike.

• Like 1