Sign in to follow this  
Milosanx

What do YOU think Rolf should do to change the numbers around in WO?

I am quite sure there is no resolution to keeping WO, as it is, active.

There is no going back now he released WU, except make a Wurm 2.0 that is C++ and current with tech and make it a much more current game (actually 3D...) with the same grind we all loved to hate.

Cele is down to an average of 5 people online 90% of the time now. WO is screwed if he does not make a Wurm 2.0 that is subscription.

My 2 cents...

-e

Edited by Roh

2 hours ago, revengo said:

Just gotta say, these are terrible suggestions. Monsters and loot exist in every other MMO and do nothing to improve Wurm except homogenize it.

Cash shops? Sounds like a slippery slope to a P2W experience.

Wurm, and any game like it is already p2w. On pvp servers (especially rampant on chaos) you can spam a multitude of tower blocking deeds that cost at most 2s per deed in terms of maintenance). 

Here's some ideas to break the meta, any of these could be implemented on their own or in conjunction with others. The vast majority of these should only be implemented on new or reset server's due to the feels of a certain 30%

1) Build in an exponential cost for purchasing deed tiles at increasing based on distance from the capital. This enforces making a choice between a coastal capital or a more central one on chaos. It also sets a financial wall, but this could potentially be abused by affluent players.

2) limit deed numbers,  atm if you so wish and have the manpower to do so you can use deeds to do any number of meta things. You can ring fence off whole areas with deeds. Not going into detail but this is a reality. 

3) Introduce kingdom population caps with the current system of no cozy alliances. This helps prevent snowball kingdom's and creates potentially more groups in contention 

4) endgame content. Define what the goal is for each map cycle. Maybe it's gonna be control x number of fortifications, hota wins, deed disbands, %controlled, office kills. Basically any goal that a group can strive for that will complete a cycle. Whats the reward, pretty much bragging rights but anything is better than the current stagnant system.

There are any number of other things than can be altered to improve the pvp side of the game. These are my opinions but people may have others.

• Like 1

I think the best way to make WO better is to have Rolf hand it over to someone who knows what they are doing. Who knows how to run a successful MMO. Then he can sit back, collect the money and go fishing. 

• Like 1

I think the best way to make WO better is to have Rolf hand it over to someone who knows what they are doing. Who knows how to run a successful MMO. Then he can sit back, collect the money and go fishing. 

This is easy to say, but this is a hard niche genre and most companies wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. 

I was looking on Steamspy the other day. Looking at purchase numbers. I recently actually played Life is Feudal to see what it is actually like, which I swore I didnt need to as I play wurm. Imo it's half the game wurm is, But it has the 2 things the majority of superficial players want......It' looks great and it's combat although need improving, is way better and at a standard of what people expect.

I'm hoping Rolf is putting the 18k sales of WU into a new engine and combat. I dont know if there is any news around about an new engine, but I think it would bring new players in droves and bring back old players for sure.

4 hours ago, Milosanx said:

This is easy to say, but this is a hard niche genre and most companies wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. 

Right, that's why there is a huge proliferation of this type of game. 

9 hours ago, Sarcaticous said:

Right, that's why there is a huge proliferation of this type of game. 

You compare all those game with wurm, just because the are called 'open world survival sandbox'. Every man and his dog is calling there game this these days, doesn't mean they are the same. One of the funniest I heard on youtube  about wurm is "This kinda like RUST"...ok

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Milosanx said:

You compare all those game with wurm, just because the are called 'open world survival sandbox'. Every man and his dog is calling there game this these days, doesn't mean they are the same. One of the funniest I heard on youtube  about wurm is "This kinda like RUST"...ok

If you narrow down your classification to "Games that are exactly like wurm", then yes, Wurm is a niche within the wurm genre.  But there isnt any one specific mechanic or trait that is absolutely unique to wurm, terraforming is now available in a lot of games, the skills system and tree was pretty much lifted entirely from Ultima Online, and the combat, while in "3d" is reminiscent of old school RP games, real time turned base even.   Its not as unique as you would think.  But I agree, its nothing like rust or ark.

I have to agree that Wurm is already pay to win, but not in the same sense as other games are. Using blocker deeds on Chaos is only half right, in the sense that you can buy the silver if you choose. There are ample ways of getting silver in-game without even opening your wallet though, where as a traditional pay to win game uses a secondary currency that you cannot earn in-game. If deeds required some kind of "Gem" that you could only buy from Wurm Shop, then your statement would be factual.

To me, the pay to win aspect is more about the accounts that are sold. That's something you really don't see anywhere else - not legally anyway - and does allow someone with the financial means to shortcut the game. On the other hand, having a single good account doesn't really make you win, so I suppose my point is only half correct as well. :)

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Keenan said:

I have to agree that Wurm is already pay to win, but not in the same sense as other games are. Using blocker deeds on Chaos is only half right, in the sense that you can buy the silver if you choose. There are ample ways of getting silver in-game without even opening your wallet though, where as a traditional pay to win game uses a secondary currency that you cannot earn in-game. If deeds required some kind of "Gem" that you could only buy from Wurm Shop, then your statement would be factual.

To me, the pay to win aspect is more about the accounts that are sold. That's something you really don't see anywhere else - not legally anyway - and does allow someone with the financial means to shortcut the game. On the other hand, having a single good account doesn't really make you win, so I suppose my point is only half correct as well. :)

Who are you even talking at. Gosh

On 12/7/2015 at 7:42 PM, akaedis said:

Just googled it and got this link: http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/paying.html

Says its at 3840 right now. On the 1st, it was at 3905.

3790 right now according to the graph.

I think the recent updates and changed actions will make a difference towards slowing the drop rate somewhat. It seems like in the past week there has been a noticeable change in the tone of communications and what appears to be better listening to the community in terms of what they want from the game (a tricky thing to do). Many of the most recent updates are addressing "quality of life" issues that thread after thread have requested help with in the past. Also a greater focus on community events including making it far easier to get to the next treasure hunt (sailing change and portals in all starter towns).

I suspect there will still be another large drop around 2.5 months after WU came out as people who left WO for WU permanently let the last of their WO chars lose premium.

~Nappy

The number 1 thing about wurm that needs to be fixed is the (Pointless time sinks)  I think many people could handle the Epic Skill curve if pointless time sinks didn't exist.

What do I mean???

You put a brick onto a wall it takes 3-10 seconds depending on tool and skill?  But to repair the wall it takes 30 seconds???  Here is an example of a pointless time sink!!! I can build a new wall far faster then repairing an existing wall...

So I don't believe the skill gain needs to be messed with so much as action timers need to be adjusted across the board...  This would make wurm feel less grindy without messing with everyones precious skills...

The other thing I believe that wurm needs is more free cash in the economy!  We currently have Vendors and the ability to put them anywhere we want and this is GREAT...  but we have a seller driven economy not a buyer driven one...

And while I am not asking for money to drop off every mob, maybe a Buyer of bulk resources at the spawn towns that purchases things like Vegetables or Ore's.  Sure we can currently sell veggies to each other but there are logistics involved and there is the whole is buy around when seller is around...  Basically we need a way to get more cash into the economy to start to push it towards being a more buyer driven economy!

• Like 1

I think Rolf should release emails/newsletters to players that have had wurm accounts containing all the new things add plus bugs that have been fixed. We get these Emails for really big updates and if our prem is going to expire, but there should be newsletters not so big things. Things like this can bring people back into the loop "ah yeah, wurm, haven't played that in awhile".

I just looked thru emails and there is Wurm commumity News Emails, so I stand corrected.

All in all, throwing out email more often with alll the update info may just jog player that have left back into playing.

13 hours ago, Nappy said:

Many of the most recent updates are addressing "quality of life" issues that thread after thread have requested help with in the past. Also a greater focus on community events including making it far easier to get to the next treasure hunt (sailing change and portals in all starter towns)

Eliminating the skill grind and making everybody teleport to everywhere in Wurm is certainly not going to make me resume payment for Wurm again. Working on skills and traveling through the landscape are important Wurm gameplay elements to me.

If you remove the gameplay, what would I be doing in Wurm then? Stand around, dancing to a tune with my friends in their town? I can do that in Second Life, and with much raunchier outfits and better moves.

As I and a few others have said, they should spend their newfound money on adding content and improving the game engine, to make the Wurm that we love more fun. 

Unfortunately, I fully anticipate they will keep the money, bow to the screamers and turn WO on full easy mode during the next year or so, and the game will just die a slow death as everyone finds out they have nothing to do after 3-4 weeks.

Edited by Cista

Wurm does need more content and a better game engine. It also definitely needs more things to do mid to end game. Getting rid of timers that do nothing but aggravate are a step in the right direction. Changing the skill grinding speed on WO is troublesome for those who have invested heavily, either time or money, into characters on WO. A change to combat to make it far more interesting in both PVE and PVP would also go a long way I think.

WO problem is fundamentally a question of "Why play on WO instead of WU?". Content additions that also go to WU don't help with answering the question in a positive way for WO IMHO.

Having a vibrant community with fun events to participate in can help give WO an advantage over WU.

Having a vibrant trading economy can help give WO an advantage over WU.

Having better PVP can help give WO an advantage over WU.

Not sure what else they can do to give WO an edge. Without a doubt adding more content and mid/end game activities will help improve Wurm (WO and WU) overall.

~Nappy

On 12/7/2015 at 11:59 PM, Milosanx said:

This. Getting new players is the key. Older players have left due to bugs and perhaps the bad handling of bug issues and they aren't coming back. With Bugs, GM needs to support the players better, nothing is a game killer than players losing stuff and skill when it's not their fault. We do need a new engine and combat for new players, but we need bugs fixed for older players, to stay in the game.

This. Cannot do anything more with my knarr as it is stuck on my transporter. Hours and hours of work down the tubes and no idea if this bug will be fixed any time soon. I am a paying player toying with the idea of leaving the game due to this bug and others.

On 12/2/2015 at 8:50 AM, Kegan said:

s to help take the "grind" out of the game about all the bad reviews i have seen has called out the game for being the worst grind they have ever seen in a game.

Agree. It's not like a punishment to old players with high levels anyway. They get the benefit of faster grind at the higher levels too.
Maybe anger could also be releaved by giving anyone thats played x amount of years back dated skill gain avg by the amount of hours played or just rare free stuff.

I think mixed PvE/p could be a way to go too. Under one kingdom. Disputes can be settled differently allies rise and fall etc.
Faster skill gain, but not a complete PvP mayhem like epic and not the bore of Freedom after to much time on it.

Having a vibrant community with fun events to participate in can help give WO an advantage over WU.

Having a vibrant trading economy can help give WO an advantage over WU.

I think this is a huge issue in WO and something that has been naively overlooked for far to long.

As soon as I started playing I learned of Wurms stale economy and it started to frustrate me. All the mechanics are there ready to go. All it ever needed was ways to inject silver in to the economy and that could of been done in so many ways. But instead (And this happened before I started playing) the idea was to RAISE THE PRICE OF SILVER!

Good idea. If you are trying to destroy what ever was left of a economy, just make money even more scarce.

Now markets everywhere are dead and nobody buys anything, most silver is spent on forms and upkeeps with little opportunity to work in game for a decent amount of it. It's a stupid self destructing policy that should of been addressed the year I started playing.

You cant fix stupid. 

Why is there no community events run by Wurm themselves?. I get that it's a sandbox but the total lack of interactive administration helps make WO stale. Automated tables and Santas for Christmas. Automated everything. No get together no celebrations.
No contests. WHY? If for no other reason it could of been used as a way to pump Silver in to Wurm.
NYE countdown. Yeah timezones so what? it could of been 24 hours of fun games prizes and fireworks. Etc etc etc.

^ I don't think so. If they didn't implement any code changes across the board people will get mad.

Edited by AlexLong

Sorry. I don't usually rant like that these days but when I started to think of all the reasons why I'm struggling with WO. All I can think of is all the suggestion threads where I've read things like this and mixed feed back.
However I never received much mixed feed back when suggesting economic changes. EVERYONE wanted to see a thriving economy. So the fact it hasn't happened in the 4 or so years I've been playing just really bugs the hell out of me. 

I'd love to see WO grow. But fact is unless there is big changes in some ways. It never will. Just releasing WO on Steam or something won't be enough to appeal to people.

On 12/12/2015 at 11:59 AM, Nappy said:

WO problem is fundamentally a question of "Why play on WO instead of WU?". Content additions that also go to WU don't help with answering the question in a positive way for WO IMHO.

That is the main problem.  WU has the market cornered on the easy mode wurm.  WO will never be able to beat WU in terms of easiness.  That is why i think WO needs to become more difficult as opposed to easier. I believe there are many older gamers who miss the days when games were very challenging and are disappointed at the current state of gaming today, this is who Rolf needs to target.  Don't waste your time trying to coddle the younger gamers who won't pay a subscription anyway.  A harder will game will also encourage village life as opposed to solo living and will should also encourage more trading.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2015 at 7:59 PM, Nappy said:

Just let me point out the obvious (again): the vibrant community that I have loved in Wurm came from the fact that everyone is not the same. Priests have value, blacksmiths have value, weaponsmiths have value. We even have a friggin' person come over to create our mailbox, then *another* person to enchant it! Veterans help newbie players every day, because new players are helpless.

Getting rid of skill grind and other restrictions will effectively kill whatever community is left in WO.

Why do you think there are impalongs? To help people get tools imped that they could just imp themselves? Think again :)

Edited by Cista
  • Like 1

Make wurm onlnine unique. 

Things like changing the skill system will just make it a copy of WU but 5 times more expensive.

• Like 2

Some things I think should be eased up, like travel, etc, to aid community & economy. (those are the two things that will always be unique to any one game or server, no matter the similarities).  

There are other things that could be eased up a bit too, easier if you like, that wouldn't change the core of the game.  Things that would, in fact, help with community building and boosting the economy.

But I can't help thinking that changing the fundamental things, like the skill system and turning into a high priced WU needs to be given a whole lot more thought than they seem to be giving it right now.

Edit:  Also wanted to say that the way skills are gained isn't the problem for most people anyway.  Shortening the timers on a few things slightly...(very slightly)...would be of much more help in the perceived grind than making a skill system based on successes. All that will do is make it even harder at low levels when it's so hard to get a success and easier at high levels where you rarely fail.

Edited by Amadee

we all know that wurm online is a hardcore game. and some new player are shocked that they can die easily even with the newbie-health-thing because trolls still run after you even if you have that. and that the trolls go into houses doesnt help either.

i dont like that too because if i have a door lock on it then i want that the trolls cant go in too.

so i can understand when new player quit after they found out how wurm online works.

and surely it would help alot if wurm online get a better promotion.

and btw..... you really should do something with the website! in these times where all the mobiles and tablets are there the website should be responsive too!

hmmmm..... and playing wurm online on a tablet would be nice too.....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Amadee said:

Some things I think should be eased up, like travel, etc, to aid community & economy. (those are the two things that will always be unique to any one game or server, no matter the similarities).  

There are other things that could be eased up a bit too, easier if you like, that wouldn't change the core of the game.  Things that would, in fact, help with community building and boosting the economy.

But I can't help thinking that changing the fundamental things, like the skill system and turning into a high priced WU needs to be given a whole lot more thought than they seem to be giving it right now.

Edit:  Also wanted to say that the way skills are gained isn't the problem for most people anyway.  Shortening the timers on a few things slightly...(very slightly)...would be of much more help in the perceived grind than making a skill system based on successes. All that will do is make it even harder at low levels when it's so hard to get a success and easier at high levels where you rarely fail.

Why do so many people think noobs give a ratsazz about the game economy? That's for people who have decided WURM Online is for them and they are going to stay and can no longer be considered noobs. Noobs don't care about the frickin economy in the game. They care about whether or not their first days are actually FUN. Again, OLDER players care about the game economy. OLDER players care about trade. Don't ask older players what would help. It's painfully obvious they don't have a clue. FUN is what's important to noobs. Not the blee*ing economy. That comes a little later.

• Like 1