Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Developer Q&A plans

2 hours ago, Jukken said:

Since everyone uses Knarrs (by far the best ship)...I think the bigger ships like Cog or Caravel...should get a "fast travel mode" when leaving server (a popup which server to instantly go to). Would give those ships a meaning, - as long-range travel ships.

Abit of diversity instead of everyone just using knarrs.

No you just allow transporting of animals on them 2 ships seeing there more of a cargo hold ship where animals can be stored where as a Knarr is more of a war ship type. Just do this and maybe have the caravel  have a bigger animal capacity.

• Like 1

Just a note WU is kinda for those who don't like how WO is this also goes for any changes WO will go threw if you don't like them you do have a choice to play WU and run it your way this was the soul purpose of WU.

8 hours ago, Chiqa said:

Lots of good stuff. With the salt+fish we will need some other ways to get salt please. 

Boil sea water in a cauldron and the salt is left in the bottom? 

Surface mining a salt peter resource tile? Though that means a new resource added and not just a mechanic.

• Like 2

These ideas all sound great! Thanks team :)

I would like to especially thank you for the skill up changes.  The current system where lower QL tools give better skill ups has always bothered me to no end!  The only thing I hope is that you are able to keep the current "pace" of skill-ups about the same.

Can you go into move details on

• Wurm Unlimited Mod API
  • Proprietary Model Format - smaller download and faster loading
  • New renderer

Would be very helpful to modders so they plan on how to add new objects into the game ,if these stuff are changing

Such as what format is it being changed to, Is it OBJ , Maya, or 3dmax ?

What support is being added to Wurm Unlimited Mod API ?

Can we get more details on the New Render?

9 hours ago, SmeJack said:

Question for Rolf:

Does it seem right that someone who does not pvp or maybe has taken part in killing one or two people can have a title 'battle'master?

Would a better system not be one where towers, camps, HoTA pillars and missions (everything not killing players) are merely a means to ease/prevent the blood loss of rank decay and not actually give rank also?

There are so many things that could be improved in wurm, some real necessities and other less critical issues. We could have a better tutorial, slightly faster boats, more animal diversity maybe, better pvp mechanics, some tweaks to skillgain and perhaps more efficient ways of gathering resources such as dirt, rocks, ores, etc. But  i just don't see what battle rank has to do with this? It doesn't give extra combat rating, or any meaningful bonus, just a title. As for battle rank being gained through missions, hota pillars, tower, really don't they fall under the spectrum of PvP? Don't they all involve some type of individual or collective work? I don't pvp a lot, it's true, my PC dies if i have more than 20 people in local, but it just seems all PvP involves groups making a sacrifice, either for scenarios, Hota, deed raiding, etc.  As for missions, who cares?   For missions it's just 1 lousy point per mission, whether its to sacrifice 100 breastplates, kill 10 cows or create 1 colossus. It just doesn't seem relevant to the larger issues at hand to be honest. 

1 hour ago, Arkonick said:

No you just allow transporting of animals on them 2 ships seeing there more of a cargo hold ship where animals can be stored where as a Knarr is more of a war ship type. Just do this and maybe have the caravel  have a bigger animal capacity.

I like this ^^

1 hour ago, enoofu said:

Can you go into move details on

• Wurm Unlimited Mod API
  • Proprietary Model Format - smaller download and faster loading
  • New renderer

Would be very helpful to modders so they plan on how to add new objects into the game ,if these stuff are changing

Such as what format is it being changed to, Is it OBJ , Maya, or 3dmax ?

What support is being added to Wurm Unlimited Mod API ?

Can we get more details on the New Render?

The model format will be Collada which is a dae file. They might actually give everyone the process to get it to work. like how to export and what to use to convert it to the proper dae format so it works in the system.

The render can be noticed by the eye. If you log into the WO and watch the tile transition as you get close and then watch it in WU you will see the tile rendering already. The render is already in the WU client but last time I checked it wasn't in WO yet.

If I recall WU was released with it to test it before it gets added to WO but need to confirm that with a dev but I believe I read that some where in this sink hole of topics on one of them.

I read over the QA and found myself wondering how the dev / Rolf could not know the distribution of the current spawn on Xan.

if people want to see the difference in spawn, then go to xan c13 and look at the spawn there, then move to p13 and check the spawns there. Pretty simple to see the enormous difference. c13 has about 1 hardened troll per tile and p13 has one troll per 100 tiles.

This may seem to be an exaggeration but if I have it isn't by much.

I had a heck of a time trying to move through the forests in the north coast but I only run into a troll a week in the south. I was constantly being double and triple teamed in the north. In the south I am the hunter and they are the very elusive prey.

Edited by Halon

1 hour ago, Arkonick said:

The model format will be Collada which is a dae file. They might actually give everyone the process to get it to work. like how to export and what to use to convert it to the proper dae format so it works in the system.

The render can be noticed by the eye. If you log into the WO and watch the tile transition as you get close and then watch it in WU you will see the tile rendering already. The render is already in the WU client but last time I checked it wasn't in WO yet.

If I recall WU was released with it to test it before it gets added to WO but need to confirm that with a dev but I believe I read that some where in this sink hole of topics on one of them.

Model format is currently Collada, so was it a misquote and they are going to give us example insteads

Edited by enoofu

6 minutes ago, enoofu said:

Model format is currently Collada, so was it a misquote and they are going to give us example insteads

I don't think they will change the file type away from collada. I do think they might explain tho to the community who have had problems getting it to work. I've not had any pronlems with Collada at first I did but it was a OP system issue for me. After I went back and fixed my OP system I've had no issues building a model in max and converting it to collada and putting it in WU. There is nothing wrong with Collada but imo I'd rather use fbx files cause I would have more flexability.

2 hours ago, elentari said:

For missions it's just 1 lousy point per mission

Elentari    1413 :)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Miscellaneous

These changes do not come directly under one of the previous listings, and as such are listed here.

• Wurm Unlimited Mod API

I'm curious about this. A WU mod API sounds good in theory. I'm concerned that Wurm's volunteer developers won't have time to make an API that gives us the same freedom we now have with Javassist's code injection, reflection Utilities, and bytecode changes.  We have the power to do anything we want now. I'm not sure what the plan is for server and client.jar's after an official modding api is released.

For me the worst possible case is I have to ask Wurm developers to add things to the modding API to make a WU mod. Perhaps I'm being negative but I just can't see Wurm being able to make a WU Mod API that lets modders do anything they could possible want.

• Make skills increase every successful action instead of per tick
  • Better tools shorten action times

My only concern with this is this might change how difficult skillgain is. Please test it completely thoroughly before implementing anything like this.

For example many skills like woodcutting are only really possible to grind with a trashy quality hatchet with high CoC so you get a long action timer, is the action timer is made faster it could potentially make the skill 10x harder to grind (I hear this is a issue on Epic?)

Don't throw any changes like this in overnight, test it well :)

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone suggested this under exploration:

Right clik on tent gives option to go to Sleep. Sleep bonus may be same as given from sleeping in bed or for example 1/3 of it. This could also be applied to bed ql or type.

Also, making bed for new player is really hard, getting cotton, then making loom, then kill a few bears (with med shield and small sword??? that's not even funny, that's mean!) then all the failurs once you gather all materials, then material loss. Add straw bed that would require simple materials or bed roll.

This one really was strange to me. Materials for Archery target

2 shafts

7 large nails

4 planks

1 rope

Why planks and large nails, 7 of them? You don't need large nails to make large cart.

• Like 1

sotg - a proposed change by somebody stupid or smart. 

[10:09:12] <> when in combat can be activted to recieve a 30 second instant stealth which cannot be interrupted unless you engage combat [Gone] - when you come out of stealth you recieve a 50% shield speed increase

[10:09:17] <> or a 50% parry increase for 60 seconds [Shield]

[10:09:33] <> any movement impairing effects are removed with stealth [hurt debuff]

Shield Of The Gone - The Anti Gank

Edited by Mclovin

To me the above list posted by Retro comes over as rather, well, let's say underwhelming. Sure, there are a ton of nice things in there, features that have been suggested years ago, as well as new creatures and new items. That's very welcome. But it also looks a lot like a grab bag of features thrown in without a clear sense of direction. 

What is missing is a plan about the future of Wurm Online. If this plan exists then you did a good job of hiding it. If the plan does not exist, then even worse. Making WO somewhat easier and faster (faster skills, faster sailing, faster actions, faster pushing, boat teleports) won't bring players back to WO, in fact it might create the opposite effect, because if WO plays the same as WU then people might as well pick the cheaper version. If you want to keep both WU and WO active then you need to make the two versions different - instead you're trying to make them the same.

I do not think that's a smart business decision.

• Like 6

Some good changes coming. My only question. Any changes in the horses? For example my post;

Hope you will add some new horse colors. :) thanks.

the list is pretty fantastic. It would be amazing of half those things were achieved

10 hours ago, soba said:

Elentari    1413 :)

Yep and worth every point of it for 2 years....piece by little piece :D except when im not dying to soba and dingov and lose it

Just remember rolf that if you nerf sotg another path will take its place as the dominant pvp path, imo it should be 35-40% or so with a new level 7 ability

5 hours ago, Eobersig said:

To me the above list posted by Retro comes over as rather, well, let's say underwhelming. Sure, there are a ton of nice things in there, features that have been suggested years ago, as well as new creatures and new items. That's very welcome. But it also looks a lot like a grab bag of features thrown in without a clear sense of direction. 

What is missing is a plan about the future of Wurm Online. If this plan exists then you did a good job of hiding it. If the plan does not exist, then even worse. Making WO somewhat easier and faster (faster skills, faster sailing, faster actions, faster pushing, boat teleports) won't bring players back to WO, in fact it might create the opposite effect, because if WO plays the same as WU then people might as well pick the cheaper version. If you want to keep both WU and WO active then you need to make the two versions different - instead you're trying to make them the same.

I do not think that's a smart business decision.

I can see that. I think this list looks excellent. Lots of things that should have been addressed a long time ago, in my opinion.

For instance certain metals really need something to do with them. Iron is the end all be all and that is unfortunate.

Some spells simply suck and need improvements.

But I have to ask, what do you think they should be adding? The main thing I can think that would be good for the longevity of the game, is a revamped GUI. It's far better than it used to be, but still quite confusing for new players. Heck I have a friend who didn't know there was a timer option in game and was missing the 20m faith ups.

The other thing that would help is fixing or tweaking all the nit picky things that don't make sense or are just plain annoying. For instance, why isn't there a hotkey to repeat a action? If you want to continue to use the rightclick menu then please try and streamline it a bit. I shouldn't have to navigate through a bunch of menus just to meditate. If I right click on grass with no item selection I obviously want to forage or botanize, so why aren't those top level selections?

I setup a rather complex set of .txt bindings so I can just switch between different action sets and use "X", "C" for most actions. This isn't a easy or straightforward solution for new people who end up doing these repetitive actions.

Another thing that would be nice is being able to craft bricks from shards that aren't in your inventory. It isn't going to break anything to allow this and would save a ton of back and forth movements.

Moving from bulk storage to bulk storage should also be faster. All of the new people I have played with have expressed frustration at this mechanic. It is incredibly annoying when you are going around in a large cart collecting into a large crate and you can't easily move that to a BSB elsewhere.

In summary, I like the list of things they are doing here. But I think they should spend some time focusing on the learning curve, a lot of which is the obtuse GUI and the annoying time wasting quirks.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mclovin said:

sotg - a proposed change by somebody stupid or smart. 

[10:09:12] <> when in combat can be activted to recieve a 30 second instant stealth which cannot be interrupted unless you engage combat [Gone] - when you come out of stealth you recieve a 50% shield speed increase

[10:09:17] <> or a 50% parry increase for 60 seconds [Shield]

[10:09:33] <> any movement impairing effects are removed with stealth [hurt debuff]

Shield Of The Gone - The Anti Gank

This isn't really a well thought out idea and pretty useless especially for a level 11 ability..

7 hours ago, elentari said:

Yep and worth every point of it for 2 years....piece by little piece :D except when im not dying to soba and dingov and lose it

Battlerank.  There is no battle cutting a tree or saccing 50 huge axes.  Same as there is no battle in watching two 5 minute timers capping a "battle" camp.

7 hours ago, changer said:

Just remember rolf that if you nerf sotg another path will take its place as the dominant pvp path, imo it should be 35-40% or so with a new level 7 ability

This would probably be better than most ideas suggested if any change.  What about moving Fill to level 4, remove clean wound because nobody ever uses that, and make level 7 teleport, and for level 9 a timed activated ability that increases swing timer by 10% or so (?) at the cost of absolutely 0 parry? (Edit: meant weapon parry not shield parry) Kinda the whole insanity theme.  Should be 15-30 minutes, the same as love effect and fear should become

Edited by MrGARY
  • Like 2