Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Developer Q&A plans

6 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Add that to work only for levels under 80-90.. and that turns the game into casual skillgrind.. or working for all making 90+ skilled players quit in a month or 2.. asap they get the 100.00 titles and get bored. Guessing .. one of the things keeping some people around is to just beat that 100.00 level :unsure:

If skillgain is going to be much easier I'll just leave the next day I think (edit: and I'm very far from the elders with real high skillsets, much less "invested workhours" as being only 2+ years around). Will lose a big part of my fun. I'm already quite bored with WU, I've started on a Vanilla server but increased skillgain. Now I'm into the 70-80 range there in just 3-4 weeks with 6x skillgain which means 1x skillgain would be max half a year. And it is not only one skill (yes on WU you get skilltick quite on each success regardless of the ql of the item or your skill).

Edited by Jaz

would have been golden if you didn't say invasion lol.
I think the most reasonable `worst case scenario`.. concerning the invasion event fear, might best ..be a voluntary affair.

brilliants ideas and outcome from the q&a

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

Everything else looks like great additions and a good path for the development of the game. I don't really care about the skill increase change. Someone said it wont affect the speed of skilling up so i don't really see much difference except in how we would go about optimizing our skill gains. I think it makes a lot more sense to get skill ups on successful actions. I am guessing this would translate to using only high ql woa + coc tools for everything, correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, on giving this some thought, it seems to me this might turn into a major frustration at the lower levels.  Since success is dependent in part on skill (I think), getting a success would be more difficult at lower levels, which would in turn prevent skill gains that would be needed to increase success chance so you could get skill gains, etc, etc, and round and round we go.  lol.

*shrugs*  I don't really know how it works with games that have that kind of system.  Just doesn't sound right to me, on the surface of it.

For the invasion events, perhaps they could add some sort of statue you would need to have on your deed to get invaded. If you don't want to participate, just don't build that statue :)

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Badgirl said:

For the invasion events, perhaps they could add some sort of statue you would need to have on your deed to get invaded. If you don't want to participate, just don't build that statue :)

Imo.. best will be some sort of portal.. / token to 'use' and teleport to some instance.. where people can participate.. summon bodies for free, use tents, respawn at some starting safe point there.. stuff like that.. most of this already exists.. but what will the event actually be.. what will spawn, who will be fighting it.. like player count.. gear needed, penalties for deaths.. spoints after successful victory? sleep bonus, karma points? what else can we get.. what can we really grind there that will be worth doing it for.. and not breaking prices from the current market?

edit:

------

in fallen earth there used to be the citadel.. where players go and build up a stronghold.. to protect from npc invasions every hour or 2.. loot was usually something ~rare from the boss attacking at the last of several waves of mobs raiding the stronghold.. in the breaks.. people were usually spawning items to help speed up crafting processes, in our case.. we could maybe get like 15-20min sbonus per victory, karma points.. and maybe rng.. chance for unique spawn on last wave.. or just none.. making it more 'interesting' and grindy.. so it's not so easy to farm there.. problem is still all the alts on such place.. it will be a lagfest :/

Edited by Finnn
edit^

1 hour ago, Postes said:

this makes no sense whatsoever, its like saying you have to include eveyone, and god forbid not everyone be included or not working as a whole kingdom

Yes, i know it is quite complicated and maybe hard to solve the problem. The way i mean it is something like, if a "newish or mediocre player A", which can be 1-2 year old account in compare to old accounts, wants to join an event to get some of the rewards, and is told they are not allowed to keep certain items, because player B "deserves" it more, and if you not playing by these rules you get killed as result, i would say this shouldn't happen, even on a PvP server. We have kingdoms, we have reputation and game rules.

It is the wrong signal to new people as well, a event should be something you want to go to, to meet other people of the kingdoms, not to fight with your own kingdom over the spoils.

I joined WurmOnline because i loved the helpful and friendly community, and i found the last couple happenings not going the right way.

You could argue, just look for a bigger stronger group, but right now, Wurm Population is falling, so finding new groups is harder then a year ago.

42 minutes ago, Badgirl said:

Actually this would work if the statue was treated like a creature lair with a range of like 2o tiles.  And the rapid spawn to serve invasion purposes. :)

Edited by Drpox

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

• Make skills increase every successful action instead of per tick

didn't you make WU so people who don't like the system can change it? i know a lot of people who like the way it is in WO so changing it most likely won't retain them anymore

rest seems nice, invasions should bring some extra fun to the game too

• Like 3

I agree with most of the crowd on this. Everything sounds good aside from the skill tick changes. The current system works fine. If one wants faster timers/more optimized skill gains, there is WU server waiting for them.

Edited by Macadelic
  • Like 4

Since everyone uses Knarrs (by far the best ship)...I think the bigger ships like Cog or Caravel...should get a "fast travel mode" when leaving server (a popup which server to instantly go to). Would give those ships a meaning, - as long-range travel ships.

Abit of diversity instead of everyone just using knarrs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daryan_AT said:

Yes, i know it is quite complicated and maybe hard to solve the problem. The way i mean it is something like, if a "newish or mediocre player A", which can be 1-2 year old account in compare to old accounts, wants to join an event to get some of the rewards, and is told they are not allowed to keep certain items, because player B "deserves" it more, and if you not playing by these rules you get killed as result, i would say this shouldn't happen, even on a PvP server. We have kingdoms, we have reputation and game rules.

It is the wrong signal to new people as well, a event should be something you want to go to, to meet other people of the kingdoms, not to fight with your own kingdom over the spoils.

I joined WurmOnline because i loved the helpful and friendly community, and i found the last couple happenings not going the right way.

You could argue, just look for a bigger stronger group, but right now, Wurm Population is falling, so finding new groups is harder then a year ago.

What you're saying makes little sense.  If someone wants to kill a dragon, then it's their raid, their rules, simple as that.  It's a sandbox games, player control these aspects, and if you don't like it then kill it yourself, organize it, and do it.  The reality is you likely can't do it yourself though, so now you're upset over someone else's rules on a raid or event that you couldn't do by yourself.  Saying stuff like they regulate treasure chests?  What?  Lol, come on.  Any MMO I played came with a system based heavily on hierarchy of your status with the guild/group, and the same applies in Wurm.  

• Like 1

Just reduce tick size to about 1/4th of what it is now.  That should balance every (successful) action giving you skill.

Or perhaps have a curve.  Rather than an action either 1. Give skill 2. Not give skill (like we have now)...the closer to the middle (say 50QL success) the more you get.  Getting a 40/60 will give you 80%, 30/70 will give you 60%, 20/80 40%, 10/90 20% and 1/100 will give you 1% skill tick size.

So you get a skill tick every time but it still requires some thinking to get skill?

Edited by Hailene
  • Like 1

I asked about the skill ticks and was told it would be 'roughly the same as now'. It seems like it actually might be harder at earlier levels, because you won't get the fail-ticks. It doesn't seem like the plan is to increase skill gain, though the higher QL/shorter queue thing probably would have that effect. 

Yah, please post a log of the Q&A session. Can't wait to see what was said.

I'd like to request: can we have models / icons for all the items currently implemented instead of question marks and potato sacks?

Hi,

I just can repeat myself (Source):

• Do what you like with your PvP (maybe in accordance with what the PvPers want, all 30 of 'em), but make Wurm PvP a separate and not connected game of itself. The hostility the PvPers show in the forums (they call it "meta-game" I suppose) as well as the often drastic nerfs to central game mechanics done in their behalf have already costed you a lot of long-year Wurmians.
    It doesn't go together peacefully, this has shown over and over.
    And those few that love to play both sides, and not only use the West coast of Freedom as safe haven, can easily have 2 avatars - that they have already, for the most part.

And have fun!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SmeJack said:

Does it seem right that someone who does not pvp or maybe has taken part in killing one or two people can have a title 'battle'master?

Would a better system not be one where towers, camps, HoTA pillars and missions (everything not killing players) are merely a means to ease/prevent the blood loss of rank decay and not actually give rank also?

Adding onto this, there are times when killing players it shows "Your battlerank is now 1010" when your rank was already 1010, could just have that show to trigger it as a rank gain, but not actually give rank.  At least I hope that counts as a rank "gain", would keep it really simple, keeps more incentives to conquer towers, camps, do missions etc, but not actually gain "battle" rank without the "battle"

-Make skills increase every successful action instead of per tick

Please do not do this!  It utterly changes how the game works in ways that just shouldn't happen.  It was fine for something like challenge because it was brand new and not tied into other servers

I think most others are fine, leading more than 4 horses I don't know if I can agree with

"Make skills increase every successful action instead of per tick "

The day this goes live is the day I move on.

Salt veins would be the bomb...make a wishing well, drop 1 silver and wish for salt veins

6 hours ago, Daryan_AT said:

Hello, quite sensitive question here. On the epic servers, in JK kingdom, one group consistent of good fighters, tend to forbid other players of the same kingdom to join in on events like killing a unique, and keep the dragonhide, or join in the HotA event to gain Glimmer and Adamantium for themself, or look for treasurechests -  If they do, they tend to get killed by the same kingdom players.

Fightings/kills between players of the same very kingdom, especially the (roleplay-wise) "good and righteous" JK kingdom, shouldn't be allowed, or should give heavy reputation penalty, when not hunted or outcasted, which doesn't seem to work atm.

Now I read about the new "invasions", in which i see the same problem occuring..

Will Rolf look onto this problem, of kills inside the same kingdom and the correct distribution of items to all the players who actualy want to join in these events, but are driven away or killed by others? (Uniques, HotA, Treasurechests, Invasions) Thanks!

welcome to a template kingdom. If you do not like the rules of the people who are stronger then you, then make a PMK and fight for what you want. If you can't fight well then welcome to pvp! :)

fyi, template kingdoms are not "real kingdoms" their rulers have very limited power.

Edited by TradingAlt
  • Like 2