Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Plan for a Plan

I think a more immersive combat system is generally required.  Pvp is the main driving force of every Sandbox game out there.  First step would be to make it so you actually have to do something while fighting.  Instead of just letting your character auto attack.  There needs to be more room for Pvp'ers to be able to advance themselves and strive to be able to evolve as a player.  Current mechanics for fighting do not allow this in really almost any form other than blocking and footing.

More Wurm official events.  community events make people excited about the game.  As well as social aspects drive people to further continue playing.  I would say have custom arenas built that are on a monthly basis/monthly tournaments.  While then having grand tournaments once a year.

A capital city.  In every MMO players love to flock to capital cities.  I would say have a modified token system where you get to own a custom sized land plot.  Possibly even room for a market.  You should also be able to get there by a portal and not have to sail to it.

Increase boat speeds on non pvp servers

+1 for Dungeons

Also I would say offer people who have not played in 3+ months, cheaper WO subs to come back.  As well as stop giving people Yellow potions only to be replaced by something useful.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GiuseppeP said:

Connect all isles togethere in a round world.

i.e. from East Pristine to West of Chaos, or maybe Deliverance (or any other island). (just to have a better way to travel), and North Inde with south Celebration

Oh my god, this.

• Like 3

BUGS TO FIX:

• Animals being lost on server restarts.
  • Animals clipping off on edges or doors of buildings.
  • Lag and constant refresh.
  • Ship perms breaking.
  • Macs can't use GLSL shaders, and on some, tiles flicker.
  • Rain and weather lag and crash people - let us turn it off completely.
  • Enchanted grass is being trampled too frequently.
  • Server crossing bugs.

POLICIES TO ADJUST:

• No more on-deed decay of anything.
  • On PvE, no griefing, theft, or stalking allowed. No loopholes.
  • Let everything be mailed, and for cheaper rates.
  • All lamps should have less decay. NO decay in inventory, less decay for off-deed street lamps.
  • Surface mining is too slow. Triple or quadruple success rate.
  • Let us bank anywhere. Why do we have to deposit at home?
  • Boat travel is WAY too slow.
  • Let at least two people fit in a wagon.

FEATURES TO ADD:

• Messages sent to you while offline should be retained and deliverable.
  • GPS map available to those who'd like to use it.
  • Pack animals or small draggable carts, especially for newbies.
  • Mangers that keep food fresh, and allow animals to eat from them.
  • Bartender contracts to hold meals fresh and allow disbursal.
  • "Lunchboxes" to hold fresh meals in inventory.
  • Inter-deed teleport machines.
  • Animal transport vans/ships for small herds, and that allow inter-server travel.
  • Keyrings (like a bag of keeping but solely for keys)  so that they don't drop on death, and bags that will allow other things not to drop on death.
  • Purchasable personal land masses that could be shared with friends, and only accessible by locked teleport to and from mainland.
  • Bind "smile at" for ease of use with Wurm Assistant.
  • Gypsy wagon with working forge and altar and bed, and at least two passengers fit inside.
  • Method for automatic farm tending within deed tiles.
  • Time-limited buff that allows non-prems to bash ***only on their own deed*** regardless of Body Strength.  

(Some suggestions copied from other posts)

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Nordlys said:
  • Then i would simply make some of the key skills easier until a sertain point. Maybe carpentry, or just making planks and small nails, junk. Why do these things have to be a struggle for a new player? I bet most new players that quit does it before they have their first 1x1 house built. Also maybe zone out hard hostile mobs around the starting areas and keep it to wild cats and such. Maybe a total revamp of the whole starting towns/districts concept so that it welcomes and treats new players better. God, i would love to see those flourishing big cities full of newbies

Hi Rolf, I think this answers your player rention. I know many many players my self included who would have left years ago if it were not for players guiding me. How that is awesome but should not fall to the seniors. Simple idea? Make the starter town's usefull place forges with planted anvils there have a supply or iron from the bartender!! Sighns recomanding what to and not to do. Visit the bartender for some iron and food then make a few nails for a cart!! 

Adding Sighns with guided hints, usable (existing space), forges and iron on top of the starter town protection is extremely simple. I see you only having to adjust permissions on a building and adding iron to an existing npc and slap some signs down!!

He'll I bet you can even get residents to help if you ask

For us old school players. We need a raise In the skill cap new items added to each for 90 95 100 skill. This would give those reason to keep grinding along with sparking the market.

Booskii

Community Assistet 

Edited by Booskii
  • Like 8

The one thing that cannot be duplicated in WO that attracted so many to WU is not having to worry about griefing and players who are bored and just like to destroy things that are not theirs.  I love that Wu lets me play with who i want without dealing with the few players that made Wurm Online upsetting.  Also as they added more and more servers it only spread players out more and more so in WO there is not so much community spirit.  My last thing about WO that I don't miss is spending my whole day grinding skills so I could do some fun things, which by the time I got the skill I was already too wiped out to care. 

• Like 2

Shorten timers, comeing back from WU sure is frustrating when all takes like forever to make here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cecci said:

Shorten timers, comeing back from WU sure is frustrating when all takes like forever to make here.

Aww you played cheat mode and now can't stand the regular game... this was expected from wu... -1

• Like 5

I would say 98% of players hate the travel time of sailing.

My suggestion is drop the wind, give max speed for each type of ship. Speed could be controlled by raising or lowering the sails.

Wind could be a bonus factor if you want to keep it.

Sailing skill could go with it based on distance traveled. Characteristics I like stamina and mind speed.

• Like 8

tgod, you don't seem to know that the timers/skilling are coded different in WU.

Edited by Cecci

Keybinds for priest spells.

Keybinds for better/easier archery.

Why? To make the combat much more accesible. 

Its also imo very important to make the learning curve for new players less hard, most players quit in the first few hours since its very hard to start in this game. No clue how we achieve this but there should be done something to keep new players easier.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, LorenaMontana said:

Keybinds for better/easier archery.

If you use a toolbelt and use keybinds on that toolbelt it's solved.

But the combat now it's to easy, it's to less interactieve from the player becouse moust of it it's autocombat.

Edited by Aonime

Yeah more clothing/shoulder pads/capes unlocked through achivements. These features aren't going to bring new players just boost for the current players.

• Like 1

changes with big affects:

Small change: -Change timers to be action based rather then the WO Timer based. 

Small change: -Give all models a model, so no flying X's, no bag of ? etc. Even if its not its proper model, GIVE IT A MODEL! Errors ruin immersion immensely. 

Medium change: -New PvP Skill: Pickpocketing(Because who doesn't want to pickpocket AFK Friends hehe)

Medium  change: -New PvE/PvP Skill: Sailing(Quicker sailing/Ability to control more difficult boats)

Large change: -Redo boat, wagons, and cart containers. What i mean specifically is this:

Theres 50 large crates in the boat, All full with dirt. When you open the boat, instead of just showing x50 large crates it would just show x15000 dirt, Then a spacer below it with just for any other item you put in the boat. 

In addition you could right click the x15000 dirt and open all x50 crates individually.

Medium change: -Introduce weapon sheathing. Weapon sheathing is the ability to put your sword/shield away, such as on your back or holster. Aswell introduce a "Off hand" slot that would be your secondary weapon. Lastly, Make "Equip" have an action timer of an example number, 30 seconds/Can't be within 10 tiles of an enemy to change weapons otherwise you get the message "Your hands are too shaky to change weapons right now". 

HUGE change: -probably the hardest to do: Fix memory leaks already >.>     WU runs FAR better then WO ever ran, Whatever you did, do it to WO. (I got 30~ FPS in WO at most places, in WU i can have 30 to 40 people in local and still hold 55-60FPS on medium settings)

seriously huge change: -Replace your Staff and revise Game rules. Get rid of the toxicity in both to fix your community that already reached WU New players ears as "Toxic". I asked a dozen or so new players on Wyvern a few days after its launch, Asked them about WO And there opinion of it. A few only heard that its the subscription based version of this game, Others said they don't like the staff for several reasons like lack of transparency, unfair ruling, biased staffing, cruel rumors by staff abuse in both PvE & PvP, a few even mentioned Tonygreen.

Small change: -Make local radius dependent on time of day. Mid day = 80 tile radius. Midnight/1AM = 30 tile radius

Fix the entire fight system. Make it more dynamic and fun. Or similar to mount and blade.

make z toggle mouse mode or whatever to craft for the fight system to work.

• Like 1

More decorations, stair options that take up less space(IE U shaped and L shaped stairways, fix rarity glow on the many items that are currently missing their glows, finish up pauldrons and other vanity items

• Like 4

I'd like to see some features to encourage player interaction and community a bit more. Right now I feel that the limited chat options and the travel system (travel by boat takes ages) are some of the main obstacles. Some examples:

- Make boat travel smoother/faster, for example allow travel from any border to (any other border on) any server in the same cluster. This way each server is equally close to every other server, allowing many of the more casual players to travel a bit more often for community events, etc. For me some events sound very interesting, but when I can only play a few hours a day, spending 1-2 days to travel there and another 1-2 to travel back does not in any way sound like fun. The sheer amount of servers to travel through just makes it cost way too much time.

- Custom player made chats. Right now you can do this through IRC but this is not player friendly in any way. So instead create an in game method by which a player can run his own cross-server chat channel with a full suite of options (from password protecting it, to inviting/banning people from the channel). For extra usability, make it possible to invite entire alliances/villages to this chat channel. Whenever somebody joins a village/alliance part of the channel then that account would be added to the channel. This way even if that account travels to another server (on which he's not in the given alliance as alliances are server specific), he'd still be part of the chat channel. This allows alliances to more seamlessly exist across multiple servers, thus reducing the impact adding a new server has on existing communities.

- Portals in starter towns, connecting them to all other starter towns in the cluster. This allows for more easy travel between servers, but you cannot take animals, carts, etc with you. Thus it's really limiting on what you can bring with you, while at the same time being really useful for visiting friends without first spending several hours on a boat.

5 hours ago, Lycanthropic said:

low-low-low-LOW settings client: Something extremely bareboned, hardly any graphics, no textures, 5 tile radius rendering, etc.. something for people who have lots of priest batteries or alts that do other tedious work (or simply and alt they want to keep logged on to log chats during the entire day, who knows) and want to log in allot without having all their RAM consumed by the clients, something like a 50Mb or 100Mb(MAX) ram-using client (instead of the 400-900 ones we have now).

You can kinda already do this with the console command "setoption no_world_render true"

It renders only the UI, so your alt clients could that to drastically reduce their memory needs.  I think I had true and false bound to CTRL+F3 and CTRL+F4 so I could quickly switch it on and off depending on which client I was looking at.

- put all server on a grid and let us chose which one we want to sail to when crossing according to that grid (so crossing a server on the east border would let us chose one of the server east of that one, and end up on its west border)

- add a minimum wind at all time (sailing then ending up with no wind at all is highly frustrating)

- fix bugs that force you to exit and restart client so often (crossing borders, travel lag after a couple hours, embarking on a vehicule making you hang in the air....)

• Like 2

He says it's a short dev cycle of a few months and to not suggest anything absurd.

People suggesting NCPS and New engines

ok...

How about have someone rewrite the animation code to get rid of the mem leak?

Should take a few months at most.

Edited by Brunwulf

I believe less clicking would make the game more attractive, for instance, I have to flick open a fountain, then click to activate a barrel, then click fill on the water. Would be nice if I didnt have to open the fountain, and save a click. like I also have to open a bsb to put stuff in it, if I didnt have acced to take it out again, then dont let me drag and drop it in.

For future update, consider the negative impact before putting it in, the last updates have had alot of good things in them, but every time something negative stood out and took all the attention. spread positive vibes instead.

• Like 4

To the small but very loud group of epic players:

You've ruined your own lands, you'll not ruin mine!

- fix catapults, when you destroy something you should get a message saying so not that you are hitting a building each time you fire into a wall plan

- more siege options, say launching flaming balls of tar and pitch

this could be made an interesting siege mechanic, requiring camp fires, cauldrons and tar, higher catapult skills to use, effect would be flaming tiles causing damage to defenders or attackers (catapults can be used in both directions, force people to move there siege locations because the spot is covered in burning tar) for a short period

- I want credit for killing someone if I drop a rock on there head while catapulting and they end up getting killed

- passengers for wagons

- doors inside mines, rooms inside mines allowing the use of beds

- fix broken spells and equalize gender spells

- fix the memory leaks and random hard client crash's, this has cost me skills, items and money

- passengers for wagons

- fix artifacts so people may actually want to use them, seriously a 10 favor gain?

- more wall type options for building

- make more use of marble, statues, walls and fences

- create more uses for metals, zinc, tin, lead should have more uses

- building items should require more complexity 

A great example would be the smelter, it was made hard simply by upping the amount of bricks/clay needed, the graphic shows a cauldron and spigots, the construction should of required more items like a cauldron and metal parts (rods/bands). The same could of been said about the forge and fireplace, you have tools/pots/grates but none of these items go into the construction. This is one of the things that makes building a cart/wagon/ship/bed more fun, you need to build parts to add to the main construction

Rolf you did this to your self with creating WU, was the short term gain of money really worth the long term loss for WO? The cat has been let out of the bag, take a long hard look at the successful mods created for WU and implement the good idea's sooner.

It is a bad idea merging servers, you will alienate more customer base than you will gain. Your best bet is to do some marketing and attract more people to the game. Rather than looking at people's suggestions to merge there quiet low population server with someone else's, perhaps make some of these servers easier to get to, the map needs a round world. Think about the reasons why indy/deli/exo are so popular with the chaos population, it is not because the server's offer better living conditions, but simply quicker to sail to.

Edited by JakeRivers

Ill list a few things that would make me personally come back (not talking about majority, very personal opinions)

#1 - For me it was always a bummer that the old textures were trashed, so I wish we could choose to use old textures or new textures and i wouldnt see it harming anyone if the collision would remain the same.

#2 - Make achieving +99 skills easier and give a reward for it. I know getting 99 is easy, but 99-100 is not how it should be. (i know its very risky and not good to change old systems that everyone has used, but extreme times take extreme measures?)

#3 - Idk if this affects old players, but it was always very upsetting for me how hard the game was for the new players and it requires a lot more focus.

#4 - game becomes absolutely boring when everything you see will die in seconds and wont even scratch you and theres nothing new that you havent seen, so add some extreme hard personal achievments with rewards for the real tryhards

#5 - implent a second alternative for skill timers, like finishing tiny puzzles while you do things instead of watching 15second timer with your eyeballs falling asleep. Make it that you can enjoy 1 account to fullest with it being more interactive, because many just make 2-4 extra accounts to play with or play another game on the side / watch youtube as the boring timers go by.

#6 - fancier isnt always the better way, so dont focus too much on making things fancy when simple can be just as good or even better.. ive seen too much focus on very useless things that took too much time (for example the new lightning system and new textures which made dyes look like ## on objects and it was impossible to have +20people in one place without lag)

#7 - Upgrade your website market, sell cosmetic crap like CS GO has.. theres people paying 500euros for a simple knife with nice textures which is just as good as a normal one, you can surely make a same kind of version of this for your sandbox game.

#8 - This one is for you Rolf, actually go and interact with players and play the game, theres nothing more awesome if people could actually see you play and do things with them, you could also discuss with them in live what they personally enjoy.

#9 - second one for Rolf, I wish you would acknowledge how amazing your staff system is and the people inside of it who make this game what it is. You should interact with these people at least.

#10 - Make fantastic items easier to obtain, because right now they are absolutely impossible with improve and with 1/10000000000 luck you may create one with only create action. And on top of that add 1 higher extreme rare tier after fantastic items to make the market a little more alive / big spending.

#11 on topic of the game market.. theres too many rares and supremes which has made their value drop since 2-3years, so add a system that if you add 5 rares you have for example 20% chance to create a random supreme item from it and same thing with supremes in to fantastic.

Do  note that this is just my view of how the game should be taken forward and this is just what came in my mind at first.

• Like 1

I said this a little in my other post but wanted to post  it again with a little more detail added in...

New Cluster Idea..

• Faster skill and action timers (my suggestion would be 5x freedom maybe) 
  • Epic like portal that the existing players can use to get back and forth (separate skills/items...etc) 
  • pve and pvp servers
  • Event server run by the developers and GMS that can be used to have events, impalongs and to test new things

Event ideas  for new event server: (can also be added into the freedom cluster not just the new cluster suggested above) 

• PvP events (way to get pve players to try out the pvp without risk of losing their things or damaging their deeds)
  • Treasure hunts (just like we have now but easier for more people to get to using the event server teleport) 
  • Arena fights (fun for all)
  • Impalongs (let the players run them like always under the supervision of the GMs/Devs)
  • Building contests
  • Hunting events (exclusive event only dragons would be fun)
  • Testing new content or ideas
  • The ideas on this are limitless and gives everyone something fun to do

Even if you have only one or two events a year it will help renew the spirit of the players and with just a few events it would fill up a year pretty quickly. It would also give the players that play WU a reason to come over to the events and try WO and also help recharge the old players and give them something new to look forward too,  (when is the next event i cant wait the last one was so much fun) 

Let the players/GMs run event like they are now but more people would attend if they can teleport over to the treasure hunts or impaloings and then teleport back without all the traveling or scheduling needed. Maybe even have GM run dragon hunts with one of a kind dragons or something that players can only see/kill in these events. The ideas are limitless and sounds like a lot of fun. 

Edited by Kegan

3 hours ago, Jberg said:

Oh my god, this.

That suggestion was so old aswell, and always bumped / having new thread about it, but always seemed as ignored as the smelting furnace idea ;) which is now ingame?

• Like 1

can you fix nathan priests not having locate soul please

Edited by Worksock
w o w
  • Like 3