Sign in to follow this  
Milosanx

What do YOU think Rolf should do to change the numbers around in WO?

There has been a lot of talk about WO numbers and everyone an expert when It comes to someone else's business.

Post here, say what would be great ways of getting players and support the business as well. Lets get serious suggestions, not ones like "lower the sub price", we are looking for suggestion that can benefit both player and company.

To be honest faster skills and timers to help take the "grind" out of the game about all the bad reviews i have seen has called out the game for being the worst grind they have ever seen in a game.

I know that is part of what a lot of us like but there needs to be an option for the other side too and is why i had suggested a new cluster with fast skills and timers but it might be to late for that now with wu being on steam.   

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

merge epic and chaos

-1 Not the same skill curve, so there would be no point. 

Edited by Drentle
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

merge epic and chaos

Repeating yourself over and over again will not really help. :angry: (I wonder how many more threads you'll spam with this idea...)

19 minutes ago, Milosanx said:

There has been a lot of talk about WO numbers and everyone an expert when It comes to someone else's business.

Post here, say what would be great ways of getting players and support the business as well. Lets get serious suggestions, not ones like "lower the sub price", we are looking for suggestion that can benefit both player and company.

Milosanx, did you notice this thread: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/135575-plan-for-a-plan/    ?

I don't see in what respect your new thread is different from what Rolf himself asked us to think about...

PvP Wise the game doesn't have objectives, goals, or real any end game, or end game content.  This is strictly PvP server wise, however, it may apply to PvE/Freedom also, but really it's not endless as people state, it's continuous without a point or goal.  There is no motivating force to push someone out to PvP, you can attend 100 HotAs in a row, or skip 100 HotAs in a row.  You can willingly go into a fight or willing flee from a fight.  You can grind fighting to 100 or stop at 70.  Have the most land?  Have the most rank?  Have the most karma?  Have the most HotA wins?  Have the best ruler success rate?  Doesn't matter.  None of that has any effect.  There just is no win or lose like Challenge, it's just endless small skirmishes that stack up, but yet mean nothing at all.  Understandably this is a sandbox game, but it's a terrible platform for a PvP environment, and that's why the population stinks.  People get bored, it feels redundant, and in the end there's little achieved.  

I just wish the PvP environment was more motivating to do things, more rewards for going out, exploring, contesting objectives, and such.  All it really is now is sit on your deed, and pick what fight you want.  It's low risk, and honestly this is probably one the most safest low risk games I've played.  

• Like 7

I love Wurm but I'd still firmly agree - Wurm is by far the most grindy game I've ever played and have ever seen.

You have to invest months before you're even on a path to being able to fight decently.

Want to PvP within 12 months and not hate the experience? Okay - go spend hundreds of RL money on an account.

Most of the gaming industry has moved away from the 1999 model of (lets keep them for as long as we can in one game) to mass producing highly stimulating, rapid pace, time-released, modular content.

The people complaining have expectations about games based on their experiences... but they fail to realize Wurm is an artifact from an almost dead gaming-mindset.

Would it be too pessimistic to say: I don't think there is a solution?

Either you anger the people who feel 'accomplished' from their 'time-investment' (who would rather not see new players than support an idea where new players have a less difficult / time-intensive experience than they)... or you watch as impatient thrill-seeking gamers abandon ship and go play some insta-game.

Increasing the timers doesn't make the game more fun or less grindy. It just reduces the time it takes between each grind.

PvP has half-implemented features. Some siege weapons (that can be built in game) have no purpose.

PvE and PvP are missing features.. The PvP community is split on different mechanics.

There's a long list of objects and features which were never even finished when other objects are being re-done.

The game mechanics are designed to force you into premium accounts.

It took 15 years to implement Sitting in the game. (thanks Warlander)

It's time for this community to admit it: we're all addicted to nostalgia -- and this next gaming generation is all about being insatiable.

Trying to mix the two is going to be like oil and water trying to mix on the same surface.

• Like 6

Although more enjoyable PVP (I know, some people like it) would add some players, mainly by bringing back old players who have wanted it for years,

WO will never be a game with a massive amount of players. The aspects of the game that make those that stay, stay, are the same aspects that make those that leave, leave. It's not a game for everyone, it's a game for a select few.

• Like 3

He can also shut down WO, that affects on the numbers as well.

I think the game is great as it is..some bug fixes and some clothing and finishing the stuff they started long ago will do just fine.

The sub has to be there so they can get something too.

Messing around with faster timers and skill gains will probably get a few people to play.. but also lose some of those who enjoy the game for what it is.. i personaly  feel good after i grind my ass off for a skill to get it to 80-90,its why i play this game for and what makes it unique.. getting all the skills to 90 or so faster will just make me quit faster.

Its been years since the game its been like this.. now since WU came out everyone is on lazy mode and crying mode..seriously now.. imagining this game having 10k people playing..will just destroy everything that's special for.. no more trusting comunity..no more market no more anything.

People will allways want more and more and more.. Rolf's job is to keep it in check and moderate updates. not just giving us everything we ask for..(i'm no parent but put it this way.. do you give your kid everything he ask for?)

Edited by Jonydowy
  • Like 3

Lets just pull from the most popular WU Steam Reviews as to whats wrong with wurm in general. 

Soo fix UI, make it more intuitive and update some graphics and bugs~

• Like 1

To seriously change the numbers, Rolf would have to step down from any desicion making, stick to coding, and hire someone who has an idea on how to run a business.

• Like 3

Looking at the WU reviews on Steam, seems like the major killer is the UI.  I think that's the best thing we can do and maintain the status quo for our hard-earned skills.  It's something where everyone (old, new, and those who haven't even started yet) can benefit.

As for a lack of end game...that's generally up to us.  End game is whatever you want it to be.

Though if I had to add some "end" game material, I'd like some things you'd need multiple skills on a single character to do.  Something more than having different kinds of people make the materials (like boats with sails, rope, and actual boat parts).  Something that requires multiple skills to attach or complete or imp.

I think that'd be cool to have and make those items really valuable since you might need 2, 3, or even 4 90+ skills to make high quality objects.

• Like 1

DONT WORRY GUISE I GOT YOU

surely my database course final presentation on WU will bring us the numbers we need

/sarcasm

Advertise.   I don't how much of a profit was made from Unlimited, but even just 100k can launch a half decent online add campaign if you target well enough.  
Just my 2 coppers with a complete lack of knowledge of what an advertising budget would look like.

On 12/2/2015, 5:01:45, Yaga said:

Repeating yourself over and over again will not really help. :angry: (I wonder how many more threads you'll spam with this idea...)

It is true, it will bring people back and you can't really deny that.

I know ~20 people personally who would resub that haven't logged in in many months if it happened.

On 12/2/2015, 5:01:45, Yaga said:

I know ~20 people personally who would resub that haven't logged in in many months if it happened.

1 hour ago, Propheteer said:

Odds are, the ~20 you know are likely the ~20 anyone will ever know. But lets just say it's 30 to be positive.  Will they stay?  I mean, there's surely that many people that will always "come back" for this or that change, such as the elevation map reset, and they did.  And they quit in weeks/month(s) as expected...  How can we trust the short term extremely minor boom vs the potentially long term major loss?  I mean it's proven time and time again the same exact people will always reprem for whatever reason and then quit when they get bored...  I'd rather not appease the few short term players and find a long term realistic solution that favors a much larger playerbase

• Like 2

Games die, merger with epic and chaos seems the most logical. While you may disagree if you play epic, pvp I think would be more enjoyable for the most part, now the tricky part would be the implementation, wipe chaos or keep it as is. Most people are playing WU, chances are they come back is so they can sell or give away items.

I also think freedom needs less servers. Remove exodus, cele or combine them some how.

• Like 3

I've thought it was obvious for quite some time..Marketing.

Albeit a vehicle of pure evil, Wurm Online hasn't been marketed properly, or at all.
A proper job costs alot of money but, they're pretty guaranteed returns.

I was told when i began, only 1 in ten players stay with the game.
if we got the word out there (and thanks to WU it may happen anyway)... then more would flock here.

I keep feeling maybe im being naive but i believe my logic is sound.
thank you

crappy PVP will stay crappy regardless how many servers you merge....

• Like 3