Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Plan for a Plan

if you want people to stay, ban account trading and silver sales.... 

new players dont last long (paying or not)

it doesnt take long to realize that the economy is ganked by account selling... need top crafters who quit to stay gone.... there is no economy for sub-90ql items hardly because the endgame item economy is overflowing driving prices down and pushing the price for sub-90ql items to about the same price as selling them to token...

f2p are the first to go, selling bulk bricks and mortar to pay for premium gets old quickly so if they manage to last a couple months they are a top f2p contender

paying players not only have to pay for premium, but trading their low ql items for silver to purchase higher ql items is virtually impossible, so they are forced to buy silver from the 90+ crafters that are farming silver just to sell it for euros, and these paying players dont take long to realize that they will not have any bartering power for a long time unless they buy an account

Edited by Evilreaper
  • Like 4

If you want people to play WO instead of WU, then you have to add stuff to WO that's not available to WU. Adding features that will change the code for both communities is a great way to move forward as a general thing, but it's not going to tip the balance of one-off payment versus subscription. WO needs to have things in it that makes it worth paying premium. Now this is a sandbox game by definition - what goes on in the world is player created. Unless the devs and GMs step in and make WO a unique experience that you can't get by playing WU, why wouldn't people continue to go experience the novelty the WU offers with it's ability to be modded - the promise that anything is possible (for better or worse). WO lacks that novelty, and adding new code will just add more to the whole Wurm code, not WO alone. What you have to market WO as, is something that has what you can't get in WU, and right now, all WO has that WU doesn't, is the people still in it, devs and players alike. If you want people to play WO, YOU, the community, has to make it happen, not think it's about code. You have to make people want to come and play in Your Sandbox, because your sandbox experience is better than what they can get in WU. Stop thinking about code and start thinking about participation, people. Wurm is Wurm, Online or Unlimited. If you want people to PAY to play in your portion of the sandbox, you have to offer a superior COMMUNITY experience. Dev and player alike must step up to this challenge and actually BUILD a better world, not just tools to build it WITH.

• Like 1

First let me say I'm a player who has come back several times over the last 2 years because this is simply the most engaging sandbox I have played.  Community is critical and has been stated time and again there is inconsistency in moderators actions which does in fact influence player retention.  Travel is brought up in many comments for good reason it sucks to have to spend a full day going from one end of the linked servers to the other.  I think ql for boats increasing speed over base would help and what if the rigs and ship helm were separate items from the base hull and gave bonuses too based on ql, think of them like horseshoes to horses.  Add more events to the game that encourage teamwork i.e. the uniques might all spawn with larger 'armies' of mobs under them and creatures might spawn to assist them when they reach certain hp thresholds when fighting.  Finding the general area a unique is in might be easier but would require more teamwork to actually slay the creature.  In short think of ways to encourage players that stuff needs doing together and make it easier for them to get together to do said stuff.

• Like 1

I auctioned a large maul on the forum that I've had for a long time only to find out that it can no longer be mailed. I always had it on my character so I guess the person I bought it from over a year ago with silver (that i paid real money for) when I was a new player had already used up its limit. I did not find out about this until today. Now, I doubt anyone will buy it because it can no longer be mailed, and it's basically worthless and I've lost real money. It makes me quite angry so...

My request is simple. Remove the mailing limit on items because we pay silver (real money) for items and not being able to mail them anymore because it reached a limit is like losing our investment.

I can just imagine buying a rare off someone and trying to sell it later on only to find out the mail limit is 0. A rare that is 15s or 15EU is like over $30 in my currency. That's a lot of money to lose because the game imposes an expiry on the mailing of the item. I mean who would want to buy it if it has a limit of 0? No one... because they won't be able to send it to get imped, enchanted, etc. making the item virtually useless.

Edited by Neville
  • Like 3

I've edited this post to make bullet points so I don't end up spamming the thread with additional posts:

Take or leave suggestions as follows:

- Hide/unhide wall plans after bashing walls on buildings for cosmetic reasons

- Allow building fence gates on buildings without first being forced to build arched walls and then having to bash them afterwards

- Allow to build bridges without the side walls (i.e., bannisters or railings) just like you can with staircases

- Allow to build timber-frame oriel that looks just like the plain stone oriel except in timber-frame (see left building in Timber-Framed Armoursmith and Weaponsmith Buildings)

I'm hoping that one or more of these suggestions are easy/quick to implement. I may add to this list in the future if that is OK. I will let the developers choose if they want to implement any of these or not.

Edited by Neville

This is a crazy idea and I'd be surprised if anyone supported it, but maybe... Just maybe.... Offer a voucher that allows a person an exclusive title and something custom in exchange for a skill reset.  For example:  say you have 90 blacksmithing, but you really want an exclusive title that other people haven't already gained from hitting 90 blacksmithing as well.  You use the voucher to reset your blacksmithing to 1.  You get an exclusive title, you get a custom banner design, and perhaps your character shines like a rare object???  Sacrificing different skills would give you different titles and different custom design logos (such as custom banner, or flag, or wagon, or ship, etc.).   

Anyhow, totally crazy idea, but people are crazy about them titles and custom options, so maybe it would be a way to promote recycling your elite skills to make way for new players in the market.  Feel free to bash this idea. Lol

A shop with cosmetic microtransactions with stuff always gets my +1, also ur idea too slick. Anything that generates money for code club is welcome, even if only 1% goes into advertisement/bugfixing/devs its still a win-win for everyone who likes wurm. No one gives a ###### if someone wants to pay 50 euro for some fancy title or tabard or w/e

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LorenaMontana said:

A shop with cosmetic microtransactions with stuff always gets my +1, also ur idea too slick. Anything that generates money for code club is welcome, even if only 1% goes into advertisement/bugfixing/devs its still a win-win for everyone who likes wurm. No one gives a ###### if someone wants to pay 50 euro for some fancy title or tabard or w/e

I'd like to emphasize the word cosmetic. Functional items (ie. res stones) really shouldn't be on a paid system - it's pay to win and it's bad for the game's balance.

5 hours ago, MisterTeddy said:

I'd like to emphasize the word cosmetic. Functional items (ie. res stones) really shouldn't be on a paid system - it's pay to win and it's bad for the game's balance.

all of wurm is "pay to win"

you can buy the best tools/weapons/armor with money, can buy skills (via characters) can buy deeds, etc.

Also, you can already buy res stones for real life money, whether you buy silver from the wurm shop and then use that silver to buy a res stone, or buy silver for a cheaper price from a player.

^ he isn't lying, I found this in trade chat today

tsRx1mj.jpg

I still would like a cosmetic shop with no premium monthly cost, keeping the silver shop (which already gets a lot of income trust me here!), think about all of the people who will play again, but quit because deed upkeep + premium game time was to much?

Edited by Niki

On 12/1/2015 at 8:52 AM, Rolf said:

I did, 30% negativity means we risk losing a lot of players so at the moment it's a no go.

Necro time. Guess who wasnt wrong. Epic is dead 

For pvpers Epic is rather dead.

For those with mixed interests Epic is almost dead.

Should have merged. At least it would have kept money flowing a little more.