Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Plan for a Plan

On 12/15/2015 at 11:33 AM, Amadee said:

Some people like joining villages owned by players but many do not. Especially when they've had the experience of feeling like slaves building someone else's deed and doing their work for them. (I knew of one who used to send emails to her villagers with their daily chores listed. lol).  And some people just like living independent or living in and around  towns.  And currently, the newest players have to be the furthest from the starters towns if they want independence.

This happens a lot - newbies are treated like slaves, and they're kept until they're worn out and quit the game. I've seen lots of new players, probably a lot of them younger folks, come and go after being promised they could be part of the "in crowd" once they earned their keep by mining lots of iron squares out of tunnels, clear-cutting large swaths of land, etc. - boring, lonely, annoying chores that end up with no reward. No one lasts past it. They're given a half-assed pick, meals, and some off-deed shack if that, and then bossed around until they move on to a more interesting game.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LorenaMontana said:

Mic integration would be extremly fun and good for this game, great idea.

I don't think I'd want to hear griefers carrying on by voice. Even if it wasn't nasty talk, I still think hearing a voice messes up my immersion somehow. Some people don't know when to shut up, and at least typing slows them down a bit.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LorraineJ said:

I don't think I'd want to hear griefers carrying on by voice. Even if it wasn't nasty talk, I still think hearing a voice messes up my immersion somehow. Some people don't know when to shut up, and at least typing slows them down a bit.

Simple fix:  volume controls - voice chat - 0

Still a wonderful idea. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LorraineJ said:

There is always /ignore , nothing will change :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LorenaMontana said:

There is always /ignore , nothing will change :)

/ignore works on voice for sure?

8 hours ago, LorraineJ said:

/ignore works on voice for sure?

Think about that for a moment.  You can mute the music, you can mute the ambiance, you can mute sound affects, why would you not be able to mute mic sounds?  Obviously that could be added in.

• Like 1

Sprint option for characters (even if it drains alot of stamina), but I have heard from a friend that he knew quite some people who left wurm after finding out that they can only walk in a constant non changing boring way XD 

And I think, even if it maybe won't increase subs drastically, but it could change the feel of the game a little more, like more accessable to those who come from other mmos to wurm. 

Oh and another idea: How about changing the skillcurve for beginners a bit again? Like give them an intentive to play a bit more to get into the "hook up zone from wurm" XD 
Like, we already have newbie buffs, there could be a new buff, lasting for the same amount of time that gives newbies a little more experience. 

Another way would be allowing newbies to have a buff that is lasting a little longer that gives you 50 experience boost charges for every skill, in other words it would encourage players to switch skills to gain xp for those also,

thus making it maybe more likely that they find what they like and stick to the game :)

Edited by Miretta

I feel the only issue with a sprint ability is the frame rate and lag you'll experience.  Your position on the server is not updated.  Please move slower.  On Xanadu for instance, sprinting would seem like a horrible choice to make. lol

Edited by Slickshot

nah, horses can already go 40kmh with rare gear. I doubt a sprint ability making you go a little faster would be a big deal in that regard. Considering the sprint shouldnt go faster than 24kmh

My wagon already goes faster than a person not wearing armour and low weight.

Edited by Nicrolis
added wagon details

My top speed hits 100 km/h for several seconds in a row and never had the position update issue - in a long 40 slope tunnel. So that should be no issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaz said:

My top speed hits 100 km/h for several seconds in a row and never had the position update issue - in a long 40 slope tunnel. So that should be no issue.

You are but only a few. lol  I've gotten that error message while picking my nose before, with both hands.

you only get it when you lag. Its when the server registers you only able to travel a certain speed, but all of the sudden you are in a spot that the server goes "he shouldnt be here"

Rolf, I've just been digging though suggestions and ideas for an old thread.

How about adding a hunting server?

Simply Hunting no building, just a server you can sail to and kill creatures. Even make more exciting and powerful mobs just to that server. 

The thread was created 2 years ago and still has massive popularity, yet it has never been implemented. Even after 457 people voted for it. Of which 64% of people voted yes to it.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/74748-hunting-server/#comment-739003

Edited by Maximustehgreat
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Nicrolis said:

nah, horses can already go 40kmh with rare gear. I doubt a sprint ability making you go a little faster would be a big deal in that regard. Considering the sprint shouldnt go faster than 24kmh

My wagon already goes faster than a person not wearing armour and low weight.

I was talking about newbies mostly, not about well geared, well established players whom can aswell ride on horses and carts :P

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Miretta said:

I was talking about newbies mostly, not about well geared, well established players whom can aswell ride on horses and carts :P

It is this very thing that makes the game noobie unfriendly and why they leave in droves within their first days. When something is suggested to help noobies, the replies come back to how geared people don't need it. It takes a lot of work for a noob to be able to even ride a horse, let alone a wagon and forget one with all rare and enchanted gear. We're not trying to keep the seasoned players around as much as trying to get new players to stay long enough to become seasoned. What a seasoned player can do should be completely removed from consideration of what a new player needs.

Add new dimensions and features to building to make wurm stand out as a sandbox. I mean currently you have only wood or stone as a house option..

4 hours ago, Miretta said:

sorry I wasnt against it :P I was for it, I was replying to the person against it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure whether thhis thread is still being monitored by developers, but if it is, please, make dredging less tedious. Here's a nice suggestion thread adressing this: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/129172-multiple-sized-dredges/

Another thing i found while digging through old suggestions is being able to move loaded containers between vehicles without the need to unload them onto the ground first: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/130964-load-between-vehicles/

Spoiler

I don't feel like bumping dozens of old threads, but maybe this way to deliver some good (and already discussed) ideas to Devs would come to be better?

Edited by zigozag

Going to add my two bits, not sure if these have been mentioned before.

One of the things that annoyed me when I was starting out was the skill-loss on death. On the freedom servers it's really a pointless feature and to some extent newbie hostile. And while you can meditate to become skill-loss immune it just shouldn't be in the game to start with.

Another thing was the lack of space to call home and store my stuff. Granted I could join a village from day one, but I think a lot of newbies want to experience the game on their own before joining a settlement or founding their own. A large starter town with really cheap rentable beds and more importantly cheap rentable chests (like one month rent at a time), public mines, cooking area, forge, etc. A place a player could really call home for the first few weeks would be a huge boost to the newcomer experience.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2015 at 0:03 PM, LorraineJ said:

This happens a lot - newbies are treated like slaves, and they're kept until they're worn out and quit the game. I've seen lots of new players, probably a lot of them younger folks, come and go after being promised they could be part of the "in crowd" once they earned their keep by mining lots of iron squares out of tunnels, clear-cutting large swaths of land, etc. - boring, lonely, annoying chores that end up with no reward. No one lasts past it. They're given a half-assed pick, meals, and some off-deed shack if that, and then bossed around until they move on to a more interesting game.

I'm glad my village wasn't like this. I got a short list of things they were working on, a few things they didn't want touched and "Here's a 4x4 plot for your yard/house." ( on-deed )  I was given a bunch of good to great ( 40 - 70 ) QL tools, weapons & armor and basically given free reign. They offered advice on what to do that would help me get skills more quickly as well as a few things that would help the village.

If I ever leave & create my own village that brings in newbies, I will do the same. It really helped me get started and I felt like I was contributing, not a slave.

46 minutes ago, zethreal said:

I'm glad my village wasn't like this. I got a short list of things they were working on, a few things they didn't want touched and "Here's a 4x4 plot for your yard/house." ( on-deed )  I was given a bunch of good to great ( 40 - 70 ) QL tools, weapons & armor and basically given free reign. They offered advice on what to do that would help me get skills more quickly as well as a few things that would help the village.

If I ever leave & create my own village that brings in newbies, I will do the same. It really helped me get started and I felt like I was contributing, not a slave.

Yeah oddly enough you do tend to find slave-driver villages in Wurm.  When recruiting for my village we've always had an active count of how much space is available, so that we don't over-recruit and force people to live in the mine and work all day long.  We give them the option to donate materials to a central village fund at the church, and be reimbursed by receiving better gear and equipment for their hard work.  We also reward them for sticking around and putting in total-playtime days with even better rewards and plot-size upgrades for which to build their homes and farms.  I find the most attractive way to lure someone to a village and keep them is to reward them for being friendly and being a good player, not by forcing them to do work they don't want to do which burns them out rapidly.

• Like 1

Third party view, Epic skill curve on freedom if you pay a higher monthly premium and better underwear :)

On 2-1-2016 at 7:06 PM, Meowies said:

Third party view, Epic skill curve on freedom if you pay a higher monthly premium and better underwear :)

And your tools should automatically get 105 COC if you touch them, dont forget!

Asking what can be done to improve WO is a difficult question.  Majority of suggestions I had read seem to apply to both games and lean more favorite to WU instead of WO as asked.  And any thing I would suggest would just be a shot in the dark.  So I'll take thread and give my track history here in WO.  As to most players who are here, I am a bit new in the time scale of wurm coming in around November 11th of 2011.  I came with nine other friends.  Originally the youngest at 18 talking me into joining him because he was lonely here.  After the first week, four others had already dropped out.  The second week a friend got a sub, but only lasted to the end of the month.  By the end of two months I was the only one left.  During this time, originally we all chose a role that we would fill.  I chose mason, not knowing I was going to have to sub up for that as I wanted to build stone houses for us all.  The carpenter left at the end of week two.  So now we had to start looking into another skill to work on just to get a house going.  The blacksmith left at week two as well.  Another skill to work on.  I don't have this kind of time as I'm working and wurm it self is a job in it self in time to do any thing with.  No one as of yet can make any of the nice items.  Luckily we had all joined a quasi village where the guy who lead it had 6 months in the game.  We all spent our time fixing up the place the way he wanted it.  No one complained as we needed the skill raised any ways so that we could start building or making any thing nice.  This person who had some time in the game did a big deal in helping us get going.  I used the time to mine, make bricks and make a stone wall around the place since we were not going to pay for a game that we had already lost half our initial starting player count with.

It took me a whole month to top out at 20 on mason skill.  At this point I also had become the carpenter, miner and farmer.  I couldn't choose a weapon so I kept bouncing around, but no matter what I hunted, I had to have two or three others with me otherwise I was dead, by wolves or mountain lions.  When our armor was finally making a chain set for me, he stopped coming to the game.  So by now I had the first two months of the game being able to ease into all the roles needed to do any thing in this game to just survive.  The skills were at 20 for the most important things.  Blacksmiths eventually worked its way in there when the last of my friends, the one who brought me in left the game.  Now I had to figure out how to make nails for a new house as the owner who had it didn't have me on permissions to modify.  Luckily the forge was still there, all the other tools and all that were kept on our characters when we logged out so no one would steal our stuff.  So now I have to figure out how to make iron.  I remembered something about the iron ore I had mined for him and tossed that in and hoped it would melt but wasn't sure how long it would take.  In a 10ql forge, it took forever.  I didn't know higher ql stuff made this go by faster. 

I am now the only person left out of this group, including the guy who had helped us getting started.  Luckily the learning curve wasn't shoved at me all at once.  I had two months in at this point.  I put a deed up right next to where the walls were and still have that spot to this day.  It is located on Deliverance and at the time, I thought a really really really long way from the starter city.  Now, int he grand scale of things, I'm like a five minute walk from the place.  What I remember the most hat made the journey normally thirty minutes to get back home was the "mob dodging"  I would some times die two or three times just trying to get back.  I mean what the heck!  Now I have to work on those skills again.  This stuff has taken me two months to get to 20!  What I should have done was joined a starter village, that is what I should have done, but no, I wanted to be with my friends and we would all learn together.

Now, I am solo with none of my friends around.  The freedom chat wasn't a friendly place at the time due to Deliverance unique community of Xenophobia.  I hadn't subscribed yet and my deed wasn't set but I had a house I was working out of.  So, I figured I would leave my mark on the game in the case I did leave the game.  Why not make a highway?  This I went about by planing a route where no deeds were even near.  I learned many things about how people react to highways in Wurm doing this.  They either run to the very end of there you cleared at and set up a deed and force you to reroute.  Or even if it doesn't go through their perimeter and goes around, they will destroy the road.  The rules?  If it is any thing I have learned about the rule enforcement in WO is "Technically according to the letter no rule was broken"  You would think don't take other peoples stuff would mean that.  But according to the very letter it doesn't mean that at all.  It just is there to look good.  After completing the highway project, even if not properly done, just done as quickly as possible to have less isseus setting it up.  I preemed up, all that skill I could have had.... oh well.  I then set up my deed and havn't left.  But I do come and go from the game.  Sitting here at the computer for 8 hours making mortar just to pay upkeep for a month on the deed is like an hour at work in real life.

As for prices people keep talking about.  Being a new player, if you want to survive any thing, you are going to have to drop some real cash into this game.  And not just a little.  I had two hroses hooked up with gear.  They were take right off deed killed and had their equipment yanked off them.  Yes it was my fault because I didn't know that you couldn't give permissions for a deed on another server to access your deed and the permissions overrode all the others I had set up.  So because I didn't set my deed up correctly the guys didn't technically steal any thing.  20 dollars or real life cash, just gone.  Then the weapon I have, I still have it, almost lost it recently but that sucker cost me 40 real life dollars.  The armor I have, luckily it is much cheaper at 8 real life dollars.  All this in order to keep from dieing every few days in wurm and having to work on that lost skill again.

If you havn't figured it out by now, I am a PvE player.  I'm not into that PvP take what I can type thing.  Deliverance, being as it used to be the first server you would hit leaving chaos is nothing but nail your stuff down or loose it type place.  Reason for the Xenophobia of the server.  My friends who I knew who have left the game were all PvE players as well.  And I miss playing with them.  One of the nicest people I knew left because due to a glitch had all her stuff yanked from off deed.  That player is never coming back.  I could go on for a long time with all the issues as to why my friends left the server and now want me to go to WU.  Thing is, I know that if I join them on WU, all five of the deeds I have now will be closed up and I may never be back to WO.

I would like to play with some of the higher end gear there is in game.  I would like to have access to drake armor and dragon plate with out spending 500 real dollars for the stuff.  I would like to have a adamantium or even a glimmer weapon with out paying the half a grand in real life currency for.  But I will never have access to it because A, I'm dumping that kind of money into pixels, and B, I don't see my self doing PvP any time soone.  I was over on Chaos before, it is nothing but base building.  Why not separate PvE and PvP all together?  Already Deliverance is used as a safe house for crafting all the materials needed for the bases and the nice gear that people do not want stolen from that side.  And by separating the two sides of the game you can implement many of the things that the PvE community has been asking for and not having to worry about breaking the balance of the PvP side of the game.

• Like 2

I want to see

- reduced water/lump timers with higher overall smithing skill.

- less loading and unloading of items that can already be picked up (seriously? I can't drop this marble table into my wagon?).

- models that match eachother (everything seems to be from a different time period)

- faster boats, or fix winds, or allow folding of sails.