Sign in to follow this  
Eir

We've lost Oracle :(

This was very sad news to read.

My condolences to the family.

I'm grateful Oracle spent so much time with Wurm.  If the measure of a person is how people think of them after they die, Oracle must make a fairly respectable Colossus. :)

I remember being back on JK home, I was still quite new at the time, few months old maybe...I had met a lot of amazing people, FatherTime, Uzetaab, Wulfgar, Lex, Zerobyte and a whole slew of others (Several had just received their Cm positions). I've played a lot of games in my 20 years, but I'd never been on a game where the staff, paid or not was involved with every day players like me or even staff who played the game. It was so freakin' cool to me to see staff as players too!

Lex told me that the GM's and even Head GM Oracle were very involved with players and are players. I was further amazed as most games I had played had GM's...or so they claimed. You never saw or heard from even when reporting someone or something. Played Tibia since I was 19, I still have never seen a GM there. I was on a happy-playing-a-new-game-where-people-are- friendly-to-nublets high and a great deal of coffee with a dash of bipolar, I was immensely HYPER. And Lex told me while we were chatting jokingly that Oracle had tights and a cape and was like a superhero...Zero jokingly confirmed this...

Being the hyper idiot I was (and still have days) I pm'ed Oracle and that poor man had to deal with me for over 35 minutes. I wanted to know if he had boxers or briefs with his initial like Superman, did he dry clean his cape, was he friends with Santa or the Easter bunny...Did he know other super hero's also and ON AND ON I went.

Complete hyper idiot mode, worse, it wasn't the only time either.

When I heard about this thread, I instantly thought about that first pm convo and smiled. No matter how ridiculous I was with that poor man, he was patient, lol'ed a lot and even humored me by playing along a bit. I'm sure he had a hundred other things to do then listen to my foolishness, but he was gracious.

I remember another time I had recently returned to the game and while looking for a place to set up, I passed by his deed, he was on and welcomed me back. Asked if I needed anything and ending up offering to imp my armour for me.

Been avoiding this thread, didn't want to dwell on such a kind and gracious man leaving the world, not too many left.

My sincere condolences to his family and close friends. 

• Like 2

Sad news indeed.

If you have to go that is the way to do it here one minute gone the next.

See you on the otherside Oracle.

Man...

A lot to be said about Barakus/Oracle and a lot has already been said. I will always remember him first as the number one GM wurm to ever have. His unbiased, honest, honorable, fun loving, caring, nature made him hands down the best GM to bless this game. I couldn't imagine this game would have made it this far without Oracle at the helm for as long as he was. I had great time playing with him, living near him, and even being on the other end of the stick getting in trouble by him despite him being a neighbor. A lot of stories to be had of oracle between all of us. I think the addition of the fog spiders is one the greatest tributes to any person of any game and I imagine he will make another appearance in the game somewhere down the line. Whoever owns the Aegis of Earth, Oracle signature plate set, I hope you have taken it out to dust it off and wear it one time around in memory of him. He was a great guy. Catch you on the otherside sir.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I can't say I knew Oracle closely on any personal level, and now that opportunity is forever lost, but I want to say something.

Even without knowing him well, he was all the good things that have been said about him and more.

Oracle radiated a nigh-visible glow of wisdom and honor about him. 

Often I would read some input he had made on an issue, and would be a bit taken aback at how wise and even-keeled his assessments were.. and how they seemed to slip out of him in such succinct form and with such ease. 

I was truly astonished, and now regret that I never took the opportunity to tell him that I greatly admired his wisdom, even-temper, integrity, and all those other good things and inquire into how he became that way. 

I thought to myself, that if I was lucky, some of his greatness was the result of a long life thoughtfully lived and hoped I could be so blessed as to someday, with time, gain some of this golden "wisdom of age".  

I can't say I'm new on my path of life, nor hopefully too far along, and maybe I have just not "lived" enough.. but I have not very often come across people that have inspired me in this way.  And in Oracle's case, this is all without even knowing him well personally.

May we all carry a bit of "Oracle" along with us.

• Like 1

Perhaps the devs will make or rename a spell Oracle.  A finder of the lost would honor his memory.

I really like all the stories of his in-game life people are coming forward with I will always remember his fairness and patience as a GM.

Also someone mentioned his voice and that made me remember his humor as he said he had a 'face made for radio'.  That and him doing his  'Jesus act'  for us at Black Dog Isle = walking on water and disappearing in a pillar of light'. :) 

Good-Bye Oracle you will be sorely missed, both as a GM and an online friend. :(

Edited by Bachus