Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Developer Q&A plans

9 minutes ago, permo said:
  • Remove low nutrition penalty

I dont understand this one. Doesnt it make hot food cooking completely useless? Why eat a 90 ql meal instead of 1 ql horse meat? seems to dumb down the game in an unnecessary way?

removing the penalty won't affect the bonus you get at high nutrition, newbies just won't be penalized for having low nutrition

@ Devs: Any plans to balance meditation, sorcery, valrei buffs / debuffs? What about the new armors that were mentioned a while back (which are partially written into the WU source code)?

Edited by MisterTeddy

With the exception of "invasion events", this looks like a great way of making the game much more player friendly. I look forward to seeing these changes implemented.

Please look into fixing  animal spawns / creatures getting stuck on mountains.

• Like 2

So, in Combat changes, I didn't see "Do away with the horrible text-based watch-my-character-fight crappy combat system and make it more interactive."

After this many years, don't you think that should be number 1 on your list? Your combat is the worst in all online games, I just sit there and watch my character fight, and this turns off a lot of players.

I think to better address the talk about JOAT priest would be to make different levels of priest so the higher level of a priest you are the more spells you have access to and less abilities. 

When you start off you don't have all the restrictions but at each new priest name change you could have to speak to a higher  priest to change and then the abilities get lowered and the spells get increased.

It's like bishop /arch bishop so forth they have tiers in there ranks and I believe this would be better system for priest. 

This is now the moment, where WU starts directly affecting the course of WO.. Why many people were against the idea of WU in the first place. Some of the changes feel very desperate(skillgain and timers).. some of course are ok.

• Like 4

Is there any plans on improving the trees? There was talk about them a while ago getting an overhaul and we still have not seen any changes to them. 

Hello, quite sensitive question here. On the epic servers, in JK kingdom, one group consistent of good fighters, tend to forbid other players of the same kingdom to join in on events like killing a unique, and keep the dragonhide, or join in the HotA event to gain Glimmer and Adamantium for themself, or look for treasurechests -  If they do, they tend to get killed by the same kingdom players.

Fightings/kills between players of the same very kingdom, especially the (roleplay-wise) "good and righteous" JK kingdom, shouldn't be allowed, or should give heavy reputation penalty, when not hunted or outcasted, which doesn't seem to work atm.

Now I read about the new "invasions", in which i see the same problem occuring..

Will Rolf look onto this problem, of kills inside the same kingdom and the correct distribution of items to all the players who actualy want to join in these events, but are driven away or killed by others? (Uniques, HotA, Treasurechests, Invasions) Thanks!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rixk said:

This is now the moment, where WU starts directly affecting the course of WO.. Why many people were against the idea of WU in the first place. Some of the changes feel very desperate(skillgain and timers).. some of course are ok.

Once they go down that road we can not come back. Then we will hear things like "need to raise skills to 150"

18 minutes ago, Daryan_AT said:

Hello, quite sensitive question here. On the epic servers, in JK kingdom, one group consistent of good fighters, tend to forbid other players of the same kingdom to join in on events like killing a unique, and keep the dragonhide, or join in the HotA event to gain Glimmer and Adamantium for themself, or look for treasurechests -  If they do, they tend to get killed by the same kingdom players.

Fightings/kills between players of the same very kingdom, especially the (roleplay-wise) "good and righteous" JK kingdom, shouldn't be allowed, or should give heavy reputation penalty, when not hunted or outcasted, which doesn't seem to work atm.

Now I read about the new "invasions", in which i see the same problem occuring..

Will Rolf look onto this problem, of kills inside the same kingdom and the correct distribution of items to all the players who actualy want to join in these events, but are driven away or killed by others? (Uniques, HotA, Treasurechests, Invasions) Thanks!

Looool

1 hour ago, Mclovin said:

Will players living around starter towns like Esteron, Whitefay and etc have at least some kind of say into changing the design of the starter towns

• Make skills increase every successful action instead of per tick

Why are we still playing? Everything else looks good, but this, seriously?

Edit: This will dumb down the game so that a 2 year old can play it. No optimizing required and its gonna go totally nobrain.

The casuals play WU, not WO. Because WO is far to expensive compared to WU.

Edited by whykillme
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Mclovin said:

It would be a new player-buff on a timer i assume. It's below the New Player suggestions

It's also listed under the "Home" section.  Sounds to me like someone is thinking of removing it altogether. 

• Like 1

Make skills increase every successful action instead of per tick

Please don't make WO like Challenge.

• Like 1

From what i understand(not 100% sure) that we will be able to go to any border on our server and be able to select any server like Pristine to cross over too..I think that's a very bad change.. cuts off the realism and gives a feeling of being in a ordinary MMO where you see a loading screen and poof,you are miles away..Wurm is unique!!! Faster boats will do just fine, and you can rearange the servers borders but just that!! Please! ( i hate sailing my self.. but i also love it!! its just an awesome feeling to sail through other servers to get where you want..

Please don't tho this!!( again if i understood right)

• Like 8

Oh and this one.........

"Reshaping of abandoned land, especially along the coasts"

If you do something like this, please be very, very, very careful with how it's coded.  I can see where this could easily destroy access and travel routes that people have put a lot of effort into if it's not thought through thoroughly. Please do not do this if you're going to do it in typical Wurm style. (ie: applying a full body cast for a sprained ankle or chasing a bug with a sledge hammer.)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 5

54 minutes ago, Daryan_AT said:

this makes no sense whatsoever, its like saying you have to include eveyone, and god forbid not everyone be included or not working as a whole kingdom

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dingov said:

can nathan have locate soul please

6Co31Xb.gif

• Like 5

I love the sound of Invasion events. I see a lot of down votes to this idea, so I thought I'd chime in with my upvote.

Everything else looks like great additions and a good path for the development of the game. I don't really care about the skill increase change. Someone said it wont affect the speed of skilling up so i don't really see much difference except in how we would go about optimizing our skill gains. I think it makes a lot more sense to get skill ups on successful actions. I am guessing this would translate to using only high ql woa + coc tools for everything, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Wurm Online is a lot about building your home on the internet. These changes focus on the social and community aspects of Wurm, enabling a more fluid sense of gameplay and more customisation options giving you the opportunity to customise your little piece of Wurm to make it even more unique.

• Invasion events with system generated loot: Magical Rings, Necklaces, Capes, Shoulder pads and other treasures
  • More construction options
  • New useful items
  • Reshaping of abandoned land, especially along the coasts
  • Offer name changes - needs a carefully developed system to avoid griefing
  • Make skills increase every successful action instead of per tick - be careful with it, skillgain on WU system is too easy, it already makes all toons equally skilled in a few months there. Many of us are grinders and proud of our hard earned skills....
  • Better tools shorten action times - like skillticks above...
  • More uses for the different metals
  • Remove all decay on deed
  • Severely reduce timers for moving stuff around
  • Glassblowing and consider Taxidermi skills and items
  • Possibility to build fences and gates a bit below water level
  • Remove low nutrition penalty - less sickly fat people in Wurm :P
  • Use salt for storage of fish in barrels
  • Various tile modification options such as clay - remove, make clay? If so it is green on my list :)
  • Sitting on ground
  • Consider items to sell on traders as expensive money sinks
  • Look into usefulness of spells
  • Severely reduce mailing costs

Exploration and travel

Exploring in Wurm is a big part of the game once you’ve established your safe haven. Whether you're hunting for your next kill or delivering goods, you all travel far and wide across our servers. This section will deal with improvements in that area.

• Faster boat travel between servers - more connection between servers / popup list on server to teleport to on border as it removes immersion a lot.
  • Look into boat (and possibly other vehicles) speed affected by Quality Level
  • Possibility to lead more creatures
  • Adding a passenger on the Wagon
  • Possibility to furl sail

Combat

Wurm aspires to provide the most meaningful and rewarding PvP environment available, and eventually also the most fun and involving. These changes will affect both PvE and Pvp combat meaning small changes and not an overhaul of the entire system. Such a change will take more time to implement and has a longer term plan.

• New creatures
  • Improvement to creature behaviour and fighting styles
  • Change Battle Camps in order to create focus points for PvP
  • Reconsider the guard tower system
  • Publish leaderboards on the web site
  • Add or change loot on various creatures
  • Look into removing archery nerfs for armour
  • Increase usefulness of pets (mainly in PvE). Traits.
  • Move some currently gender specific ability spells.

New Players

New players are extremely important in the continuation of the game, both in terms of ecomony and community. These changes will focus on areas that affect new players and improve their experience.

• Remove low nutrition penalty
  • Ad contests/Improved referral system
  • Increasing WO awareness among Wurm Unlimited players
  • Look into improvements of the tutorial area - most useful of this section, I think
  • Gui improvements, try new to options to right-click etcd

Miscellaneous

These changes do not come directly under one of the previous listings, and as such are listed here.

• Wurm Unlimited Mod API
  • Proprietary Model Format - smaller download and faster loading
  • New renderer
  • Continued bugfixing :)
  • Launcher improvements, for instance checking if servers are up
  • GUI icons, both actions and items. This area could use quite a bit of improvement, both size (make them larger, scaling them down as an option is easy) and amount (way too many items miss icons).

I'm in lazy mode here, colorcoded my opinions to the items - and been putting some remarks ...

• Like 1

mfw they revert conquering towers when the damage has already been done. I'd say leave that one out until a map reset :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

I think it makes a lot more sense to get skill ups on successful actions. I am guessing this would translate to using only high ql woa + coc tools for everything, correct me if I'm wrong.

It means just by default faster skill gains since you will have tons and tons of successes. Then add Woa and Coc. The change for tools to decrease timers. Then grind on low quality items to give tons of ticks. I feel its gonna make the freedom cluster a lot like epic except without the skill curve.

• Like 1

Oooo exciting! Lots of good stuff there. Thanks for sharing the plans with us!

8 minutes ago, Evilvision said:

It means just by default faster skill gains since you will have tons and tons of successes. Then add Woa and Coc. The change for tools to decrease timers. Then grind on low quality items to give tons of ticks. I feel its gonna make the freedom cluster a lot like epic except without the skill curve.

Add that to work only for levels under 80-90.. and that turns the game into casual skillgrind.. or working for all making 90+ skilled players quit in a month or 2.. asap they get the 100.00 titles and get bored. Guessing .. one of the things keeping some people around is to just beat that 100.00 level :unsure: