Sign in to follow this  
Warlander

Creatures balancing thread

Like some of you seen already, hell hounds are more balanced now by dropping charcoal and already cooked meat. What other mobs changes would you like to see in order to make hunting/fighting more enjoyable?

• Like 3

Well how about making the animals stop running away from you when you go near them. I don't think anyone thinks that is fun it is just an annoyance.

• Like 13

Getting the mobs down off  high mountains would help allot. It is very frustrating to see them  way up high where there is no chance we can go . 

• Like 17

14 minutes ago, Kegan said:

Well how about making the animals stop running away from you when you go near them. I don't think anyone thinks that is fun it is just an annoyance.

The only one that seems to be a problem are deer. All others are slow enough to catch as far as I know. As soon as you target them you simply need to get close only once and they stop running. Deer are so fast that even catching up to them is a problem. But that's as it should be. I suppose we could have a flute and play it attracting all animals within a certain radius, especially rats. 

Edited by Sarcaticous
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Warlander said:

Like some of you seen already, hell hounds are more balanced now by dropping charcoal and already cooked meat. What other mobs changes would you like to see in order to make hunting/fighting more enjoyable?

Make huge spiders drop small amounts of spidersilk string, which can be used as a substitute for cotton.

Allow non-horses to have traits, and allow wild animals to spawn with one random trait.

Edited by Scribble
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Chiqa said:

Getting the mobs down off  high mountains would help allot. It is very frustrating to see them  way up high where there is no chance we can go . 

You know I was actually kind of serious about an instrument that could be used to call mobs. That would address some of this. ^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scribble said:

Make huge spiders drop small amounts of spidersilk string, which can be used as a substitute for cotton.

Allow non-horses to have traits, and allow wild animals to spawn with one random trait.

Spider silk is quite a cool idea, it may be worth adding new items of use rather than the same stuff on each animal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chiqa said:

I would suggest adding a behavior to creature that when spawn (or chased/kited) onto a mountain (or say tiles with greater than 30) for them to move up OR down (maybe random and weighted in favor of maybe down, and with a slightly random angle) and if they touch water such as mountains that touch the sea have them start a 90 degree (or otherwise semi-perpendicular perhaps more acute to the origin) zigzag (up-down-touch water-...-rinse and repeat) until they hit semi flat dry land...as this would be more in line with animal behavior adapting to the environment.  In a sense like Tilden's work in transistor walkers as example, incredible complexity in movement and behavior created through randomness and random feedback in an environment.  This one bothers me so much i would be happy to see how to make it work, sorry have not had time to find the current algorithm to see if this is even reasonable.

Otherwise, please add *more* creatures, maybe replace some of the basically useless domestics, cave cows and mountain chickens, with some more 50-70 range mobs, e.g. baboons, just more of something.  

Trolls are still a pain, a little intelligence on the player side fighting would make troll fighting more fun.  I can knock a troll down repeatedly, but every time he bounces he tags me with extremely hard, seriously i understand he is pissed, but you would think he would start to feel hopeless or that my character would not get tagged 9 times in a row from the same move?  End up with 1 med and 10 lights wounds and like 20% health, 80ql armor?  almost all following stun and bounce from troll?  I get more skill killing a dolphin than a troll, btw and dolphin/octopus is lot easier to kill (harder to find)

1 hour ago, Sarcaticous said:

The only one that seems to be a problem are deer. All others are slow enough to catch as far as I know. As soon as you target them you simply need to get close only once and they stop running. Deer are so fast that even catching up to them is a problem. But that's as it should be. I suppose we could have a flute and play it attracting all animals within a certain radius, especially rats. 

You have not been around many bison?  they sometimes bolt (or used to) and seemingly drawn to impossible slopes and cut at angles that make a pain to catch (as horse does not turn/bank in a remotely real sense), on par with a deer some times

Edited by ClericGunem

I'd definitely like to see some improvement to trolls.  Something, anything, to somewhat offset the horrendous wear and tear they inflict on armor and shields.  I've started ignoring them when possible because they're just not worth it.

• Like 10

19 minutes ago, Amadee said:

I'd definitely like to see some improvement to trolls.  Something, anything, to somewhat offset the horrendous wear and tear they inflict on armor and shields.  I've started ignoring them when possible because they're just not worth it.

Yes and they give minimal fight skill compared to the damage they do - although I should be happy on it being an armoursmith :D Now with the new COD costs it may rocket the business of armour sets.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chiqa said:

Would be good if you could say, activate primary weapon (e.g. sword) -> right click secondary (e.g. shield) and "make noise". If this caused hostile mobs to move slightly towards you (not full aggro) and non-hostile mobs to move slightly away from you (not full fleeing) then it would be an effective way to herd animals within a certain range maybe.

• Like 4

I would love to see a way to call aggros to you that are in your local range. Also get mobs off the cliffs of wurm, get them out of the mines of wurm that we have no hope of reaching (talk to your devs if you need more info). Trolls are just for killing players and annoying them, perhaps we can get a "club" that does 3x the dmg vs trolls and lets us clean them up out of an area? Alternatively all trolls drop 10c and everyone will hunt them :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Warlander said:

Anacondas should drop a small-ish amount of hides, say 1 or 2 kgs.

As to balancing animals and loot I always wanted that the difficulty of the mob scales the quality of the loot.

Basically you take the current mechanism and then

• on a young or adolescent critter do nothing
  • on a mature critter add 5ql
  • on a aged critter add 10ql
  • on a old critter add 15ql
  • on a venerable one add 20ql
  • on a fierce or raging one add 20ql
  • on a greenish one add 25ql
  • on a champion one add 30 ql
  • on critters with other conditions do nothing

If the result of these calculations goes above 100 you cap them back to ql100.00.

Makes taking on the harder critters more fun. Nothing is worse than to tackle a venerable champion mob and all you get is a few meats and a ql 4.7 tooth. :)

• Like 9

1 hour ago, ClericGunem said:

You have not been around many bison?  they sometimes bolt (or used to) and seemingly drawn to impossible slopes and cut at angles that make a pain to catch (as horse does not turn/bank in a remotely real sense), on par with a deer some times

All the time. I have no problem targeting them and then starting to attack. I have no problem starting to leading them. They are slow. They are never as fast as a deer. 

Still, we do need some way to get mobs off mountains. Also could we have some sort of disguise like the North American plains indians used to approach herds of buffalo. They got really close by wearing buffalo skins and heads. Had to before horses came to North America (again). Same could be used to approach deer. Maybe use wind direction in some way too. Or use animal scents to disguise yourself or draw them. Maybe a bonus for surprising them.

Edited by Sarcaticous

Or add a craftable lasso item that lets you lead/immobilize weaker creatures.

• Like 1

Tweak Valrei mobs so that they can't AOE or throw.

It's just annoying.

• Like 2

Some half-baked ideas:

- More variable speeds on creatures

- Max Slope checks on creatures so they can't scale a mountain when shot with 1 arrow

- Archery should be bonused with hunting arrows vs. non-players, non-tamed, non-dominated creatures. (or do something about archery, it's lame)

- Add server-unique resources that can only be obtained by creatures on a given server

- Create a hunting server, with persistent dungeons and end-game content or events.

- Reduce the formula which makes creatures attracted to bridges.. as bridges are creature traps.

- Give creatures strengths and weaknesses which are more noticeable

- Add more variety in difficulty between creatures so its not, Easy, Troll, Unique after 70 FS.

- Make it easier to switch targets without killing your horse (attack hotkey)

- Perhaps a way to 'assist' the target of another player

- Add group hunting incentives (which don't require a scheduled event)

- Add more viability to the various weapons and maybe even buff tools (which can be used as weapons)

- Make dual wield viable

- Add more/better combat animations (Smacking someone with a spear is funny though)

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Wraithglow said:

Would be good if you could say, activate primary weapon (e.g. sword) -> right click secondary (e.g. shield) and "make noise". If this caused hostile mobs to move slightly towards you (not full aggro) and non-hostile mobs to move slightly away from you (not full fleeing) then it would be an effective way to herd animals within a certain range maybe.

THIS is a GREAT IDEA !!!  a simple player controlled effect that moves mobs with a set range...   +1   

7 hours ago, Trake said:

Add group hunting incentives (which don't require a scheduled event)

9 hours ago, Wraithglow said:

Combine these. Let multiple players "link" their "make noise" and summon more powerful monsters as well as any already spawned monsters in the area.

Make trolls drop clubs between 45-55ql and make kings/cyclops/giants drop 90ql ones.

Also add hearts (t5 healing ingredient) as a drop to trolls aswell.

Add a 5% chance to drop each of the 6 mushroom types (30% total) to goblins.

50% chance of small quantities of iron coins (1-30) from goblins and trolls. (this wont affect the economy in any way but should amuse players slightly.

0.1% chance to drop a 30-60ql fine or regular fishing rod from sharks. (0.2% or 1 in 500 in total)

0.2% chance to drop a longspear of 40-70ql from sharks

1% chance to drop each of the leather armour pieces at 20-35ql from goblins. (6% in total)

Add a 100% chance for 1 piece of source salt as a drop to ghost-type valrei creatures. (they are a massive pain in the ass to kill and give nothing of value atm)

Tripple the ammount of butcherable leather of crocodiles.

Add charcoal to hell scorpions.

This should be easy peasy lemon squeezy stuff for ya devs, just look up the item ID and add the appropiate chance to drop. nothing new code wise.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 4

All creatures should have a special butcher item that can only be obtained by that creature. Like octospies only give ink. Get more of this going on, Or even just increase the output of butchering for certain creatures depending on how well its fed. example: So fat pigs(breeded) actually give a size-able amount of meat and plenty of fat.

Trolls need to be re-balanced to be slower, Its a troll, not a giant badass human. Trolls are big, stupid, slow and strong. In wurm there clever, quick thinking armor destroying beasts that really dont fit the description of a troll whatsoever. And they dont give any rewards worth killing for. If anything give it a chance to have a special lump on it like 0.5 kg of glimmer, Because what monster wouldn't pick up a shiny metal ball?!? Monsters love shinies

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, akaedis said:

If anything give it a chance to have a special lump on it like 0.5 kg of glimmer

Now thats crazy talk.

It's a troll, its weak, it sure as heck doesnt deserve to give glimmer/serryl/ada.

High ql lumps of silver/gold however, I could dig that. like 70-99ql.

• Like 3