Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Perimeter Decay (Stone House)

38 minutes ago, Tich said:

I used the old code other than working out if the owner of the building has been on server for last 3 months.

Ps, i'm running a series of tests on test server, and the non-citizen house is taking less damage than the citizen house (both in perimeter)

Hard to test players that not longer play on server for x time, as have to build house (or give it to them) when they are active.

Well there needs to be a progressive code so that a building decays at a slow pace at first then faster as it goes. Like the first 10-20 damage is slow then it decays faster and faster for every 10 damage that is done. This progressive decay would work a lot like a player being gone too so there would be no need to have that really. 

I am seeing 3 damage a day and yes the house not owned by anyone that is on my perimeter that is a new build has not taken damage for two days now where the old ones are so i have to assume that the 90days gone thing is working now or the rest would be slow too.

@gomeo As far as the place i am waiting on anyone can check that with Niarja site the deeds name was/is "Huntington Castle" an island on pristine it disbanded on 11-02-2015 so the deed would have been decaying since October 2nd just like the OP says and the numbers reported are the truth.  It disbanded on Nov 2nd and i put in a new deed in the spot with large perimeter on the 9th with the same name. (i was the owner of the first deed but had sold it back in 2014)

Now do i think that the decay is a little faster then it should be now sure 3 damage a day is a little extreme for a new building but that is still 30 days before it is gone. That is why i have been suggesting a progressive decay so both sides win and we are not waiting months for an old spot to decay.  

Edited by Kegan

11 minutes ago, Kegan said:

Well there needs to be a progressive code so that a building decays at a slow pace at first then faster as it goes. Like the first 10-20 damage is slow then it decays faster and faster for every 10 damage that is done. This progressive decay would work a lot like a player being gone too so there would be no need to have that really. 

I am seeing 3 damage a day and yes the house not owned by anyone that is on my perimeter that is a new build has not taken damage for two days now where the old ones are so i have to assume that the 90days gone thing is working now or the rest would be slow too.

@gomeo As far as the place i am waiting on anyone can check that with Niarja site the deeds name was/is "Huntington Castle" an island on pristine it disbanded on the 11-02-2015 so the deed would have been decaying since October 2nd just like the OP says and the numbers reported are the truth.  It disbanded on the Nov 2nd and i put in a new deed in the spot with large perimeter on the 9th with the same name. (i was the owner of the first one but had sold it back in 2014)

Now do i think that the decay is a little faster then it should be now sure 3 damage a day is a little extreme but that is still 30 days. That is why i have been suggesting a progressive decay so both sides win and we are not waiting months for an old spot to decay.  

a month time shouldn't even be for elevation... and for freedom? people play freedom so they can build nice things and not worry about it being destroyed by other players... let alone by fast decay. isn't that the whole point of things having signatures? create awesome things so it leaves lasting impressions on the community? and now its being undone by super fast decay. it should take months for things to completely vanish on freedom servers. months of inactivity. just my thought on that.

anywho, Merry Christmas. 

In my opinion an abandoned building should not last any longer then three months max without any repairs. If that building is on a deed then one month of that decay is done the last month before the deed disbands so the buildings still have two months after the deed disbands before they are gone completely.  To me that is plenty of time and if there was a progressive decay it would be slower at first so that it helps people that live off deed have an easier time to maintain them too.

Anyway sounds like Tich is testing things so i am not going to be updating the OP anymore i am sure Tich will figure out a way that is fair for both sides. If you have ever been waiting on a building to decay then you would know how slow it has been up until now.  

Edited by Kegan

Gomeo, how long do YOU think a building should take to decay?  1 month?  2 months?  A year?  Never?

QL of a building should slow the damage over time a building takes if it's not deeded, but they should not be invincible either. 

This was a much needed change, whether or not the freemium players choose to acknowledge it for their own benefit.  If you are an active player, and you make the decision not to deed your shack in the middle of the woods, you still have the ability to improve and repair the walls.  If you no longer play Wurm, your house should not stand for all eternity. 

29 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Gomeo, how long do YOU think a building should take to decay?  1 month?  2 months?  A year?  Never?

QL of a building should slow the damage over time a building takes if it's not deeded, but they should not be invincible either. 

This was a much needed change, whether or not the freemium players choose to acknowledge it for their own benefit.  If you are an active player, and you make the decision not to deed your shack in the middle of the woods, you still have the ability to improve and repair the walls.  If you no longer play Wurm, your house should not stand for all eternity. 

my 89ql houses should stand for months.

last i checked, QL did matter in the dmg over time. 

afterall, it don't take long to catapult them down. does freedom servers have catapults?

do freedomers have the ability to bash others houses not on deed?

freedom decay rate should be different then epic decay rate as we have active raiders and such, so decay shouldn't be so fast on epic. mainly, because the whole fun of raiding is breaking into peoples old places or even active places and scavenging for left behinds or goodies.

decay shouldn't let all those things go to waste when those things can be raided by others and reused again. its a waste having such high decay on servers that are actively played. and that's how it should be.

Edited by 2015_GOMEO

my 89ql houses should stand for months.

Way to dodge the question.

afterall, it don't take long to catapult them down. does freedom servers have catapults?

do freedomers have the ability to bash others houses not on deed?

So you have absolutely no idea how decay or damaging buildings works on freedom, but you want to dictate the way it should be?

1.  No, I cannot bash someone else's house.  Not even if it's a 10 story tall castle that's 99% wooden frame, with one single wall on the 4th floor sitting at 99.99% damage.  You cannot bash someone else's house UNLESS that person adds you to their building.

2. Catapults do not work on houses in freedom, unless you own the house.  I don't think you can even catapult a house that you are granted permission to modify and someone else owns it, but I could be wrong there.

1 minute ago, Wargasm said:

Way to dodge the question.

So you have absolutely no idea how decay or damaging buildings works on freedom, but you want to dictate the way it should be?

1.  No, I cannot bash someone else's house.  Not even if it's a 10 story tall castle that's 99% wooden frame, with one single wall on the 4th floor sitting at 99.99% damage.  You cannot bash someone else's house UNLESS that person adds you to their building.

2. Catapults do not work on houses in freedom, unless you own the house.  I don't think you can even catapult a house that you are granted permission to modify and someone else owns it, but I could be wrong there.

i didn't dodge the question. i answered it. and it depends on the QL. you cant just put a blanket answer for all building ql's. or even unfinished ones. should depend on ql. 

and i also think it should depend on weither its freedom or epic.

also, it shouldn't be just 1 or 2 people deciding what it should be, it should be what its always been or break out a game-wide voting poll like they do on server resets... cause frankly, messing with decay rate is pretty much wiping servers at the rate its currently set to. on epic, we already have things at 30dmg that were previously only a few dmg that accumulated in just the past week then it has in a month. and no, the amount of work that was put into the things that were build on epic, shouldn't vanish in a month's time because a couple people on freedom of all places, want to get ahold of a small plot of land compared to ALL of the wurm servers that are now suffering due to this and no prior testing or consulting with the player base.

very selfish request to have decay rate sped up for ALL of wurm for your own personal gain. decay rate was fine as it was. 

he said it himself, decay speeds up for the owner's buildings after no activity on that server for 3 months... its been almost 2 months now, and yall started this decay test after its been disbaned for 6 weeks...

the 3 month's increase decay rate is a fine enough decay rate for both freedom AND epic.

thanks for ruining the decay rate for all of wurm. just saying.

Your continued reference to this being a "selfish request" leads me to believe you're not seeing this issue clearly.

I found a place I wanted to deed.  The name of it used to be Targo Viste on Independence (Freedom).  The deed disbanded in March of this year according to Niarja.  Now realize, buildings start taking damage when upkeep falls below 30 days, so by the time we deeded next to it on November 6th, it had taken 9 months worth of damage, and still the walls were only at 50-60 damage each.  Had I not placed a perimeter over it, the walls would probably be at 70 damage by now, which would be 11 months.

Hell, if I can build a house and it doesn't fall for over a year, why would I want to waste money by deeding it?

You're telling me that I'm "selfish" for not wanting to wait a YEAR for a building to decay?  Really?

Now I'm in agreance with Kegan.  Should there be additional tweaks to how buildings/bridges decay?  Absolutely.  But a full year of waiting for something to decay is unacceptable, I don't care if it's 100 QL and blessed by Enki himself.  Not due to my own impatience, selfishness, or whatever picture you want to paint, but due to the ease of exploitation if this wasn't fixed.  I'd explain it further for you, but I honestly don't want to give any griefers out there any bright ideas on how to piss off their neighbors.

just checked our offdeed house, which is just next to the deed which we live at. Logging in on that server 50 tiles away each day, found the houses with 50-70 dmg on them. It does certainly seems broken.

The decay rate now is a little excessive no one is saying that it is not but there also needs to be a balance to get rid of the abandoned houses too. The way it was before it was taking way to long and in wurm when you are waiting on a house to decay for months it can seem like a lifetime.

Edited by Kegan

Well, I'm taking 3 damage per tick on off deed buildings. Some are in perimeter but not all. Walls are all 80+ QL. Owner is active and member of the settlement so I'm thinking 3 dam per tick is a bit excessive for an active player.

Repaired today the perimeter house walls to 0 dmg and the other next to it off perim. Will keep checking the damage each day on them.

11 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Your continued reference to this being a "selfish request" leads me to believe you're not seeing this issue clearly.

I found a place I wanted to deed.  The name of it used to be Targo Viste on Independence (Freedom).  The deed disbanded in March of this year according to Niarja.  Now realize, buildings start taking damage when upkeep falls below 30 days, so by the time we deeded next to it on November 6th, it had taken 9 months worth of damage, and still the walls were only at 50-60 damage each.  Had I not placed a perimeter over it, the walls would probably be at 70 damage by now, which would be 11 months.

Hell, if I can build a house and it doesn't fall for over a year, why would I want to waste money by deeding it?

You're telling me that I'm "selfish" for not wanting to wait a YEAR for a building to decay?  Really?

Now I'm in agreance with Kegan.  Should there be additional tweaks to how buildings/bridges decay?  Absolutely.  But a full year of waiting for something to decay is unacceptable, I don't care if it's 100 QL and blessed by Enki himself.  Not due to my own impatience, selfishness, or whatever picture you want to paint, but due to the ease of exploitation if this wasn't fixed.  I'd explain it further for you, but I honestly don't want to give any griefers out there any bright ideas on how to piss off their neighbors.

dont want others to grief? you can grief with just stone fences... you dont need buildings for that. might as well go so far as upping the decay on ALL things, fences, animals aging, item decay, crop decay. might as well go all out.

again, i applaud you on the selfishness during these times of giving. grats on giving everyone in wurm accelerated decay on their buildings and causing them hours of more work for your own personal gain. kudos. that's a major griefing accomplishment. Herblin would be proud.

• Like 1

Buildings in perimeter taking very high damage even though owned by mayor of the deed and have been logging in every month, plus deed has 100+ days upkeep.

It used to be that non-citizens + absent players took accelerated damage but now it seems to happen to everyone regardless of who owns it?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

2 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Buildings in perimeter taking very high damage even though owned by mayor of the deed and have been logging in every month, deed as 100+ days upkeep.

It used to be that non-citizens + absent players took accelerated damage but now it seems to happen to everyone regardless of who owns it?

yes, the dev changed how decay works back to the old way i guess to make a few people happy so they could take over some freedom place that's been abandoned. 

because i guess they aren't allowed to interfere in the game and destroy buildings for any one person, they have to do it for all of wurm. ;)

Well that sucks as it seemed to me that previous decay was actually working properly.

Now it is really broken.

Does this mean my perimeter buildings would take LESS decay if I just disband my deeds and have them considered as undeeded properties? Because that might be worth considering. 

Don't all panic, this damage was last week, they updated it again just before xmas to much lower values, no more 6dmg a day on walls regardless of ql

Anyway the mechanics are broken if buildings I own take accelerated damage on the same server I log in each day. Whatever damage ticks are that.

• Like 1

They are testing it and adjusting it but we do need a balance on things for sure. The old way might have been fine for you but that was because it was so slow if you were waiting on a spot that you really wanted to deed and it took months and in some cases close to a year you would know why it was an issue before.

I do admit it went from one extreme to the other but there does need to be a better way and they are figuring it out. There was also some missing non working features like slower decay for perimeter that deed members owned..etc Just keep an eye on your off deed buildings till they get it tested and sorted out.

Just to get some perspective here is an iron fence that has the slow decay that the houses use to have..

[07:10:18] QL=23.733019, dam=23.855976

This iron fence has been decaying for almost three months and at this rate it will take it many many more months to be gone well the houses had the same slow decay before and was taking just as long. 

I live off deed on my little farm and noticed a lot of decay recently.  So much in fact that I spent all of impalong imping my own buildings =(

I did a test, well I'm still doing the test, and here is what I've found out so far.  in less than 24 hours a 51 ql wooden door which is the 2nd story of my Animal Hospital now has 3.199996 decay.  I thought it might be possible that I just missed one wall when doing my repairs, but alas no. Three walls, all 51.5ish quality all have 3.2ish decay in less than 24 hours.  A stone 70.83717 ql wall has taken 0.042350646 damage in less than 24 hours.  I log in everyday, but I'm not going to be able to keep up with the decay at this rate. =(

Edited by Dorian

8 hours ago, Lokitia said:

Well, I'm taking 3 damage per tick on off deed buildings. Some are in perimeter but not all. Walls are all 80+ QL. Owner is active and member of the settlement so I'm thinking 3 dam per tick is a bit excessive for an active player.

Confirmed. I repaired all my off-deed structures 2 days ago, and find this today:

[

16:42:07] QL=68.74764, dam=7.4001474

Obviously we are all considered "inactive" at the moment (again). --- Bug reported.

• Like 1

Here is my idea of progressive damage/decay..

0.25 decay a day (0-10 damage) = 40 days
0.50 decay a day (10-20 damage) = 20 days
0.75 decay a day (20-30 damage) = 13.3 days
1.00 decay a day (30-40 damage) = 10 days
1.25 decay a day (40-50 damage) = 8 days
1.50 decay a day (50-60 damage) = 6.6 days
1.75 decay a day (60-70 damage) = 5.7 days
2.00 decay a day (70-80 damage) = 5 days
2.25 decay a day (80-90 damage) = 4.4 days
2.50 decay a day (90-done)      = 4 days
------------------------------------------
Total: 117 days (almost four months) 

This gives players 60 days (two months) till they get to 20 damage that should be easy to maintain and still gets rid of old spots pretty quickly too. (about four months) 

Edited by Kegan

2 minutes ago, Kegan said:

Here is my idea of progressive damage/decay..

0.25 decay a day (0-10 damage) = 40 days
0.50 decay a day (10-20 damage) = 20 days
0.75 decay a day (20-30 damage) = 13.3 days
1.00 decay a day (30-40 damage) = 10 days
1.25 decay a day (40-50 damage) = 8 days
1.50 decay a day (50-60 damage) = 6.6 days
1.75 decay a day (60-70 damage) = 5.7 days
2.00 decay a day (70-80 damage) = 5 days
2.25 decay a day (80-90 damage) = 4.4 days
2.50 decay a say (90-done)      = 4 days
------------------------------------------
Total: 117 days (almost four months) 

This gives players 60 days (two months) till they get to 20 damage that should be easy to maintain and still gets rid of old spots pretty quickly too. (about four months) 

thats nice, but what about ql affecting the decay?

never mind I am so FREAKING  frustrated I think I better just sign off for a few weeks. Or months.

Just spent most of my holidays trying to keep my perimeter buildings from all popping, and I am feeling mighty cranky.

I predict though we will be getting this MASSIVE decay resirfacing now every few months since broken code likes to come back again and again. 

well, now ql does not really affect the decay, my 65-70ql walls raking 3 dmg per day. Again, active player, on my own perimeter. Yes I want to have houses on my perimeter, very handy to on site delivery for example.