Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

News #89 Watch out for the foggz!

header.png

It's been a long week full of feedback, updates and fun here with the wurm team. We've been working hard on collecting your feedback and putting together our plans for the next few months. This weeks headline comes from a saying our former Head Game Master was fond of, as explained by a GM.

<GM>Oracle was well known for teasing the players in kchat and such with text warnings like "foggs, beware of teh foggz" and then turning fog on to near blackout levels
<GM>then once the fog was thick, he'd make spooky comments like "watch out for teh foggs spiders!"

Huge update this week, with plotting courses, spiral staircases and halter ropes!

Spoiler
December 10, 2015
  • You can now build spiral stairs!
  • You can now sail between servers by plotting a course on Freedom and Chaos: Plot course – Allows you to set a server destination on your boat. Any server border you cross will take you to the server you set, as if it was linked. Proper warning messages are given for Chaos as a destination. Due to the architecture of the Epic cluster this was not seen as a desired feature there.
  • An old favourite returns: Added halter rope to lead up to 4 animals with single item.
  • Mailing costs were reduced by approximately 90% and the double cost for other servers removed.
  • Sleep bonus idle timeout option added. Sleep bonus will automatically turn off if no action or combat happens within 10 minutes. You can turn this off in your Profile.
  • Added possibility to sit on royal lounge chaise.
  • Updated server crossing messages so that they now tell driver and passengers what server and warn if you are crossing on to Chaos and if you have soon-to-be enemies in your boat.
  • Added the spell Locate soul to custom deities.
  • Added cooked meat drop instead of normal meat for hell/lava creatures.
  • Added charcoal drop from hell hounds.
  • Added possibility to put hot items into bulk containers.
  • Made Ram spawn on grass and steppe.
  • Made all chairs plantable.
  • Fix for permissions blocking sitting.
  • Two new shop signs images added. Tailor and Alchemy.
  • Fix for grass not spreading properly in some situations.
  • Fixed “add to crafting window” appearing on some chairs.
  • Fixed possibility to sit on chairs below water.
  • Fix for Dirt spell working on locked containers without permission.
  • Fix for permissions checking on unlocked boats about to cross server borders.

Developer Q&A, plans

Our dev Q&A was an awesome hit, I know I didn't get to everyones questions but I thank you all for turning up.

We continue to take feedback on our developer plans, working out what you all feel about certain possibilities, and identifying where more informatiion could help. We'll continue to monitor this over the weekend and work on a finalised plan by next week hopefully.

The developer notes are here:http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/135898-developer-qa-plans/

The Q&A log is available here: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/135920-developer-qa-log-december-2015/

Wurm Unlimited giveaway!

Want to win a free steam key for Wurm Unlimited? I'll be giving away FIVE keys via social media over the weekend. For Twitter users, tweet @wurmonline with the hashtag #WhyIWurm and tell us what inspires you in the game. For Facebook users, reply to the post and tell us who in Wurm inspires you! I have two keys to give away Via Twitter, and three via Facebook.

There's something in the fog...

During the Q&A we spoke about our hopeful plans for remembering our Head Game Master, Oracle. Saroman has been tinkering on a model, and it's now time to announce it! As is well known amongst our older players, Oracle was someone who loved fog, sending it billowing across the servers, warning players to watch out for the fearsome fog spiders. I, on behalf of the entire Wurm team am now pleased to present the fog spider! (spoiler for phobias)

Spoiler

fogspider.jpg

The fog spider will spawn during fog, and will be included in phobia mode, so if you suffer from that, you'll still be able to turn it into a cute little blob. Expect to see it ingame within the next few weeks.

Treasure hunt.

Something has been found on Xanadu, we sent our best explorers, Spellcast and Enki in to find out what was inside, they came out unable to speak and refuse to talk of what they saw in there. Luckily, on the 19th, portals will open from all starting towns (as well as the impalong) for all Wurmians to explore it! It'll be a minimal combat maze, so don't be afraid to show up! Suggested equipment includes water, some armour, a trail of breadcrumbs and a sturdy resolve.

Ingame

I've popped in and chatted with a few Wurmians in freedom this week, if you want to give me a tour of your deed, or just want to chat, keep your eyes peeled for me in GL-Freedom (In a lovely lavender.)

Weekly question

There's been some pretty spectacular vistas in wurm, what view makes you feel at home?

This weeks screenshot is a lovely shot of Sol rising through the fog.

screenshot.jpg

Thats all for this week, See you ingame!

Retrograde

• Like 27

Oh god, I used to joke with Oracle about Fogspiders all the time... I'm so glad they're real now.

Sweet spider , want to freek players out!   add the spiders from the movie mist i think it was or fog...

Did he not also say release the Kraken allot  during fog time?

• Like 1

I"m stoked..I have wanted fog monsters for a long time now.  WEEEEE let the terror begin!!  See you all at the hunt as well

• Like 1

That is absolutely amazing in relation to fog spiders. Probably my most favourite update in a long time.

• Like 2

Sad to see that Oracle left us, but it's a nice way to remember him. Good job team.

• Like 3

I feel inspired by all of Wurm Online team, because they are making very good, climatic and fun game, no matter of money, or publicity.

Keep it up!

As many have said its sad to see Oracle leave but giving us a new creature are great... always wanted Fog Spiders =)

Really nice to see that Oracle will still be in wurm, in one shape or another.

• Like 1

Wow!  Nice and creepy.  I would either run, or kill it.  Hopefully kill it.  /shivers

The spiders look awesome - are they definitely covered by the phobia mode, before I, like, ever go outside again? 

• Like 1

Please can we have the blobs bigger yet? :( Like, as big as the Champion Blobs are. They're perfect size, and not "too big" (for the people that think somehow they're an advantage...).

I am so, so happy to have spiral staircases. And halter ropes! And amazing everything! You're really getting into Fixing Stuff now, it's wonderful.

Thankyou so much, guys!

1 hour ago, LilyPhoenix said:

Please can we have the blobs bigger yet?

I'll scale them up yeah, they are small.

• Like 5

• Added cooked meat drop instead of normal meat for hell/lava creatures.

genius.

and the server travel update is awesome.

16 minutes ago, Josh said:

So when is something important going to be added?

You mean like that big update that just happened the other day?
Or did you simply skip over that one in order to make a low effort post

• Like 2

Just now, Stik said:

You mean like that big update that just happened the other day?
Or did you simply skip over that one in order to make a low effort post

None of that seems important. Other than the locate soul

I liked the update. good job devs.

I've missed my multi-animal rope and I like the fog spiders. <3

• Like 1

is this the thread to ask for larger and better looking slimes in phobia mode?