Sign in to follow this  
whyttemoore

Flashing screen

I have an older computer (Gateway DX4840) and just installed a new GEFORCE GT730.  I've tried several games and they work fine, but whenever I go into WURM Online OR WURM Unlimited, as soon as the game begins to load at the title screen, the screen begins to flash rapidly.  Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started, please?

Sys Specs
Intel Core i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07 GHz
8 GB RAM
300 Watt Power Supply

700 Gig free on hard drive

300 watt was what the card called for.  I may change out the PSU.  Trying not to spend too much on me at Christmas time.

Upgraded the 300 watt PSU with a 520 watt and ordered a 750.  520 was the biggest left on the shelves (cyber Monday).  No difference.  I am only running an i3 CPU and a 300 watt video card.  Shouldn't that be  enough for at least a change in the symptom?  reduce the frequency of the flash?

I have a nvidia card too, some older type. There happens regularly, playing WO, that the screen begins to flicker when I start a second WO connection, or when I try to play the game eternal lands concurrently with WO. So I shut down either of the two games and start it again, no flicker anymore. Annoying...

Thanks WWW, but this is on my first connection.  I'm going to try a 750 watt PSU.  It has already come in.

OK, STILL NO GOOD! I'm beginning to wonder if this game is worth all this.  Is there a frame refresh setting that could be doing this?  I'm getting the same thing on WURM Online and WURM Unlimited

^ check for overheating

* go direct to NVIDIA to check if there is a newer driver, do NOT use the one that came on the CD or that is listed by gateway. Windows may have installed their generic directX drivers (which are not much good for OpenGL gaming)

What is the current driver date?

There should be a Dec 1 2015 64-bit driver for the NVidia GT730

(make sure this is the correct operating system for you)

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/96073/en-us

Usually 300W is fine for a GT730 as those are very low power cards, most use only 23-38W

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/1988/geforce-gt-730.html

likely only an issue of you have a ton of extra drivers and gadgets connected.

Many 250W PSU owners swear by this card as it needs very little juice. 

GT730 owners reporting flashing issues in other games/programs:

Also turn settings VERY LOW because the 730 is NOT a powerful  card. Start with these settings, see if the flashing stops,  then gradually turn things up:

(Start windows resizeable 800x600, give it a minute to load then extrend fullscreen)

The flickering might be caused by too high of settings. 

settingslow_01.png

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Maybe not related, but any Wurm client (WO&WU) on my Laptop (crappy intel chip) starts flickering after about 0.5 second in game. If I move around it becomes quite intereseting, to say the least. Unplayable. 

Minimizing, count till 5 and maximizing the window resolves it.