Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Plan for a Plan

1 hour ago, Sarcaticous said:

Mooring ropes that actually do something. Currently their only reason for existence is to make the game more difficult. They don't moor anything. You can't tie a boat up to anything. So, allow people to actually use a mooring rope to moor a ship to a dock. Either make them useful or get rid of them. Requiring things simply to make a game harder is one way to turn people off to the game. Give everything a purpose. 

People use mooring ropes on boats of all types and sizes, its part of a boat, items going into building something don't have to have an interaction purpose.  There is a ships wheel on the caravel, but you don't interact with that either.

To tie your boat up you have the mooring anchor which fills the required role quite nicely.

Edited by JakeRivers

Open up the rest of Chaos borders, connect them to different servers of the freedom cluster.

Edited by ElvenElder

2 hours ago, MrLolan said:

I like to see free looking around without clicked button on mouse.

Simple change but useful. :D

You can actually do that. only thing you need is to bind the mouse_look to a key.

Idk why people keep asking for something that was already implemented several months ago.

24 minutes ago, KunAlt said:

Idk why people keep asking for something that was already implemented several months ago.

When it happens it usually means that a product is poorly documented. I didn't know about this particular ability and I read all the patch notes etc.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2015, 4:21:30, Rolf said:

Hi Kilswitch, this is not a discussion thread about suggestions. I understand your point but that thread is already 24 pages long and this is for all other suggestions that may come up.

I'm glad you actually read and acknowledged that thread Rolf :wub:

GET THE ANIMALS OFF THE CLIFFS!?

Xanadu has so many animals that are unreachable just hanging out on cliffs, no animals should be able to climb such steep slopes...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ElvenElder said:

Open up the rest of Chaos borders, connect them to different servers of the freedom cluster.

8 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

People use mooring ropes on boats of all types and sizes, its part of a boat, items going into building something don't have to have an interaction purpose.  There is a ships wheel on the caravel, but you don't interact with that either.

To tie your boat up you have the mooring anchor which fills the required role quite nicely.

The wheel steers the boat. Just as the rudder steers the boat. They serve a purpose. The mooring rope is for...what...MOORING. Why not use it for MOORING instead of for nothing. Your argument is baseless. BTW the ANCHOR works to...what...ANCHOR the boat. It's not for tying up to a dock. That is what the MOORING rope does.

Edited by Sarcaticous

1 hour ago, Sarcaticous said:

The wheel steers the boat. Just as the rudder steers the boat. They serve a purpose. The mooring rope is for...what...MOORING. Why not use it for MOORING instead of for nothing. Your argument is baseless. BTW the ANCHOR works to...what...ANCHOR the boat. It's not for tying up to a dock. That is what the MOORING rope does.

My argument is no worse than yours.

If you can't build a boat due to lack of rope making skills, find someone who can make them for you, that is what I did when I started out building boats.

Building fences at up to 8 dirts water depth for lockable canals and harbours!

• Like 1

a way to release a tamed animal without having to tame another one please

43 minutes ago, Worksock said:

a way to release a tamed animal without having to tame another one please

You can untame through managements now.

I came to Wurm after two very long-time players in my guild told me everything they knew about Wurm and tons of stories, but for all their love they left because of little things, bad pvp, and lack of things to do after certain level.

Personally as much as i love Wurm i can see why people get frustrated, removing some of the frustrations would help, like moving metal altars http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/130381-move-metal-altars-within-the-title-they-were-created/#comment-1338847,

Fix the "chance" system, true actions a non-dependent variables, but failing 5 or 7 on 95% should be so exceptional as to be worthy of stories, not "ya, did that yesterday trying to make a X" (seems happen less often now, but do still fail stuff in clusters with 99% chance)

Stuff to build, more variation and utility, love the smelter and kiln, how about some new and varying vehicles and things to bring more community Stagecoach, chariot (for racing), more clothes with purpose (make winter cold, give newbies coats on winter spawn)

Adventure scenarios and tools.  inject some hidden temples to find or artifacts in Xanadu (that disappear when found and cannot be deeded) so people have reason to leave deed, the artifacts do not even have to do anything.  I go adventuring looking for source spring because i want to find one myself, do not need the source, but gives me something to do,

AND support adventuring with saddlebags, travel rations.

the valarei stuff does not count and for me never in the "south" so got tired of even trying to have anything to do with that, mostly just totally ridiculous stuff anyway...get 10,000 brass and make this useless object 10,000 miles above sea level facing west-east in the northwest (but maybe actually in south east) on a perfectly flat curve oh, it may not actually be a building, lol, no.   some hyperbole, but not actually too far off reality 

if you want to gain people from WU instead of losing people from WO... Simple solution.Differentiate WO from WU.

1. Make certain items ONLY available in WO vs WU. Dont even have the code IN WU for those items.

2. Make certain features ONLY available in WO vs WU. Example would of been not having bridges in WU. Since they are there already, I do NOT suggest removing them though.

Give players a reason for being on Wurm Online. Currently all Im starting to see are reasons to be on a WU server vs a WO server. If this pattern continues, things will end up the like mod Day Z(The Arma 2 Version). It had official servers, but when more and more people were able to make their own servers(and customize them), the official servers died off and closed down. Eventually so did the private servers.

Edited by Nicrolis
clarification
  • Like 2

I wrote extensive wurm improvement for newcomers guide looong time ago.

TLDR:

1. Region-based creatures, most dangerous hostiles should not spawn near spawn. The further a location from spawn is, the more chance of dangerous animals spawns.

2. Lock useless items under level barrier, less overwhelm new players with junks.

3. Color code enemies difficulty.

Also since I recently play ARK: Survival Evolved, the game could be example how it is MERCILESS and hard to start but still providing players a solid route for players to figure out what to do next.

Other suggestions:

Promote more of wurm, here and there. Make small merchandises to share, like 'share this post about wurm, get chance to get merchandises'. Go give merchandises and / or wurm online cd on places. Get to steam end year sale. Make more existence on social medias. Spend money on advertising. Approach youtubers (dont do like what you do to bashur tho). Offers hosting for wurm like what minecraft realms did if server space is available. Provide better premise of services in the main servers, most wurm unlimited players at the moment are players that disappointed with people on the main servers, whichever it is the common people, rulings, to staffs. At the moment I hear about wurm in nowhere else than rock paper shotgun... didn't ya got a distributor for WU? Why they don't promote? What are they paid for? Also for the community services, make a mentor system. New player join, can choose to be mentored. If one day later the new player purchase prem, mentor get some silvers for theirs effort, this can reduce the need of revamping the game for newcomers improvement but doesn't really fix.

• Like 2

First issue

While others might think of 'things' you can get in the game, I will argue that one of the most important thing to happen in wurm is to improve the whole customer support workflow/rules/mentality to suit the customer. Reasons:

1. Customer support is very slow (and on top of that it is online only - if you are not online no one will look at it)
  2. Rules offer no decision making freedoms to GMs
  3. Solutions given by the support team are most of the times the same solutions any player can give (sometimes for bugs too)
  4. Escalation of tickets is slow to nonexistent (partly they even refuse to do it)
  5. Rules do not protect the victim, rather the criminal (you need to prove who griefed you - which is hard to do in a game with very few logs generated - and even if you do, you are left to do the repairs by your own)
  6. As it stands, the in-game support system is not a customer support system, rather than a bug report system - customers get no actual support unless there is something wrong with the game (and not even then all the time, you need to prove it was actually the game)
  7. Decisions made by the GM team are to the benefit of the rules rather than the players (it is more important to uphold a rule even if you know it's wrong than helping the player even knowing it wasn't his fault)
  8. Use of forums to escalate conflicts is a very bad interpretation of 'escalation' - this should be done internally, not tax the poor player in need of support
  9. Customer satisfaction plays absolutely no role in customer support (silly isn't it?) - voicing the dissatisfaction about the decisions (or lack thereof) will only be met with shrugs

Overall the support system and the workflow associated with it is highly detrimental to a game wanting to get more customers and the quality of the support is just as high as the support you would be getting in a bureaucratic institution (which this is based on all the properties enumerated above) - which is none - no lenience towards the intentions of players, no understanding that mistakes can be made by players (GMs as well), no accountability for a player being mistreated by a gm, none that the player can see at least - overall the worst support system of any organization (game, company, foundation or otherwise) I have ever encountered (except governmental agencies, they are about the same in terms of helpfulness - that is none).

Same attitude goes for the improvement suggestions - if a player wants something, put it in the forums and pray to the lords of wurm that someone will hear you. Suggestions of improvement are not meant with questions like 'Will this benefit the players?' but more like 'How much work do I have to put into this?'

Second issue

Whilst thankful for all the functional (i.e. sitting, stairs etc.) and graphic (items released) updates, the core system issues remain all the same - no improvements in the fps (you need a very powerful machine to play at decent (50 fps) frames - the simplification of models only serves to offset the added items/graphical load), no improvements in the delay of operations (keywords: lag, stamina regen, chat lag), no improvements in system optimizations (i.e. creature distribution) and finally no detachment of the game from the forums (rules of the game are not even in the game, suggestions for improvement in the game require out-of-game access, escalation of conflicts on forum PMs etc - the forums are part of the game and not something supplemental)

I understand the difficulty in solving some of these issues, but committing to them, or even acknowledging the difficulties the team has with them gets you one step closer to being able to solving them

Edited by Thorakkanath
  • Like 1

Just to remind you thorakkanath, we do have feedback@wurmonline.com for situations such as those you mention.

We are aiming at improving staff support, It's not something that will happen overnight unfortunately though.

If you do have concerns about staff you can always contact the appropriate head (Enki for GM's, shrimpiie for CM's, myself for CA's)

On 12/2/2015, 6:04:56, Nappy said:

For WO to become more appealing again it needs a few basics sorted out. I will try to list items that could each be undertaken on their own.

1) Reduce action timers and increase the rate at which skill is gained. Many people in Wurm are creative and based on oberservations in WU they would rather have fun creating then grinding endlessly

2) Introduce more visual content into the game. Fastest way to do this is likely to incorporate the Modloader systems into WO and start using the WU's popular visual content mods, creature mod is one that instantly comes to mind

3) Reduce the number of servers in WO to get more of the population into one place. Xanadu should be one of the actively considered servers. Instead of forcing people to move, allow existing deeds to remain but allow new deeds only on the primary PVE server. With time this will encourage a busy server with a lively community. If it gets too full gradually reopen the other servers to immigration (hopefully they will have gone very wild by then). Old servers remain available for hunting and exploring. 

4) This goes with number 3. Reduce how useful mailboxes are. Once people are closer together again, give them a reason to get out and about by making merchants important again

5) With most new art and improvements coming from MOD community in WU refocus your development team on core game concepts. One critical area that comes to mind for me is making the game more fun for new players and way more engaging for higher level players. Once you reach a certain skill level now the game is generally too easy, leaving the grind as the key reason to keep playing unless you have a good community around you that you enjoy being part of

6) Apply common sense and transparency to the rules. Someone goes across a server to get material that is available right next to their deed gets a warning first time, banned second offence. Let them explain why they had to go out of their way to get something available to them right where they are. Hiding what's going on also makes people way less likely to belief that anyone even cares about whatever problem they are experiencing

7) Improve vehicle speeds and make sailing more interesting. Whales are actually my favourite creature in Wurm because whoever did that artwork was amazing! Most other things aren't worth watching after the first time. How about having to sail through a squall or experience wavy waters in a gale. Real life sailing is light years beyond what it is in Wurm.

8) Introduce more community events similar to what Spellcast has been doing with Treasure hunts. Give a community a reason to come together. Have a mob invasion in part of a server and ask everyone on the server to help engage and defend their island. Reward those who do.

9) Make content available everywhere. HOTA and treasure chests on Freedom too. Let people mine ada and glimmer

10) Change the cost model. Many things in WO seem to be based around maximizing the number of premiums one person needs to do things effectively. In WU my character is a priest who can cast all spells and do all the other regular things too like build houses, improve stuff etc. Everyone else on the server is doing the same thing and they seem to be having a great time using only one character to do it. 

11) Become more responsive to the community. Suggestions are made in the suggestions area and seldom responded to by anyone other then players. In WU a suggestion can be made to a modder and be implemented same day. Even if WO just acknowledged receiving suggestions and perhaps published a kanban board showing their prioritization/ranking that would go a long way

~Nappy

Yes Please.  

page 15, i hope theyre still reading lol

so no big changes? how to increase population without big changes? lets see

what about reverting all those nerfs that have been creeping into the game over the years.

they all felt like bandages on someone who needed surgery. but since surgery is out of the question

just go back to your roots. make the game what it was that people played even if everyone was green

and standing on horses. Thats what people are doing with WU, removing nerfs, among other things.

shield damage taken

enchanted grass getting packed

enchanted trees can be cut now

armor debuff - archery penalty

armor debuff - priest penalty

rare drumroll % and drumroll to end of action - people still farm rares and the drumroll and twirly thingy dont make sense after the action

tame animal nerf - pets are too wimpy

hell horse nerf 

food decay nerf - i wanna play not eat more in game than i do in real life

mail system still not finished

animal ratio nerf

champion size nerf

shieldbash gain nerf

shield bash success on fat check nerf

dodging success on fat check nerf - i think this got reverted or just tweaked down

nutrition fat block evade nerf - recent - i think this got reverted or just tweaked down

bred animal fight skill gain nerf

bred animal archery gain nerf

arrow shaft skill gain nerf

archery damage rng nerf

spell rng nerf

carving knife damage on use nerf

saw damage on use nerf

farming nerf

lighting nerf - lights are next to useless now. outside and inside caves. yes they light a bit but it used to be 100x better

wood graphics nerf - i miss my cherrywood knarr, oh wait its still there but looks like craphogany

coal pile nerf - why force me go in a cave to do piles

priest body and mind gain nerf

bladed tool cut grass nerf - now i need a specific tool 

meditation nerf - well various nerfs really, you know what they are

armor types nerf

animal lifespan - especially horses- nerf

tower guards speed and overall fs nerf

unfinished item mail nerf

catapult nerf

ore, rock and dirt decay nerf

animal flee ai nerf

gift wrapping nerf

reed pen for taming nerf

undocumented nerf to traders (i dont own a trader)

:ph34r: ninja nerfs :P

lights why is everything so dark with a 90+ql lantern with no decay

oh my god, lantern decay, food and lantern decay in inventory should not happen

deed decay, oops i think you tweaked deed decay

recently, but like everything else, we will need to see if it still works.

also, hmm, finish what you start? years without finishing some models is really inexcusable. character items that

should be put in character window like pauldrons etc, Missing in action. floors that look like people are wading

thru a flooded house with water ( in this case floors ) almost up to their knees, for more than 2 years. people

get tired of the unprofessional ism, when they pay top price for this game, and new people come in and see this

and laugh when asked to pay for an unfinished product.

also the memory leak is still there by the way. may be difficult to fix but its a priority. people RUN AWAY FAST from that.

and probably need to hire ( bad word, i know ) someone to give support to players in the maintenance section.

why do players need to be first responders for technical issues with your product? Just having some one note it and make a report

bug is fine, but then in most cases you never hear about it again. for all i know that report is under a rug somewhere.

I know its not under a rug, but its the feeling people get from your bug reporting methodology right now. theres

a thing devs use called roadmaps, and you probably should share those with the playerbase so they feel more

enthusiastic about whats to come. because these posts you make 2 or 3 times a year asking for suggestions

are really starting to look like more of the same to me. and last time i dont remember you were even there and

if you where you left early and some other dev took over and you left or something, so im not even gonna tune in

this year.

make wurm what it used to be and better, not by nerfing but by giving options.

when everyone was green and standing in horses you had a higher population, that should tell you

something. 

wurm can still be awesome im sure of that. never give up never surrender, good luck with your future decisions.

Edited by Griffith
  • Like 5

You want to curb the bleeding? Instead of asking us what to do, answer this question: Why should I play Wurm Online?

I ask that because I got bored and poked my head into Wurm Unlimited. Interestingly I found two servers with close to or over 100 players. I popped into Mythmoor to have a look. The timers and skillgain feel better and not artificially long. I was surprised because I thought the fast action timers would cheapen the experience. This isn't the case. It feels more natural. I don't feel the need to play multiple toons. I like this. 

The biggest surprise was they have their own shop setup. So for $5 I can get 10 silver. I can also buy a few quality of life things for the PVE experience. This shop calls into question the entire existence of WO.

Rolf, you created a scenario where you are competing with your clone. The biggest fear of WU was the argument of "the server could disappear at any time, so I don't trust it enough to play." If the clone is running like a business, like your business (official servers), I have much more confidence in the server not up and disappearing. This clone also has a population on par with your product but with a much lower barrier of entry. Silver is much cheaper, meaning deeding and upkeep is much cheaper. On top of that, there is no subscription to pay and maintain. Then add the faster action timers and skillgain without being ridiculous. It is the same game mechanics with very common issues answered.

Instead of asking us what you should do, you should tell us why we should pay you instead of the clone you created? I am a long time WO player, but right now WU is the much better game. You sabotaged yourself. WO is going to need radical changes to make it stand out against WU. Or, open your own WU "official" servers and just let the WO servers slowly die. It feels lose/lose.

• Like 5

Some awesome ideas in here! 

Besides for a solution to the existing poor sailing conditions, I have a small request.... diagonal walls please! 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Revnik said:

You want to curb the bleeding? Instead of asking us what to do, answer this question: Why should I play Wurm Online?

I ask that because I got bored and poked my head into Wurm Unlimited. Interestingly I found two servers with close to or over 100 players. I popped into Mythmoor to have a look. The timers and skillgain feel better and not artificially long. I was surprised because I thought the fast action timers would cheapen the experience. This isn't the case. It feels more natural. I don't feel the need to play multiple toons. I like this. 

The biggest surprise was they have their own shop setup. So for $5 I can get 10 silver. I can also buy a few quality of life things for the PVE experience. This shop calls into question the entire existence of WO.

Rolf, you created a scenario where you are competing with your clone. The biggest fear of WU was the argument of "the server could disappear at any time, so I don't trust it enough to play." If the clone is running like a business, like your business (official servers), I have much more confidence in the server not up and disappearing. This clone also has a population on par with your product but with a much lower barrier of entry. Silver is much cheaper, meaning deeding and upkeep is much cheaper. On top of that, there is no subscription to pay and maintain. Then add the faster action timers and skillgain without being ridiculous. It is the same game mechanics with very common issues answered.

Instead of asking us what you should do, you should tell us why we should pay you instead of the clone you created? I am a long time WO player, but right now WU is the much better game. You sabotaged yourself. WO is going to need radical changes to make it stand out against WU. Or, open your own WU "official" servers and just let the WO servers slowly die. It feels lose/lose.

This is another person who see's it and there have been a few of us posting the same thing.

In the end Rolf you need to ask your self who's income an carrier  is more important your's or the people who use your Game to make RL profits. Most mmo's are FTP with micro transaction's now days and they make more than ever cause a player normally will spend more in a month in great cosmetic micro transactions than they do on a sub.

I've stated before your game peaked at it's player base of players who where into the RWMT system and of those who would endure it cause they enjoyed WO cause it was the only place they could play WO. Then here comes WU you can run a private server you can if you desire kill the RWMT system allow people to play for free and make your own micro transaction system. Cheaper than WO.  Now that your player base are falling do to the other percent who would endure the RWMT to play WO the next to come is obvious the people who use your Game to make RL profits will start to trickle off cause now there is no one coming in who will buy there stuff so now they will eventually leave to find another source to drain.

If you look at it the right way and those who are against a micro transaction cosmetic shop would see it is retarded to think it is a bad idea cause I'm going to show you that WO has had the micro transaction shop for years but it was mainly for the player base not the guy who actually owned the game.

A micro transaction in a game is = A item of no real world value that has a RW price that people purchase. In your game that is almost ever object ("every log,plank,armor,weapon,cart, etc....") but you don't see a dime the player base does all these micro transactions of players buying items is not your profit even tho your team made them. Your income has been souly on a sub and the micro transaction of silver and a few items you made that are not cosmetic but are items that give a advantage. 

Now yes one person can't corner the market on this setup of micro transactions cause any player can do it and there is tons of players doing it to try to earn silver to pay upkeep and sub's. So in reality you made a game where players can make money and pay you to play the game for free which you earn no income from these players. The only income you see is that of those who are buying micro transaction silver from you and paying for there sub's. A lot of silver bought from you goes to  players who use this to play for free.

Hope you can see the nasty pattern Rolf. An for people against you having cosmetic micro transactions to increase your income after you have let them use your already extensive market of items for there own personal micro transaction business you need to tell them where to shove it cause they are bad for your business. You need to focus some of your development into new cosmetic micro transaction system only get able on the Wurm store to make WO different from WU. You done sold WU out of the box from the start with no DLC so if you start now it will hurt your image. You done told and promoted the WU would get every update WO gets not at same time but very shortly after. I see some ways for you to salvage and rem I'm not looking at this from my wallet but from your future income. Start your new system in cosmetic micro transactions. When the business takes off start to lower your Silver cost and sub cost. For right now you need to give the customer a reason to pay you 8 euros a month for a sub and I would say giving them a 25x25 deed as part of the sub is a good start. Cause you know as well as I do no one is going to take as mentioned before arguing my idea a 5x5 with limits all over it when they can pay basically 3 months of a WO sub for the purchase of a WU and have no restrictions and make as huge of a deed they want and can even turn it into a profit for there self.

As of right now you are under cut in the micro transactions you have cause players are selling silver cheaper than you. So don't make the mistake of allowing new cosmetic micro transactions be trade able or purchasable with silver. Player lock them. This is the best option I see for you Rolf to salvage WO and make it different from WU and a viable way to make customers want WO over WU cause the micro transaction cosmetics can be a WO only thing. This don't stop WU modders from doing there own Micro transaction cosmetic stuff but for right now I don't see them confident enough to even attempt a business model like this. If I personally wasn't busy doing my own thing, this is what I would do in WU right now cause I am confident enough to do this.  You should make a new cash called Wurmcash and this people can purchase online and use it to by any cosmetic there hearts desire you offer. Wurmcash can not be used for any thing other than the purchase of cosmetic's.

6 minutes ago, Corraxx said:

Some awesome ideas in here! 

Besides for a solution to the existing poor sailing conditions, I have a small request.... diagonal walls please! 

Diagonal walls should be implemented together with round walls imo.

To plan round or diagonal walls, you can revamp the planning system as such:

You select a start point on a Tile corner.

You select a mid point on a Tile corner.

You select a end point on a Tile corner.

Now you have everything you need for a Quadratic Bezier Curve, to make it diagonal, just place mid point in line between the start and end point.

You can play with possible curves here:
http://blogs.sitepointstatic.com/examples/tech/svg-curves/quadratic-curve.html

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

My argument is no worse than yours.

If you can't build a boat due to lack of rope making skills, find someone who can make them for you, that is what I did when I started out building boats.

No one said anything about building a boat. Why can't you understand what is being said? Use the mooring rope to tie a ship up to a dock. What is your problem?

At the GDC it is spoken many times and it is : A game is meant to be one thing only!!!!! <("FUN")> So when you play your own game what don't you find fun about it? How can you change it to make it fun? Once you changed it play it again and ask your self are you having fun now? This is how you should develop a game.