Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Plan for a Plan

would really like to see nathan have locate soul seeing as every priest in the game is supposed to have it due to balance patch about a year ago and he is the only god without locate soul.

• Like 2

For the current players.

Travel times! Faster Sailing a must.

I don't just want faster sailing or a round world. I want to hit a server edge and have it ask me what server I want to go to.

So sailing west on pristine I should be able to land on the appropriate coords on any servers east coast. The same for south, east and north.

No on deed decay! I happen to be pack rat both in RL and in game. I have multiple deeds on multiple servers with multiple premiums to take care of deeds. The amount of time I spend repairing things on a deed that I'm already paying a monthly cost to upkeep is just to much.

Anything else is just new stuff! new building types, new decorations, new options, we just want something new to make, build, play with.

More uniques to hunt and kill. Faster spawn time on these guys.

Sandbox!

Lets us have the freedom to do more. Get rid of those type of tiles we can't remove, can't make, can't change or do anything with.

Let us pack, pave, dig, level up where ever and when ever we want.

New players.

Need to start off with a decent weapon and a decent skill in that weapon. A newbie buff that gives them the equivalent of armor protection so they can fight a rat or mountain lion for that pelt they need.

Lets break aggressive animals counts into three categories.  Let each category have it's own max number.

1. Newbie Above Ground Aggressive.
Mountain Lions, Rats, Wild Cats(not sure what else should be considered a newbie mob). These should always spawn for newer players. I even support the idea of a Arch GM laying down a protected spawner by starting spawn towns so that these mobs would always be close to starting areas.

2. Above Ground Aggressive.
All other aggressive mobs counted here that are above ground.

3. Below ground Aggressive.

No more having trapped mobs count towards your above ground max aggressive.

Faster skill building  till you hit 21(or 30 but not more then 40).

Lets get the players hooked on what is wurm before it gets to grindy.

Timers.

Mixed feelings here. I play multiple accounts so the timers have never bothered me. It does seem a turn of for newer players. So there might be room for improvement on timers.

Deed cost.

I currently have multiple deeds. If deed upkeep was lowered I would expand 2 of the many that I own. It would be a savings for me monthly but a loss for Code Club. I don't know if lowering deed upkeep is a answer to income.

Premium Cost.
Between Hubby and I we pay for 6 Premiums monthly from the shop. If the cost was lowered I do not think I would be increasing this. But I know others that would. Instead of lowering the monthly. Increase the savings on purchasing more then one month at a time.

Micro-Transactions.

CodeClub  is missing out on what I think is a great source of revenue. Let us buy things from traders and the shop that have no to very little game value. Cosmetic items, visually different versions of things we already have but that you can only buy the recipe for from the shop.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, silakka said:

Ill list a few things that would make me personally come back (not talking about majority, very personal opinions)

#3 - Idk if this affects old players, but it was always very upsetting for me how hard the game was for the new players and it requires a lot more focus.

Yes please - new users need to get hooked. It is absolutely fine if the game gets hard after they are already fallen to Wurm. The intiate quests seem to be a great idea, but maybe longer to code than the provided timeframe.

#4 - game becomes absolutely boring when everything you see will die in seconds and wont even scratch you and theres nothing new that you havent seen, so add some extreme hard personal achievments with rewards for the real tryhards

Absolutely agree. Nothing less than 5 trolls are a challenge on PVE for a developed character except uniques which are impossible in solo.

#5 - implent a second alternative for skill timers, like finishing tiny puzzles while you do things instead of watching 15second timer with your eyeballs falling asleep. Make it that you can enjoy 1 account to fullest with it being more interactive, because many just make 2-4 extra accounts to play with or play another game on the side / watch youtube as the boring timers go by.

Puzzles might give bonuses - to timers, little skillticks etc.

#6 - fancier isnt always the better way, so dont focus too much on making things fancy when simple can be just as good or even better.. ive seen too much focus on very useless things that took too much time (for example the new lightning system and new textures which made dyes look like ## on objects and it was impossible to have +20people in one place without lag)

In my opinion fancy things are hooks for a large percentage of players, let them be and more to come :)

#7 - Upgrade your website market, sell cosmetic crap like CS GO has.. theres people paying 500euros for a simple knife with nice textures which is just as good as a normal one, you can surely make a same kind of version of this for your sandbox game.

Can be done on special ingame traders as well, would remove some active currency from the flow slowing the constant drop of the prices and generating more RL cash income to CC.

#8 - This one is for you Rolf, actually go and interact with players and play the game, theres nothing more awesome if people could actually see you play and do things with them, you could also discuss with them in live what they personally enjoy.

Absolutely agree.

Sorry for hijacking your ideas Silakka but these points started my brain ..

• Like 1

Not to be contrary, but the one thing I'd recommend is essentially the opposite of what Ohana said.

Deeds are already cheap, and it's already really easy for PvE players to assert total control over their play environment, and the world environment itself. If anything, I'd like there to be more stuff outside player control, and more environmental dangers. Right now, my biggest problem with PvE in Wurm is that there's basically no "E" involved. Dangerous mobs are hard to avoid, every areas gets highway'd with guard towers, you can't die of hunger or thirst so "survival" isn't really much of an issue. The gods do nothing, there are no dangerous weather or geological events, and no reason to secure your deed aside from maybe having a guard tower someplace.

Basically, I'd like PvE to be challenging in its own right, rather than heading even more in the other direction. I understand this is not what everyone wants, though. Ohana wants a more sandboxy style of play with total control over the

If anything, more dangerous and more expensive deeds would encourage freedom players to actually live in villages as intended(?), rather than the little one-man fiefdoms everyone seems to start up.

I'd really like to see priests changed in some way, or at least get the characteristic nerf removed. The way it is now, the incentive basically isn't to "play" a priest, rather to just have them sit around praying and/or grinding channeling all day and cast spells when needed.

EDIT: I would also REALLY like to see the chicken egg cap raised on larger servers, or (probably better) tied to max animal population per-server. Right now, it's set at 1000 everything, which is obviously not fair to larger servers. It also opens the possibility of someone griefing a server by sticking hundreds of eggs in a magical chest and preventing other people's hens from laying eggs, but I don't know what the odds are that anybody would do such a thing.

Edited by Ostentatio

Thanks for the chance to provide ideas, Rolf.  You rock!

Create a tool for GMs to create random encounter dungeons, such as short tunnels with a mine entrance and a small scary tower in front.  Invisible spawner based on unlooted chest inside, with some random single use treasure of no real worth, but fun to use, perhaps a few potions, some copper coins, some lumps of iron, gold, and silver of decent quality.  Create a server event with region info on completion of spawner/chest.

Make night more dangerous, with creatures that spawn but sleep during the day, and come out at night.  Make them easy to kill during day, as they have some serious penalty to sight and hit chance in bright light.

Regenerate dirt on any decayed deed, even if this is a GM tool used in secret, to remove terraforming, such as an erosion tool.  Don't delete the precious dirt, but increase it slightly.

Create cave only creatures that cannot exist in sunlight, and take damage from it, that flee from fire or torches above 20q.

Create small easily killed passive bugs that drop material helpful to and easy to kill by new players.  Ironbeetle ( contains iron lump and large nails on butcher, with any tool)   Woodborrer (contains kindling and wood scrap on butcher)

Tweek the cave collapse system to respawn a bit more ore if no iron exists nearby.  Allow collapse of just ore within large open caverns, provided no items exist on that tile.  Don't collapse onto a forge and bsb, cart, horses.

Lower upkeep on minumum deed, just to allow new players to afford a templar at the 1s 5x5 price on PVE.  Base upkeep 50c for 5x5 or 1s with templar.  Keep 22x22 no templar at 1s.

Cartography skill to find your location in the ocean.

Prayer skill available to all players, or new players, to find thier location in the wilderness.

Mark your corpse location on the map when you die, provided it has not been looted.

Edited by Onyr
to say thank you and add some ideas.
  • Like 5

I have two travel related things at the top of my wish list that I think would make for more fun. 

Many people would get out and about and socialize more if they had more freedom to do so.  And many more people would be setting up merchants if it wasn't so 1) prohibitive to go back & forth to stock at a  market and/or 2) useless to set one up at their deed since they'd never see any traffic.

Faster boat travel for one. Lots of good ideas I've seen for that so I won't go into it in this post.

My biggie would be to add a portal system in addition to faster boat travel.  There is a game called Istaria that has one of the most unique, interesting, and efficient portal systems I've seen.  Something similar to theirs would be perfect imo.  (with a few differences of course since that game is level-zones based and Wurm is not).

The way it works in that game is first, most (not all) towns have one or more portals.  Each portal has it's own list of the places it will go.  Most residential areas have a portal in the general area that goes to one or more of the towns. Some people like to plan where they live depending on how close they are to certain portals, others don't care so much.  Some portals go to really far-reaching places, etc. (many you have to have traveled there once on foot & keyed to the gatemaster before being able to use it but, again, that's mainly because of it being level/zones).   Traveling is simply a matter of learning the portal system and how to ultimately reach your destination.

The way I see something similar being practical in Wurm would be to have (on the PVE servers) a portal in each starter town that goes to portals in other starter towns, and a few strategically placed in remote areas that go to the nearest starter town, (especially on Xan).  Have maybe one on each server that can go cross-server.  Allow riding horses and carts so that we can go out visiting merchants in places we can't easily visit now & carry our new goodies home, and/or carry goods to impalongs & faires, etc.

This way, travel would still not be instantaneous to anywhere and would still require some time and planning. Ships would still be needed for movement of large quantities and/or getting to the nearest area that has a portal, etc.  It would give a lot more freedom of movement and more opportunities for enjoying the social aspects that are possible in Wurm.  Ergo......more fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ohana said:

For the current players.

Travel times! Faster Sailing a must.

I don't just want faster sailing or a round world. I want to hit a server edge and have it ask me what server I want to go to.

So sailing west on pristine I should be able to land on the appropriate coords on any servers east coast. The same for south, east and north.

No on deed decay! I happen to be pack rat both in RL and in game. I have multiple deeds on multiple servers with multiple premiums to take care of deeds. The amount of time I spend repairing things on a deed that I'm already paying a monthly cost to upkeep is just to much.

Anything else is just new stuff! new building types, new decorations, new options, we just want something new to make, build, play with.

More uniques to hunt and kill. Faster spawn time on these guys.

Sandbox!

Lets us have the freedom to do more. Get rid of those type of tiles we can't remove, can't make, can't change or do anything with.

Let us pack, pave, dig, level up where ever and when ever we want.

New players.

Need to start off with a decent weapon and a decent skill in that weapon. A newbie buff that gives them the equivalent of armor protection so they can fight a rat or mountain lion for that pelt they need.

Lets break aggressive animals counts into three categories.  Let each category have it's own max number.

having trapped mobs count towards your above ground max aggressive.

Faster skill building  till you hit 21(or 30 but not more then 40).

Lets get the players hooked on what is wurm before it gets to grindy.

Timers.

Mixed feelings here. I play multiple accounts so the timers have never bothered me. It does seem a turn of for newer players. So there might be room for improvement on timers.

Deed cost.

I currently have multiple deeds. If deed upkeep was lowered I would expand 2 of the many that I own. It would be a savings for me monthly but a loss for Code Club. I don't know if lowering deed upkeep is a answer to income.

Premium Cost.
Between Hubby and I we pay for 6 Premiums monthly from the shop. If the cost was lowered I do not think I would be increasing this. But I know others that would. Instead of lowering the monthly. Increase the savings on purchasing more then one month at a time.

Micro-Transactions.

CodeClub  is missing out on what I think is a great source of revenue. Let us buy things from traders and the shop that have no to very little game value. Cosmetic items, visually different versions of things we already have but that you can only buy the recipe for from the shop.

I think the following things of ur list already should make the difference:

Micro-Transactions - Decorative items like weapons and clothing. 

Sailing/travel speed - Currently frustrated to go to another server.

Premium cost is my reason to go to WU since i cant afford it anymore.

Maybe Surface mining change it to normal mining.. 1 hit is 1 rock gone... This is probably the one of the worse things to come across as a noob.. or make it that the corner you hit rock u can mine it without clearing the area.

Edited by Devily
  • Like 1

If the goal is to try and recoup lost players then first step is to find where most people are leaving and focus primarily there first (likely Freedom) is this something you can fix with game changes?

You will probably find a lot of people have left due to general hermit style play they do, and the usefulness of a one time fee of Wurm Unlimited, or a local community moving their Wurm Online game play to Wurm Unlimited because it is cheaper. Anything that you end up doing will ultimately be fed into Wurm Unlimited anyway, so it's not getting people BACK to Wurm Online. (I'm not affected by the cost of the game, I have just paid a years premium with no intention of playing, I play to support my kingdom when required but the game is not enjoyable for me on a day to day basis anymore)

If Freedom is your main loss on players, then my recommendation would be to design new features that allows multiple players to take part of where the experience is BETTER if you play on Wurm ONLINE. Something competitive where it costs the player nothing is usually a good thing, whether it's PvP related or something different. If this requires an arena, or area to take place the best way of implementing it which will make people use it is via portals, rather than having a specific server it's sitting on - no one wants to sail 2 hours to take part of things.

If it's PvP servers causing the main loss, my *personal* recommendation is to look at the current 'meta'. People tend to eventually leave when the meta has been figured out and it's stale generic gameplay. People realise you're more likely to win if you have X, you use X, make sure you've got X, you need to do X. I won't mention specifics that have been beaten to death but developers are always changing things to stop people having a specific 'meta'. With the style of gameplay sand sandbox this game has, it's really hard to keep people on a pvp server when you come home from work and your town has been flattened and all your items gone but I suppose that's why PvP is niche in this game and the only people who play it are those who are happy to accept everything can be lost. (also look at all the features that encourage snowballing).

Edited by MetalDragon
  • Like 1

Round world, definitely! 

Some sort of warning and okay button to press when crossing servers (I know I'm not the only person losing horses at weird uneven server borders.)

I'm not in favor of anything that makes the game easier or cheaper, but I wouldn't mind more quality of life stuff: mushroom and fish storage, healing covers in the crafting menu, dirt going into piles, not pockets, leading domestic animals (and hell horses) through the water. 

Server lag. It's rough sometimes. 

Advertising, definitely. No one knows about this game! I'm trying to lure some old players of *ahem* another rather hardmode/crafting heavy game, and they have never heard of this one, despite being big fans of MMOs. They have heard of even the other smaller MMOs and not Wurm. It's a shame. I really wish Wurm Online had gone to steam. 

And finally, a month automatically renewable subscription and a payment page that looks less shady. It would make everyone's life easier if there was a system of renewing each month and there'd not be that moment of "should I renew?". We'd probably have to go to some new payment processor, but I really think it would help make Wurm look more stable and professional. 

• Increase boat speed 2-3x and have the min speed no less than 15km
  •  Increase skill gain on Freedom from levels 0-50 by 2x; decrease all timers by 33%

Edited by Atlas

1. Player character height option (short, medium, high) on PVE servers

2. Crossbow

Give both the PvE and PvP sides incentive to play for something. Something to strive for. Hell, even make leader-boards in-game/on the website for most items created, money in bank, highest rank (rank reset every year). change how rank works, like make it so if you're on the leader-board you have to fight and kill players in order to maintain it, not through capping towers/pillars. If you are not on the leader-board then your rank will decay if you don't gain any rank within x amount of days. this is just an example, but just something to play for instead of creating random deeds and structures everywhere because you can. Put a cap on PMK's, One giant PMK put's down any other ones because everyone is going to obviously join the biggest kingdom because who wants to be the underdog. To fix that, lower the PMK requirements (they're like 15 people now right?) down to 5 to create. and able to have up to 30 people. If you exceed that amount you have a huge CR nerf or something and all your guards are weaker as well. Enable alliances, but if you're in an alliance none of the titles work (even priest titles). Have simple daily missions or something, like kill 5 wolves, cut down 5 birch trees, mine 300 rockshards, etc.. Once you finish those missions you get like 50copper or something and you can only do them every 24hours.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jaz said:

Ship and cart speed based on ql.  Ships still lose permission  settings from time to time a fix would  be awesome. 

Ability to sleep in caves - for the Dwarven souls 

Let the world be round

9 hours ago, Jaz said:

Oh and the long  awaited new shader please to bring back wood type variety on items 

7 hours ago, sandyar said:

Make game world recover from quitting players faster by:

expand increased decay to not only include houses but all managed items like carts, boats and containers, when player not logged in for 6 weeks.

Let terraformed landscape that is left untouched recreate itself, auto disbanded deed explodes and wind changes landscape back to more like original

General increase off deed item decay.

all this to avoid need for more servers and spread already low population.

7 hours ago, Kegan said:

As bad as it sounds a new server always brings back new players and gets a renewed interest from current ones. I would suggest a new separate cluster with faster skills and timers but a pve one to help people transition over from WU and give an option to the older players too if you were going to do something new.

Maybe even an adventure like server with a portal teleport that the developers/GMs can modify and hold events on or something. Have home sever/s that the players can live on full time with a resetting server that you can tp too or sail that can be reset and changed for new events or adventures so we get the feeling of a new server once or twice a year but have a home base and keep our skills/characters/items on the home server while you work on the next server event for the event server. 

On existing servers..

1: For me moving animals around that cant swim is a big one.

2: New wall types provoke people to build more and gives them something new to do.

3: Faster boat travel has been a big want for a long time

4: A global auction NPC where we can buy and sell from would promote trade in a huge way and get the economy going again.

6 hours ago, KillerSpike said:

+1 for sleeping in caves

+1 to let us add doors inside a cave. (I think PvE servers only)

+1 for Faster Boat Speeds

+1 for faster Carts

+1 for Horse Saddle Bags

+1 For Name Changes (maybe ask 5s for that)

Maybe a new Type of ship to carry non swimming animals across water.

Portals between allied Villages. (Allow carts/wagons with load through).

10 hours ago, Lundu said:

I like the 2 months prem time in WO if you purchase WU. Some sort of gift card

So many Great suggestions here, a few that caught my eye the most are above, and I did not even read them all. 

Let players specialize @ 100 skill Such as fine carp or weaponsmith increasing max cap to 105.  This should only work for 1 skill. Add new items craftable over 100 skill. Similar to UO

• Like 6

Items of interest that I could come up with top of my head:

• Connectivity to WO servers via the WU client 
  • Reduce the cost of Silver Coins
  • Fix Xanadu's Creature Spawns
  • Increased ship/cart/wagon speed
  • More options for Walls/Items/Fences/Furniture
  • Revisit the required materials for Walls and Items
  • A method to change Walls to Windows and vice-versa
  • Saddlebags for horses
  • Boat Docks
  • Boat cargo holds that are accessible from a wider area on and around the boat
  • Loading Animals into larger boats for transport
  • A practical method to create/destroy clay/marsh tiles
  • Like 2

Thank you for opening up for another round of feedback from the players. This is always appreciated!

My suggestion is as such. Review the subscription system for WO.

Now, let me state right off the bat that I am not complaining about paying fees to play Wurm. I am quite fine with the few Euro I need to spend per month and I fully understand that a company which provides such an excellent service as Wurm needs to have a healthy profit. Otherwise, the developers would go elsewhere in search of jobs and we would not have Wurm. So, this is not a point about how expensive or cheap Wurm is in relation to my pocket. But, you asked for what we think would attract more people to WO, so here is my opinion.

Currently, WO is in some ways competing with WU. We - the old players - know the advantages of WO over WU, mainly the stable servers, longevity of servers, large economy, encompassing community, etc. However, an average gamer who just stumbled on the Wurm world will rarely consider such benefits. To them, the choice will be simple. Make a one time payment for WU and enjoy a FREE private server. If they chose the right server, they will have an experience and play for a while, but if they don't, they will just abandon the game and move on to something else. In today's world, the free private server model is becoming very widespread, so an average player is already familiar with it and is more likely to chose it over WO.

In terms of profits, only you know what makes more sense. Players who chose WU over WO will - after all - contribute financially as well by purchasing the game and that will allow further development of Wurm. However, since you are talking about attracting people to WO, I think we must consider the fact that WU, in a strange way, becomes a hindrance in the WU vs WO player distribution. Tweaking the payment model may appeal to more gamers. Here are some ways which - from my seat - may help out.

1. Lowering of subscription costs. It may attract more people who would otherwise not join WO because there are free WU servers out there.

2. More benefits of subscription on WO, compared to no additional benefits to joining WU. Perhaps the WO characters would come with extra something that makes WO so much more desirable to a new player.

3. Removing subscription costs. This is a drastic measure. Putting CC income aside, it may create other problems like griefing and player management. But it's definitely viable to attract more players... if only a bit risky.

4. First character free, full subscription for alts. I am not sure if this is even enforcable, given that tracking alts may be an insurmountable job, but I thought I would throw it here just in case there is a system of tracking in place.

I am not sure if any of the above are viable for CC, but I do believe that WU will be leeching our new players away from WO. If bringing players to WO is the goal, then one strategy needs to address this leech.

In any case, good luck in your upcoming projects, no matter what you chose. I am already looking foward to them :)

5 hours ago, Cecci said:

tgod, you don't seem to know that the timers/skilling are coded different in WU.

Doesnt matter how they are coded, im not willing to lose all the grind time I have put in for other players to skill easier.  This will further destroy the market.  WU is basically like using cheat codes, I knew the day would come when ppl start crying about timers in WO due to WU.  once again -1

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, tgod said:

WU is basically like using cheat codes, I knew the day would come when ppl start crying about timers in WO due to WU.  once again -1

I suppose that even thou you have now quoted me twice it is Rolf you say to that his WU code is cheating.

18 minutes ago, Valdor said:

4. First character free, full subscription for alts. I am not sure if this is even enforcable, given that tracking alts may be an insurmountable job, but I thought I would throw it here just in case there is a system of tracking in place.

I would say the contrary might work better, full sub for first character, discount on the alts.

The family here pays for 8 characters, some of part time only - might be tempting to pay full time with a discount.

Edited by Jaz

16 minutes ago, tgod said:

Doesnt matter how they are coded, im not willing to lose all the grind time I have put in for other players to skill easier.  This will further destroy the market.  WU is basically like using cheat codes, I knew the day would come when ppl start crying about timers in WO due to WU.  once again -1

Absoltely. Leave skillgain and timers alone - too much pain to change now.

• Like 2

Bringing back old players is one of the thorniest problems out there because everyone had their own reasons for leaving and often the reason one left is the direct opposite of another. There are often cited reasons which we shouldn't have to raise again, they should already be on the ideas wall with a "how to fix?"

For PvE the biggest issue I hear is griefing and of cases where the individuals causing it get away with it because there wasn't a GM to see them do it. So improve logging, look at ways of detecting the douche-bag actions and then publicly smack them down so people know that the toe-rags will not be tolerated.

For PvP, at least to me, the biggest issue is time. In other games most PvP activity happens in instanced scenarios so queue, jump in, (get) roflstomped, leave with(out) phat loot. In Wurm you get on your horse or in your boat, travel from your base to where ever PvP might be happening, hope to see some and eventually go back to base. For players with a short online game time of an evening, anything under 90 minutes then that is something that cannot happen in one day. So for them its reach PvP area hopefully within one days play, stay there several days and then another day to go home. So many activities that might need upkeep at your base deed go left undone, goodbye crops for instance.

Faster boats may be an option but I'd love to see a player created portal system  1:1 style so portals are like the ends of a tunnel (no 1:many) difficult to make, expensive to do the link and each use costs a charge on the linked portal, recharging is expensive too. Oh yeah on PvP servers you cannot use a portal if an enemy is in local of either end.

Going forwards I would also love to see as many of the hard-coded restrictions removed as is possible, these are the things which limit player choice. The kingdom templates for example, drop them. Only player kingdoms, with all gods, any alignment, let the players in the kingdom choose how they act and how their kingdom evolves, rather than have a kingdom with a high degree of cookie-cutter instead devolve it right back down to player choice and preference. 

11 hours ago, Rolf said:

I did, 30% negativity means we risk losing a lot of players so at the moment it's a no go.

Great call there Rolf +1

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Redd said:

Great call there Rolf +1

love this MR bandwagon

anything concerning future stability of PvP on Wurm instantly disregarded because hehehe "this threatens our precious turbonerd kingdom"

Edited by Huntar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Huntar said:

love this MR bandwagon

anything concerning future stability of PvP on Wurm instantly disregarded because hehehe 

Rolf asked for ideas.  Everyone has their perspective, and each feature suggestion has impacts everyone may see differently based on their perspective. :)  I have read some great suggestions here.  Keep them coming!