Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Developer Q&A plans

Hello Everyone,

Wurm is one of the most feature complete sandbox games available and we are always looking at ways to improve it. With the release of Wurm Unlimited players now have a greater sense of control over how they play Wurm, but the MMO comes with a well established community, working economy and official hosting.

The purpose of posting this is to give you an oversight of our plans for the next few months, we will be having a Q&A session shortly to take your feedback and answer your questions based on these changes.

This plan is intended to deal with commonly recognized issues affecting playability and economy as well as add new features and mechanics which have been requested for some time. The changes are targeted mainly at the MMO Wurm Online (wurmonline.com) but most will be implemented in Wurm Unlimited as well.

We have split this list into several categories, each with a main focus, there is currently no timeframe given for any individual items on the list, rather a blanket list for changes we will cover until march 2016. Please also remember that this list is not final, we will continue to monitor suggestions, implement new features and continue updating current features.

We hope these changes will entice players to check out what's changed in Wurm, as well as improve gameplay for the existing community. The plan is scheduled to run until March 2016 at which time a longer term plan will be devised.

Home

Wurm Online is a lot about building your home on the internet. These changes focus on the social and community aspects of Wurm, enabling a more fluid sense of gameplay and more customisation options giving you the opportunity to customise your little piece of Wurm to make it even more unique.

• Invasion events with system generated loot: Magical Rings, Necklaces, Capes, Shoulder pads and other treasures
  • More construction options
  • New useful items
  • Reshaping of abandoned land, especially along the coasts
  • Offer name changes
  • Make skills increase every successful action instead of per tick
  • Better tools shorten action times
  • More uses for the different metals
  • Remove all decay on deed
  • Severely reduce timers for moving stuff around
  • Glassblowing and consider Taxidermi skills and items
  • Possibility to build fences and gates a bit below water level
  • Remove low nutrition penalty
  • Use salt for storage of fish in barrels
  • Various tile modification options such as clay
  • Sitting on ground
  • Consider items to sell on traders as expensive money sinks
  • Look into usefulness of spells
  • Severely reduce mailing costs

Exploration and travel

Exploring in Wurm is a big part of the game once you’ve established your safe haven. Whether you're hunting for your next kill or delivering goods, you all travel far and wide across our servers. This section will deal with improvements in that area.

• Faster boat travel between servers.
  • Look into boat (and possibly other vehicles) speed affected by Quality Level
  • Possibility to lead more creatures
  • Adding a passenger on the Wagon
  • Possibility to furl sail

Combat

Wurm aspires to provide the most meaningful and rewarding PvP environment available, and eventually also the most fun and involving. These changes will affect both PvE and Pvp combat meaning small changes and not an overhaul of the entire system. Such a change will take more time to implement and has a longer term plan.

• New creatures
  • Improvement to creature behaviour and fighting styles
  • Change Battle Camps in order to create focus points for PvP
  • Reconsider the guard tower system
  • Publish leaderboards on the web site
  • Add or change loot on various creatures
  • Look into removing archery nerfs for armour
  • Increase usefulness of pets (mainly in PvE). Traits.
  • Move some currently gender specific ability spells.

New Players

New players are extremely important in the continuation of the game, both in terms of ecomony and community. These changes will focus on areas that affect new players and improve their experience.

• Ad contests/Improved referral system
  • Increasing WO awareness among Wurm Unlimited players
  • Look into improvements of the tutorial area
  • Gui improvements, try new to options to right-click etcd

Miscellaneous

These changes do not come directly under one of the previous listings, and as such are listed here.

• Wurm Unlimited Mod API
  • Proprietary Model Format - smaller download and faster loading
  • New renderer
  • Continued bugfixing :)
  • Launcher improvements, for instance checking if servers are up
  • GUI icons, both actions and items. This area could use quite a bit of improvement, both size (make them larger, scaling them down as an option is easy) and amount (way too many items miss icons).

While we are aware there have been many suggestions relating to the cost of premium and what it comes with, however these decisionsneed to be made very carefully with plenty of planning, and will not be included in this discussion.

So feel free to leave feedback, ask questions and have them directly asked to Rolf and the development team!
hope to see you all there!

Retrograde

• Like 22

Question for Rolf:

Does it seem right that someone who does not pvp or maybe has taken part in killing one or two people can have a title 'battle'master?

Would a better system not be one where towers, camps, HoTA pillars and missions (everything not killing players) are merely a means to ease/prevent the blood loss of rank decay and not actually give rank also?

• Like 11

sounds good lets see if they can pull it all off but the invasion events kind of scares me a little, lol 

Edit: Here is my question...Is there going to be a way to transport animals that do not swim over water or expand the animals that do swim so we can get the main farm animals back to our deeds?

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 6

WIll epic home servers/elevation ever be wiped/consildated into one land mass for server pop - or will you do something which creates better reasons for home server pop to visit elevation such as events leading to the 

• Invasion events with system generated loot: Magical Rings, Necklaces, Capes, Shoulder pads and other treasures

And etc

Rework on channeling - any plans on that one ? like removing the shattering, tweaking decays, make skill matter more than the randomness based on the bell curve, allow the priests to try for a specific power (70/80/90/100+) with an adjusted difficulty.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Make skills increase every successful action instead of per tick

I hope this doesn't mean they'll be sped up, but will be somewhat more encouraging when we see a tiny improvement each time? 

I'm with you on the invasion events, Kegan! Eeek. *builds that tower finally*

ETA: I was told that no, this does not mean the skills will be faster. \o/

Edited by NeeNee
  • Like 2

Lots of good stuff. With the salt+fish we will need some other ways to get salt please. 

• Like 1

Requesting faster boat speeds due to Xan size,

Possibly adding a Navigation Skill set, with increased speed  vs skill

and sextant with use option for location! 

Other games offer forming a party and your location and everyones in party immediately appears on an active map so that they can converge at a central location with ease! ++1

Bulk transport is way time consuming.

And possible addition of Gliders,

Wagon with nomad/camp set up options, and passengers would be a Big bonus!

Edited by Lizardtamers

36 minutes ago, Kegan said:

sounds good lets see if they can pull it all off but the invasion events kind of scares me a little, lol 

Edit: Here is my question...Is there going to be a way to transport animals that do not swimarrow-10x10.png over water or expand the animals that do swim so we can get the main farm animals back to our deeds?

that was my question to. I play on Wu on the Wyvern server. If you want travel with animals from pve to pvp your lose your horse so if there can make a animal transport that will be perfect

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Glassblowing and consider Taxidermi skills and items

I would like it! :)

• Like 2

There are 2 new mobs that would be awesome to see. The first one is a bee, which spawns near a beehive. The second is a beaver, which creates dams in bodies of water. Over time the beaver dam increases in size and some kind of loot-able item increases in amount or quality as the dam grows (i.e the longer it takes a player to find, the more rewarding it is)

ql of boats giving a speed boost would be good for boat crafters/the skill itself and the various speeds you will encounter. 

you'll need to expand more on battlecamps...Epic - elevation has only 2 battlecamps and both of them are in rubbish posistions, i feel with the hota size you could have 1 in each corner or something to give reason to cap. Otherwise they're pretty out the way. 

Possibilty to lead Hellhorses would be great, Elevation / Epic is Hellhorse dependant and it kills roaming to not be able to lead HH across water.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chiqa said:

Lots of good stuff. With the salt+fish we will need some other ways to get salt please. 

A salt vein would do the trick, prob should be less than ore though, maybe 1-2000 per tile

Current rank system is a joke, waste of time to publish leaderboards unless its changed

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mclovin said:

ql of boats giving a speed boost would be good for boat crafters/the skill itself and the various speeds you will encounter. 

you'll need to expand more on battlecamps...Epic - elevation has only 2 battlecamps and both of them are in rubbish posistions, i feel with the hota size you could have 1 in each corner or something to give reason to cap. Otherwise they're pretty out the way. 

Possibilty to lead Hellhorses would be great, Elevation / Epic is Hellhorse dependant and it kills roaming to not be able to lead HH across water.

since hell horses are so useful and fast, anyone without one is left in the dust. so those people need some kind of advantage, too. if not speed, then being able to travel through water with their horse seems like a good way of giving them a small bonus to maneuverability, since they can't keep up with or outrun pvpers chasing them on hell horses by land

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NeeNee said:

I hope this doesn't mean they'll be sped up, but will be somewhat more encouraging when we see a tiny improvement each time? 

I am curious the effect this will have also. This added to the extra decrease in action timers with better tools can severely cause skills to go up fast. I fear this will change the game in a drastic way. I know a lot of people want it so why not just open up another damn cluster for them.

• Like 2

Most of it sounds good but I don't like the sound of "Invasion Events."

You start the "Home" section with a nice description about our Home on the internet, etc.  And then the very first thing on the list is invasion events? 

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I don't recall seeing people asking for this.  And templars are next to useless except as yip-dogs to alert you when something comes on deed.  They die repeatedly to a croc or a troll and you have to go help them.  

So no thanks.  I want no part of "invasions" on my deed.  Please rethink that idea, wherever it came from.

• Like 3

Allow players to pay karma into missions to force radomise a new mission instead of waiting for a shitty mission to pass. 

Let's say temple mission; costs 100k to generate a new mission; Multiple people can pay into the mission..So person A can put in 5k, person b 15k...until a total amount is reached. That way one person can't just go round resetting missions if others plan/try to do them and it becomes more of a group choice to reset. - EDIT - Maybe 10k Karma cap per person and 10 people must put in for a mission to reset to avoid mission generating/trolling

Disable home server missions in giving out SP ONLY pay out SB/Karma points. Enemy home servers pay out SP - Elevation pays out SP - the population of epic needs to start moving around off their home servers more and take a bit of risk for a reward. Might also encourage enemy home server roaming. 

Give a chance to locate through nolocate depending on the power or some code ###### idk. Being 100% off the map for 1 hr 34 mins is op.

Allow drake hide to be imped with leather on Epic. 

Will edit later.

Edited by Mclovin

I dont understand this one. Doesnt it make hot food cooking completely useless? Why eat a 90 ql meal instead of 1 ql horse meat? seems to dumb down the game in an unnecessary way?

• Like 11

1 minute ago, permo said:

I dont understand this one. Doesnt it make hot food cooking completely useless? Why eat a 90 ql meal instead of 1 ql horse meat? seems to dumb down the game in an unnecessary way?

It would be a new player-buff on a timer i assume. It's below the New Player suggestions

2 questions..

Will there be any PVE way to reset/change affinity? (I have 1 char.. I have useless affinity.. no plans to sail to chaos for weird stuff.. any options?)

How about taming some not-so-powerful wild animals permanently turning them to .. blue-aura? (like.. for example.. 'wild cats' turned domesticated? / really dont like dog's model in wurm)

1 minute ago, Mclovin said:

It would be a new player-buff on a timer i assume. It's below the New Player suggestions

ah, ok. then its fine

please fix animal spawns in the south, population of people is pretty low in the south because animal spawns suck.

Edited by Beastwolf
  • Like 1

more uses for karma in general sound good. we have a few lighting options and summon corpse; seems like a lot of effort for just 4 or 5 ways of spending it in freedom