Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Plan for a Plan

Rain not falling through our roofs/floors.

Smoke particles from sources not passing through walls.  Aka forges from lower levels flooding upper levels with smoke.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2015, 11:08:49, Evening said:

For many high end - or even mid level - players, is an end, nothing to motivate them to carry on after skilling like crazy. Since accounts can be sold/bought, and high end ones will always be in game, there need to be other incentives for players.

WU took out the mystery, nothing left to test or discover, because someone will pop up and offer you cold numbers dug from the code.

What WO needs (in my opinion) .. novelty

- new skills (meaningful skills, no milling or milking), maybe revamping some of the old skills, like pupeteering

- all servers are heavily terraformed and littered in junk left behind (planted stuff which cannot be taken away and takes forever to be bashed, 3/4 decayed houses but with a higher ql wall which lasts months before rotting and prevent people deeding).

(An idea discussed with friends, but they're not on to post themselves now) find a way for undeeded land to ''revert" to a wild, not terraformed stage. Make decay of items offdeed higher, or give us a way to dispose of junk faster

- fix bugs, fix bugs, fix bugs

- things to motivate players to go out exploring (small ''treasures", randomly added, not necessarily valuable ones, but "findings" are always motivational)

- IF some changes are to be made to improve traveling, I'd rather see Release connected to Exodus and Pristine connected to Independence, not to Chaos directly.

- as a last resort, merging smaller servers (Pristine, Release, Exodus, Celebration, Deliverance) into couple bigger ones (the size of Independence) could be a solution for too spread out population and lack of interaction between players (even though I'm not a fan of idea myself).

Concur to all above... really good wurmish thinking.....Im playing wurm because it is like NO other game....dont wanna see it become another WoW clone just because that is what the puplic wants...

In the mind of wurmish thinking an idea could be that veterans could be teachers(trainers) of a master skill QL 95+ to others in the same way caring for animals work... would boost player skilling like sleep powder for a certain time and silver could be made of it....

On 01/12/2015, 08:48:54, Rolf said:

Hi everybody,

it's soon time for us to present the plans for the winter development, and I'd like to hear what you guys want in there!

The primary goal will be mainly for attracting players back to Wurm Online in order to stop the current blood loss but we'll also aim to increase support for WU modding. We'll plan up until February-March which will be a manageable run. We have various ideas and have taken note of popular suggestions but asking you directly like this will be very interesting I think. So go wild with ideas that you think should be possible to implement in a couple of weeks max and we'll go through your suggestions. Huge projects like 3D caves are too big for this run and shouldn't be necessary in order to make the game more fun. Also, consider that the longer you make the post the more complex the suggestion will seem which will make it less probable to be implemented :) 

Anything from new features to improvements and top prio bugs are welcome!

We'll present and discuss this in IRC next Tuesday, the 8th at 17.00 hrs CET (8 am PST) (join irc.rizon.net, channel #wurm). We'll provide a summary of the plans in the news afterwards and a transcript of the chat session should end up here as well eventually.

The two main reasons I currently see for players leaving:

1. WU is a one time fee and has all the same options as WO which costs 8 Euro pm per character.

Financially there is no incentive for players to switch. Maybe a new finance model should be investigated, possibly a micro shop that works for a lot of other mmos/games. No items that are pay to win, but cosmetic items maybe, clothing, house decorations, Hota statues etc. but these need to be priced to be attractive to buy. If implemented, these items should NOT be enabled in WU. The games need a differential to make WO attractive.

2. WU skill gain can be set to whatever the Server Admin desires, therefore making the game a lot less of a "grind" in general.

I cannot see a real solution to this without ruining the years of work some people have put into the game so far, apart from making the game less of a clickfest. Intorduce more keybinds for shortcuts, such as Priest spells, which are implemented on WU but not WO.

My final suggestion, would be to merge Chaos and Epic so all pvp'ers are together, yes it will be a pain to code/resolve, but its possible. Remove direct access from Chaos to Freedom isles and introduce the same system currently employed on Epic - Portals and seperate chars (with the same name).

Maintain the various Kingdoms, this should broaden the pvp activities and widen the number of pvp'ers.

Edited by Chulirac
  • Like 2

On 04/12/2015, 06:36:31, Jaz said:

Regarding the sailing boost - woa or a specific maybe Fo spell on ships, plus ql should matter, maybe a sailing skill introduced?

Min speed is awful, I see more important to increase min speed than max if both seems too much buff.

Combined with better server connections it would do.

I haven;t read all the posts but....

Speed should be related to ship QL like horseshoes. Having the speed increase done by a priest doesn't help the ship building market. Nobody really cares about ships above the knarr, they are basically just trophies. THis way having  high skill in ship building matters. SHip boost should not be too much, eg a 90 sailing boat shouldn't be fast than a knarr for instance.

• Like 1

making the staff team competitive again, 3 month to get a /support ticket answered is no good for paying customers.

This is a huge one.

I'm a big paying customer of wurm and over the years I've had many prems going at the same time. To have a bug kill me and still no GM response after 2.5 days, is disgusting.

You know how much I love wurm and have done so many vids which people watch, it takes a lot to rattle me when it comes to wurm. I nearly quit the other night. Not all player are so forgiving. I have lose some faith in wurm now. This is the type of thing that really kills wurm players especially ones that see this time and time again.

GM need to be quicker and fix these situations, especially when it's really to a game bug that is not the players fault at all. 

Even though you may think 2.5 days is not long, it's still a game killer for some. 3 months? now thats amazing. 

I do see a lot of idea in here that are related to getting players back, but just game improvements. Losing long term players usually come down to things like this, BUGS.  Dismounting on bridges and death in walls, bugs like these.

38 minutes ago, Chulirac said:

The two main reasons I currently see for players leaving:

My final suggestion, would be to merge Chaos and Epic so all pvp'ers are together, yes it will be a pain to code/resolve, but its possible. Remove direct access from Chaos to Freedom isles and introduce the same system currently employed on Epic - Portals and seperate chars (with the same name).

Maintain the various Kingdoms, this should broaden the pvp activities and widen the number of pvp'ers.

If this was to be considered or happen I think it would be better to not introduce base kingdoms except freedom one. Leave the current Chaos system as in pmks only . Plus a brand new map, only way a merge would work really. Cutting it off from freedom except via portal would be great too. Wont have so called pvpers living on freedom then. They would be on the pvp server which is where they should be.

• Like 3

Hi,

I'll be stoneth, set on fire, buried in dung, and whatever unpleasant things can happen in Wurm, but, Fo help me, here I am and I cannot help but saying:

• Do what you like with your PvP (maybe in accordance with what the PvPers want, all 30 of 'em), but make Wurm PvP a separate and not connected game of itself. The hostility the PvPers show in the forums (they call it "meta-game" I suppose) as well as the often drastic nerfs to central game mechanics done in their behalf have already costed you a lot of long-year Wurmians.
    It doesn't go together peacefully, this has shown over and over.
    And those few that love to play both sides, and not only use the West coast of Freedom as safe haven, can easily have 2 avatars - that they have already, for the most part.

• Think of the money you ask for. You're asking more then any AAA MMO for only 2 avatars & one or two deeds already, with now way for beginners to start more cheaply. Maybe you'd look at this thread?

• Fresh players don't like hellhounds nor trolls, and they shouldn't face them. They also don't like to hit the world in shanty towns around the current spawn points, where there's no tree to chop, no dirt to dig, and no place to drop a temporary home. Have them spawn on a special server, resetted every month, with a time account of maybe 30 in-game-days before they're teleported out.
    Make this an "easy island", with wolves as the most dangerous enemies, and maybe a spare bear or spider. Make it a place where fresh players can, in relative safety, can get accustomed to the game, and learn the social (and other) skills. For a limited time.

• Make an "event island", mayhaps use GV for this. A place accessible by a special portal (like the epic ones) only, where there's no riding but on found animals, and where the GMs could spawn strange stuff for the entertainment of the Wurmians. No loot, just fun, challenge, entertainment - get it?
    Btw., for this I'd gladly scrap my GV chars.

• Get rid of the "unique" stuff. Either find a way that works, or scrap it at all. It doesn't make sense that organized groups are collecting lots of silvers while all the helpers just get another blood, or any other scrap. This doesn't work, this makes ppl angry, this shouldn't exist. If you can't get it right, scrap it, plz!

Well, you asked for my view. Here it is. Tread it as you like.

And have fun!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Moxie said:

A few quick (ha!) things:

*players are too spread out on too many servers. close celebration, pristine, and release, and give those few remaining players still there a motivation/compensation to move to Indy or Xanadu.

That will motivate me alright. Motivate me to walk away and never look back. I have nearly 3 years and hundreds of dollars in Release. Why not close Xanadu and force those onto the smaller servers. It would solve the lag on Xanadu surely.

Edited by Audrel
  • Like 2

ability to build bridges indoors so i can have a way to move wagons/carts upstairs from inside, rather than making a bridge from outside.

• Like 1

-Allow the owner of a horse to lead it while being the passenger of a boat (that's owned by your village).

-Allow horses to travel between servers (as long as they're lead). Maybe have some kind of limit that you can only lead one horse.

-An option to Drink from the shoreline (without seeing "You are too far away") while commanding a large boat (Corbita/Cog/Caravel)

-"Lower Sail" option for boats (of course, not the Rowboat). This would put less of a speed penalty when going into the wind. Mind Logic requirement would vary on the size of the boat.

-Option to toggle the Rare glow effect.

-Option to close a support ticket (so I don't have to see the Support tab for a week).

Edited by Benie

sell the game to someone that still has the passion to code it. 

• Like 3

You probably need to advertise better and think out of the box with it. A lot of Americans for example haven't even heard of wurm.

Don't understand why people continually blame 'griefing' on the pvp community, there are plenty of bad apples that live solely on freedom pve.

Aggressive animals that tear you apart when your skills are low are a good thing, they drive a player to 'get good' so you don't die to hell hounds, if there was no danger ever, wurm would become a boring place. I actually think the valeri creatures should spawn on freedom, a good dose of nogumps would shake you up in no time and make you appreciate the 'tame' hellhound that may chase you down the road.

Exploring the servers of wurm is always interesting and that is in part to the dangers you may run into. Venture into a secluded woods and even a well equipped adventurer may find himself fleeing a pack of hell hounds and trolls.

There are plenty of guard towers and player soon learn to use them, if you find yourself running all the time down a road being chased by mean critters look around and think maybe I should build a guard tower here.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Don't understand why people continually blame 'griefing' on the pvp community, there are plenty of bad apples that live solely on freedom pve.

Actually, re-read.. "only the PvP'ers hunted him down" as in "staff didn't touch him".

On 04/12/2015, 19:13:46, Malena said:
6 hours ago, DoctorAngus said:

ability to build bridges indoors so i can have a way to move wagons/carts upstairs from inside, rather than making a bridge from outside.

Although I'd love just as much as the next person to see Wurm get more coverage and attention, my guestimate is that in the case of this game and in it's current state, marketing (which is mega mega super duper expensive) would be a lost cause. Reason being that those who "get" wurm are a niche.

Vulture, you can, just takes a bit of creative thought.. it's a challenge, that's wurm.
If wurm gave you everything you wanted it would be boring, you'd even tire of ransacking far off fallen deeds.
clicky for clue

Spoiler

oZUV95m.jpgvGEj3qQ.jpg

Those ? are unfinished temples. Please sort that out.

Edited by Steveleeb

On 12/1/2015, 4:19:45, Griffith said:

to increase population needs population for retention of new accounts.

catch 22. so basically, things that facilitate movement.

1.faster travel times on ships (better brakes on large ships) 

2.for pve, between server portals with maybe a 24hr timer.

3. more low end creatures that new players can hunt and not feel so useless at combat.

4.for pve, more usefulness from pets, so that they can actually fight with you

5. free 2 month in wo with purchase of wu. 

As a Newbie I agree with #3. more low end creatures that new players can hunt and not feel so useless at combat.

• Like 1

1 = Reduce world travel once I hit a server boarder [doesn't matter what server] it should give me the option to go to whatever server I want.

Say I'm on Indy and I go to the north server boarder, once I cross the threshold a list of the other servers should pop up asking me what one I want to go to. Then once you pick it, it should ask what side, be it N,S,E,W

2 = Lower costs to play WO premium time and deed cost for just one toon is like most AAA titles out there. And if you play a few toons with a few deeds crazy...... It used to be viable before the trader nerf, you could pay your deed upkeep and a toon depending on how many traders you had. Now with WU it's a one time 30 buck deal why stay here ?

3 = No decay on deed period, I shouldn't have to spend time repairing stuff on a deed I pay for. Once a deed goes under 30 days speed it up to the point it poofs once the 30 is up.

4 = fix bugs and continue to enhance the game.

I could go on and on about stoopid chit but these few points are some of the biggest issues WO has.

• Like 7

Marble brick walls for houses that match the textures of the ones used in bridges.  Marble stones fences/walls too.  Absolutely gorgeous graphic that should be used more. 

• Like 3

What about that combat overhaull that you promised nearly 2 years ago? Idk but i think that a better combat system could retain some of the players who are more into pvp.

Mooring ropes that actually do something. Currently their only reason for existence is to make the game more difficult. They don't moor anything. You can't tie a boat up to anything. So, allow people to actually use a mooring rope to moor a ship to a dock. Either make them useful or get rid of them. Requiring things simply to make a game harder is one way to turn people off to the game. Give everything a purpose. 

3 minutes ago, Sarcaticous said:

Mooring ropes that actually do something. Currently their only reason for existence is to make the game more difficult. They don't moor anything. You can't tie a boat up to anything. So, allow people to actually use a mooring rope to moor a ship to a dock. Either make them useful or get rid of them. Requiring things simply to make a game harder is one way to turn people off to the game. Give everything a purpose. 

Mooring ropes are only used to make anchors, which can be pretty much used anywhere. Though personally, the time it takes to raise the anchor should be improved, based on Body Strength.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Benie said:

Mooring ropes are only used to make anchors, which can be pretty much used anywhere. Though personally, the time it takes to raise the anchor should be improved, based on Body Strength.

So then you've never made a ship. They ALL call for mooring ropes. Every last one of them.

• Like 1

If pegs can be used to build ships then why can't these same pegs be used to make houses?

make tamed pets fun, seriously buff their stats and bring the speed in line with horses, allow unicorns, crocs, bears to wear all gear so that nearly every animal is a viable mount.  then make worgs ride able

to go further protect tamed horses from being attacked by npc mobs, i feel this alone would bring much joy to exploration and having a horse thats not gonna run off on ya if you get disconnected or have to log out and handle real life.

• Like 3

I like to see free looking around without clicked button on mouse.

Simple change but useful. :D