Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Plan for a Plan

Audrel reads my thoughts. Or vice versa.

Free starter deed and more shiny things. Cats and capes!

The only problem is there them small limits again. Small free starter deed can't do this can't do that. Only 5x5 for 30 days then pay at regular cost of game. Umm. how the heck is this going to make some one who can make a deed the size of the entire map with no restrictions want to come play WO and pay?

Not bad idea It has been one of mine for years in the forums to Rolf long before WU came to light. But the size and restrictions you all put on it is insane and will never temp a player.

It will need to be least 25x25, no restrictions works like every other deed. Monthly upkeep going to have to be cut in half at least. Online Silver will have to be slashed in half or a new in game money system not built on RWMT created so them players can choose to pay out of personal pocket or earn it in game and use the new currency system.

The problem is this would have worked to get new players to WO before WU the pay once came out. You have to sugar coat WO now cause WU just out weighs in benefits. If Rolf was to stop all ties and not release any more content to WU the moding community will be ticked off for going back on his word about updates coming to WU, not to mention stunting any future sales of WU. It want bother them to much cause if they add something it don't stop us from  logging in WO seeing what was added and adding it our self in a mod not to mention we will be adding tons of stuff WO will never see. You think a moder will give Rolf rights to use a mod in WO if he goes back on his word? Lol I think not.

Sugar coating a sub is the only way to get people to play wurm at this point or going FTP and start work on a micro transaction system like other mmo's where new furniture models are made that can only be got by paying for them in WO or new fancy armors etc.... but then all that has to be balanced in WO to not give advantages just cosmetic so it don't throw off the game by giving advantages other than having a fancier looking pad.

Almost every post in here including most of my first post I made before fully reading what Rolf was asking get a F for effort.

If possible, please add an Activate option for an entire pile of items / resources that is in your inventory. It can just use the items in the way they're sorted but it will help making paving less of a chore.

Another thing I woud highly appreciate is an option to 'remember' the way inventories like the backpack are sorted, it seems to reset everytime I close the window.

How about "level" function on the rock tiles (similar to those, leveling dirt, or floors in the caves), just maybe with a greater timer, depending on the mining skill, or in general, longer than dirt leveling actions (f.e. 2 times longer)

• Like 2

Lower the price of premium would surely get people back. And/or allow for merging several accounts into one account with several characters. 

• Like 5

Would it be possible to reduce timers on the supreme and fantastic tools per action. As it seems there is a lowest possible timer for tools atm.

How about an indoor ramp (that's built like a staircase) that a large cart can go up and down? Would allow for us to build some nice multilevel warehouse storage systems :)

• Like 1

We make wall of text with plenty ideas and Rold didn't even comment on this.

• Like 1

Make it so that you can place a deed over a decaying house if its past a certain amount of damage or something? I have found so many nice places to settle but cant because of a house thats there decaying that you can obviously tell no ones coming back for.

• Like 1

MAKE WURM ONLINE ROUND. Wurm should be round the way the islands are positioned. It takes to long having to travel through deli to then go to xanadu then pristine and so fourth. Position the servers in a circle maybe revolving around xanadu. I think this would even stimulate the pvp server since people can travel to and from faster and make shortcuts.

> Fix Valrei

> consider adding some meaning to some of the messages during sermons (perhaps connected to upcoming events, locations of mission items, etc.)

> fix archery - options other than standard "shoot" option need to be made viable, armor nerf should be removed, and shortbows need to be fixed (they have terrible accuracy in addition to doing less damage than longbows), also medium bows should be given some use

> balance AoSP vs. web armor - the former gives small wounds that can be healed mid combat, the latter decreases your movement AND swing speed for a fairly long duration (this further imbalances plate vs. drake/scale)

56 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

We make wall of text with plenty ideas and Rold didn't even comment on this.

We'll present and discuss this in IRC next Tuesday, the 8th at 17.00 hrs CET (8 am PST) (join irc.rizon.net, channel #wurm). We'll provide a summary of the plans in the news afterwards and a transcript of the chat session should end up here as well eventually.

I figure you will hear it then right now he is just getting input no need to respond sooner than he posted

• Like 2

More cloth clothing option to individualize your character would be awesome!  Some masculine and feminine options would be great too.  Profession type clothing like aprons for smelters or cooks, woodcutter outfit or a mining outfit.  Something to help personalize the game.  

• Like 2

Rolf, your team should be gathering all the suggestions and ideas that have been given over the last few years, then presenting the most popular ones back to us in polls, so we can vote on the best ones.  The way they get listed in these long LONG threads will always have the first pages getting more votes and trailing pages looking like nobody likes the ideas.  I personally got through page 1 and then skipped to the end to post this.  You probably won't even read this post, because it is so far down the list.

There are a ton of well though out suggestions.  You and your team have actually been doing a pretty decent job of adding quite a few into the game already.  Sitting and new stairs options are pretty slick.  If you are looking for drastic changes to win people back that just aren't covered in suggestions, you need to look no further than WU.  Why is WU successful?  If you can answer that one, you have most of what you need to know to make WO more successful.

Here are some things I think are huge factors to WU success:

1. Steam - much bigger audience.

2. Buy once, play forever.  I am tired of endless subscriptions.  Other MMOs make it work (guildwars, etc), so it can be done.

3. Mods.

4. Faster results & less requirement to stay online for such long periods at a time.  If you buy into point #2, you DON'T want all your players staying online 16hrs a day.  You want them to log in, do some fun things and get back off.  Do you want to hear people saying "Wurm is ruining my life and career"?  Probably not.  Make it something people can get on and have a great time, in short periods of time.

5. New creative maps.

6. Less worry for PvE players.

These are probably the top reasons for WU success.

• Like 3

The economic play in Wurm is important to many players. For me, the economic side is probably one third of the game, along with a third to terraforming/building, and a third to the social aspects. Currently, the game economy is in the tank. In terms of reality, it's in a major recession if not worse (depression). Being able to sell things for a reasonable price in game, is it's own "rewards system", for me anyway. Over the years, many things have been done to curtail the economy from dropping (e.g. repeatedly nerfing enchanting), but now it seems as tho all those cards may have been played. I believe the in-game economy needs to be fixed somehow, to retain/regain some of your player-base. IMO, this drop in the game economy has a trickle down effect towards the social aspect of the game. Less folks buying/selling makes for less want or need for social play. You can fancy up the game all you like, it's just putting lipstick on a pig. If the economy and social aspects are lacking, it's likely time to move on for some, after they've built their dream home. I will say the terraforming and building aspects are awesome and it's what hooked me on Wurm originally. After some time, players need more than that. That's when they dabble in the social and economic sides of the game more. If those ain't here, they ain't here.

• Like 3

new metal armors, not using dragon leather - maybe as good as plate but extremely hard to craft a tad more lightweight (splint,chitin)

shoulders, give a use to dragon skulls they would be perfect for this (split them in half so you can create a set for shoulders)

capes, use a new type of fur from a new animal/miniboss that anyone can kill fairly difficult, a bandersnatch or grendle type of a monster if you want stick with fantasy theme.

better boats, (just stuff that's been suggested before let us craft upgrades to make them faster or just remove wind from the game)

• Like 1

Please, add new fine dining tables (a smaller and a larger one) which could be used with fine chairs or fine high chairs.

On 01/12/2015, 08:57:16, Odynn said:

advertising to get a new influx of player.

I keep saying this, in game and out.
We.. sorry.. you haven't really marketed wurm online.
I'm sure you have fantastic reasons but that's the fix.

Just now, Steveleeb said:

I keep saying this, in game and out.
We.. sorry.. you haven't really marketed wurm online.
I'm sure you have fantastic reasons but that's the fix.

Although I'd love just as much as the next person to see Wurm get more coverage and attention, my guestimate is that in the case of this game and in it's current state, marketing (which is mega mega super duper expensive) would be a lost cause. Reason being that those who "get" wurm are a niche.

We are gamers. > We are MMO players. > We are Sandbox MMO players. > We are Wurm players. 

Even going down the hiearchy all the way down to our "mother category" of sandbox players, Wurm does not appeal to even most of those. 

Thus, marketing campaigns are a bit of a waste because what you're basically paying for is exposure to the 99% of people out there who would never become monetizing customers of Wurm anyhow. Some might stay, some might even go premium, but most will merely dabble and leave. And yes, whilst a select few will end up staying in the game and monetizing, they will never cover the costs of the marketing that got them there in the first place. 

So I must wonder if the money would be better spent investing in the game itself. Making it solid and polished. Making the first player experience blow your mind. Representing the game in an attractive approachable way.

Make a good game and the people will come and they will stay. In fact the people will market the game on your behalf through social media. 

Just my 2 cents from watching dozens of marketing campaigns fail and money lost in various projects I've been in.

• Like 4

Doing a quick search 'Wurm Online Review' the are the results I came up with are semi old review from a year or more ago and only a few more recently review talking about Wurm Unlimited.

One of the things mentioned is most of the reviews, by players and the website writers, is the steep learning curve when first starting out. Something that many of us have dealt with when starting on our own in Wurm.  If not for joining a village ( most recommended option ) to giving the link to the Wiki ( second most popular recommendation ) to outright telling someone step by step how to do something as simple as activating a tool.

What I'd like to see is a Mentoring System.

My idea on this is that when a new player starts, they are able to be mentored by someone ( Premium ) character that allows the new player to draw on the skills of the Mentor while within a certain range. Much how linking allows characters to share favor.  This would allow the Mentor and student to share skills between them

** some thought on how to prevent exploiting this is left up to those better suited for that**

This would allow the new player a chance to learn how to live on their own, hone their skills and get a real taste of wht Wurm is like.

Old players would have a new purpose to stick around, re-premium their account as well as invite new friends to play.

4 hours ago, Torgrim said:

Lower the price of premium would surely get people back. And/or allow for merging several accounts into one account with several characters. 

Yes this - and/or reduce upkeep costs.  When people are given the choice of playing the game for free (after the initial WU $30 investment) or paying for it... especially when people have multiple toons/deeds, most frugal people are going to choose the first option.  I did.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Arkonick said:

The only problem is there them small limits again. Small free starter deed can't do this can't do that. Only 5x5 for 30 days then pay at regular cost of game. Umm. how the heck is this going to make some one who can make a deed the size of the entire map with no restrictions want to come play WO and pay?

Not bad idea It has been one of mine for years in the forums to Rolf long before WU came to light. But the size and restrictions you all put on it is insane and will never temp a player.

It will need to be least 25x25, no restrictions works like every other deed. Monthly upkeep going to have to be cut in half at least. Online Silver will have to be slashed in half or a new in game money system not built on RWMT created so them players can choose to pay out of personal pocket or earn it in game and use the new currency system.

The problem is this would have worked to get new players to WO before WU the pay once came out. You have to sugar coat WO now cause WU just out weighs in benefits. If Rolf was to stop all ties and not release any more content to WU the moding community will be ticked off for going back on his word about updates coming to WU, not to mention stunting any future sales of WU. It want bother them to much cause if they add something it don't stop us from  logging in WO seeing what was added and adding it our self in a mod not to mention we will be adding tons of stuff WO will never see. You think a moder will give Rolf rights to use a mod in WO if he goes back on his word? Lol I think not.

Sugar coating a sub is the only way to get people to play wurm at this point or going FTP and start work on a micro transaction system like other mmo's where new furniture models are made that can only be got by paying for them in WO or new fancy armors etc.... but then all that has to be balanced in WO to not give advantages just cosmetic so it don't throw off the game by giving advantages other than having a fancier looking pad.

Almost every post in here including most of my first post I made before fully reading what Rolf was asking get a F for effort.

He still has to make money. The servers don't run themselves for free. He has to pay hosting. He has to pay for bandwidth. If you give out max sized deeds for free, he might as well shut down WO entirely and full on develop WU with paid DLC instead of updates shared between them. There has to be incentive to buy bigger deeds and spend the silvers needed to maintain them. The best incentive is restrictions and the removal of them by paying for better. Also, I didn't say 5x5 for 30 days. I said 5x5 (11x11) for as long as you have premium and if you want bigger, you gotta buy a village. If you lose premium, you lose the homestead. It encourages keeping paying premium. It encourages paying for better. And it sure in hell beats a tent that rots in a couple weeks.

The F for effort is trying to turn this into a charity, Arkonick, and even suggesting a microtransaction free to play model. If you want this game dead a stump, that's the perfect way to do it.

• Like 1

Either allow current boats to hold various amounts of animals, or design a new boat specifically for transporting animals.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Audrel said:

He still has to make money. The servers don't run themselves for free. He has to pay hosting. He has to pay for bandwidth. If you give out max sized deeds for free, he might as well shut down WO entirely and full on develop WU with paid DLC instead of updates shared between them. There has to be incentive to buy bigger deeds and spend the silvers needed to maintain them. The best incentive is restrictions and the removal of them by paying for better. Also, I didn't say 5x5 for 30 days. I said 5x5 (11x11) for as long as you have premium and if you want bigger, you gotta buy a village. If you lose premium, you lose the homestead. It encourages keeping paying premium. It encourages paying for better. And it sure in hell beats a tent that rots in a couple weeks.

The F for effort is trying to turn this into a charity, Arkonick, and even suggesting a microtransaction free to play model. If you want this game dead a stump, that's the perfect way to do it.

Ok how then does he do it? He released a copy of wurm allowed servers to be run by others. Then he told the population WU will get updated with WO. So now if he rigs on his word he will upset people who bought WU on these conditions now a portion of them would ask for refunds while others never trusting him or his word or spread the word of wurm to others. 

Every thing mentioned almost in this entire thread has been wants people wanted in WO not how to get people to not play a free version of WO and come pay to play where it will cost them every single month. WU servers have lots of social. I've personally joined a few just to chat with WU players and there loving it. When I ask the holy grail Question "Why do you prefer WU over WO?" I get the same answer, No monthly upkeep or deed payments and all silver they want. How does WO now compete with that. Cause I will tell you you put the exact same products on a shelf one marked 29.99 the other marked never ending sub of 100+ a year + land purchase + land upkeep I bet 95% of the people will buy the 29.99 and the 5% who chose to pay that much thought they was getting a better product.

This is like the bread industry I once Worked for the Great known Sara Lee and what customers never knew was the cheap store brand for .79 cents was the same bread people where paying 2.79 for called SunBeam bread.

This example is how I explain the 5% who will continue to pay monthly. They think they are getting a better product. The other 95% will buy into the cheaper product. The thing is both products here are the same and will always be the same other than one is a 1 time fee and the other is a revolving never ending fee.

So to get people to pay for something they get for free you really need to sugar coat it. 11x11 deed that's a slap in the face. 25x25 is more like asking please rather than slapping one in the face. As far as money Rolf has yet to tap into the micro transaction model. I can assure you if Rolf was to have art team turn out a ton of armor fashions and implement a skin window and furniture and some cart's/ wagon's and few other things that where cosmetic only or had some small functions based on the type of item he would make a killing off people buying to decorate there pads. All this stuff could be store bought only and all profits go to CC. Now this would make WO stand out cause WU want have a system like this and he wouldn't have to add it to WU. 

Right now as far as patches new content they are going to both. Reason I say Micro Cosmetic transactions is because WO in in a corner now. 1 time fee or life time of payments. When EQ brought out housing and station bought furniture. Sure you could make in game furniture and stuff but nothing looked sweeter than the micro transaction stuff to decorate with. I have spend hundreds over the years I played EQ, EQ2, PS2,DCUO, and few other games out there. Micro Transaction Items like this is big in the mmo industry and it works very well. And if you let them decay like other items wow they will eventually rot and if someone neglects to keep eye on there item well they are buying it again. Sure you let them be repairable but you don't exclude them from the dmg system. Plus items like this are great stocking stuffer's during Christmas. This Topic is pritty much dead on ideas so I will be in the Wurm channel Tuesday to see what Rolf has sifted threw and come up with.

15 minutes ago, Romadador said:

Either allow current boats to hold various amounts of animals, or design a new boat specifically for transporting animals.

Hmm I do like the sound of a new boat for that. Perhaps with some restrictions to make it a rare and valued commodity? Maybe a wider flatter model to accomodate animal stalls and crates, and slow moving to keep steady and not distress the animals. Perhaps it could require a higher amount of ship building. This way people who can't yet make the boat, could hire people who could to transport animals for them. Much like they hire people to enchant grass. 

• Like 2