Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Better newbie equipment!

• New players now start with a long sword and leather armour in order to get a better chance of survival and discovering the game instead of ragequitting due to being owned by a pheasant.
  • Fixed incorrect butchered cooked meat weight.
  • Like 25

Very very good change, imo also make it much easier to make crude tools and maybe equip a mallet and chisel.

Edited by LorenaMontana

The new newbie gear is a 50ql longsword, 30ql wooden shield and 30ql leather armor. None of it can be improved and it stays in inventory after death.

I did a quick test with a new char and it makes combat a lot more viable for new chars since they can now kill rats, sheep, bulls, wolves etc. 

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, DKSprocket said:

The new newbie gear is a 50ql longsword, 30ql wooden shield and 30ql leather armor. None of it can be improved and it stays in inventory after death.

I did a quick test with a new char and it makes combat a lot more viable for new chars since they can now kill rats, sheep, bulls, wolves etc. 

I'm not really into giving new accounts on Epic 50ql longswords that can actually damage mounts...

I guess we'll need to see how far this goes, but it has potential for abuse.

Edited by MisterTeddy
  • Like 1

this is a great change.  couldn't have included a sickle though?

• Like 5

Rolf I still want to kiss you. cmere
Devs too

Edited by Hashirama

I can see this being heavily abused on pvp servers. The Alt war will be even warmer now.

Edited by ownerpure5

hmm i don't see this making much difference to a noobie  they run into anything  higher then a cat they are still toast.Great  they get a small upgrade but really heaps better things to focus on then this ...

Hahaha :D

• New players now start with a long sword and leather armour in order to get a better chance of survival and discovering the game instead of ragequitting due to being owned by a pheasant.

I know this change hmm... Could have been my idea ^^

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toecutter said:

hmm i don't see this making much difference to a noobie  they run into anything  higher then a cat they are still toast.Great  they get a small upgrade but really heaps better things to focus on then this ...

do you really think it took that long to implement? Quit complaining about progressive changes just because they aren't what you'd like to see.

• Like 3

Easily one of the best updates for new players in the past few years!

Really a good update! And now give them new players also a sickle and all is fine :)

.... and finally split the code for pvp/pve so the epic-people can calm down

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stik said:

do you really think it took that long to implement? Quit complaining about progressive changes just because they aren't what you'd like to see.

Complaining ? just a comment on the forums ,so you don't agree with a post  you call them complaining ? exactly what you are doing not me.

I think this is one of best changes in Wurm history ever - better for player retention than bridges, multistory and Xanadu combined. :)

• Like 3

This was a very thoughtful needed change to make new player start more possible.  Much like when timber framed structures came about for they by passed the needed for ore for nails not always easy for new players and the overall ql of matts needed were higher than wooden houses giving more time to battle decay.  Thank you, and welcome stronger new players.

CC itself should have an official newbie village or three per server.

(Yes players can do this too but .... gray areas in griefing bla bla bla we all know the whole tales)

Actual villages.. small market square where players can pop merchants, pre-fab houses newbies can live in for 40c a month.  Intentionally placed iron vein (nothing fancy) GM-refreshed when they pop. Signs and a road to clay and tar (trust me, SPECIALLY TAR).  Bed, forge and oven in pre-fab rental houses. 

*Logic behind this: my first newbie home was an abandoned hedged 5x5 that had an oven, forge, bed, was near clay thus water where i could fish (campfire fish, breakfast of champ newbs).. was able to build a 1x1 for storage and one for the bed, leveled my carp by helping neighbors reinforce their existing public mine, knew where to woodcut without offending ppl from early on...  Extrapolate that to "village spawn points"..  Basically each server needs a "NewbGM" or two... kind of a CA with some GM tricks up its sleeves.  

(By and by, min-sized deed isn't 11x11, players, stop misleading newbies.  1s a month is minimum upkeep, so if the person is on a tight budget looking for "cheapest possible", odds are they won't hire a templar so that the tiles actually cost 25c(ish) a month and not the full silver.  500 tiles is a REAL "min-sized deed".. 33x33, 30x17 25x20 etc..)

So 40c a month for a house or 1s for a deed.. encourages the practice of deeding and getting attached to your spot of land while at the same time gives them a SURVIVABLE trial period of sorts.  Took me about three weeks after subscribing to make up my mind and cough up the cash to deed.

Games that keep lots of players more often .. much more often than not have a gentle "starter zone" where dying takes effort.  Once people leave the known newbie area it's ok for them if they get constantly murdered (aaah gamer psychology lol), but the first few hours define whether you keep a player or not, and the game has to pass that "test" a couple of times in the next few days/weeks depending on the individual.

I know, it rubs me against the grain too, the idea of giving newbies so much love when it was so cool fleeing from bears and spiders for a while before finding my 5x5 but... times change eh.  Besides, no game can have a true economy without lots of the more "helpless" people to both buy and produce.

Edited by Mordraug
Tpyo =P
  • Like 3

I think this is one of best changes in Wurm history ever - better for player retention than bridges, multistory and Xanadu combined. :)

Better than........

Viking cats would be? :rolleyes:

8351bceb7a.jpg

• Like 5

On 12/12/2015 at 2:07 AM, Mordraug said:

CC itself should have an official newbie village or three per server.

(Yes players can do this too but .... gray areas in griefing bla bla bla we all know the whole tales)

Actual villages.. small market square where players can pop merchants, pre-fab houses newbies can live in for 40c a month.  Intentionally placed iron vein (nothing fancy) GM-refreshed when they pop. Signs and a road to clay and tar (trust me, SPECIALLY TAR).  Bed, forge and oven in pre-fab rental houses. 

*Logic behind this: my first newbie home was an abandoned hedged 5x5 that had an oven, forge, bed, was near clay thus water where i could fish (campfire fish, breakfast of champ newbs).. was able to build a 1x1 for storage and one for the bed, leveled my carp by helping neighbors reinforce their existing public mine, knew where to woodcut without offending ppl from early on...  Extrapolate that to "village spawn points"..  Basically each server needs a "NewbGM" or two... kind of a CA with some GM tricks up its sleeves.  

(By and by, min-sized deed isn't 11x11, players, stop misleading newbies.  1s a month is minimum upkeep, so if the person is on a tight budget looking for "cheapest possible", odds are they won't hire a templar so that the tiles actually cost 25c(ish) a month and not the full silver.  500 tiles is a REAL "min-sized deed".. 33x33, 25x20 etc..)

So 40c a month for a house or 1s for a deed.. encourages the practice of deeding and getting attached to your spot of land while at the same time gives them a SURVIVABLE trial period of sorts.  Took me about three weeks after subscribing to make up my mind and cough up the cash to deed.

Games that keep lots of players more often .. much more often than not have a gentle "starter zone" where dying takes effort.  Once people leave the known newbie area it's ok for them if they get constantly murdered (aaah gamer psychology lol), but the first few hours define whether you keep a player or not, and the game has to pass that "test" a couple of times in the next few days/weeks depending on the individual.

I know, it rubs me against the grain too, the idea of giving newbies so much love when it was so cool fleeing from bears and spiders for a while before finding my 5x5 but... times change eh.  Besides, no game can have a true economy without lots of the more "helpless" people to both buy and produce.

This makes sense compared to a 2% armor increase

Edited by Toecutter

Sign in to follow this