Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Developer Q&A plans

if were going to move meditation abilities, remove some and add new ones

gone for timed ability, remove clean wound and add your 10% swing speed thing as a passive

sound good ye or do we still want a massive health pool permanently

Edited by MetalDragon

perma, it's great for hunting naked ok

edit: and wouldn't really change fights if it's timed  vs perma

Edited by MrGARY

On 12/8/2015 at 11:25 AM, OceanRefuge said:

what about if we could pay to change chars names ?

thats not likly to happen due to the fact several people intentionally make a bad name for themselves would be pretty nasty for those kinda people to just change there name after  ripping people off or harrassing other players

• Like 2

Offer name changes
- I hope there is some way to track names, would be a shame that SoandSo that ripped of SuchandSuch or griefed or has a bad reputation doesn't continue to do so with a new name. 

Make skills increase every successful action instead of per tick
- Can you be more specific about this? As it is now you would use a ( for example ) 90ql Pick with 100 WoA to mine  10k shards and maybe get a few skill ups. With the way this is worded you would get 10k Skills up using the same tool but in less time ( every successful action - mining? or the 1.1 to 39.9 ql shards. As this is worded now skiller tools would be obsolete in that with a low ql high coc tool vs high ql high woa tool you would get more skill ups with the high ql high woa tool. Would hate to see someone come in after someone of 2 years hitting 99.99 and 2 weeks later hits 90 

Better tools shorten action times
- We already have that it's called WoA and BotD best bet is to get rid of the negative impact of 
gaining skill while using a fast tool ( see the skill increase on every successful action )

Remove low nutrition penalty
- Why do we have Nutrition anyways not like we can starve to death as it is.

Use salt for storage of fish in barrels
- Just way to complicated, for instance and this is a Generous number say out of 100 tiles mined only 1 gives Salt, and say 
out of that tile ( mining straight, plus ceiling ) gives 100 chances, you still only have a low percentage of getting salt.
1. You would have to give us Salt tiles to mine, or some other way to gather the Salt resource - time that could otherwise be 
spent doing something else.
2. Uncomplicated Answer - 25 Planks + 1 Ribbon + 4 Large Nails = Fish Rack much simpler and gives us something new to create 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AceRifle said:
  • Faster boat travel between servers.

About time. 

Just Means round world.  Still has nothing to do with Actual travel time.  Still might take you 8 hours to get from one side of the server to the next.

For example You have a delivery from NE Xanadu to SW Xanadu, unless I misunderstand what they are saying, you Still have to travel across the server with the same crappy wind against you and crappy boat speed. ( Note they did mention increasing boat speed - THAT is what we want most of all )

18 minutes ago, Stormblade said:

Just Means round world.  Still has nothing to do with Actual travel time.  Still might take you 8 hours to get from one side of the server to the next.

For example You have a delivery from NE Xanadu to SW Xanadu, unless I misunderstand what they are saying, you Still have to travel across the server with the same crappy wind against you and crappy boat speed. ( Note they did mention increasing boat speed - THAT is what we want most of all )

Through manipulation of the way borders work, you could go to the north border to cross to say, south deli, and then sale from the SE corner across to SW xan. You wouldn't have to sail around the entire server

4 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Through manipulation of the way borders work, you could go to the north border to cross to say, south deli, and then sale from the SE corner across to SW xan. You wouldn't have to sail around the entire server

Ok that is a nice example, but is crossing say a 1 per 1. If i'm at the Top NE Corner of Indy will i show up on the Top NE Corner of Xan? if not then I still have to sail, possibly against the wind going 6kph to get to a point that I can cross to another server at the specified area I want to cross at.

Bear in mind that this list is also a work in progress, we're collecting and taking feedback on all issues, identifying what is desired, and what requires more time and testing. Some of these changes are quick adjustments that should work smoothly, others will require rounds of testing and balancing as well as player feedback.

We are listening, and there is a plan, this is just the draft.

Retrograde, any feedback on the stuff that didn't make the list here?  Any reason why it didn't?  It would be nice to know if thing are being considered for later implementation or if it will just not be implemented at all.

also, now that warm code is our there, was there any thought of the debs approaching the community and trying to crowd source solutions to bugs or features?  It might be worth considering. 

3 hours ago, MrGrimreaper said:

thats not likly to happen due to the fact several people intentionally make a bad name for themselves would be pretty nasty for those kinda people to just change there name after  ripping people off or harrassing other players

Um did you not read the Change sheet name changes will be a paid service soon and it's about time.

• Like 1

About time I don't need to kill a stupidly rare vein, or make a specific item, for the max skill gain.  Major love for changing the skill tics. (and I say this having 90 is every useful skill)

Now maybe I can actually do some more enjoyable events without worrying I'm not gaining max gain. (or in most cases, none at all)

The invasion events *sound* very interesting, Though I will wait to see how they play out.  They could be really, really, cool. on the other hand, they could be another problem...

All the other updates look awesome as well, and thank you for finally looking at movement speed across the board.

*Note* This won't allow people to get 100 skill in a month (or even few) like people are thinking.  beside, we don't even yet know what the tic per action would be. (could be less optimal then the normal ways atm) but it will allow people to do DIFFERENT things in  the skill, instead of always needing to do the exact specific one.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2015 at 7:30 AM, Retrograde said:

Make skills increase every successful action instead of per tick

I cannot describe how much I want this.

Awesome!

But there is one thing that makes me worry.

Reshaping of abandoned land, especially along the coasts

It's very nice to have already terraformed pieces of land, especially when there're roads, even when the pavement decays, the levelling stays there. of course, sometimes it looks ugly, but it's all players' work and money... Well, if this will be done by GM team manually, and not automatically turned into some awful aggressive ladscape that would take months to terraform, then it's another pair of shoes :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Some very nice improvements planned there - well done!

Would be grateful to know if the minimum height of longer bridges is to be reduced to ship passable height, i.e. 30 or 40 above water level - and, if not, why not?  Please answer these questions, as this is wanted by many players.

I am not building any more bridges until I know the answers to these questions - becoming a game spoiler for me...

"Roundworlding" I could see.... something liiiiike south Cele to north Pristine, and north Inde to south Release.

(the East-West part... west Chaos to east Pristine and west Exodus to east Release?)

Random top of my head.. though that map looks kinda cool in my mind hehehe

Some creative shortcutting to be had there.

The teleporting though.... if you're gonna do that may as well go all the way and allow teleporting with cart from your server's spawn point to others' and back (no sarcasm, seriously).  Urgh... weleporting =P

Edited by Mordraug

I haven't read everyone's post but I can't be the only one that sorta disagrees with this-

• Make skills increase every successful action instead of per tick

I completely am fine with the skillgains right now, because you get skill over time no matter what the outcome.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Cornchips said:

I haven't read everyone's post but I can't be the only one that sorta disagrees with this-

I completely am fine with the skillgains right now, because you get skill over time no matter what the outcome.

Agreed.  Seems to me this will only benefit those who already have high enough skills to be getting successes fairly often anyway.  Great for high skill players and really, really, bad for low skills.  What about when skill is still so low you have to repeat actions forever to get one lousy success, or when skill is already high enough that you almost never fail? 

Unless they're planning to negate success based on skill, (which would negate the reason for having high skill in the first place), and would screw up, and require endless tweaking of, more things than I can think of right now.

Edited by Amadee

Offer name changes

There is alot of argument that griefers  would use this to change there identity to re-abuse ppl again. What is the difference between them creating or buying a account, and coming to ruin the carebear parade, then giving names changes? If you must insist on keeping a log on all names who the character was before, i ask you do the same for people who log into the same computer and role play multiple people. Any account that logs into one IP address show up as associated with each other. This will ensure no one ever gets any privacy at all, and cannot start again as someone new. It will also be hilarious to find out who is really who behind all these names :D

The reason i totally disagree with keeingp the names of characters on record is i plan on buying a char someday, and i don't wan to inherit there rep, whatever it may be. How can someone prove they are not the person who owned the character before?

Edited by Rocklobstar
addtional info
  • Like 1

In Wurm's current system, the best you can hope for is a skillgain rate of just over 50%, and the streaky nature of random numbers means that large sample sizes are required before you can be confident of your skillgain rate.  It is excessive--even in Wurm--to need to repeat an action hundreds of times before you know if you're on the right track.

My ideal skillgain system would be one where skill increases on every action, but the base size of the increase (before effects like COC, Knowledge 11, high nutrition, etc) is modified by how far the action was from the "optimal" difficulty for your effective skill.  A player should be able to tweak their item QLs and see immediate changes in skillgain, allowing them to find their best tool QL through a reasonable amount of trial and error.  If the skillgain size for individual actions was changed accordingly, this system would produce minimal change to overall skillgain speed while giving meaningful feedback to the player.

I never have played with the Challenge system, but I do remember reading about it rewarding easy actions done with high quality tools.  While I can see the reasoning behind "your best tool should be your best tool, period", I do not agree with how that would manifest ingame.  Wurm's current system rewards the player for challenging their character by doing actions that are difficult without being too difficult, and it creates a somewhat interesting system where equipment is oriented around either skillgain or production.  If that was changed, an entire class of equipment and items would become obsolete.  To make a real-world analogy, it would not make sense for someone to master a field by focusing on easy tasks that even a novice can handle.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Noizhead said:

My ideal skillgain system would be one where skill increases on every action, but the base size of the increase (before effects like COC, Knowledge 11, high nutrition, etc) is modified by how far the action was from the "optimal" difficulty for your effective skill.  A player should be able to tweak their item QLs and see immediate changes in skillgain, allowing them to find their best tool QL through a reasonable amount of trial and error.  If the skillgain size for individual actions was changed accordingly, this system would produce minimal change to overall skillgain speed while giving meaningful feedback to the player.

This is probably the best suggestion I've seen so far.  It's an excellent compromise between those that want to see skill gain with every successful action and those that want the "challenge" of tweaking item QL for the best skillgain ratio.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the prospect of offering name changes, even if some system was devised to keep public record of the previous name (or.. hopefully *all* previous names).

Now, I'm about to admit something I'm not proud of.. BUT because I love the game Wurm Online is (and hopefully stays) I will divulge this....

I used to play Runescape... a lot...

That, however, was a long time ago, before all the various changes they made that made the game unrecognizable to me.  It turned into this bizzare place where everything was "buy, buy, buy!", and pay-to-win, all the name changes..., the long hours spent on grinding up no longer meant a thing.. The old game and the old community no longer existed.  Runescape was never the game WO is, both in terms of "community" feel and overall jist, but even that loss of community was just .. wiped away.. all gone.  I never wanted to quit Runescape.. because I had loved the game for so long, but I just couldn't stand what it was anymore and pried myself away.  It wasn't Runescape.

Maybe bringing Runescape up isn't the best idea.. because.. I want Rolf to make lots of money and keep WO going forever.. and with all the money-grabbing reputation that Jagex has gained they are probably still rolling in some serious dough...

Now.. I want Rolf to roll in dough.. but because Wurm Online is 100% unique and I love the game, and it has carefully improved upon *itself* over time.  Not because he feels he needs to fundamentally change it. 

But if you think about it... WO may not be huge (and I do hope it continues to grow!).. but it holds out its own as different and even against  .. dare I speak the name.. Minecraft.  On top of that there are now games trying to knock off Wurm Online and snatch up the player-base that Wurm Online specifically caters to.

I like the slow "grind".  I enjoy coming here and putting my efforts little by little toward something larger that takes more time to achieve and feels better when it is achieved, and I enjoy the process and the community(mostly) :)

If I wanted to play a game *like* Wurm Online but with less of what WO is.. I'd go play Minecraft..

Wurm Online I fear would not be successful if it tried to be Minecraft.. Minecraft is already taken. 

Wurm Online can continue to grow and reach yet-unknown heights of AWESOME as  "Wurm Online". 

Some changes are improvements, and some (the kind that shouldn't take place) are game changing

Offering name changes is fundamentally game changing. 

It tears apart the community. 

It diminishes the philosophy that Wurm Online has always held that everything about Wurm is molded over time by us, the players.  The terrain is player "made", and the community is player "made" and "tight-knit" (sometimes for good and sometimes for bad).. and this includes our reputations being our "own"

It absolutely equates to "pay-to-win".  Giving a good portion of the long time, loyal, player-base a big slap in the face... when not only can anyone buy their way to skills (by purchasing an account from a third party that they put no time into).. but they can also have whatever name they please to go along with it.. as if they had played the account from scratch.  This is having their cake AND eating it too!!!... This goes against all laws of nature!  You either have your cake in your hands.. or you have eaten it and it is gone.... or you have some fraction of each.  You never have all of both, it's unnatural.

As for the other proposed items on the tentative "plan" .. some of them sound like they could be improvements to WO and some sound like they are frantic jumps, and not in-line with Wurm Online.

The other options that cause me some concern, and if implemented I think would require very extensive fleshing-out and forethought and testing before release would include:

• The changes to ticks and tools/timers -- this could very well be game changing.
  • Removing low nutrition penalty -- I understand that this is mostly geared towards helping new players venture off.  But, as a blanket "remove" I have concerns.  Stormblade already expressed "Why do we have Nutrition anyways not like we can starve to death as it is." in relation to this potential change.  I don't see any reason why WO shouldn't continue to have a "functioning" nutrition system for the playerbase at large.  Removing the penalty entirely is a considerable change in game workings.
  • Various tile modification options such as clay -- As I understand, if this was implemented it would be meant to be arduous to convert an area to a resource.  I'm on the fence on this one, as it could be an ok change.. or it could result in a more "never leave the deed" atmosphere.  Also, would all these playe rmade resource areas eventually degrade, or would they stick around indefinitely?
  • Reshaping of abandoned land, especially along the coasts -- I'm having a hard time thinking of how this can successfully be implemented, unless it is done manually and that would be a lot of work!  The idea of old areas sort of .. gradually reshaping to a more natural terrain.. well that might be sort of nice for newcomers not wanting to see old abandoned terraforming.. on the other hand will it conflict with old intentionally changed and still wanted changes?... If we start stepping in and intervening in the player's "sandbox" where is the line on what we modify and what we don't?  Currently WO is all *sandbox* and the staff will not interfere or intervene in that process (unless it is breaking some rule,and then usually any "damage" done is up to players to fix... even Heritage sites are ultimately up to the players to keep maintained... )
  • Consider items to sell on traders as expensive money sinks -- well... this again needs to be very carefully done, so as not to turn into something counter-productive to the spirit of WO.  I don't think most people would like items that devalue what is and can be achieved w/o the item, or give that type of "advantage" over the usual "manual labor"
  • Name changes -- already discussed.. at length.. but in-case anyone skipped the top part of this novel and is unaware I disagree with the idea

I sincerely hope if any of these potentially game-changing ideas are adopted that there will be very definite and clear-cut research and results to show that it is truly what "the players want", and what is best for the game - and not a more nebulous version of "this is the vibe I got and from that vibe I feel there is majority support".  I don't mean this offensively, though I'm sure over the internet the words don't look great.. its just that for a SUBSTANTIAL change I feel there should be substantial and demonstrable research/market-research done.  For a small change less "burden of proof" would be needed.  Even if it is felt there is sufficient data to say a "majority" wanted a game-changer to happen, I think it would be be exceedingly wise to have these facts already pre-gathered and ready to show the "non-majority" who will not agree with the change, when/if that change occurs, if not before.  This may soften the blow those players would likely feel.

I don't usually come out and post these sorts of "strong" opinions, but I feel it is my duty to put my voice and concerns out in an instance, like this one, where input is sought on potentially very large game changes.  Of course, many have probably noticed my tag is staff - I am posting here as a concerned player, and my opinion is mine alone.

If my posts resonates with you, by all means please do "Like" it to give it more weight in terms of consideration.

• Like 3

Wurm is a amazing game and is unique. But there is no game with out flaws! WO has the ability to tailor to a lot of people and there game style but it is also one of WO's biggest flaws. What is the flaw? The flaw is it is tailored to a handful and the rest is left out. This handful that warp Rolfs mind on how the game needs to be is the Flaw. 

Every server is almost identical.Why? You have Epic and Chaos. Example chaos is always asking to merge servers in these forums. See these group of people asking for the merge don't care for anyone else's game style play but there own. Then you have a ton of freedom server's PVE clusters all the same. So what is the reason why WO can't grow? why does it reach a cap of players and that's it? I will explain.

RWMT there is part of the cap. Beyond popular believe among those who play WO now and no one to comment on these forums against there opinion's these people are not here cause they don't like and they absolutely hate RWMT system game's.

Why has there never been a server made in a separate cluster that has a built in money system not based on the real world dollar? This is why you are caped on player base. Every time this gets mentioned  the people who love RWMT will boo to high heaven about it cause they don't want that massive group of players on there own server. Why? Well if there on a different server and don't have to use a RWMT system they can't make money off them. So they down the idea. So wurm will never grow past it's gap. A clue is how many people left WO to play WU where they could escape this RWMT system? So this group of players influence CC to not do this and in return are also responsible for the player base cap.

Would it hurt these players if CC made a separate cluster with no ties to older server's with a new in game money system? No would it hurt the capital income? No. So why hasn't this been done?

Money sink item's with enhancement's = PTW. Purchased account's =PTW all tho I see Rolfs view on this player trading. Does WO need more money sink item's that are enhanced? No. Cosmetic profit items sold on traders? Yes. It is capital gain.

Grinding skill's. Does it need to there? Some say no it needs to go faster. I say there is nothing wrong with the skill system and how long it takes to achieve them. Only thing I see a issue is with some timers that don't need to exist which have been talked about and mentioned will be removed. Example loading push pull etc... it is a time sink and waste and need to be removed.

Name changes. Do we need them? Yes. Many will argue there points which can all be bypassed by some mechanic. example people talk about reputation which is a cop out excuse to not have them. So John doe here gets a bad rep what stops him from making a alt and deceiving you? Alt = free name change. 

As of right now you could throw a ton of money at advertisement and it might bring in some people but they will leave within a month after discovering a few thing's I will post now. This is me as a new comer who doesn't like RWMT system. Sub ok I'm cool.  I do this in every mmo I play just about." + Land purchase -"  What the heck I don't get land? You mean I got to pay how much for these squares? "+ Monthly upkeep - " You mean I got to do what now? I got to buy more silver or become some ones personal slave? You mean there is no other way to get money other than a time cap selling items to a token which will only give me few iron coins per item I sell based on my QL and as a noob I get craped on cause my QL sucks. So you telling me I have to spend my relaxing time off work  working for someone else in a game or spend endless hours making items to sell to a token to try an pay for my land each month or buy more silver increasing my monthly cost to play this game?  Some will stay like I did for 5 years but will become a hermit some where not really talking to people that much. Majority just Quit after there monthly time is up others Quit before hand.

The WO community is not that nice to alot of new players. These players are met with hostility in chat when they ask what most call a stupid question. I've heard this mentioned a few times "This isn't the game for you good bye." Then this is followed by people in chat alot laughing and saying more unpleasant things. I have seldom tried to send a PM to these people when I caught the chat only to be meet most of the time with this player is not online. If you ever want to hear more Rolf lend me a email of yours and I will share my exp with you. Do to the fact if I say something in this panel which seems to be the only way to speak to you it will get deleted by staff. You have made a system where if someone has a issue you never hear it cause as mentioned before by in the past posters there topics are deleted. Your system is a failure for obvious reasons.

I know I'm Inspirational Rolf so here is some more Inspiration Gazebo_zpsygi7rcrz.jpg

• Like 1

I don't care what anyone says there should not be random skill tick AND a totally arbitrary timer, e.g. meditation.  Seriously?  Make us wait 30 minutes between (fine) unless you have have meditated 4 times in three hours (um, oook, i..um...suppose), oh and have to move at least 10 tiles (huh), and then the skill ticks are random??? wtf !@#$  

3 attempts, not even a frigging soul tick on one of them.  No game should artificiality prevent gains and sure there is the retarded sotg, but i am talking PvE.  Teleport? dont care pretty useless anywhere i go i am going to want to go home with my stuff/horse/ship/wagon.   There is *nothing* so special that should be gated by whatever you want to call the meditation process except maybe sotg and i am so sick of hearing about that i wish someone would just delete it already as it is the only thing that seems most even bother with meditation for

• Like 1