Sign in to follow this  
zombienerd

Any way to use Dynamic DNS Domain Name instead of IP?

I would like to open my server to some friends outside my house.  I have a dedicated box that I host several game servers on, but I have a dynamic IP address.  I have my router set to use a Dynamic Domain name, and it works for all other games.

Ports are opened and forwarded on the router, but when I use my domain name in the External IP block, instead of my local LAN IP, the server will not start - it just crashes.  Same goes for if I use my router's IP address.  If I use anything except my local LAN IP, the server refuses to start.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a trick to it?

Put in your local ip address as the external ip and port-forward the ports to your computer and it should work, this is what i'm doing on my network. only problem is that it wont work properly with multiple servers.

For some odd reason the way the server is currently made, it wont take the external router ip and will only accept the internal ip to your computer.

And no from what i can see there is not real what to use Dynamic DNS

Edited by urban

25 minutes ago, urban said:

Put in your local ip address as the external ip and port-forward the ports to your computer and it should work, this is what i'm doing on my network. only problem is that it wont work properly with multiple servers.

For some odd reason the way the server is currently made, it wont take the external router ip and will only accept the internal ip to your computer.

This explains the issue im having here:

Though I dont have an issue with the OP because I already used the local IP as the external I did have problems when adding a 2nd cluster server.. See below.

I fear the only working around here is to HACK the server and client code or run the cluster and the login server on the same machine. 

Edited by razoreqx

2 hours ago, razoreqx said:

This explains the issue im having here:

Though I dont have an issue with the OP because I already used the local IP as the external I did have problems when adding a 2nd cluster server.. See below.

I fear the only working around here is to HACK the server and client code or run the cluster and the login server on the same machine. 

There is no need to change the client to fix this the only fix there needs to made is to fix the server so that server sends the routers external ip instead of the interal ip to the client on server transfer

I replied to your message PM Urban.    Have you tested using the routers external public IP in the config?     And were you able to get the server to reload?   

When I change the IP address the server will not launch.    I get a long string of Java errors which I can provide you.   

I did however notice you can add the external IP to the commandline for use when the server is starting up  (i run headless)    I will also try and see if this works after I got off today today.    

You were spot on though for the cause of the issue.   When I checked the pcaps again i did in fact see when players zoned into a cluster server the external IP being passed that was set in the Database and it was in fact the private address.   

If the commandline feature works without causing a server crash I think i'll be in good shape..  

ip=<ip address>
The ip the server will bind to.