Sign in to follow this  
McGarnicle

Wurm Unlimited Newbie Edition - "Ep. 4: Plan of a Plan" - Factional Fight

A lot has happened since our last episode and we have much to talk about. We chat about recent additions to the game such as sitting and burying, but most prominent is Rolf's forum post "Plan of a Plan". We can't wait to see what will be said during the dev's IRC event tomorrow.

Edited by McGarnicle
  • Like 4

That would be in about 3,5 hours.

As I understand Rolfs post.

Edited by Cecci

I have not watched all of the video yet but the reason the examine is at the top of the list i think is because there is already a sort of "action" default and it is double click that is why it is set to examine.

Edit: Well took a break for the Q&A but at the end you talked about a way to have goals for new players but at the same time you don't want those goals to take players years to obtain. 

Edited by Kegan

I really liked the idea you guys had about the Select Bar as some sort of contextual menu based on selected tool & hovered tile/object.  I didn't know you could bind the select bar buttons.

I am new to Wurm through Wurm Unlimited but I fell in love with the game just about a week ago.  The one thing that really threw me off when I started this game was the left click to look around due to just simply being used to newer games using a free look or even right click to look system, however I have easily adapted to the controls and logged about 100 fun filled hours.  My friend can not seem to get past the controls and he refunded the game, based solely on this point.  A change to the controls like this may make it much more accessible to people like him as he loved everything else about it but he really couldn't handle the controls.

Something like a toggle to look around coupled with always selecting the object in the center of the screen while looking, along with this idea for some kind of contextual keypress/select bar would make this game absolutely more accessible for every new player.  I think the biggest turn off for this game I would say is the lack of a control scheme as I have described.

If I could just freely move my mouse to look around and point at an object and then press a key based on what item I had activated and it would perform an action on the object currently in the center of my view this is the major thing missing from this game in comparison to modern survival games.

Rolf/devs/whoever in charge of this should take a serious look at making a modern control scheme.  If Wurm had even just this one change I think it would be a lot more popular, especially with new players.

Edited by Atriox
  • Like 1

You can keybind the select bar and it works exactly as described by listing the contextual actions that tool can do - this is something few people know.  I played Wurm for years before I found out about it.

They are not default but buried on the HUD tab on the keybindings UI to see the select buttons are defaulted as unassigned. There is no in-game UI for assigning these keybinds, so if you are full screen it pops behind, so people think the command does nothing.  

As noted the UI is inconsistent because you have to select the tiles so the select keybind bar for forage works, but if you keybind forage you only have to hover. That needs to get fixed to follow the hover convention, especially when you are toggled into free mouselook.

Improving this setup would help retention because if your game does not have an action hot bar people will move on, this is a standard thing in most games now. Right menu popups is an archaic convention that seriously dates the game.

I personally bound the number keys then reassigned toolbelt slots to alt-#, wanted to do shift-# but that is bugged.  Since actions are done more frequently than using toolbelts, the unmodified # should be used for the selected action.   The only gotcha is it shifts actions so if dig is not available some other action gets promoted into it's slot, it would be better if it just greyed out the unavailable action since the entire point of a hotbar is memorizing the key to use, so changing the keys does not make sense. 

Once I figured out select bar keybind I found I did not need all the regular keybinds, and it was a huge improvement in the lack of a click fest.

To the previous poster there actually is a mouse look toggle.   But you will not find it on the keybinds, and it is not default.  It is buried in the in-game console as an undocumented command very difficult to find on the wiki.  

Again promoting such things to follow the conventions of most first person RPG is good for rentention.  Both of these things take much less than two weeks because they already exist!  You want to attract ElderScrolls and Fallout fans of the open world genre then you want to follow their UI conventions. 

Edited by yarnevk

each idea could take 2 weeks.......and a hundred would take a long time...