Sign in to follow this  
Eir

We've lost Oracle :(

Last night I sent Oracle an email to check in and see how he's doing. We've been friends since before we were staff back in the beta days when he was Barakus that lived with Queenie by Newtown. I received a reply a few hours later from his step son saying Oracle was mowing his lawn Nov. 7th, came in for a rest and passed away. His son was answering his emails and asked me to let people know. I told him I would, that his dad was loved by a lot of people. 

Someone suggested I make a post here so people could say their goodbyes like we did when another Wurmian passed. I wanted to put in the title, Oracle is dead. R.I.P.  I know he would love it and chuckle from heaven, but for those who didn't know him so well, they might think me insensitive so I thought I would save that for here. 

I met him in 2005 when I first started playing Wurm. I'd get an injury that was too big to heal, walk to Newtown, suicide and respawn, pick up my food and water and walk home. One day Barakus was there and he cast a heal on me. So from then on, when I walked to Newtown and sold my herbs I had gathered, I'd give him the coins, or Queenie, since I didn't have a village and didn't need money. 

Later on I became BL, but we still remained friends. After a while he became a GM, and I was the next GM after that, along with Inacron. Unforgiven came to me and said, "It's time", gave me my wand, bumped some skills and left. That's just the way it was back then, not a lot of hand holding. :) Oracle was my go to guy for that first learning part. We would go out on calls together and try to sort them out. As GM's we had sticks to work with compared to what's available now. 

We spent a lot of hours together, sometimes butted heads over a decision, but always worked things out. Whenever he was around I felt that things were not helter skelter, he was a man of great honor and honesty. I'm really going to miss him and am still in shock. He's the kind of person that isn't allowed to pass away. 

Farewell my brother, you will be sorely missed! 

• Like 50

I... cant even. Begin. :(

Eir expressed it far better than I. A guy perfectly willing to take the time and have the patience to help a raw newbie that jumped into Gold-1 Wild head first.

• Like 3

Farewell Oracle, we will all miss the words of wisdom. His name was so aptly picked. He was and will always be Wurm's Oracle.

:( a sad day for Wurmians.

• Like 4

I didn't know him but i've heard so much good things about him... So alot of kind things being said about him over the years and will continue on... This is sad to hear. RIP Oracle =\

• Like 1

I'm going to miss Oracle's fog spiders even more now. :(

• Like 4

Farewell to a genuinely nice guy and hardworking GM. His touch on the game as Head GM will be remembered by many and he will be missed by all that knew him.

My condolences to his family and friends.

• Like 2

Oh no! I lived next door to Oracle on Deliverance and he helped me out a lot :(

• Like 1

Never talked to him but sad to see a hardworking GM go. One can easily conclude that a person who hosted and brought the spirit of treasure hunts in the game must be a community spirited person and his community will miss him.

• Like 1

That's a real shame :( I was always too young as a player to really know him, but I know from others how instrumental he's been to the success of the game as an online world. R.I.P.

• Like 1

Farewell old friend. Thank you for helping me years ago. You will forever be remembered here in Wurm. 

• Like 1

Oh no that is so sad :(, thankful it was peacefully. Thanks for letting us know, I'm sure there's a lot of people who would like to share some memories. RIP Oracle.

Thank you again for all your work and help in Wurm, and for the assistance you have provided me when we have spoken and with GM calls.

A new colossus in his honour, I'm sure Rolf would be kind enough to No Decay it for his past work.

• Like 3

I petition the Dev Team and Rolf that if there is ever a new map/server created for Wurm Online - it be respectfully named "Oracle."

• Like 15

I had heard nothing but fantastic things about him and what he did for Wurm. He indeed will be missed greatly :(

RIP

• Like 2

It's been a while since I've spoken to Barakus, but he was the first real friend I made in Wurm, a few beta maps before gold. He was one of the kindest players I've met. Oracle is dead. R.I.P.

• Like 2

He'll be sorely missed, I remember him back in the alpha days as Barakus when he was with Mist, and him and Hawk seeing who could catch the biggest fish.

Always helpful, always ready to listen, always a friend.

• Like 2

Good night, sweet prince: and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

It is very sad to hear that Barakus/Oracle has died. he was one of the best.

He was always very helpful in our village. R.I.P. :(

A legend in this life and the next. 

Thx for sharing Eir, condolences to you and all Oracles family and friends.

• Like 1

how sad, thanks for sharing

goodbye Oracle, going to miss that thick fog!

condolences to his family

• Like 1

I am very sad to see this . I was wondering why I had not seen him recently  on my list. 

I was fortunate enough to get to know him just a little bit, a very kind and gentle man.