Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Plan for a Plan

4 minutes ago, Kegan said:

I was asking myself how would you make the most impact on the game visually because a lot of people complained about the graphics and my answer was to start with the trees so i think an overhaul on the trees would be a good start on improving the games looks.  The older trees are dated and need an overhaul and some of the new ones need more fullness/leaves their canopy is lacking a lot. 

I have to agree - grasslands and forests are large part of the game, and - while grasslands on hilly terrain are really beautiful in Wurm - trees and everything related to them is not. Water could get some love as well, it stopped in +/- 2006 standards. :)

• Like 5

most likely suggested already but

change level and flatten away from 5 seconds per 1 dirt to actual digging timer

ability to lower/mute individual tool sounds(saw anyone?)

erosion of old area's (look at deli and its billion abandoned flat places of old deeds) something like after 9-10 months of not having any single structure/deed in an 100x100 area that area reverts back to its default state(or slopes that are above 25 slowly even out to 25 if they have been touched before(something like keeping track of from moment of implementation)

and last but not least wall building in caves proper walls so that one can build rooms that feel like home in a cave for those who like living in caves(quite a few people do)

Quick question:

I see sailing speeds mentioned often, what kind of boosts are we looking at? Increases to minimum speed, maximum speed, or both?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SmeJack said:

Why would someone with 100 skill need a 10% bonus for skill gain :huh:

I understand that it's not for gain but for efficiency. For example you have 100% Locksmithing and now gain 10%, so you get more HQ locks then normal. Or minimal quality of locks is increased.

10 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Quick question:

I see sailing speeds mentioned often, what kind of boosts are we looking at? Increases to minimum speed, maximum speed, or both?

I'd say both but without,  and I reiterate without adding extra speed for rarity. Bonus of requiring less passengers is sufficient there especially on pvp servers 

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Quick question:

I mentioned specificly what to fix...

pff, posting in this thread seems to be a waste of time.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SmeJack said:

Why would someone with 100 skill need a 10% bonus for skill gain :huh:

Did I say just skill gain? :o:o nope 

imp success chance? more skill? more ql per imp?

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Quick question:

I think the low should be like 15 into the wind and max be left alone i guess but max speeds do not matter to me as much the bad part of sailing is going against the wind speeds.  Also while you are there take out the passenger bonuses that effect speed completely and add in a rare/supreme speed bonus on top of the basic speeds. 

Edit: We also need a better way to stop boats using the S key it needs to stop it completely no matter how much wind there is and having it back up once it gets stopped would be helpful too. 

Edited by Kegan

52 minutes ago, Kegan said:

I think the low should be like 15 into the wind and max be left alone i guess but max speeds do not matter to me as much the bad part of sailing is going against the wind speeds.  Also while you are there take out the passenger bonuses that effect speed completely and add in a rare/supreme speed bonus on top of the basic speeds. 

Edit: We also need a better way to stop boats using the S key it needs to stop it completely no matter how much wind there is and having it back up once it gets stopped would be helpful too. 

Actual sail controls that would raise or lower sails.

• Like 1

You want my input sit back and get ready to rip your hair out. One thing moders have not been able to do yet besides me so far and thats add new models in the game. Thing is I could go balistically nuts doing this right now but thing is I have my own projects I'm working on.

Here is what you need to do regardless of most people who will think I'm full of it.

You need to add in a ton of new wall types so let me expand. WO is blah when it comes to construction you have 3 wall types wood, stone, stucco. And thats it. You need to redo your old walls and add in my idea I'm moding for my own personal server. once I figure out your wall code fully. I've done it with old walls just haven't got to point to adding a new wall yet. But you'll know the code better and this would be a cake walk for you.

You need like 6 to 9 stone textured walls 6 to 9 Wood. You need to implement 2 sided or 2 tone as I call them walls. You need to add 6 to 9 more textured roof types for each type of roof. Then the same for floor's.

More fence types. 

Dwm%202015-07-25%2018-54-42-64_zpsoa4oqb

Snapshot_1_zpstyp0y0qh.png

Snapshot_1_zps2pfjlpj3.png

You need to make a new skill taxidermy and start implementing Wall mounts that can be made from the heads of animals as well as full body posed Models of animals as well to be placed in home's. Even add unique's to this list. 

wurm.20151126.0012_zpsryf4cpfp.jpg

You need to take the wagon and add control to remove the tent off the back or least new model that is tent less. Make use of the barrel on the side of the wagon so it is interactable.  wurm.20151202.1808_zpsxdbigtfi.jpg

You need to add more items and construction. Your game is a lot based on construction and well you have a limit on how much can actually be constructed in variety.

You need to add in the ability to make new types of Colossus of the players avatar. I'm sure you can develop a system that takes the base model then add a suit of gear then add in a face component "hair,chin,complextion etc...." then drop a stone texture on top of it. 

You need to code in the ability to change the Y axes on a item and the Z axes I believe so a player can not only push/pull/rotate but move the item left/right and up/down this would give you a item set up kind of like SWG where the player was able to take objects rearrange them in 3d space and actually come up with some very cool looking concoctions. you can then allow players to for example stack there crates on top of each other in there shops.

You could add signs on crates that can be named so one can see with a physical eye a description of what might be in the crate.

Give WO the hitching Post take my version if you want. Add a trough on it so animals can feed while parked at one.

wurm.20151120.1015_zpshz9tz9wb.jpg

You are going to have to step up your items game and construction game cause when others finally learn how to implement model's like me I think WO is going to have a run at it's player base.

You are going to have to make it worth wild now for someone to want to play WO and pay you a fee every month now that they can pay once and play for free from there on out.

What I would do if I was in your shoes and this is a repeat from past post from me cause I for saw this coming. I knew you would do WU down the road just not this soon. Make ever monthly sub tide to a 20x20 or a 25x25 deed that is part of that monthly sub for one price. Then if they want to add extra land they can but will cost them monthly upkeep and a purchase cost like it is now in game but they would never have to pay upkeep or purchase the starter deed cause it comes with the monthly fee.

You have more than enough land mass on all your servers you have created to implement this and not worry about people saying I can't find land.

I would add in a few new mobs for the PVE player base yes they can be added to PVP as well but It will increase your PVE player base. Mobs to add and there activities.

1.The Robber = he has a chance to steal a Item in your inventory while engaged in combat with you. Items he steals goes in his inventory for his drop list. If you kill him you can loot your items back but if he kills you then you need to find him and try to reclaim what he stole from your inventory. Randomly spawns near road tiles and waits for the near by prey. He can travel but never going far from the road tiles.

2.The Bandit = He will do same as the Robber but he can pitch a tent further in the woods away from roads. The tent he pitches will act like a spawner and can randomly spit out new Bandits to roam the area.

3. The Pirate = He will spawn near the sea side. He will rob you like the other 2. His spawner can be a small boat and other Pirates can spawn from the boat the amount  would be determined by the size of the boat.

4.The Captain Pirate a Unique mob = He will spawn in a ship in the water. Pirates can spawn on the boat with him. If engaged he randomly can spit out pirates in small boats to aid him in battle. This would be a very Unique raid boss for the player base to tackle. 

Upgrade the Troll King like the pirate.

This would be a start cause I believe it will take the moding community a little while to get to the point they can do this. If I wasn't studying c# and not trying to get the languages confused I would be very busy developing mod's for wurm and all I've posted would be a reality on the WU client and server's. I want release alot of my personal moding I do on the side for my personal WU server for me and my family cause out of respect I think that would hurt WO and seeing I'm studying to make my own sandbox / themepark style mmo I don't have time to work on them but as you can see from my screen shots I do tinker when I'm not studying my stuff. But in essence I guess my tinkering is still studding.

Think about it Rolf I make alot of good point's here and suggestions.

PS before I forget Tell saroman to check the uvmapping if I recall some of the uvmaps need a flip example the peak model one of the sides is off on alignment.

Edited by Arkonick
  • Like 12

It has all been said:

1. Do something about the tutorial. (Give em a playground that resets every day or something like that)

2. Make Starting skills or perhaps only Carpentry likely to fail at lower levels. Who wants to spend 10(with 30sec timers) attempts trying to attach a plank to a fence. That tells you to run away

before you even begin.

For me personally:

I'd like the world to be "round" \o/

I would like QL to affect speed on boats. (Carts/wagons you can affect with traits and gear so I'm good with that)

Most I want: Wood Textures back on items. I'd gladly suffer some lag to personalize my stuff.

• Like 1

Mountain lion and wolf caps similar to the bear hat. PLEASE, I want a kitty on my head.

Oh yes Rolf, this is very important too.

Skin colors, i wanna be a hot black chick

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Fescue said:

Mountain lion and wolf caps similar to the bear hat. PLEASE, I want a kitty on my head.

Don't forget hellhounds!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Quick question:

Fix it so that rare/supreme/fantastic boats flat out increase speed and not just add a stupid shadow passenger making the boat rarity useless if it's full.

Anyway some other things regarding boats:

Let us open them from much further. Right now you can stand inside the boat and still not be able to open it until you reach a specific spot. Same for lockpicking

Let us do things while sailing. It's horrendous how you have to disembark or stop the boat if you want to let's say cast locate soul or heal up or whatever. Fixing these and making it so you can craft or whatever while on a boat would reduce the boredom of the already tedious sailing

Other things:

Make rarity a guaranteed chance when you get a moment of inspiration, even if you damage the item.

More customizations to PMKs, from being able to choose kingdom title and ruler title names from pre determined names to choosing the tower model for your kingdom. 

Allow vynora to champ up in all WL kingdoms

Allow us to walk up floors with carts that have animals hitched to them

Add a passenger seat on wagons

Allow reinforcing floors while riding on something. Seriously, you can pave dirt while riding but can't reinforce walls/floors in a mine? This would save so much time especially when you have really long tunnels to reinforce.

Allow us to combine gold, silver etc... lumps to 64kg

Completely stop decay on deeds. That goes for lamps, containers, FLOORS, etc etc... Nothing and i mean nothing whatsoever should take damage on deed if there is proper upkeep. Not even food related things.

Stop decay in inventory. Meals take extreme amounts of damage inside a magical chest in my inventory for no reason almost every time you relog. 

Make leveling faster and dependant on your dig timer/skill. 

Increase the chance of getting bones from digging. This feature might not even exist because the chance to get one is around 0.1% 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 2

If it's boring and you don't get special skill from a task, CUT BACK THE TIMER. I just bred my deed of cows/bulls and I'm ready to rage-quit from the 33 second timers to just breed. I got .01 for AH, it was NOT worth it. I wasn't even trying to grind AH.

Another great thing would be to be able to join two different-shaped deeds. I would really prefer to pay upkeep than have to repair the odd fence areas that I can't deed over. Instead of getting some income, it creates a bored, unsatisfied customer.

Regarding the sailing boost - woa or a specific maybe Fo spell on ships, plus ql should matter, maybe a sailing skill introduced?

Min speed is awful, I see more important to increase min speed than max if both seems too much buff.

Combined with better server connections it would do.

Reduce the action timer and increase skill gain. Most people don't play for a day let alone a year. So it would affect such a small minority as to be inconsequential. So the multitude who play for a few hours will be more likely to stick around for a few weeks or months instead. Give people nails when they start. Yes, I'll say it, make it easier for noobs. Unless you want no new players you'll have to do that to get them to stick around. They old whine, 'It was hard for me so make it hard for the noobs' is a crock of stinking poo. Take a look at Steam. There are a multitude of sandbox survival games. Compete. 

7 hours ago, Kegan said:

I was asking myself how would you make the most impact on the game visually because a lot of people complained about the graphics and my answer was to start with the trees so i think an overhaul on the trees would be a good start on improving the games looks.  The older trees are dated and need an overhaul and some of the new ones need more fullness/leaves their canopy is lacking a lot. 

I wonder to what extent player models are part of the graphics complaints.  I don't mean armor, a lot of that looks great imho, I mean having a face only a mother could love ^_^

Along the same lines, do most games out there offer a 3rd person view?  I think 1st person is more immersive for a game like Wurm, but the ability to view our character (aside from the static P) is kind of buried and aside from an alt account, there's no way to see our characters in context.  Probably not the kind of functionality that would bring people back, but maybe something new players have come to expect.  Just throwing it at the wall to see if it sticks.

Actually the limit on what he can do which was mentioned  long ago in this post is very little to convince someone to play WO rather than WU which is part of what this topic is about. Almost every single thing mentioned want make WO stand out. 

WU is a copy of WO all but some undiscovered secrets and a monthly sub. The fact a server can last forever is biased to say cause if WO pop drops to much a server could close so it now act's in a similar way to others hosting a server.

As far as adding content well every thing that goes to wurm will also get put in WU as well as stated.

So how do you make one want to play a game they have no sub to pay. No land upkeep to pay. Can summon all the silver they want. Will get every thing WO gets maybe not the day it is released but withen a week.

I will tell you. WO does not have to release new textures added to say new wall styles. This could be left to the community to have to supply them selves. Now new models yes they get implemented but textures is a different ball game. But it is only 1 thing they can do.

Second would be make subing worth it. Add a deed to a sub which is 25x25 . Some people will say that's to big! No it's not it's not to big it's not to small and it is a incentive to pay. Why? Well for 29.99 a person can pay once and never pay again. Want them to pay you make it worth buying the sub. Some stupid Sleep Powder or a illusion potion is a slap in the face more than ever now when you launched WU one time fee. 

The social between players? HAHA there are few servers up with over 100+ players all time that's more than most of the servers WO has so there is another debunked illusion people are under. Do I see those servers going under? No there to popular.

WU was a shot in the foot cause it was never mentioned to have limits. For one it was stated it would get the exact updates WO gets so the only down fall is not playing on a WO server. It will get player made  updates X times the updates WO gets.

It is going to be a hard sale. I've made some suggestions but WU has been launched only time will tell if and when and how fast WO will die.

Well he does have the option to take WU off steam and stop supporting it sure there are players that will have the game but if no new players can buy the game then the WU servers will eventually die off. 

That said i dont think that is needed WO just needs more exclusive content that WU does not get to make it more enjoyable and incite people over but if WU is not working then it might be best just to stop selling it on steam. 

Edited by Kegan

19 minutes ago, Kegan said:

Well he does have the option to take WU off steam and stop supporting it sure there are players that will have the game but if no new players can buy the game then the WU servers will eventually die off. 

That said i dont think that is needed WO just needs more exclusive content that WU does not get to make it more enjoyable and incite people over but if WU is not working then it might be best just to stop selling it on steam. 

If he removed WU, Don't be surprised if WO went offline by angry WU Players~

If WO Got more content over WU, He would only be digging a bigger hole then the one hes in right now. This community isn't like any other community where its okay to do something like that, the PvE Vs PvP development time argument made this almost blindingly clear. 

13 minutes ago, Kegan said:

I think this goes against what was promised when WU was brought out. It was clearly stated that both WO and WU would get official updates. I believe there are laws in place to protect against this kind of thing and regardless reputation will take an impact if promises already made are broken once people have purchased with their money.

In another way though this doesn't really matter much. Cosmetic upgrades will likely come far faster from a modding community then a small development team anyway. Many of the things people are asking for on WO are already available on WU or soon will be. The reality is for these kind of updates WU will be leading from the front with WO playing catch up.

WO needs to emphasize the stable community, trade and protected PVP aspects of Wurm. Of course to have a stable community requires common sense rules and transparency. Trade requires people to be grouped together more, less spread out and some way of making prices not always fall. PVP is still protected by whatever the anti-hacking modules do that are in WO but not in WU.

Of course all of these things are doable in WU (or in a future competing product if that is what is required). The real thing that WO needs is to have a compelling reason for it's existence.

Prior to WU, WO was the only place you could play Wurm - that was reason enough.

With WU out there people now can just decide what to pay and where to pay it. Content updates are coming faster on WU with the future appearance of many more now that there are viable modloaders available. WU gives people custom maps, allows them to play only with friends or by themselves if they like. They have more control of their servers (whether they last forever or not) and what players are permitted to do on those servers. On top of this it's a lot more fun playing with a single character doing things faster then it is with a bunch of alts all doing the same thing. Lastly WU allows players to pay alot less to play Wurm.

WU also means Codeclub could decide to get out of the business of providing official servers, hosting servers, and running game support staff to focus on core product development only.

For WO to compete it needs to have reasons for it's existence. Right now the reasons seem to be trade (market is always going down on Freedom), PVP (hacking module) and strong communities of friends(where they still exist).

The other common reasons stated for WO have to do with servers being around and the staff/moderation teams. With time both of these reasons will fade because on WU there are people who know how to achieve/maintain 99.999% server uptime and have happy customers/players/friends.

If trade, pvp and strong communities are the reasons to keep WO alive then whatever decisions are made for focus should be made along these lines. Give people a reason to play on WO over WU and they will come.

~Nappy

• Like 3

I might be a bit late to the party, but here are couple of things I would love to see added:

1. Tables you can put stuff on! Would go great with the new chairs. :) 
    • Make them work as containers, but with no decay reduction.
    • Additionally -- when "opening" them they would behave in the same way as opening a body-worn container does right now (that is it showing all items ungrouped); I found that pretty useful when improving a lot of similar things, such as armour or arrows.
    • New models for the really old ones, so they don't hit you on the chin when you walk near them. ;) Possibly a separate model for table with something on it.
  2. Wall-mounted stuff! More decoration = always great.
    • Shield mounts, crests, trophies, lamps, shelves (possibly even large shelves you can put a BSB on, for that warehouse feel).
    • Why not ceiling-mounted lamps and trophies as well?
  3. More mine-stuff (not a total overhaul, but some more neat stuff)! For all the dwarves and dungeon masters out there.
    • "Mine > Passageway" to create a narrow, low ceiling, passage through the tile, instead of mining it out. Can be fitted with a door (wooden or metal) or bars. Step towards creating "rooms" inside the mines. Should probably require fairly high mining skill.
    • "Mine > Secret passage"; similar to the above but would look just like a (reinforced?) cave wall; managed like a door. Would require action to open to pass through. Can be detected by unauthorized players by tracking (or maybe prospecting?) nearby. Should most certainly require high mining skill.
    • Traps! Visible and safely passable to friendlies; detectable (tracking again, I guess) by hostiles.
    • Ornate wall decorations! "Mine > Sculpt > (stuff)" on a wall to create some kind of a decoration (that would also serve as an reinforcement?). Could include things like statue in a niche, stone faces, gods likeness or columns (if done to a tile standing alone).
    • Animated mine doors; instead of them just being a tile type, make them objects. Furthermore make a proper stone mine door and rename the current one to "hidden" one.

Right... I have quite a bit more stuff in mind, but this will do for now. I feel like I'm already over the limit, anyway. :)

P.S.: Other than all that -- maybe have a look at the mods fro WU for inspiration and to see what folks really want. There are some quality-of-life and ornamental mods out there that probably won't be unbalancing to the game and might go a long way in helping WO.

Edited by Thirn
  • Like 1