Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Plan for a Plan

3 hours ago, atazs said:

Fix it so that rare/supreme/fantastic boats flat out increase speed and not just add a stupid shadow passenger making the boat rarity useless if it's full.

This has been discussed many times in various threads.

Increasing the max speed with rarity BREAKS boat pvp for the underdogs, its a VERY unwise change that should NOT occur.

The speed problems with ships has to be solved in other ways.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2015, 4:17:35, Zekezor said:

Out of _everything_ said here, these are the only real suggestions that apply to the issue presented.

1) Change in the subscription model for WO

2) Change skillgain (people have suggested making it easier at earlier levels)

3) Make more connections between servers available in the freedom cluster in WO.

4) Adjust timers

But... Thats about it.

Nothing else here is WO specific.

You forgot:

"On PvE, no griefing, theft, or stalking allowed. No loopholes."

As soon as a person who's played the one-pay of WU comes on WO, starts paying monthly for deeds, paying monthly for a toon or toons, and then all the time and money they put into their deed is destroyed by a griefer, or they're stalked or bullied by some ass, they won't be back and will surely spread the word of the lovely treatment that can be expected when playing WO. The old "well technically it's not griefing" isn't going to fit anymore.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

This has been discussed many times in various threads.

Increasing the max speed with rarity BREAKS boat pvp for the underdogs, its a VERY unwise change that should NOT occur.

The speed problems with ships has to be solved in other ways.

Or, change it for PvE and leave it alone for PvP.  Please STOP rejecting QOL updates for PvE just because it might make PvPers mad.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Ricowan said:

Or, change it for PvE and leave it alone for PvP.  Please STOP rejecting QOL updates for PvE just because it might make PvPers mad.

This don't happen on WU PVE servers. PVPers don't get a say in what does and don't come in a pve server. Just another thing against wanting to play WO. There to many perks to WU it is going to be hard to keep up with them all.

A rework of the Fatigue anti-macro system. In its current state it punishes people who are grinding out skills long-term.

1 hour ago, Thirn said:

I might be a bit late to the party, but here are couple of things I would love to see added:

1. Tables you can put stuff on! Would go great with the new chairs. :) 
    • Make them work as containers, but with no decay reduction.
    • Additionally -- when "opening" them they would behave in the same way as opening a body-worn container does right now (that is it showing all items ungrouped); I found that pretty useful when improving a lot of similar things, such as armour or arrows.
    • New models for the really old ones, so they don't hit you on the chin when you walk near them. ;) Possibly a separate model for table with something on it.
  2. Wall-mounted stuff! More decoration = always great.
    • Shield mounts, crests, trophies, lamps, shelves (possibly even large shelves you can put a BSB on, for that warehouse feel).
    • Why not ceiling-mounted lamps and trophies as well?
  3. More mine-stuff (not a total overhaul, but some more neat stuff)! For all the dwarves and dungeon masters out there.
    • "Mine > Passageway" to create a narrow, low ceiling, passage through the tile, instead of mining it out. Can be fitted with a door (wooden or metal) or bars. Step towards creating "rooms" inside the mines. Should probably require fairly high mining skill.
    • "Mine > Secret passage"; similar to the above but would look just like a (reinforced?) cave wall; managed like a door. Would require action to open to pass through. Can be detected by unauthorized players by tracking (or maybe prospecting?) nearby. Should most certainly require high mining skill.
    • Traps! Visible and safely passable to friendlies; detectable (tracking again, I guess) by hostiles.
    • Ornate wall decorations! "Mine > Sculpt > (stuff)" on a wall to create some kind of a decoration (that would also serve as an reinforcement?). Could include things like statue in a niche, stone faces, gods likeness or columns (if done to a tile standing alone).
    • Animated mine doors; instead of them just being a tile type, make them objects. Furthermore make a proper stone mine door and rename the current one to "hidden" one.

Right... I have quite a bit more stuff in mind, but this will do for now. I feel like I'm already over the limit, anyway. :)

P.S.: Other than all that -- maybe have a look at the mods fro WU for inspiration and to see what folks really want. There are some quality-of-life and ornamental mods out there that probably won't be unbalancing to the game and might go a long way in helping WO.

These are good ideas. Players should also be able to build creature lairs that actually works for spawning monsters and animals. Then we can create real dungeons for other players to explore. Lairs could be harvestable so a spider lair would spawn spiders and you would also be able to harvest spider silk from it like you would pick fruit or leaves from trees and bushes. Different lairs can have different resources. New lairs should be more like a guard tower rather then the already existing lairs so that the mobs hand around the lair instead of spawning randomly in a huge area. The server could keep track on the number of critters killed on each server and eventually spawn a boss version randomly on the server.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ricowan said:

This.... the code split needs to be more visible, some samples have been given already in recent patches. 

Make combat fun!

Examples:
Be able to target multiple creatures, so we can have a priority and may hit more than one at a time.
Have text that shows how you hit and get hit: (You slash the beetle in its head. The Hell Hounds leg is chopped off and splatters blood everywhere!)
Have possible combinations (Your hit goes off the spiders leg and into the Aged Troll leg injuring it badly!)
Where you hit matters! (Your strong hit to the leg slows the wolf.) This way, you can target a part of body and run, or just get some advantage in some way.

Have a a retreat option.

Just examples of making combat fun for us. Not just clicking and waiting for algorithms play out!

Plus: A new toon cant kill a chicken with the starter gear??? Really???
Fix that for new toons!

--- If you actually want to be innovative and program for players: Let us make snares to lead creatures into and use some advanced strategy!

This alone would bring more people to Wurm, and also make it fun for us veterans!

Edited by Roh

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Quick question:

I see sailing speeds mentioned often, what kind of boosts are we looking at? Increases to minimum speed, maximum speed, or both?

I would suggest two things here, Retrograde:

1. Sailing speed based on ship quality. Perhaps the lower end ships, like 10 ql should be just slightly slower than what we have now, both in min and max speed. The higher the quality of the boat, however, the faster the ship could potentially go. Wind would still be a factor, as it is now. Also, perhaps the higher quality of a boat may lower the turning radius slightly.

2. Raising and lowering sails. Lowered sails would only allow the ship to move slowly. It would be perfect for docking and navigating tight passages. Raised sails would make the ship move according to the wind, as it is now.

Boat speeds should be based on a more realistic wind pattern and not a boat Quality. The issue has never been the boats but has always been wind direction is to long in one direction.

It needs to change more often that way when you go to one place and it takes like 1hr to 1hr 30 mins the wind isn't still blowing in the same direction. It should always be under a random direction not based on a set time before it changes.

It shouldn't be hard to create a algorithm that creates a wind pattern and changes randomly rather than a set time then it changes to a random direction. If the wind changed directions more often it wouldn't take long times to go to and from places.

Way it is now the wind can be same direction for long hrs meaning you might have favor one direction but will always have the wind against you coming back. If it was more random and freakish you could have long time to and from and maybe the wind is in favor on both trips for you.

I do have a few specific suggestions for new features.

The single most effective new feature I can think of would allow us to customize crafted objects by painting selected portions different colors and for the objects to really look painted instead of the current "dyed" look.

People are drawn to Wurm largely for the creative possibilities afforded by its best in class terraforming and player made housing systems.  Compared to those systems the creative possibilities of the current crafting system are relatively weak.  This is a feature that could be proofed out on one popular item, e.g. large cart, and subsequently applied to other items as demand and popularity indicate.  I would even like to see "coloring book" tapestries with predefined areas for the player to color according to his taste, material quality, and skill.

Functional tables and shelves with a limited number of attachment spots would allow people to decorate their homes more creatively.  Perhaps make the number of attachment spots depend upon quality like tool belts.

Operable window treatments (shutters and curtains) and period appropriate window glazing would go a long way to make houses look more alive.  Windows currently look more than a little like the eye holes in skulls.

Glassmaking skill that enables glazing and even stained glass has my vote for the next new skill implemented.  Lots of good ideas pertaining to glassmaking have been posted on the forum over the years.

Cooking is an existing skill with potential to add interest to the game by rewarding a varied diet.  Plenty of people never eat at all and there is currently no reason for me to eat anything other than meat + pumpkin meals for the rest of my life.

As for sailing, the quality of the ship and your expertise should both make a difference.   By actively working your ship you should be able to make it perform better than someone who hits the X key and goes to the kitchen to make a snack.

Finally, community events are crucial.   Rite of Spring for example, gives fellow worshipers a common goal worth collaborating over a period of weeks to achieve.   More of that sort of community event, made more difficult for sociopaths to disrupt, will contribute to keeping people engaged.

Here's a good plan...revert the cool "unstable source rift" upgrade.

• Like 1

Just now, Macadelic said:

Here's a good plan...revert the cool "unstable source rift" upgrade.

I know right, its causing an unstable premium payment effect

• Like 5

I don't think you can make people come back in large numbers with a few weeks of coding, doesn't sound realistic , sounds more like a way to get more bugs. 

Anyway...

A couple of weeks development:

Coloring of armor and boats, should be simple enough to do at least with tinting. Not so nice looking colors are better than no colors.

Long term:

Fighting mechanics. PvE fighting is boring in Wurm. I can't think of any ways to make it more boring than it currently is. This needs an overhaul. We need something else than just random spawn, stupid mobs who's only AI is to follow you and attack with one or two auto attacks. Things need to be more interesting. There also needs to be some kind of loot and rewards for killing things. Defended nests, small caves guarded by goblins with a treasure to be had inside etc. Sure this is a sandbox game, but sandbox doesn't have to mean there should be no content at all. The combat skills need more variation too, something that makes fighting more than just standing still and waiting for something to die.

• Like 6

Well, all fixes, tweaks and candy you are about to add to WO will leak to WU in an instant (if they arent there before). So the only real option for WO beating WU in any way is a welcoming and working PVP enviroment with a realiable and neutral service.

But then i ve never been to PVP so I'm the wrong person to make suggestions there.

• Like 1

I would like to see a much more complex taming system, where i could tame more than one animal, and actually use them in fights and get them to gain skill (including some FS, a champion creature is ridiculously weak when tame) maybe even traits, also to be able to name these pets (why not after a certain taming skill and creature skill)... maybe introduce the skill check in the path of knowledge ?

Bring meaner creatures to PVE something between a troll and a unique (maybe some of the Valrei creatures if making new ones is harder, i don't know how strong those are), something that can be slain by 2-3-4 experienced players, so it requires collaboration, and maybe with short aggro range and spawn far from starter towns so that new players don't get butchered by them..

Bring the cool metals to PVE, adamantine, glimmersteel, seryll, we see stuff for sale made out of them but we can't get them from anywhere.. maybe spawn a few veins in some areas.. or the above creatures could drop some lumps like they do on Chaos?

You really need to do something that will differentiate between WO and WU, and make the value proposition for playing WO better than WU (or at least not worse). But, with comments like that below from the news post on the WU release that becomes very difficult. Also ruling out the big things which would be  a more obvious differentiator is also a constraint.

It's because almost everything we develop for one game can and will be added to the other (things like graphics updates or new features,) and so it seems logical to share the news between the two.

Something to kick start the in-game economy (trading) could be interesting, though item quality makes this more complex than say in a game like EvE. Prices need not be uniform across either a single server, or between servers. This could also boost travel, so would also need to be tied with some of the idea around travel time. This also help give a purpose to making items, other than gaining skill and the odd sale for those able to make items of a quality other players will buy.

I find the idea of including an element of deed up-keep in the cost of premium. But, in itself it does not contribute to building a community. How about adding the ability of selectively applying different permissions to part of a deed? This could help with some of the problems that appears to exist with distrust of apparently new players (are they really new, or a griefer out to exploit other's trust). Think of something like a burgage plot.

But, only real long term proposal would be to look towards a major game update - including new graphics engine, 3d mines, vastly improved both the PVP (fighting) and PVE (anti-griefer) reliability and service - and think very carefully which changes don't fall into the almost everything that make it to WU.

Well, yes. All steps that are purely updates and changes in mechanics and game features we mentioned will be in WU as well so will not make WO more attractive.

What can make WO have an influx of NEW players is something which is possible in WO only - need to somehow take advantage of the already existing community, staff and/or economy.

From the previous pages:

Basically the "noob firendly" steps might work quite well - personally like the scenario idea a lot (choose between a farmer, explorer, etc.,etc. and let them have a fun and interactive first steps tasks as tutorial, and the periodic free prem handouts on new accounts to have the new players feel the difference being a prem.

Also the revamp of the acc structure can make some good to keep existing subscribers and get new ones - having a single paid account with a defined number of possible prem characters attached to it.

On the other hand changing skillgain and tedium might drive away some existing players: I myself don't really like the easy skillgain on WU after playing a few weeks there as I don't have the relief and pride of accomplishment.

• Like 1

I would suggest expanding your Marketing program as number one priority and target specifically Players that AGREE with MMO RMT like what Wurm allows and like other games such as Second Life and Entropia Universe. Those are the customers that will agree with what you're trying to do here Rolf, not the regular MMO Players like me. The regular MMO Players want fairness and no RMT and no griefing and I know those are not key focus in Wurm Online.

Most importantly try to find Players of "Like Mind" to the long term Players you have now or you'll get a Player like me that starts Wurm and may stay for a while but will eventually quit not because of anything you did Rolf, but because they don't have much in common with (can't get along with) your core group of Players that like PvP and "player freedom/ability to "affect" others" and RMT. Players that don't share common interests and outlooks aren't going to get along together well in a community of this size. I was the wrong kind of Player for you to get Rolf. If you look around you will see what kind of Players to seek out for your game, and Players like them are who you should be hunting down as customers.

Good Luck Rolf and Staff and Happy Yule Tide.

I wouldn't focus on getting players back from WU, but rather just attracting, and most importantly retaining, players in general. I'm actually a bit torn by this thread, on the one hand I think 'great, Rolf genuinely wants our opinion', on the other hand I think 'wow, Rolf doesn't even know what he wants from his own game'... Let's hope it's the former :D

So anyway, there have been lots of great thoughts and suggestions here and in the suggestions forum, so I will try not to just list all those cool things I;d like to see but focus on a few fundamentals... here's my 2 cents:

1.  Tutorial/new player experience.

I've been playing for about 7 months now, but this is not my first crack at the wurm whip, I also played about 5 years ago.  If it hadn't been for that past experience (which interestingly saw me get bored and leave) and my willingness to read up on the forum/wiki, I would have quit this time too for sure.  The new player experience is pretty dire.  As has been mentioned by others, you really need a better tutorial.  I suggest one that actually gets players to perform tasks and teaches them the fundamentals as a result.  In addition, by completing these tasks the player should get some extra helpful starter items and general advice as a result.  The starter towns should also get some cosmetic love to help with that first impression.

2. Premium and deeds

It's obviously for you to do the maths and work out if you can offer cheaper prem, but even if you don't reduce the price per se, consider the following: Offer some better 'meal deals' in the shop, combining prem time and silver coins above what is already there, perhaps even have an offer of the month where one of these deals is discounted by 25% and stuff.  Also, wrt new player retention.  Each prem account should get one special deed stake which sets up a basic deed for free with 1 month of free upkeep (expansion and templars would cost coin).  This would make it easier for new players to get established and start earning some in game cash etc.

3. All the little things

I use the term 'little' here knowing that they are not all simple things to add/fix. But really, all the little bugs and suggestions people raise do need to be fixed to enhance quality of experience in wurm. Despite what hardcore PvPers may say, all the cosmetic items particularly are incredibly important for player retention - They really do add to the game even if they don't technically do anything! Wurm is renowned for it's terraforming open world building mechanics... so exploit that, give us more options! If I couldn't decorate my house I would also have quit this game (see point 1), but we always need moar!

4. WU vs WO

I get why you released WU, but they should be supported differently to differentiate between them and their players.  I suggest encouraging modding into WU, but not releasing new content for it.  WU gives people freedom to play how they want, essentially for free, but as a result if they want more than vanilla they should use mods and have to work a bit for it.  Whereas in WO, I pay constantly for the game, so I want rewards for that beyond just permanency.  Give WO new wall and floor types, boat textures, statues, taxidermy and etc etc. Make it an appealing product that offers different benefits to WU.

5. More involved crafting

This one directly contradicts your request for easy stuff to implement, but I think it could drastically enhance the game, so I'll include it here, but hide it in spoilers.

Spoiler

Wurm requires 2 things, Creativity and Patience.  There is no real player skill required, I would love to see this addressed.  As an indi developer who has a niche market crafting game, I assume you have come across A Tale in the Desert before?  If not, you should have, although I'm not sure if it's actually still live any more.  Point is ATITD was a player driven crafting game, so had some fundamental similarities with wurm.  However, one thing it did which was great was have some crafting implemented as mini games which required player skill to do.  So you actually had to run the charcoal furnace to maximise the output.  It was a simple but clever challenge.  Likewise blacksmithing actually had a 3d interface where you used various tools to shape a block of metal into certain shapes which represented the tool being made (in a slightly abstract way).  The more accurate you shaped it, the better quality the tool was.  There were also various other cool things like customizable puzzles and freeform sculptures that players could make to really add individuality to their deeds and give another reason for players to want to visit other people to see and play with their stuff... 

I know this idea is pretty drastic compared to the current loading bar set-up... but please consider it.

I have every faith you can make wurm awesomer, keep up the great work Rolf and team.

On 12/1/2015, 6:01:55, Pandalet said:

Some easy wins would be more horse colours - see the excellent recent thread.  I wouldn't have thought just adding in all the proposed colours would be very difficult, and it'd make horse breeding much more interesting.

The biggest advantage WU has over WO is cost - premium, deed, mail, etc.  WO would be so much more attractive if premium were a bit cheaper, and day-to-day costs were lower - 10c (or 20c) per item mailed is pretty steep, especially for newbies. 

Also, everything should be mailable, and inter-server travel should be much less painful - either make sailing a whole lot faster (higher QL, WoA on boats, whatever) or allow some form of portal system.  Servers don't need merging, but it should be a whole lot easier to visit the far ones.

Adding to what Panda says, add a tiny deed to premium. By tiny I mean 5x5 (11x11), non-resizable, non-movable, square from the center where you plant it. Call it a homestead. You can't hire templars and you can't accept villagers. The homestead marker should not include a bank either. Set structure and fence decay active but a point much slower than wilderness. There should be no benefit of the removed decay in storage as with villages as you actually have no upkeep so you actually have no 30 days or more to trigger the benefit. You would want it to be a safe tiny plot of wilderness that has relatively little convenience. It's upkeep is part of premium. If you lose premium, the deed pops - no ifs, ands or butts about it - and you can't get it back. The second your premium expires, the deed is gone and you cannot get it back. If you join a village as a citizen, your homestead is forfeit and, again, you can't get it back. Make it so it can be disbanded but with the same restriction of never coming back.

To make a village (the kind of deeds we have already), activate your deed stake and apply it to the homestead marker. Your homestead turns into a village and premium upkeep is needed to maintain it. It gains all the benefits of an actual village. When you make your homestead into a village, your homestead is gone. You won't get one back. So if you disband your village, you are now a nomad or whatever. 

Shinies. Other games out there attract a lot of people who collect shinies. They have whole markets revolving around shinies and the shinies can be quite lucrative for them in the shops. Cosmetic outfits that replace the noobie/naked outfit. They have no armor/combat value. They simply replace the wemp clothes. Add a slot to the paper doll, drag one into it, change your look. Other things that are currently not used or little used are capes, masks, and shoulders. Add a cape that a player gets for reaching some hard to obtain skill number. 90 in weaponsmithing? Show it off with a purely cosmetic Cape of the Master Weaponsmith. Make some of the cosmetics craftable. Make others milestone achievements. 

Why people quiting?

1.Cheaper Wurm pay once no more monthly fees no more silver cost.

2.Playing on private servers with friends.

3.servers are modable some having faster skill gains with out having to go play epic.

4.Moding community more updates of what others want in there wurm experience. Which is different than WO where it's fixed for everyone across the board.

5.Soon will be lot's of new models of animals, buildings, furniture, etc... soon as others learn how to add models it's around the corner. Faster if I make a video and show them how.

Every thing players wanted in the WO that was turned down will get added to WU over time Steam boats, Wheat grinding windmills etc....

reading threw all this one stuck out someone mentioned boat speed, boat textures paintable well this is modded already even using old wood texture boats. What gets rejected in the WO community will not get rejected in the WU community.

Above was mentioned WO having things WU don't get well hard to do when you post WU will get same updates as WO. Try DLC it will fail now at this point and Rolf will paint a bad name for his self so that went out the window.

The only thing that can be done at this point is to butter up the payed sub and that is buy adding more to having one lowering price not just on sub but silver. He could even make a new server with a in game econemy not based on world dollar to help bring some of them back and some new players who don't like the RWMT system. 

Remember people played WO cause it was the only way to play it so they delt with RWMT payed sub's and buying silver buying land paying land upkeep fees. Now with WU that is now all over. WU got ride of one of the worst features that keep alot of players away and some players bouncing in and out.

If he tries to update better graphics for WO that wont get released to WU that don't stop WU moders from making there own and it don't stop WO players from experiencing new lag from there older pc's trying to push higher texture Quality.

There is not much we can say that can help to be honest.

• Like 3