Sign in to follow this  
blkcobra

mixed pvp/pve opinion

Instead of having 2 seperate servers, id like some opinions on maby spliting a large map, having a large open pvp area that would work alot like a village vs village or FFA area and then a pve area. When you step into these pvp areas, you are clearly warned so i find it hard to "accidentally" stumble deep into a pvp area. Im not talking just a hota area either, im talking about spliting a 4k or higher map in half more or less.

I like this idea.  Most maps are way too empty anyway.

How would you setup something like this?

Edited by Ricowan

Well im able to setup focus zones that allow PvP. I can also make that same zone have a very clear popup that says you are entering a PvP zone. I have a 4k map and the people who are only interested in PvE have settled near the starting town. Im pretty sure no one has even ventured down south at all. Allowing this area to be open PvP would allow people to decide if they want PvE or PvP on the same map instead of using server resources i could use for something else. This would be all freedom isles so the it would pretty much be a FFA. People could form villages in the pvp zone of course and team up and i could even move the white light to the pvp zone. I can spawn uniques on in the PvP zone aswell to have sort of reward with the risk. The only issues i see is very strong players/villages living right outside the PvP zone and cross over to raid and such and going home knowing their village is safe but this would happen with a PvP island too.Also being on a PvE server, no one should be able to use lockpicking or bash on deed which may cause issues. Also theft would be an issue on a server setup for PvE. Overall i would need to offer some sort of reward to the risk on venturing into a PvP zone.

EDIT:

I did alittle testing and on a server setup for PvE, you cannot bash on deed period so the risk of being raided is gone. theft is also impossible when it comes to lockpicking. AND!!! you cannot fight on deed. It may be a better idea to setup a small 2k map specificly for PvP but with no possibility of being raided, that may get people interested in at least fighting others

Edited by blkcobra

It is a shame the settings are like that.  My ideal map would be split into 9 sections (3x3), with only the 4 corners set to pve. 1 corner would be silver and gold ores, one corner metallurgy ores, one corner would be lead, marble and slate, and the last corner would be the start town. Iron would be everywhere.  Turn off mailboxes and you get people needing to cross the pvp zones for trade.  Maybe someday that would type of world will be possible.

• Like 1

You also cannot attack branded horses on freedom servers even if it's a pvp zone.

You could do like me and Have a full PVE map and have a Arena where PVP is held as event's and rewards are given out. PVE players who have rewards for short battles in event's are more likely to join than a open map section with pvp.

In a pvp area you can be attacked for no reason from jerks even if it is a event. But if the pvp area is in a arena only with gates closing off the arena and only challengers enter and can be attacked it is more pleasing to the pve community style players.

The only reasons anyone raids to begin with, on any WU/WO PvP server, is if you meme someone too hard and they hate your guts or someone has something really valuable like artifacts. Raiding is too much time and work for so little reward. So, making a server where raiding is not the focus shouldn't be so hard, but if it's impossible due to coding, then just regulate it with administration.

9 hours ago, Pinchaloaf said:

The only reasons anyone raids to begin with, on any WU/WO PvP server, is if you meme someone too hard and they hate your guts or someone has something really valuable like artifacts. Raiding is too much time and work for so little reward. So, making a server where raiding is not the focus shouldn't be so hard, but if it's impossible due to coding, then just regulate it with administration.

Just so you know, RP-PvP servers are FANTASTIC for "reasoned raiding?", That and it's quite a lot of fun to roleplay if your into that sort of thing~

On 12/13/2015 at 0:09 PM, blkcobra said:

Instead of having 2 seperate servers, id like some opinions on maby spliting a large map, having a large open pvp area that would work alot like a village vs village or FFA area and then a pve area. When you step into these pvp areas, you are clearly warned so i find it hard to "accidentally" stumble deep into a pvp area. Im not talking just a hota area either, im talking about spliting a 4k or higher map in half more or less.

it would be difficult to implement

on PvP, people used to make mines with stone doors (AKA minehops) all over the servers to hide in to avoid PvP, having a PvE zone would be essentially the same thing

it would need to flag them as hostile (similar to Runescape when leaving the wild), and even then people could just run on deed and hide; overall wouldn't work too well

On 12/28/2015 at 4:45 PM, MootRed said:

You also cannot attack branded horses on freedom servers even if it's a pvp zone.

taking out an opponent's mount is integral to land-based PvP; safety for branded horses in PvP wouldn't work

19 hours ago, Pinchaloaf said:

for anyone who hasn't seen, actual Wurm Online raid footage:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=paint+drying+10+hours