Sign in to follow this  
Milosanx

What do YOU think Rolf should do to change the numbers around in WO?

It has probably been said already, but he should think about some of the mods and the value they could add to WO.

The ones I love most that would fit nicely into WO are the animals Absolutely Nobody added to the game and Arkonik's Hitching Post. I am not sure who made the Digging Like Mining but being able to dig and it pile on the ground and dredging directly into the boat are very convenient. I think the last one was Absolutely Nobody also. He added the woodtype ship textures back.

All of these things are minor changes. The digging changes would not be very good for Epic and Chaos maybe. You don't want some alt dropping the dirt you just took off back into the ground. The rest are basically cosmetic.

EDIT: Of course, this is entirely my own opinion. He attracts me with shinies. 

Edited by Audrel

I don't know if this has been shouted anywhere at any time, but why not give every premium player a free 11x11 deed. Anything bigger would go by the same cost as it's now.

When premium runs out, the deed will have x days of upkeep and then disbands unless player has additional money in coffin.

Right now it feels to me we have double subscriptions; one for the character, other for deed. Granted, the monthly cost for minimum size deed is not much, but it still is additional outgo, especially for new players who cannot make money by selling good items. 

Just an idea, it may well have very bad consequences. Or very good.

Also. Add more "minor" things. Like... if I have a pet dog, why's there no option to make it "follow" me without leading it? Where the hell are cats (domestic, not those angry red things in the jungle). Horses should have saddle bags (come on, I've got a packback, horse should have one too). Village banners/flags (put 'em on houses, ships, horse armor, anywhere). CAPES! (shut up, Edna). Fuel canisters for off-deed lamps. More visual glitter, a few practical tweaks. You know what I mean.

I know some of those "little" things can take more work than it seems, but I'm sure it would pay off.

But don't mess with skills, it would really piss me off after a year long playing, if some 2 months old newbie has the same skills as I do.

Just now, Shmeric said:

I don't know if this has been shouted anywhere at any time, but why not give every premium player a free 11x11 deed. Anything bigger would go by the same cost as it's now.

When premium runs out, the deed will have x days of upkeep and then disbands unless player has additional money in coffin.

Right now it feels to me we have double subscriptions; one for the character, other for deed. Granted, the monthly cost for minimum size deed is not much, but it still is additional outgo, especially for new players who cannot make money by selling good items. 

Just an idea, it may well have very bad consequences. Or very good.

Also. Add more "minor" things. Like... if I have a pet dog, why's there no option to make it "follow" me without leading it? Where the hell are cats (domestic, not those angry red things in the jungle). Horses should have saddle bags (come on, I've got a packback, horse should have one too). Village banners/flags (put 'em on houses, ships, horse armor, anywhere). CAPES! (shut up, Edna). Fuel canisters for off-deed lamps. More visual glitter, a few practical tweaks. You know what I mean.

I know some of those "little" things can take more work than it seems, but I'm sure it would pay off.

But don't mess with skills, it would really piss me off after a year long playing, if some 2 months old newbie has the same skills as I do.

haha I just put this very thing into the Plan for a Plan thread.

Rolf doesn't need to do much of anything other than fix bugs, and incorporate the best of the mods. The game is already infinitely better in WU because of the mods, and its only been out what 6 weeks? This is just the beginning.  

• Like 4

No matter what is done or not done, there will always be people (like me) who will not play any game on anything but "official" servers run by the company that owns/runs the game. 

In addition to that, there will always be people (again, like me), who will never use Steam and will therefore never play any game that is Steam-only. (and, no, I have no desire to answer the inevitable questions asking "why not?" or argue Steam pros and/or cons with Steam defenders.  My reasons are my own and will not change. Personal choice).

And then there will always be those (me again, lol), who have zero interest in a souped up version of Wurm with god mode and the word "free" doesn't make them salivate like the Pavlovian dog.

I don't know what the answer is, as to what would bring people back who have run off for what they think are greener pastures.  I'm sure for some, it probably is better.  But I'm equally sure that there are probably people who's first exposure to Wurm is WU who would prefer WO, (as many of us do), if not for some of the things they would now see as obstacles that they don't experience in WU.  Things like the travel times and newby experience, and other stuff people have mentioned in Rolf's thread. 

Sure, anything added here would be added there, but I'm thinking about those who would otherwise prefer to be playing on the official servers. Those are the folks they should work on trying to entice to Wurm and remove some of the obstacles that might prevent them from enjoying WO. 

Those who don't care who's running a server will probably never be enticed for any reason anyway.  They'll go where it's free and/or super easy and I really don't see anything that can be done about that.  A large number of that type are like mayflies (and with about the same attention span), and would probably not stick around under any circumstances anyway.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 2

Adding player created mods to WO will happen, i'm pretty sure. All the ground work has been done by players, Rolf would be silly not to add the best ones. It will make WO better. To leave them in WU only would be death to WO.

• Like 4

I love having ideas, most of them are rubbish, but what do you guys think about this one:

Implement a new type of deed called "Plot". You may have one "Plot" for free (without upkeep) if you have premium.

Plots can only be planted on another deed with mayors permission.

Plots contribute to deed upkeep, in effect meaning that if you take on premium players as villagers in your deed, you will get a cost reduction, also, you will have a cheaper deed if you make a small deed for yourself, but not a big one.

Just a way trying to put people together a bit, since there are a ton of one-player deeds that are essentially empty and dead most of the time.

Suggestion will give higher density and potentially also provide more un-deeded land.

We need to be able to lower the grind, distribute the funds, give skilling bonuses....

Make a sleep powder converter, if you add 2 sleep powders you get an enriched powder, this both increases skill chance/tick AND shortens the timer, buy maybe 20%

Make two enriched powders into an advanced powder, this increases ticks x 4 and timer by 1/2

etc etc

Make Wurm less of a time sink, we can all deal with the difficulty but its the grind that sees most of us leave. Only to come back, then to leave. Etc. I love the time it takes to make stuff but that's why wurm doesn't succeed, limited, and a player base that cant often fill the commitments needed by the game.

Edited by FreeTineen

53 minutes ago, FreeTineen said:

Make Wurm less of a time sink, we can all deal with the difficulty but its the grind that sees most of us leave. Only to come back, then to leave. Etc. I love the time it takes to make stuff but that's why wurm doesn't succeed, limited, and a player base that cant often fill the commitments needed by the game.

I don't totally disagree, but how do you implement less of a grind that doesn't make the player base feel like they've been cheated out of the time they spent to raise their skills?

Even then, say you get the high skills with less grind. Now what? You're still in the same sandbox the game is. I liked Posteh's post at least in regards to PvP servers, adding some significance to land held / hota wins etc. I'm sure similar ideas could be done for Freedom.

I think the game is only going to improve as others were saying with the addition of the best WU mods, it's up to Rolf to steer the ship.

41 minutes ago, revengo said:

I don't totally disagree, but how do you implement less of a grind that doesn't make the player base feel like they've been cheated out of the time they spent to raise their skills?

Even then, say you get the high skills with less grind. Now what? You're still in the same sandbox the game is. I liked Posteh's post at least in regards to PvP servers, adding some significance to land held / hota wins etc. I'm sure similar ideas could be done for Freedom.

I think the game is only going to improve as others were saying with the addition of the best WU mods, it's up to Rolf to steer the ship.

There's hardly a playerbase left, and whilst I understand completely (was a freedumber who joined when inde opened up to ftp) the game needs to modernize and adapt. There are dozens of sandbox mmo's on the market these days. Wurm needs to compete, Rolf couldn't steer a ship in his own game.

On 12/4/2015, 11:24:33, Amadee said:

No matter what is done or not done, there will always be people (like me) who will not play any game on anything but "official" servers run by the company that owns/runs the game. 

In addition to that, there will always be people (again, like me), who will never use Steam and will therefore never play any game that is Steam-only. (and, no, I have no desire to answer the inevitable questions asking "why not?" or argue Steam pros and/or cons with Steam defenders.  My reasons are my own and will not change. Personal choice).

And then there will always be those (me again, lol), who have zero interest in a souped up version of Wurm with god mode and the word "free" doesn't make them salivate like the Pavlovian dog.

I don't know what the answer is, as to what would bring people back who have run off for what they think are greener pastures.  I'm sure for some, it probably is better.  But I'm equally sure that there are probably people who's first exposure to Wurm is WU who would prefer WO, (as many of us do), if not for some of the things they would now see as obstacles that they don't experience in WU.  Things like the travel times and newby experience, and other stuff people have mentioned in Rolf's thread. 

Sure, anything added here would be added there, but I'm thinking about those who would otherwise prefer to be playing on the official servers. Those are the folks they should work on trying to entice to Wurm and remove some of the obstacles that might prevent them from enjoying WO. 

Those who don't care who's running a server will probably never be enticed for any reason anyway.  They'll go where it's free and/or super easy and I really don't see anything that can be done about that.  A large number of that type are like mayflies (and with about the same attention span), and would probably not stick around under any circumstances anyway.

Already  it seems with Rolf cherry picking some of the better mods, where does the line end up blurring between WU / WO, the worst eye opener for my personally was the speed things that have been suggested for years were created and added to WU.

My opinion on WU has changed as I finally decided to try it out, I so far feel a more connected sense of community on a server that wanes between 30 -60 than I have since Freedom was one server.

The biggest drawback imo to WO atm is the disconnected community that Rolf has continued to fracture year after year with the addition of one server after another, WU was just another step further in that direction, I would think at this time any focus should be to find ways to rejoin the current community either through ease of travel or some way to bring people closer together in some other way, seeing one person in local monthly or less makes the world feel very small, no matter how much " open land " is available.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, FreeTineen said:

There's hardly a playerbase left, and whilst I understand completely (was a freedumber who joined when inde opened up to ftp) the game needs to modernize and adapt. There are dozens of sandbox mmo's on the market these days. Wurm needs to compete, Rolf couldn't steer a ship in his own game.

You make it sound like there's been a dramatic change in the playerbase when there hasn't. He can't alienate those still playing.

15 minutes ago, revengo said:

You make it sound like there's been a dramatic change in the playerbase when there hasn't. He can't alienate those still playing.

You also cant just ignore the small numbers and player staying vs leaving ratio.

Which is greater, The ability to pull in more players or the ability to hold onto what is currently falling apart?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, akaedis said:

You also cant just ignore the small numbers and player staying vs leaving ratio.

Which is greater, The ability to pull in more players or the ability to hold onto what is currently falling apart?

And this is why I believe something more drastic than a few cosmetic changes is needed to save this game from fading away with loss of players constantly to WU opr other games. Its why I support a merge of the pvp servers.

• Like 1

Out of curiousity what is the number of premium players on WO now that it is Dec 6 (lost the link to the graph)? How many have we lost/gained in this first week of December?

10 minutes ago, Nappy said:

Out of curiousity what is the number of premium players on WO now that it is Dec 6 (lost the link to the graph)? How many have we lost/gained in this first week of December?

Just googled it and got this link: http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/paying.html

Says its at 3840 right now. On the 1st, it was at 3905.

7 hours ago, Nappy said:

Still losing players every week, but at a slower pace now (when it was worst, the daily measure was 100 players under the weekly average, now it is just 50 under). Looks like game will be losing around 10% per month now. 

http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/paying.html

Looking from the outskirts of the game, things are developing much as I thought when WU was announced. A great chunk of players have left for WU, but somehow that is not enough for many of them. They are now - while not supporting WO - in pitched voices demanding that WO is changed to resemble that other game. Specifically with higher skill gain. 

I expect a change in skill gain will happen in a years time or before, and at that time about 50% of those still playing WO will leave immediately, finding that the efforts they have put into WO the past 4-6 years have been betrayed. Some of those who are currently not playing WO anymore will return, for a month or two, then leave again.

A better way to get more players would be to improve the game, preferrably with a better engine, spending that extra money that came from WU :)

Edited by Cista

A better way to get more players would be to improve the game, preferrably with a better engine, spending that extra money that came from WU

This. Getting new players is the key. Older players have left due to bugs and perhaps the bad handling of bug issues and they aren't coming back. With Bugs, GM needs to support the players better, nothing is a game killer than players losing stuff and skill when it's not their fault. We do need a new engine and combat for new players, but we need bugs fixed for older players, to stay in the game.

• Like 1

Collect lessons learned from the past 10(?) years.

Then start working on Wurm2.0 with a new combat system, new magic system, real 3d world including caves, allow for community designed (cosmetic) content (with dev approval).

I'm not sure what would get others to come back or stay longer (1 in 10+ noob stay). I can say for sure about myself. I haven't had premium for a month or so now. I just log into Wurm to check deed upkeep and drain a couple traders on Deli.

For years I've been playing WO and during this time I constantly experienced things that I thought were just plain dumb. I'd try to express my dissapointed which was basically a waste of time. In the end I just dealt with it and moved on.

Now there is this WU where I can mod out anything I don't like or don't agree with. It's a lot more work that is for sure. I've spent most of my time lately reading WU code and trying to figure out how to make changes. I just can't see myself ever coming back to WO because it's very unlikely that I can play WO exactly how I want to play. Which is exactly what I'm doing in WU.

• Like 2

Publish calendars of the "Boys and Girls of Wurm" featuring tasteful spreads of Wurm staff.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, griper said:

Collect lessons learned from the past 10(?) years.

Then start working on Wurm2.0 with a new combat system, new magic system, real 3d world including caves, allow for community designed (cosmetic) content (with dev approval).

Agree 100% here With Wurm 2.0., and new combat, magic systems.  I would also add monsters and loot.

I haven't read any suggestions that will bring back 100's much less thousands of users WO as it stands now. Trust has been lost, so many problems to fix.  Time heals wounds.

Reboot with 2.0 if you want 20k - 50k subscribers.  Also instead of subscription model change to cash shops.  I don't like cash shops personally, but I do use them and pay.  This is the way of the future it seems.  Let 20% of the users pay 80% of the bill.

On 12/2/2015, 2:01:45, Yaga said:

Repeating yourself over and over again will not really help. :angry: (I wonder how many more threads you'll spam with this idea...)

Rolf wants to do the merge he's talked about several times; it will happen at some point. You better start sharpening your swords and make the plate armor you've seen pictures of.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RazorBrains said:

Agree 100% here With Wurm 2.0., and new combat, magic systems.  I would also add monsters and loot.

I haven't read any suggestions that will bring back 100's much less thousands of users WO as it stands now. Trust has been lost, so many problems to fix.  Time heals wounds.

Reboot with 2.0 if you want 20k - 50k subscribers.  Also instead of subscription model change to cash shops.  I don't like cash shops personally, but I do use them and pay.  This is the way of the future it seems.  Let 20% of the users pay 80% of the bill.

Just gotta say, these are terrible suggestions. Monsters and loot exist in every other MMO and do nothing to improve Wurm except homogenize it.

Cash shops? Sounds like a slippery slope to a P2W experience.