Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Plan for a Plan

4 minutes ago, Banzai said:

Freedomers won't leave if people from Epic come over, with their logic they worked too hard to leave. You're more likely to lose Epic people who don't have anything to do on Epic. 

So by your own logic, Epic players won't leave either because they worked too hard?

• Like 1

Ship and cart speed based on ql.  Ships still lose permission  settings from time to time a fix would  be awesome. 

Ability to sleep in caves - for the Dwarven souls 

Let the world be round

• Like 24

Fix the existing bugs.

Wagons go invisible, horses cant go down slopes etc.

A merge isnt a bad idea, would require a whole new map and changes to epic people skills. Would be hard to get everyone to agree on it :P

• Like 2

Scrap/Seriously reduce premium cost.

Implement new skills e.g. glass blowing , new weapons can allow new skills.

Add in new creatures/ variations of current.

Add in bounty system for spreading money slowly to phase out traders. e.g goblins and trolls give some coppers( a money bag).

Increase boat speed

New trait for horses : Goat legs - Allows it to climb bigger slopes (50% increase 40-60)

New weapons

New spells

New Armours (could implement scale mail)

Improve the taming mechanics and enhance the creature skill gains. Allowing players to train and equip new gear to existing mobs would be cool.

New climbing gear at x skill to enable faster climbing/lower stamina cost or regen when stopped while climbing.

New unique Creatures e.g. Kraken or Minator.

Increase the speed of creating/ imping specific crafting sets e.g. Horse shoes, Arrows. 

Increase the speed of digging, make them big projects a little less tedious.

New Artifacts for the Player gods

Remove the bonuses for kingdoms titles if in an alliance / reduce them by 50%  IF in an alliance (turn alliances back on)

Remove the silver upkeep from deeds replace it with a material cost(leave guard cost)

Remove tower conquering

Allow beds to work in caves + add cave building/wall/doors to create rooms.

Here is a small list of ideas, Mostly you NEED to add new content that will reinvigorate the game and then continue to do so. You have a million and one mods doing this, plenty of possibilities to get creative from.

edit

I would also make some adjustments to strengthen and create a more dynamic economy in wurm. If you need exact idea i have a few notepads full and would be happy to help design new content.

Edited by JockII
  • Like 19

Oh and the long  awaited new shader please to bring back wood type variety on items 

• Like 17

Short, simple and well supported ideas

• Like 17

Implement some mods from WU, like the Creatures Mod, all the coding and Skins are already done for you.

I would love to see the quality of an item be represented by its skin in the world - so a 20ql barrels looks shabby and a 80 ql one looks almost perfect.

Its a big task for the whole game, but just start with few items and implement more along the way.

Bring back Wood types! :)

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Lisabet said:

So by your own logic, Epic players won't leave either because they worked too hard?

They have been leaving seeing as all that was unique about the cluster has been taken and put of freedom , just look at the graphs .

Must do changes !

• Join Chaos West to Pristine East border. Also allow all things to be mailable. Mailing from chaos to freedom should be allowed, even if different kingdom. 
  • Also reduce COD to 2 and 5 copper. No meaning of paying 2 silver COD for a 1 silver armour. Also for new players the 20 copper costs a lot and it would be better if the person working on tool would get that coin, rather then it going to complete waste. 
  • No need to merge any servers or form any new one for now. All is cool, just fix the lag in public events . 
  • Also if possible its time we add the player location on ingame map. Will help a lot. These suggestions are a must and will make the playing experience more fun.

Thanks for making this post Rolf

Edited by Duderino
  • Like 2

An exploratory committee should be instituted to consider the guidelines for forming a framework for creating a committee to look into the possibilities of new game features. B)

As mentioned things like glassblowing and bees (with associated accoutrements) would be great.

Personally something enhancing the speed of ships would be awesome, especially in low winds. For example a Sailing skill with timed, interruptible actions such as raising sails, rowing?, tacking, and etc. Unfortunately only have basic nautical knowledge, so cant get in-depth.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 6

Heh, Rolf.. you need a vision.. you have no clue where to drive the game. So you made WU, which is eating your own playerbase.. Now you are asking for suggestions.. Last years changes have been basically copy-paste from the suggestion forums, how much it has helped, you can see on Wurm servers population graphs. Do you really think, that changing boat speeds(just random example) etc will change much in bigger picture.

But if you want a suggestion, make the client stop crashing.. this is not an excuse, that it is hard to find bug... and all those java memory tweaks aren't solution, when there is a memory leak, you don't send your customer to a shop to buy more memory (so to say). When a player comes and starts the game with a crash several times in a row, it is lost customer and makes you look incompetent(especially if this has been in the game for months now).

• Like 4

+1 to jocks post, especially the boat speed. its truly awful atm.

a better client launcher: Why not something more updated and easy to use like the battle.net app blizzard has? You can launch the app once, and it just stays there and you can launch the game from it. In a game like Wurm, where you have to relog every 30 minutes because of bugs, or have 5 clients up because of disconnects during pvp this would be a life changer until said bugs are fixed, and even then it would be a huge improvement to the current launcher

and just fix the really annoying client bugs.

1.I still suffer from mem leak even utilizing the java +mem argument while running 12gb of vram and 24gb of ram (hint, its not my system)

2. popping off horses when running into walls, horses getting stuck in walls after said popping off

3. horses/carts/wagons/people being invisible or appearing to be on tiles in which they really aren't

4. there is currently a bug, I cannot reproduce consistently or figure out why, but upon relogging and being on a horse you are stuck and have to disembark in order to move (perms issue probably?) its a very recently added bug

Just fix stuff like this that makess the game really unbearable for most people. I am sure there is a long list in the bug reports/suggestions threads

• Like 3

ok, but how will this go when the people who want the merge to go through stop paying their subs on top of the decline?

paying-year.png

well it looks like you're going to be losing a lot more than 30% lol

Edited by FranktheTank
  • Like 6

a good plan rely both on keeping the actual playerbase and gaining new ones.

many things have been said in many threads on how to keep the actual player base,

consolidating it, merge servers, change how they are linked.

faster travel time

less bugs

more of the expected content by the players (suggestion forum *hint hint*.)

premium, deed cost, silver spreading and generation.

proper customer services.

keep WO attractive compared to WU by events / specific game content if needed.

Gain more players,

the most needed advertisment,

bugs bugs and bugs fixing.

preset settings allowing a quicker fix of some oddities.

a real tutorial giving the new players the needed knowledge to start off properly.

maybe give in on some specific feature, the so demanded 3D view for example.

Diversify on the income,

New trader items : silver mirrors, name change, sex change : anything that is already well known in the MMo communities.

A real WurmOnline shop : art books, mugs, tshirt and whatnot wurmonline merchandise. If small webcomics / gamecompanies are able to do that why not wurm.

Subventionned items / items sales / free to play model.

• Like 4

You need to imagine where you want the game to be 5 years from now, set the goal, (don't keep changeing it), find the best path and start walking.

• Like 2

For many high end - or even mid level - players, is an end, nothing to motivate them to carry on after skilling like crazy. Since accounts can be sold/bought, and high end ones will always be in game, there need to be other incentives for players.

WU took out the mystery, nothing left to test or discover, because someone will pop up and offer you cold numbers dug from the code.

What WO needs (in my opinion) .. novelty

- new skills (meaningful skills, no milling or milking), maybe revamping some of the old skills, like pupeteering

- all servers are heavily terraformed and littered in junk left behind (planted stuff which cannot be taken away and takes forever to be bashed, 3/4 decayed houses but with a higher ql wall which lasts months before rotting and prevent people deeding).

(An idea discussed with friends, but they're not on to post themselves now) find a way for undeeded land to ''revert" to a wild, not terraformed stage. Make decay of items offdeed higher, or give us a way to dispose of junk faster

- fix bugs, fix bugs, fix bugs

- things to motivate players to go out exploring (small ''treasures", randomly added, not necessarily valuable ones, but "findings" are always motivational)

- IF some changes are to be made to improve traveling, I'd rather see Release connected to Exodus and Pristine connected to Independence, not to Chaos directly.

- as a last resort, merging smaller servers (Pristine, Release, Exodus, Celebration, Deliverance) into couple bigger ones (the size of Independence) could be a solution for too spread out population and lack of interaction between players (even though I'm not a fan of idea myself).

• Like 8

An object that can be placed on a flat mine tile that acts and looks like a door or gate with lock and permissions.

A mailbag, maybe the size of a backpack, with a fixed mailing fee of f.ex 50c.

• Like 2

So the way I see it, theres two issues(?); how to get old people to stay, and how to get new people to stay. Those two are completely different.

• First i would like to see a better campaign for the game. A simple google advert campaign is really cheap concidered the many eyes that will look at it. The referral program maybe needs a revamp aswell and can be done in the same handwriting.

• Then i would simply make some of the key skills easier until a sertain point. Maybe carpentry, or just making planks and small nails, junk. Why do these things have to be a struggle for a new player? I bet most new players that quit does it before they have their first 1x1 house built. Also maybe zone out hard hostile mobs around the starting areas and keep it to wild cats and such. Maybe a total revamp of the whole starting towns/districts concept so that it welcomes and treats new players better. God, i would love to see those flourishing big cities full of newbies!

• And for old players new stuff is always cool, but a smelter doesnt keep the old players. I like the idea of maybe revamping some of the useless skills like puppeteering to something much more advanced. Atleast something new thats more advanced than only one item that someone just build to make the first rare version of it. Maybe a new resource like Thorium ore or something that would be useful for every major skill out there.

• Theres also, in my opinion, a need for a better silver drainage system. Maybe a Wurm Online website shop where you need silver from ingame to buy useless(!) but nice looking things ingame. I dont have to explain to you that less silver ingame means more buying from you, Rolf.. :)

And now over to some simple modifications:

An ingame "visa" modification of the bank, where you dont need the actual money in the inventory to buy from merchant, trader and the new WO website store.

Speed on ships, carts and wagons depended on ql.

Edited by Nordlys
  • Like 2

Add rare glow back to large carts, large chests, coffins, and other items. But especially large carts.

• Like 3

Thanks for asking directly Rolf, here are my points in no particular order:

• Increase sailing speed: either connect it to a skill that can be grinded (10 sailing = +5 speed, 90 sailing = +20speed or whatever) or add 10km/h in every windtype to the existing speed.
  • Connect more borders: Make the "world" more of a round place, so more distant servers arent seperate by hours upon hours of sailing. (for example, going form inde to cele or release, is, well... lets say you need to find a solid amount of free hours irl to manage that)
  • Decrease the upkeep cost of deeds: You halved the founding cost of deeds, maybe upkeep could get some tweaking to (but carefull tweaking, so current deedowners who CAN pay for it monthly, dont suddenly double the size of their deed because now the can get double the size for the same amount of upkeep they payed in the past, how this would be tweaked, I dont know, would have to think about it some more).
  • Fodder troughs: A fodder trough in a pen. Could be filled with mixed grass/veggies/... and the animal, when it gets a hunger tick, would walk over to it, eat till its full, and then wander off again. Thus making it easy to feed your cattle and keeping them fed since they will go to the trough when needed.
  • Fish Storage: Simple, a way to store fish/fish fillets, be it in the current foodbin, or be it in a new item (smokehut for example).
  • Mushroom Storage: Same as fish(fillets) suggestion, a means to store our mushrooms in bulk.
  • Some new skills: Some fresh new skills to aim for grinding, something that can give the old players some more variety and give new players more option to aim for. Lots of good suggestions have been put up like beermaking, beekeeping, taxydermy, glassblowing, sailing, expand alchemy,... All with new items added that can be used ingame (or can have future use ingame should the timeframe be to short to get it all ingame in one go), like you added papyrus/reedpens/ink (with the papyrusmaking skill) and thatch/leggat (with the thatchmaking skill).
  • A low-low-low-LOW settings client: Something extremely bareboned, hardly any graphics, no textures, 5 tile radius rendering, etc.. something for people who have lots of priest batteries or alts that do other tedious work (or simply and alt they want to keep logged on to log chats during the entire day, who knows) and want to log in allot without having all their RAM consumed by the clients, something like a 50Mb or 100Mb(MAX) ram-using client (instead of the 400-900 ones we have now).
  • More unique butchering products for basic animals: Something to aim for when out hunting, like you had the inc-sacks on octopi for writing, maybe some other butchering stuff on bears/whales/trolls/scorpions/.. could be something like "scorpion scale" that gives an armour rating between studde leather and chain, or whale fat for a more potent version of the "farmers salve"..

And some more, but I'll add those in a lter reply, gotta get ready for work :P

• Like 11

If we want to attract more new players it means that there must be changes affecting mostly new ones form the moment they pass portal and land on starting town:

• change tutorial, make training areas like masonery workshop, lumbermill etc, where you get a task, for example: chop 2 trees and make logs, create 10 planks, or mine 10 rock shards and make some bricks. In this way new players gonna now the basics at start, without need to check everything by themselves or ask every person in local.
  • revamp starting towns, make them real small towns actually, with some tawern, pens for horses, houses for traders, town hall, small shipyard, shrines of gods (for example, look at Glitter on epic, it's just look like one building in the middle of fenced field). Make examples of what people can build in this game, of what can be achieved
  • expand starting inventory with some nails etc or make possibility to built some houses made of logs, without need to create nails, couse it's too hard for most starting players
  • new types of walls/fences/stairs/roofs etc., 50% or more of players of Wurm are settlers, make game more visuall pleasable for them
  • new types of windows, also  with metal bars, also with glass, make skill for making glass
  • make chain and leather more functional or restrict plate. For now, people can make all kind of activities in full plate set without almost no penalties. From my point of view people in plates should move much slower, turn slower, attack slower, and things like digging, mining etc should have increased stamina usage drastically, climbing should be almost impossible. That way mail and leather would be much more usable.
  • create some process of regenerating off-deed areas to the natural shape, if it's too complicated, hire for short time some new GM's and let them change areas to look more natural so new players gonna have more new spots for settling (look at all old servers, everything is highly terraformed and look ugly, and new players want to start fresh, find this nice hill or bay and built something)
  • create starting modes:
    • 1 - new in town - you start with basic equipment in starter town plus got basic armor (low quality plate or chain set)
    • 2 - survival - you start with crude or no equipment in random location, preferably far from starter town, got better buffs for avoiding mobs, and stamina/nutrition regain, also some leather amor and bow arrows for hunt
    • 3 - farmer - you start with basic 2x2 shed (got writ) some field 5x5 and barn 2x2 plus some tools related to farming in one of earlier created farms alligned to starting town or somwere else
    • 4 - wanderer - you start in random location with basic equipement plus a horse (special type wich can be used only with this character despite of low body control and is slightly slower than regular)
    • 5 - citizen - you start in predefined deed with other citizens, could be starter town or other town created only for purpose of citizens. You got writ for your basic house with bed, chest etc, got all basics covered (there is a water well in deed, workshop, blacksmith with forges etc. Of course all citizens start in the same deed. You are not allowed to terraform or modify things on deed beside your home. Option is that citizens can choose mayor who will have more privilages and can keep deed "clean"
  • make possibility of changing name and look/gender at least once for every account, this will benefit also new and old players, there is already so easy to buy new account so people changing names shouldn't be a problem
  • make possibility to hire npc's for daily shores. You pay for example 50s and have you worker with few modes:
    • assign him to the area (from the place you standing you give N/S/E/W coordinates like with deed creating), on this area he will take care of horses or other animals (brushing, breeding etc)
    • assign him to the area, on this area he will plant and gather plants, pick sprouts etc (need to have predefined cointainer with resources, for him only)
    • assign him to the area, on this area he gonna repair all available walls and fences (need to have predefined cointainer with materials, for him only)
  • make boats with sails travels faster
  • make caves more usable:
    • reinforced tiles makes you travel faster
    • make mine doors not-passable both ways
    • allow to sleep inside
    • allow to built doors, must be assigned to whole tile, cell not higher then xx slopes, tile must be reinforced
  • allow to place tokens inside of buildings
  • increase multiplier of slope for surface mining twice (so person with 100 mining could mine 200 slope, and beginners gonna have more possibilities)
  • increase number of ticks while surface mining

That's all for now, taken fast from the head, have to go : )

• Like 4

Some easy wins would be more horse colours - see the excellent recent thread.  I wouldn't have thought just adding in all the proposed colours would be very difficult, and it'd make horse breeding much more interesting.

The biggest advantage WU has over WO is cost - premium, deed, mail, etc.  WO would be so much more attractive if premium were a bit cheaper, and day-to-day costs were lower - 10c (or 20c) per item mailed is pretty steep, especially for newbies. 

Also, everything should be mailable, and inter-server travel should be much less painful - either make sailing a whole lot faster (higher QL, WoA on boats, whatever) or allow some form of portal system.  Servers don't need merging, but it should be a whole lot easier to visit the far ones.

• Like 8

My favorite bug: Can't open the boats cargo from passenger :/

Probably still my strongest idea is to do something like double time newbie buffs and do like 5x skill gain for that time. gets new dudes to log in to take advatage and they get hooked ;D

Can't think of much new things, some new skills would be good.

Edited by Omar
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Rolf said:

The primary goal will be mainly for attracting players back to Wurm Online in order to stop the current blood loss ...

Nothing can be done in the short term to successfully address this issue. The old tried-and-tested method of opening a new server for Wurm Online doesn't work any more - because WU just did that: opening a bunch of new servers, some of them with more players than any of the official ones (with the exception of Xanadu perhaps, but then Xanadu has a host of it's own issues: lag and "broken" mob spawning to name the most important ones).

Going forward I see two possible strategies for Codeclub, which one to pick depends on the financial situation of the company I know nothing about:

1. Concentrate on WU: Make WU better, fix bugs, try to drive sales, write success-stories, try to add content that can be sold as DLC, add new game mechanics.
  2. Start development of Wurm Online 2.0 (no character or asset transfer from current Wurm): A new WO, avoiding the pitfalls of the old one. Just to name the most important drawbacks of current WO: The difficulty curve where Wurm starts hard and gets easier and easier (it should be the other way round). The terra-formed mess and abandoned or emtpy deeds on servers older than 3 months giving new people a bad impression. The text-only fighting system. Wurm Online 2.0 would avoid these issues.
  • Like 3

how about some micro-purchase options... such as

1. bags only able to contain like 10 items and only tool size? or not based on size, but based on what item, like rake/pickaxe/shovel/knife and stuff, make it only able to hold the tools named that... and the bag is non-droppable?

2. horse saddle bags to hold items? i'd love to have a backup horse able to carry my bags of tools or something. 

3. maybe some quests that involve NPC's giving out some kind of defensive potion or offensive potion, kinda like the regular potion, but it specifally buffs the defense or attack? 

4. maybe potions that can buff spell dmg or attack, or defense, but cant be used at the same time as another potion? maybe lasts 5 minutes? good for pvp advantages. maybe obtainable via npc quests only or dropped from mobs only?

5. drop the premium membership in order to go above 20 skill lvl, and actually add some benefit of being premium? like maybe increased skillgain and go free to play? and have more micro purchases that maybe premium members would be able to not only get a discount on those purchases, but also the ability to pick 1 micro purchase once a month?

I'm sure if you asked, the players would give you a load of ideas for micro purchase options they would love to see in the game.

only thing you would have to worry about, is implementing a in-game shop that isn't a merchant, that players could whip out a credit card and purchase an item.... 

maybe even with micro-purchase shop, just lower the premium instead of removing the 20 skill lvl limit or higher the skill cap limit? maybe make it impossible for non-prem's to ride anything but a cow and remove the limit?.

I think Wurm needs something to happen. I for one don't want to see wurm die off.

• Like 1