Sign in to follow this  
Zyraxis

Ore veins distribution (Xanadu)

Hello Wurm community. I am a fairly new player and this is my very first post in here so please bear with me.

I start getting a little more involved with mining lately. I managed to get my prospecting at 35 so I can "see" ore veins 3 tiles away. This is a great step up for every miner out there.

So I found so far about 4 veins of iron (different quality) and one of lead. That was very nice since it gave our starter settlement a nice boost. But then I started to roam around and I found about 10 other mines that I could explore. Now, based on wurmpedia I learned that "All ores are slightly regional. Thus, if an ore vein is located, it is likely there will be other veins of the same ore type nearby."

So everything I found at any other location I checked was iron and lead. That means there is a high chance I will not be able to find any other ore in the area? We are based around Esteron. Could other people settled in the same area confirm if they found any zinc, copper, etc.?

Thanks a lot.

Zyraxis

• Like 1

I'm nowhere near Esteron, so I can't speak specifically to that area. 

What I can tell you is that you're likely to find other ores mixed in as you expand your mine.  Its likely that you'll have 1 or 2 ores that are dominant, but there *usually* are other types of ores mixed into the area.  Its not guaranteed that you'll find one of each vein in a particular area, but I'd be surprised to hear that after mining 200-300 tiles all you have is iron and lead.

we have plenty of mines full of all the different ores in the esteron area. if you're interested pm me you can join the alliance or a village here.

I would love to hear some long time players opinions/experience here, but after cutting large chunks out of two mountains new Lormere i have think there is something else involved with the regional ore thing.  There is a mountain near mine that has like 100 slate walls where people cut a tunnel through from south harbor to kalambaka.  My mountain has no large deposits like that, but mining out a couple hundred tiles and had found everything but marble (and maybe tin too, i forget), then a tile collapsed and suddenly had marble, on deed too.  Another mountain was same way in that never found any large number of a type of ore, but after removing lots of tiles can find nearly everything.  My opinion and experience is that the regional is more about more of specific type of ore/wall being available rather than lack of certain types.  Some mountains i have seen and heard have large numbers of specific types of ore/wall and other just seem to have little of everything.

Out of 4 deeds have had 30+ iron ores tiles with quality being the differentiating factor, i.e. about 15 were "poor" but only 2 were "utmost."  Kind of a joke that a deed (that is not an island) without iron is either extremely small and poorly situated or unlucky or both.

btw i quit reinforcing all but the most essential passages as about 1 in maybe 20 collapse into ore/wall from what i have seen, though so for only 2 have been good ore/wall, but marble made it all worth it

I am of about the same mind... I do very little reinforcing, I would rather spend my time opening up more veins :)

Ore distribution is strange... our home deed has very little ore... I have mined hundreds and hundreds of tiles in long tunnels and still only have about 5-6 iron, one copper, and a tin that mined out in around 150 ore :(

A short distance away at my mining deed, I dug a tunnel 250 tiles long, only widened when I analysis showed ore, and I have multiple veins of nearly everything... I have not noticed much in the way of 'clumps' or trends other than a couple spots that are very rich in iron... so... mine you will, find ore you may!