Sign in to follow this  
Notre

Extremely annoying graphic issues :(

I have, for the last few months now, been experiencing this graphic issue (see imgur link below). Textures (generally tiles like grass, farm, slabs etc.) seem to randomly change as I move around. This issue becomes particularily more noticeable when I attempt to login a second client like my priest.

I have disabled GLSL Shader, FBO and VBO, I have tried combinations of all three, I have disabled and re-enabled tile transitions, I have uninstalled and freshly reinstalled wurm with all new settings. I am pulling my hair out here..

On top of that there is a second graphic issue, with objects/people where they seem to stretch infinitely (also posting picture).

I have an AMD A10 processor, Radeon HD 7660 graphics card. I can run most games at medium to high settings (WoW I can push ultra with certain things lowered like shadows/lighting)

Please help :(

Tile graphic issue here.

Object/Person graphic issue here.

Edit:

Adding other screenies with issues:

Extra 1

Extra 2

Edited by notre

This sounds like a laptop with "switchable graphics" (Radeon for gaming, Intel for long battery) which is nott properly using the Tadeon for JAVA games.

Let me find an image with the setting but it is in Catalyst COntrol Center (Swotchable? 3D? Global?) with an option to always use the high performance card, OR a way to direct it to the JAVA path (harder since this often changes every java update)

I found this but there should be a place for "always use High Performance / Radeon" sdo let me keep checking

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Negative, PC Desktop with only the radeon.

Edited by notre

Ok hmm odd that it is acting like an INTEL.  The distorted animals/npcs is usually with GLSL enabled, distorted terrain with GLSL disabled. 

Is this a Mac? 

Can  you go to Windows Device Manager > Display Adapter > Properties and tell me the driver date and also your operating system (ie, Win10/64-bit, Win7/32-bit etc)

There is also a manual way to disable Catalyst AI (newer drivers no longer give an option to disable) but I have to look up BadLuckBurt's link for how to do this. I am not sure it gave much lick but something important to try.

Meantime go direct to AMD and doublecheck if AMD/ATI says there is a newer driver (don't trust windows or catalyst updaters) 

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Windows 10 64 bit. I have GLSL turned off, as well as VBO/FBO atm.

Driver date: 2015-08-21 for graphics card

Edited by notre

after you check drivers at the link above, can you also check the videocard temperatures as some of those images (specifically EXTRA1 & EXTRA2)  look like either overheating or bad vram

if you do not have a utility to check videocard temperatures, I use HWMonitor (free):

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Might need to check  both GPU + CPU if this is one of those built into the cpu (I need to google)

** driver date looks good, sometimes windows sneaks in its generic win10 drivers but those are older 

*** Looking at those "extra" screenshots again, is the cpu currently overclocked?

If so can you test whether you get the same artifacting at base speeds?

Graphics temperatures look good. CPU hitting up to 87C is a little high but frankly my CPU does the same. 

Let me browse around a little more. Even though you can run Warcraft at max/ultra, can you test turning off in wurm all water reflections, shadows, lighting, and lower the texture sizes. Turn it back if it made no difference. 

Radeon has a history of issues in Wurm however those "Extra 1" and "Extra 2" images are unlike any I have seen posted. 

Extra 1 and extra 2 generally only happen while multiclienting, i have been running a single client with no issues on my current settings for about 25 minutes now. Will test the settings you mentioned now.

Going to test with disabling the catalyst first.

No luck there, testing the graphic changes now.

Edited by notre

Has it been progressively getting worse over the past few weeks/months? 

I would want to find a way to check for failing hardware, I am not sure the best way to test that.

You said nothing is overclocked at all?

No it pretty much happened all at once, I cannot remember exactly when. I ended up breaking from wurm for a while when it started.

Okay lowering texture sizes seems to have helped, it has not gone away, but now the distorted/extended graphics arent popping up (at least not yet) and when I approach a tile with an odd image like in the first screenie it goes away quicker.

Not sure which setting fixed it of course. Should I upload my settings file?

To clarify, since I like to hit send before I read what I wrote. It has not gone away while running two clients. But it has become less intense, and the seemingly infinitely stretched objects has not occured yet

Edited by notre

Spoiler

#Wurm Online client properties
#Sat Dec 05 18:27:37 PST 2015
show_body_in_inventory=false
enable_contribution_culling=false
sound_cache_enabled=true
viewport_bob=true
hide_menu_examine=false
color_white=1.0,1.0,1.0
mark_text_read=true
no_terrain_render=false
has_read_eula=true
color_error=1.0,0.3,0.3
use_color_picking=true
render_glow=false
trees=3
vbo_enabled=0
reflections=0
animation_playback_self=0
showKChat=true
debug_mode=false
color_teal=0.0,0.5,0.5
irc_log_rotation=2
impColumn=true
sound_al_gain=15
release_context=false
skydetail=1
auto_mipmaps_enabled=2
use_fast_clock_work_around=true
no_world_render=false
skillgain_no_alignment=true
release_context_on_jogl_sleep=false
skillgain_no_favor=true
loadInventoryStartup=true
settings_version=3
use_anisotropic_filtering=2
terrain_bump=true
custim_timer_source=1
gui_skin=1
color_black=0.0,0.0,0.0
tiledecorations=2
season_override=0
color_cyan=0.0,1.0,1.0
font_antialias=2
use_alpha_particles=true
contribution_culling=150
fog_coord_src=0
sound_play_PMAlert=false
submit_client_data=1
game_client_thread_priority=2
structure_render_distance=2
sound_engine=2
customTimer5=-1|-1
customTimer4=-1|-1
customTimer3=-1|-1
customTimer2=-1|-1
customTimer1=-1|-1
font_italian=11
other_log_rotation=2
enable_debugs=false
log_extra_errors=false
screenshot_file_format=1
color_grey=0.5,0.5,0.5
sound_play_ambients=true
auto_run_source=0
depth_clamp_enabled=2
terrain_res=2
stipple_enabled=true
material_as_suffix=true
use_nano_timer=false
hide_menu_no_target=false
collada_animations=3
player_texture_size=1
test_attach_equipment=false
fast_yield=false
event_log_rotation=2
color_purple=0.5,0.0,0.5
test_mode=0
color_fuchsia=1.0,0.0,1.0
fps_limit_enabled=true
color_lime=0.0,1.0,0.0
sound_play_combat=true
sound_play_emotes=true
font_header=24
update_optional=true
color_navy_blue=0.23,0.39,1.0
render_distant_terrain=true
max_texture_size=1
censor_chat=true
high_res_binoculars=true
use_phobia_models=false
thirdPerson=false
color_maroon=0.5,0.0,0.0
offscreen_texture_size=0
sound_play_buzz=true
sound_buzzlevel=2
outline_picking=true
gpu_skinning=true
water_detail=1
compressed_textures_S3TC=true
enable_lod=true
use_antialiasing=1
display_settings=false\:false\:0\:1024\:768\:32\:-1\:false\:true
model_loader_thread_priority=2
sound_music_level=5
use_non_alpha_particles=false
shift_drag_default=10
reflection_texture_size=0
tile_transitions=true
occlusion_queries_enabled=2
gui_opacity=3
compressed_textures=false
hide_inactive_friends=false
exec_source=0
item_creature_render_distance=3
font_static=11
use_tree_models=true
treelist_outline=true
sound_doppler_enabled=false
use_weather_particles=true
key_bindings_source=0
font_monospaced=11
engine_multithreaded=0
save_skills_on_quit=false
color_yellow=1.0,1.0,0.0
enable_vsync=true
color_royal_blue=0.23,0.39,1.0
disable_select_all_shortcut=false
enable_shift_drag=false
glsl_debug_loading=false
use_fbo_color_picking=true
mega_texture_size=5
color_orange=1.0,0.5,0.0
remember_password=true
color_silver=0.75,0.75,0.75
togglePushToTalk=true
local_list_in_event=false
font_default=11
log_gl_errors=false
lod=1
resident_models=false
color_system=0.5,1.0,0.5
multidraw_enabled=2
send_extra_tile_data=false
mount_rotation=false
color_red=1.0,0.0,0.0
use_nagles_algorithm=false
sound_play_work=true
skillgain_minimum=1
fps_limit=60
sound_play_weather=true
cavedetail=2
silent_friends_update=false
keyboard_layout=0
inverse_mouse=false
no_brightness=false
fbo_enabled=0
hint_texture_scaling=1
sound_play_music=true
show_old_quickbar=false
fps_limit_background=30
non_power_of_two=2
render_sun_glare=false
hide_menu_spam_mode=true
font_bold=11
sound_play_door=true
model_loading_threads=1
sound_footstepslevel=10
color_green=0.08,1.0,0.08
hide_menu_stop=false
irc_notif=0
glsl_enabled=0
sound_play_footsteps=true
shadow_level=0
fov_horizontal=80
setting_timestamps=true

test with anti aiiasing turned off

Maybe also check Catalyst Control Center and make sure it is not set to global overide of prgram settings

That seems to have worked now, though everything has a pastel look to it, most noticeably my painted red cart. 

No weird tile transitions, no infinite objects, just crummy looking picture :P Still thank you very much, do you have a suggestion on raising certain settings up to restore some of the look without causing the previous problem to recur?

Ok test with GLSL renabled and see if it looks prettier or if problems come back, let me look again at others. No point in having a RED CART if it does not look spiffy!

Was it the anti aliasing setting and texture sizes that made the difference? (So I know to try if FIRST, next time)

Test also with "font antialiasing" turned OFF in the TEXT section

You can gradually one at a time test all other settings including FBO/VBO but leave anti aliasing off  and keep texture sizes medium/moderate

(Seems like I recall a water reflections problem with Radeons so you might need to disable again some of the COMPATIBILITY tab settings if there are issues near waterfront.)

Sorry had to leave the house for a bit.

Will slowly start testing other graphics settings while leaving the texture sizes and anti aliasing at off/low/disabled.

I had shadows and lighting graphics turned off/low as well, but I noticed a difference when I lowered each texture setting down one notch and turned anti aliasing to minimum settings. Texture sizes seemed to remove the weird object stretching as seen in the Extra pictures, then when I changed anti aliasing the tile transition issues went away. 

Once I have reached what seems to be optimal I will post a settings file again.

* Tried turning GLSL shader back on, no problems so far, however the red cart is now appearing as default colour lol, not sure what that means.

** Now running with VBO re-enabled, colour came back in the cart, still no graphic issues to report.

*** Cancel that... Strange tile transitions came back with two clients and VBO enabled, turning off and enabling FBO. If that doesn't work will try GLSL off and VBO/FBO on.

**** Doesn't like FBO or VBO, will stick with only using GLSL for now. Will update more later on.

Edited by notre

Ok sounds like the brunt of the problem is solved and now just some tweaking :) Hopefully it will make Wurm more enjoyable again once more. 

How much RAM do you have? It looks like the 7660 is an integrated video-card that doesn't have dedicated video ram so you're probably running out of system memory.

I know it's been a few weeks since the last post but i was curious if you found a solution.  I have the same issue with the graphics and multiple clients, works fine with one.  And I know exactly when it started, when I upgraded to Windows 10!!

Everything worked before that, i could run 4 clients, not perfectly but I could do it without this issue.  I usually ran three of them in smaller windows with the graphics turned down on second screen and my main on the first screen with moderately high settings.

My card is a bit older - AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series 1GB with driver date 11/4/2015 - I double checked and it was the latest version available (i think they made it so the cards could run on 10 but they say it's the last driver update).

Machine Intel Core i5-3570 and 16 GB of Ram, Windows 10 64-Bit.

As I stated above, everything worked until I made the mistake (and i mean that) of upgrading to 10.  

I'm hoping that someone might know what's going on.  My suspicion is that it's a compatibility issue with the driver they threw together for 10 and the Java.  I've played non-java games without issue.

It's bad enough it took me hours to get the display to stop burning holes in my eyes after the change (I googled it and tons of people complained about the brightness and fonts in 10) now a card that worked fine for Wurm the day before may need replaced.  OR I might just get the Win7 CD out and say to hell with 10.

You do have 30 days from the day you upgraded to windows 10 to downgrade. So if it has not been 30 days I would say go back. I had to do on one computer.