Sign in to follow this  
Amory

Storage Tiles

Hey guys,

I understand extra storage has been a suggestion plenty of times, but I had an idea that I think would be pretty awesome if implemented. When your building your home, obviously, you want some nice looking storage, that can fit more than a BSB of goods. At the moment, i have seen people use carts, boats, wagons etc in their homes for storage. Being the neat freak that I am, I really crave some cool looking mass storage. I have seen some suggestions such as shelving or lockers etc. However, i thought of an idea that is slightly different, but serves the same purpose.

Rather than having an item that can hold alot of goods, why cant we build a storage tile? For example, instead of building a wooden floor in my home, wouldn't it be great to build a 'Warehouse Tile' that fills and entire 1x1x1 square of a cool looking collection of crates/barrels? This tile could hold say 25 crates. Or, we could have a 'meat storage' tile that had hanging meats from the ceiling? Maybe it could potentially reduce decay too? These tiles would be great, not just for storage, but for aesthetic purposes. Its two birds with one stone in my opinion, because we lack in design options for interiors, as well as storage.

Edited by Amory
  • Like 3

Just to add to this, perhaps new wall types could feature built in shelving for storage?

so, imagine a floor trapdoor, it requires 40 CARP + 40 MASON + 40 DIGGING for skills to start, and for mats not just 16 wood beams but also 52 bricks, 26 mortar, 12 steel sheets, 42 planks, 12 iron ribbons, and finally ...  a big old BRASS RING.

TrapD3.jpg

When you click on it to open you get an animation of a door opening to a dark area and a window similar to BSB. Except this has COMPARTMENTS, dimilar to the GROUP categories you can create for Inventory. Some for bulkitems with anti-decay, some for unusually oversized things that won;t fit into normal containers, some for liquid items (lyes dyes juices milk what-have-you)  and some things you just want to organize in groups (weapons, gems, armor, shipbuilding, tools, healingkits, you decide and sort as you like). It uses GUI to suggest all this -- the only actual mesh is the trapdoor itself. 

Then you also can throw a rug over the top of it to keep it semi secret.

And push a bed on top. And of course you can padlock it too.

Maybe you can keep a hellhound chained inside?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Maybe you can keep a hellhound chained inside?

A three headed hellhound :)

I like this idea, would be great for hidden storage or castle storage :)

+1

We really need some way of comfortable crate storing. I imagine it as a furniture piece that can only be used planted and when planted, gets centered in a tile and takes it up whole. BTW it would have to have 'load' option so obviously would have to be embarkable  too. ^_^

+1

making the tile immovable helps to keep it getting too overpowered and since you can already store 10-20 crates on a tile with a little effort this isn't a game changer. And any visual improvement helps Wurm.

The idea of permanent or semi-permanent storage that functions as an extra-huge BSB/crate makes sense to me, but I think there would need to be tradeoffs.
 Something like:

• Takes a lot of material to build.
  • Takes up an entire tile of the house, as if it were one big solid block you can't walk through and have to interact with through the sides.

I like the idea of having different compartments, either for different sorts of items or for QL sorting.

Cellar door:

-Built on an outdoor tile which is adjacent to an existing building

-Maximum storage space of cellar is determined by the total area of the ground floor (number of tiles)

-If the building's ground floor is ever expanded, storage capacity can be increased by digging from the cellar door

-The cellar cannot be entered, but functions as a bulk storage system

One of the suggestions I've seen floating around is to add more end game content. If this were to be added, it could require very high level carpentry/masonry/fine carpentry etc to create. This might even create "interior designers" who build these cells for a fee for lower levelled players.

Edited by Amory
Spelling

-1 again we don't need more magical condensing....

If you want a 1*1*1 tile condensor then you should only be able to add as much to it as it would realistically appear to be able to hold in that space....  EI it would be hard to cram any more then 3-4 BSB's on a tile so it certainly should not be able to hold 12 BSB's at most it should be 4....

+1 to the cellar - that'd be awesomely cool!

I see your desire for realism and raise you dragons and magic.

22 minutes ago, Pandalet said:

+1 to the cellar - that'd be awesomely cool!

I see your desire for realism and raise you dragons and magic.

Indeed, anyway is not half a mountain inside of a little BSB enough space consolidation???  Now we want to but three mountains inside of Cupboard?

• Like 1

-1  I don't like the idea of magical condensing.  As it is crates and bsbs take up space, which is completely realistic and essential to play style.  The more magical condensing you add, the more vanilla the game becomes.  We're already able to hold an unreal amount of items in our inventory and inside of bsbs, so we definitely don't need a way to hold an unreal amount of crates or barrels within a small space.  Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, Slickshot said:

As it is crates and bsbs take up space, which is completely realistic and essential to play style.

No. Crates don't take space, you stack few dozens of them on one tile and cannot open them or repair them. So you build a ship and place it on top of your storage building, load it with crates and then access them from the first floor. Or load them in wagons and place the wagons on top of each other. How realistic is this? Unreal amount of barrels? A large cart holds more than 70 of them! it's just  stupid to flood your warehouse with carts, wagons and ships - there're garages and docks for that.

17 minutes ago, zigozag said:

No. Crates don't take space, you stack few dozens of them on one tile and cannot open them or repair them. So you build a ship and place it on top of your storage building, load it with crates and then access them from the first floor. Or load them in wagons and place the wagons on top of each other. How realistic is this? Unreal amount of barrels? A large cart holds more than 70 of them! it's just  stupid to flood your warehouse with carts, wagons and ships - there're garages and docks for that.

It's still much better than "magical tile that holds the universe inside of it...magically!!!!!!!!!!!!"

50 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

It's still much better than "magical tile that holds the universe inside of it...magically!!!!!!!!!!!!"

It is not magical. Sub-floor storage areas are real. Nobody is suggesting unlimited storage space. 

32 minutes ago, Meldichoir said:

It is not magical. Sub-floor storage areas are real. Nobody is suggesting unlimited storage space. 

For example, instead of building a wooden floor in my home, wouldn't it be great to build a 'Warehouse Tile' that fills and entire 1x1x1 square of a cool looking collection of crates/barrels? This tile could hold say 25 crates.

I see no mention of sub-floor storage in the OP.

14 minutes ago, Slickshot said:

I see no mention of sub-floor storage in the OP.

The original poster, Amory, expressed his approval of the trapdoor; the very first response to the topic. Since then, several others have elaborated upon and approved of the trapdoor/cellar concept. This is a discussion where ideas form and you must read beyond the first post. 

Edited by Meldichoir