Sign in to follow this  
Milosanx

What do YOU think Rolf should do to change the numbers around in WO?

bugged pagebreaks.

Edited by Trake

1 minute ago, Trake said:

###### it, i give up, these forums suck.

11 hours ago, Sarcaticous said:

Why do so many people think noobs give a ratsazz about the game economy? That's for people who have decided WURM Online is for them and they are going to stay and can no longer be considered noobs. Noobs don't care about the frickin economy in the game. They care about whether or not their first days are actually FUN. Again, OLDER players care about the game economy. OLDER players care about trade. Don't ask older players what would help. It's painfully obvious they don't have a clue. FUN is what's important to noobs. Not the blee*ing economy. That comes a little later.

Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?  :)  No worries.  Happens to me all the time. 

(edit: I don't know if the hostility is directed at me since it's my post you were responding to, but whatever.  I'll chalk it up to you're venting in general and not take it personal)

You're right that noobs want fun.  But if the economy sucks and they don't foresee themselves being able to get around to make money, or connect with people for community, that's a concern for many people, not just noobs.  Yes we need more fun for noobs, but that's not all we need.  And the push by CC right now (judging by Rolf's post) is finding ways to give WO an edge over WU and keep people here who are already here.  That's in addition to noobs.  So yes, economy is important.  It's important as community, imo, and something that will always be different from WU, just as each WU server will have it's own unique community and economy.

Edited by Amadee

5 hours ago, Amadee said:

Some things I think should be eased up, like travel, etc, to aid community & economy. (those are the two things that will always be unique to any one game or server, no matter the similarities).  

Someone hasn't played in over a week. Travel was just made exponentially easier. Sure Xanadu is still a huge server and it might take you awhile to get from place A to place B, but travel, especially boat travel is in a very nice place, and I wouldn't want anything worse than hell horses.

I understand the game cornerstone is you build it you shape it you determine it so I don't want to take from that in my suggestion.  I believe micro transactions are the way to go for players to customize without changing the game from it's you make it type foundation.  Micro transactions will give players a  individual feel of something special and different, and wurm for it, will get a nice infusion of cash to float the game longer and  paid staff for enhanced content and game ideology.  Things i'm thinking of is a premium paid skin of new faces, hair, hand mirror type stuff.   Sets of unique emotes.  Things like this don't give advantage or interfere with crafting in game.

2 hours ago, Stik said:

Someone hasn't played in over a week. Travel was just made exponentially easier. Sure Xanadu is still a huge server and it might take you awhile to get from place A to place B, but travel, especially boat travel is in a very nice place, and I wouldn't want anything worse than hell horses.

lol.  As a matter of fact I have.  I play every day.  Guess you didn't see my other posts on the subject.

Travel has been eased a bit, yes, which is a great start.  I'm loving the change.  But it needs to go further, imo.  Boat speeds need some attention for one. 

But even that still only benefits those with access to the coast and boats.  What's needed, imo, is a portal system that connects the starter towns, and on Xan maybe a portal or two in some really out of the way places, way way inland.  I've given many reasons why this would be a good thing for all concerned, in other posts and other threads on this subject, and don't really feel like repeating myself here again so I'll leave it at that.  :)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 2

On 12/11/2015 at 6:12 PM, sulfurblade said:

And while I am not asking for money to drop off every mob, maybe a Buyer of bulk resources at the spawn towns that purchases things like Vegetables or Ore's.  Sure we can currently sell veggies to each other but there are logistics involved and there is the whole is buy around when seller is around...  Basically we need a way to get more cash into the economy to start to push it towards being a more buyer driven economy!

I really, really like this idea. I grow tired handing over RL money for silver. I want to be able to go to the spawn town and sell my goods for 20c or so. I feel like that I actually have a thing here, and not have to depend on a buyer or buyers who may or may never come on.

2 hours ago, Benie said:

I really, really like this idea. I grow tired handing over RL money for silver. I want to be able to go to the spawn town and sell my goods for 20c or so. I feel like that I actually have a thing here, and not have to depend on a buyer or buyers who may or may never come on.

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Sell

This is already a thing.

E:

5 hours ago, Amadee said:

Boat speeds need some attention for one. 

• Faster boat travel between servers.
  • Look into boat (and possibly other vehicles) speed affected by Quality Level

Already being addressed.

Don't really need portals because you shouldn't really have to be babied imo. I guess if your server is too big for you there's plenty of smaller servers. Can't really see the issue there. 
Mailing's also been in the best state that it's ever been, which kinda just applies to all these accessibility changes that brings the Isles together.

Edited by Stik

I'm really failing to understand the current goal of the Dev team to make WO stand out from WU

As far as I know all updates to WO are simultaneously released to WU

WU has been released on steam long enough for the show and tell factor to set in and really draw people over ( If that was the goal in WU's release ).

What is WO's current target audience Rolf wishes to draw or retain, brand new starry eyed players, or jaded old grouchy ones ( we've all been one of each at some point ).

Is there truly enough passion for the game in the Dev team to expand the game at the pace gamers eat up content in all MMO's these days, will released mods be the common path to new additions to WO or will it just be beat like a pinata until the candy stops dropping

There are so many mmo's at the moment that are dropping their subscription and moving in other directions. There are just to many games to choose from and people like to chop and change, they dont want to be bound to one with a paid amount for a month.

We know that Rolf doesn't want to stop his subs as he would lose all income. But what most games are doing is adding some other type of monetization for income and still keeping their subs option with added bonus for prem players.

It's a hard on and scary for wurm. But there are options out there.

But after all this about subscription or no subscription there is still thing about getting numbers and keeping them.

I pretty much sub to every game I play, even if it's just for the month. SO I don't go and have two beers that month, no biggie.

On 12/17/2015 at 11:05 PM, BrandonSF said:

I'd just stay stop with the nerfs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Best thing said in this whole thread

• Like 1

Needs good advertising and marketing.  I try to spread the word about WO as often as possible on the internet, but I'm one guy without the same resources a company has at its disposal, so it would be great to see more advertising and publicity for WO.

On 12/7/2015 at 7:42 PM, akaedis said:

Just googled it and got this link: http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/paying.html

Says its at 3840 right now. On the 1st, it was at 3905.

Lowest number showing in the graphs is 3771 currently so it's dropped 134 since December 1st. There was a slight slowdown/upswing last week where numbers started to go up again however the downward trend appears to have returned.

Highest point in the graphs was 5,305 premiums so at this time we have dropped 1,534 premiums since that point, about a 29 percent drop.

Edited by Nappy

On 12/16/2015 at 0:53 PM, Sarcaticous said:

Why do so many people think noobs give a ratsazz about the game economy? That's for people who have decided WURM Online is for them and they are going to stay and can no longer be considered noobs. Noobs don't care about the frickin economy in the game. They care about whether or not their first days are actually FUN. Again, OLDER players care about the game economy. OLDER players care about trade. Don't ask older players what would help. It's painfully obvious they don't have a clue. FUN is what's important to noobs. Not the blee*ing economy. That comes a little later.

What noob doesn't care about the economy in any MMORPG?  One of the first things a new player thinks about is how do I improve my character so I can compete??? He may even ask in global and he may quickly learn he need a specific QL tool with botd / WoA and CoC.  Then he try's to figure out how to make or aquire and if he has made it this far?  Because he has asked this many questions and enough people have answered him instead of ignoring him or simply saying stfu noob...  At this point in a noobs existence is when he ends up looking at those Vendors at the starter deed and couples that with the info he has recieved decides he needs to buy better tools...

Now the next slew of questions that are inevitable in wurm is how do I make money???  Where he gets the sobering answer, dig a 1000 dirt or make 1000 arrows....  Next question is there a way I can make money that's not so labor dirven or boring.  In which he might be directed to make 1000's of weapons in the hopes of lucking into a rare....  Eventually he realizes that his ability to make money as a new player is very limited...

Then he may or may not stumble upon the realization that his lack of money to aquire decent equipment and everyone around him who seems to have it and kills him on sight because he could be a spy!  Seems like a very hard maybe a gap thats so big its impossible to cross!  Because there is no doubt that at this point he is discovering the wurm effect?  A Day to make 1 Wall for a wooden shack???  5 Days latter my wooden shack wall decayed that took me a day to make???

So typically at this point the new player quits, and the rare occasions where a new player lasts longer then this period of time is if he happened to speak in global chat when the right kind person decided he wasnt a spy but indeed a real new player so they decided to send a PM and invite them to there village and hold his hand thru the hand holding period!

However Hand Holders?  Nice people in wurm are FAR FAR less then they use to be!

So yes Wurm has a major issue with its economy!  Its a very TOP down economy with the Rich getting Richer and the Poor getting Poorer!

And yes Wurm has a problems with its community because of the damned ease of being able to toss together an alt for whatever nefarious purpose you need?  Scout out an enemy kingdom, find a way around the corpse looting mechanic?  To act as a bank?  

And Yes Wurm has an issue with Grind, many actions take stupidly long amounts of time.  Meditation = bathroom break!  Why does it take longer to Repair a Wall then to build a new one???

And this last problem I have only now joined the group as before I really felt it was not a problem!  The Gap between the elite few in there Moon Armors with there tomes and spells that gap has grown so huge that similarly skilled characters can no longer stand a chance?  Guys who are not huge pvpers but did other things in the world like building roads and mines and armor and weapons.  That have played 5+ years can now end up in fights that feel as one sided???  As a fresh spawn facing off against this same character???  When a group of 15  Ranging between 99FS-70FS players with 90QL Plate, 90QL weapons fully enchanted with about 5 being 80+Faith priests are literally helpless at there own starter deed with templars/towerguards/rebirthed champion trolls against a group of 5 guys who have become so over geared that it for the most part it has broken pvp.

Now while I live on epic PvP has never been a driving force of my game play!  However, it was always an option!  Eh???  Now I am a believer in the tuck tail and log out approach!!!  

So I just listed a ton of symptoms to things that are infecting the wurm=verse from my point of view!  But I haven't given any ways to fix them, in this post because I don't want it to become longer then the book it already is! But the post would be pointless without suggested fix's

So:

Economy= Needs an influx of silver that the everyday new player can take advantage of.

NPC Bulk Resource Merchant that buys Rockshards? Dirt? Corn? Do some research, figure out the going rates of similiar transactions in the wurm world and then put these NPC's in not to compete or give better prices but to be another option.  Maybe they buy 1000 corn at .5Silver and the player rate is 1 silver...   

NPC Trade Quests Obtain 100 elevation Copper and deliver it to your started deed on your home server without using a Portal... And Recieve 20 copper as payment. 

These are a couple quick idea's to stimulate the economy!

Community= I have always believe there is a simple fix here!  Stop making the ability to create spy's and these trash Alts so easy!!!  It hurts the community when Legit new players get lost in the sea of spy's!!!

Action Timers= So many actions are Pointlessly long!!!  This is self explanatory...  You can change action timers and not mess with skill gain at all and make wurm less of a grind!!!

The Gap between the Elite and the Godly= I honestly don't know how to fix this one, I have for so long believed that the older player is entitled to his advantages because of his hard work and long term play that he should be far stronger then a new player. But there is a new gap forming that's not really because of account age but more about, an equipment disparity.  An old Epic Home player could be all rare steel armor and rare weapons with great enchants and good skills but it can't compete, the question is should it be able too?  Probably not!  So the only answer at this point is if you can't beat em join em???  That's definitely not a fix, either!  I think Home servers needs a greater access to stuff Elevation has!  

For instance why can't the Emperor live on home why don't titles work on home?  Why can't you find treasure chests on the home server?

Or why Won't the Snake give the Emperor title to a damned Loyal member of BL.....  You dance deserving people like Biggi infront of it over and over and NOTHING...  But a random spy alt??? Can hold our kingdom hostage???

Seriously The Emperor or King of any kingdom should NOT live on Elevation what king lives in the castle on the edge of the battleground???  Kings live deep in the heart of the safety of there territory!  However at the same time why does it matter if its Home or Elevation the King or his officers are on???  The offices should be cross server!  And the playerbase of the HOME server needs to be responsible for who the King is!  I Recommend every Deed on the Home Server is given a 1 Vote so that the person is not elected by spy alts but bye the actual part of the player base that gives a crap!!!

Okay I have gotten a little derailed on that last part but these are some things that need fixing!!! 

• Like 3

On 2 December 2015 at 10:16 PM, Mormo said:

He can also shut down WO, that affects on the numbers as well.

I would kill people if WO went down... I kinda wish WU didn't take players from the game. 

I love the game but losing it would be like a knife going into your liver.

@sulfurblade

Good idea with the idea of trader quests and also bulk traders. Although im a noob myself it feels like obtaining stuff alone is incredibly hard and these expert players have 90ql + stuff and its insane how just them alone can afford so much.

Oh no.  That's it.  It's the end.  No hope for us now.  Guess we should all just stop playing now and curl up into a ball of depression.  lol

That wasn't why i mentioned it - just shows another data point - not a doom and gloom.

Hey guys! I want to throw in a "noobs" point of view. My wife and I started playing about 3 weeks ago...so please take this with a grain of salt. I have played most of the large title MMO's for years, starting with Ultima Online (circa 1997) thru all of WoW and its expansions, as well as SWTOR. From my POV thus far, this game really reminds me of DAOC/UO as far as some of the dynamics, depth, and the economy. So far, the most challenging aspect has been getting money in the game, by far. Selling of things at the settlement deed does not garner much income and we currently do not have the resources to corner any markets like we did in WoW and on UO...yet. That being said, I have found a great community that have discounted (or just given to me outright) things to help us get started - and I think this is the selling point for me. I pay for our premium access and maybe a 3rd priest alt, which has been enough to cover my in-game expenses, but I think the community has been the biggest selling point for me thus far.

On the economy:

I like that I am not getting spammed into submission by china gold farmers, and the markets are one of my favorite things...auction houses hurt modern MMO's and took some of the cool factor from my youth. I remember, some of my fondest memories in MMO's were visiting the local blacksmith and pilfering thru vendors in UO as well as going into the housing zone in DAOC and doing the same. The fact that I can *make* weapons an armor has much greater reward to me personally than going in a pub instance run knowing I need to kill X monster for some awesomesauce gear...or grind weeks on end in battlegrounds/arenas for points to purchase them with.

Maybe it is just me - but people now are far too accustomed to being handed content in a game. Hell, even vanilla wow was far more challenging that the cluster they have going on right now. I don't disagree that the sub #'s should be higher and they could 'do more' to bolster the numbers, but there seems to be a fine balance also...remove some of the hardmode to attract those looking for instant gratification, or hope that you have a solid enough game to pull in people like me who have some sense of nostalgia from MMO's long past. At any rate... o7

• Like 5

On 12/16/2015 at 3:53 PM, Sarcaticous said:

I've been here a couple of years and don't much care about the economy. 

• Like 3

On 12/4/2015 at 2:23 AM, MrGARY said:

Odds are, the ~20 you know are likely the ~20 anyone will ever know. But lets just say it's 30 to be positive.  Will they stay?  I mean, there's surely that many people that will always "come back" for this or that change, such as the elevation map reset, and they did.  And they quit in weeks/month(s) as expected...  How can we trust the short term extremely minor boom vs the potentially long term major loss?  I mean it's proven time and time again the same exact people will always reprem for whatever reason and then quit when they get bored...  I'd rather not appease the few short term players and find a long term realistic solution that favors a much larger playerbase

and as Posteh said in his video (which sadly is no longer up) - the community always needs something new or they get bored and quit

Rolf gave us a new map, people came back, but he didn't follow through and continue to improve and give us more content, so people got bored and left, it's so predictable a blind man could have seen it coming

if the PvP side is ever going to see a large player base again, it first needs the current system to be balanced (this might mean removing things if that's what it comes to), then new content added (sorry, but most people don't like playing the same thing for years on end), and then that needs to be maintained

I never cared about the economy in Wurm, until the game became overwhelmingly about economy.

When I first started playing in 2008 Wurm had an economy yes, but it wasn't the main topic of discussion in kchat, adverts weren't spammed all the time and the forums weren't full of WTB/S ads. Wurm was a game about surviving in the wilderness and being eaten by wolves, not about making real life money from a game. Wurm wasn't "High Fantasy", there were few tools and weapons with enchants (that I saw), Priests were rare and Artifacts were awesome. Now Wurm is high fantasy, weapons and tools have multiple enchants and finding someone that uses only normal tools with no magic is rare, the game is ALL about money now and Artifacts are crap compared to what some Players can make.

Wurm is all about money now, perhaps it always was, but it was much easier to avoid that emphasis years ago than now. If Rolf wants Wurm to remain thus, then he needs to market Wurm to players of games like Entropia Universe if he can. Wurm is not just a MMO, It's a RMT MMO. There's a difference.

I quit Wurm because it's so full of economy this and economy that now, but that does not mean I don't care about what happens to Wurm and it's Players. I hope Rolf can find a way to boost Wurm Online's player numbers so the game can continue. Wurm is a special and unique game and it would be a shame to see it fade away. Best of life to all of you.

Edited by geode
  • Like 1

Trying to lure players into an online game and retain them with the structure of being able to make real life currency from it is a poor approach because it effects the whole balance of the total costs for playing the game, turning them into the advantage for those who pursue this course and in turn inflating the game playing costs for those who don't focus on this aspect.

These effects are clearly exhibited within Wurm Online and not too hard to decipher when the player who does not participate within it (the "economy") takes some moments of thought about their expenses for playing the game. Of course this will all be attempted to be phoo-phooed and obfuscated by those who have a vested interest and structured their game-play in order to either subsidize their expenses or make some additional *phantom* cash pocket change from doing so.

Even back in the day when playing Ultima Online there were a few who focused upon making money from selling housing and gold but it had not so nearly infected the game and had the influence upon it that this capability has within WO. Nothing can be done about this here of course, since the god of Wurm deems this to be the course that he will pursue, without apparently much consideration about how this increases the cost of playing the game for those who do not choose to play the game with the goal of subsidizing their game-play with these options available.

Old news I guess and the best approach I can see is to either grin and bear it or move on to other lands unknown. The game does have a more subtle allure to it though; if that can be focused upon much idle enjoyment can be had over the years, passing time in a blissful dream like state while ignoring the wolves who prowl outside in their transparent concealment within the Wurm "economy".

Happy Trails

=Ayes=