Sign in to follow this  
vestruvian

Starting with nothing because of hell hounds

now that hell hounds drop charcoal for steel, a start with nothing playstyle is more viable, but I'll need a friend or two to help me stay on track, I plan on making an alt but I haven't chosen a server yet, and help would be appreciated

Eh? I don't understand. Are you saying a noob can start with nothing because hell hounds drop charcoal? :wacko:

Charcoal + iron = steel

Steel + flint = flint and steel

Probably the hardest thing for a n00bie to replace if they do one of those survivor things where you throw all your n00bie stuff away when you start.

I am pretty sure that's what he is talking about.

• Like 2

It's also pretty difficult for a newbie to kill a hell hound, especially if the only fire they can ever make is a campfire. This is a terrible idea.

that's why I need friends to help me zerg rush hell hounds :D unless I find a hell hound near guards, it'll be hard to kill them by myself

Just ask someone for a steel + flint, or make a new character and drop it in the woods for yourself.

If you're on southwest Deli I can give you steel and flint, and whatnot.

I think you guys are missing the point.  It's not about needing to know how to get a new steel and flint, it's about the satisfaction of starting literally from scratch and building or making everything.  Pure survival, bootstrapping your way up from absolute zero. It's a personal thing. (and personally, I think it's nuts... I have better things to do than scratch in the dirt and die 25 times to hell hounds to get a new steel and flint, but if that is what you find fun, then yes, it's a bit easier now)

• Like 1

maybe the devs can make a new crude tool with a branch and a knife and make a fire starter thing of some kind till they can work their way up to steel and flint. 

Edited by Kegan

Can't you start a fire from kindling and a branch or something - thought there was an alternative to steel and flint.

Yeah, just rub two sticks together. :)

At least now you can actually start with nothing but your clothes if you are so inclined to masochism.

Edited by Sarcaticous

Gave the kindling and wood scrap to make fire a try - worked well. Now if only there was a way to take a burning branch and use that to light a forge....

this guy gets it also you need flint and steel to light forges, ovens, and char piles,