Sign in to follow this  
Macq

[Shop] Unable to use Pay Pal from the Wurm Shop

In the past I've been able to use Pay Pal from the Wurm Shop with no problems.  Now when I try it just starts to take me to PP and eventually times out without connecting. I can access PP w/out any problem on-line.  After typing my PP info into wurm shop I used to get logged to PP where it would ask for my VeriSign secure logging info and then get logged in.  It seems to be skipping this step now and an e-mail to PP support returned a canned reply that had nothing to do with my problem.

Sent in a ticket and talked w/gm but they were able to log in to PP with no problems and hadn't heard of this problem affecting anyone else. Another gm suggested I clean out my browser file, did that and no change.  Want to get premium for alt and pay the rent but not possible as I don't want to use a credit card. Any suggestions would be appreciated...worked fine for couple of years, that's why it's so frustrating.

First thing I would try is to see if a different browser does the same 

If you normally use MSIE, try Firefox or Chrome. If you normally use Chrome, try MSIE or Opera. 

thanks for the suggestion but I've used Edge/IE/Firefox and still can't connect thru shop..don't think it's the browser as I can connect to PP otherwise and was able to use the shop previously, in fact been using the shop/paypal for over 2 years w/no problem.

I tried to see if I could buy premium on my account (paypal is my normal method too) , and could get in ok. So let's try to figure out what is different on your end from everyone else.

1) Is there a different computer you can test with? (rule out computer as the issue)

2) Is there a different computer outside your normal location to test if some thing is blocking the connection. (rule out network as the issue)

3) Are you able to try visitng a friend/relatuve/neighbor to see if you can pay PP through their computers. (just get Wurm for now and worry after)

It might be a netwrok issue, a third party securuty program, a malware/keylogger/rerouting issue, I have no idea but first lets make sure you have another 30 days of Wurm which might lessen anxiety while we look deeper  :P

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I'm almost positive the problem is with the PayPal Verisign key code that I have to enter to use PP. When I normally log into PP from browser I enter userid/pw and then a screen opens for me to enter my Versign code..then PP begins.  In the past that's also what happened with the Wurm Shop but now when I attempt to log in to PP for a purchase, I don't get the screen for entering my code...the url says it's at PP but no screen opens and it finally times out the connection.  Tried explaining prob to PP but received a generic response that had no bearing on my problem. Was hoping someone at Wurm (Vendor) could contact PP (service provider) and maybe resolve the problem.  Would be interesting to hear from someone that also uses Verisign for PP and know that they can connect..I suspect not. Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Ah, I have never dealt with the Verisign authentication. where you enter userid/password and THEN enter a separate "PayPal Security Key"  code. I had to look that ip, is that like a keycode autheniticator, something like this?

paypal-security-key.jpg

or I guess in some cases you get a "PayPal Security Key" via a mobile phone or a special paypal card instead of an authentication device. Something called 2FA / two factor authentication. Sorry about my confusion. Maybe someone else here who uses this system can chime in on whether theirs still works.  I wonder if your issue is similar to this persons issues? They seem to say that the SMS generation thingy is sometimes down and sometimes PayPal reps don't even know what you are talking about. Also a few references to a "Redirect Loop" that hits some people. Some pages say to be sure you've enabled cookies in your browser else it won't work properly. 

Yes, that's it. Screen to put code no longer opens when using Wurm Shop although it worked fine for a couple years.  Opens ok when just going to PP on the net.  I appreciate your interest and help but guess I'll I just figure a work-around, maybe a debit card or something..Thanks again for listening and letting me vent.  Macq

Based on Rolf's post here http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/1029-failed-payments/

It is a different issue but I would try the email he has there:   payment@wurmonline.com

My guess is that they are more familiar with the mechanics of payments made to paypal through the store/website, and thus might be more able to figure out if the problem is on their end than a CA/GM staffer who may not know much about " two factor authentication " or secure protocol whateverstuff

It sounds like that email can be used to inquire about any payment problems.

Sent problem I was having to the address you found (payment@wurmonline.com) and my email was accepted.  That was Monday and as of today (Sun) there's been no response.  Also sent to Xsolla who handles payments and also no response.  Guess I've run out of ideas. 

It may not be the ideal situation, but it sounds like if you can log into your Paypal account, you can from there disable the 2FA (two factor authentication). THEN log into Wurm store and pay for premium. Then log back into Paypal and renenable 2FA again.

Follow the steps below if you ever need to deactivate your security key:

1 – Log into your PayPal account and make sure you are on the “My Account” page. You should land on this page by default when you log in, but if you don’t simply click the My Account tab.

2 – Hover your mouse over the Profile link in the sub-menu at the top of the page, then click My Settings on the drop-down menu.

3 – Scroll down to the “Security key” field and click the Update link in the far right column.

4 – Click the Deactivate button.

according to the instructions you can activate-deactivate-reactivate etc back and forth as many times as needed. This is used sometimes by people whose cellphones act as the authentication, if they are going to upgrade their phone to a different model.

Someone still needs to FIX something, but at least you can get your premium time + upkeep paid for before it runs out.

I followed your suggestion but couldn't find my Profile until I finally chose the option "Classic Screen" .  I deactivated my Security Key, went back to Wurm Shop, and was able to get the job done.  Pretty contorted way to go, PP to deact key, log out, Wurm to pay for item, log out, PP to reactivate key...BUT thanks to all your efforts I was able use the workaround.  No one at either Wurm nor Paypal had any idea what I was talking about, what the problem was, nor how to solve it.  Apparently Rolf's earlier post on  http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/1029-failed-payments/,

and the importance of making the payment system work is no longer a priority.  What made the whole issue so strange is that I'd been using Pay Pay for over two years on Wurm with no problem. 

Thanks again for all the time you put in to help..it's much appreciated

Hi,

We haven't changed anything so it's PayPal who have done some magic here. I've looked into this but can't find anything in our shop or PayPal business setup pages that would fix this. We'll keep looking though and eventually update the shop pages so hopefully we'll be able to solve it.

I've contacted PayPal business support but to be honest I don't expect a less generic answer than you have already received but let's hope for the best.

• Like 1

I find that a characters name will also screw up PayPal.

Took me over a year to get it fixed because my characters name was coming back as illegal country to deal with.

Go figure.