Sign in to follow this  
Addie

Epic Terraforming Events?

I was wondering if the Valrei terraforming events from WO happen with on the default adventure server with epic settings in WU? My friends and I would like to play with epic settings enabled but the terraforming events would be a deal breaker for us. I wasn't able to find an answer here or on the Steam forums sadly. If they do happen, is there a way to disable them?

Thank you. :)

EDIT: I found one post that seems to say they do in fact happen but I'm still not sure. A bit more info on the server types and settings like Home and Epic would go a long way towards helping confused players. :(

Edited by Addie

Epic settings don't matter as far as the Valrei terraforming events are concerned.

The trigger for a terraforming event is a Scenario end, when one of the gods on Valrei wins the game there.

As players we can influence the outcome of the Valrei game, by completing missions, and with enough Karma, communing with our deity to try to move them it a certain direction, influencing the outcome of the Valrei game.

Epic settings control the skillgain and effective skill curve, since epic has different skill settings compared to ordinary Wurm.

What does control whether Valrei is on or off is the PvP settings, which is what switches on the Valrei missions and the Valrei events for that server.

The default settings for the Adventure server should eventually see a scenario end, and a valrei event, targeted against one of the losing sides... usually ... It's not always a reliable mechanism.

The Valrei events also decide which players, if any get rewards for helping out their kingdom deity, which is decided by the scenario points awarded for completing missions, (as well as the Sleep Bonus and Karma). This is how players should be awarded a Key to the Heavens and become a Demigod, or other rewards, such as spell tomes.

Valrei events are both a risk and reward, since events are accompanied by spawns of Glimmersteel boulders, as well as terraforming effects, such as craters, or dirt hills, cracks and the like.

There shouldn't be any Valrei on non PvP servers, so really, to completely avoid Valrei events, this would be your only option.

Home server sets the server to one kingdom only, which could have strange effects on the server, due to missions scripts and the fact that other kingdoms are already present.

PvP allows all, or just one kingdom to be present on that server, and also allows missions and Valrei events.

Test server allows you to do many things you are not normally able to, and also contains some tet code for other things, like flowing rivers, (incomplete test code that produces water Marker blocks).

Epic sets the server to use the Epic skillgain and effective skill curve mechanism, which alters the way skill is gained, and the way skill is calculated when creating or fighting etc.

At present I haven't heard of any way to disable Valrei events, but a request in the Modding section might produce some way of switching this off as a mod.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by Zenity

This clears up a lot of lingering questions I had. I think the source of my confusion was the hover over tooltip on the epic setting, "skill curve, missions affect Valrei" while the pvp setting seemed like just that, pvp enabled so I assumed epic was the source of all the Valrei spawns and missions and such. I'd always played on Freedom so I wanted was a bit confused as to which server type did what and exactly how Valrei worked. Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! :D

• Like 1