Sign in to follow this  
Zygus

Not getting "Server connected to Steam"

Having spent WAY too many hours on this now, I'm still not getting the final line of "Server connected to Steam" in the Wurm Server Launcher.

I'm on Windows 10.

Things I have tried:

Opened gaps in my Internet.

Forwarded ports on my Modem.

Changed IP addresses to 0.0.0.0

Turned off my anti-virus application to see if that was blocking something.

Re-verified files through Steam

Re-downloaded files from Steam

Tried launching through Steam, the WurmServerLauncher.exe and the Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server

Tried both Adventure and Creative

Probably a ton more that I can't think of right now.

Same result every time.  I have a working game to compare it to, and everything is the same except there's no final line of "Server connected to Steam" and the game cannot be seen anywhere.

REALLY hoping some bright spark out there can think of something basic I've missed.

Have you tried clearing both IP address boxes (there are two that are important), then close down and reopen and let Steam try to automatically identify the correct IP addresses for both spots?

Are you using any mods?

Do you have any sory of "virtual network" software that might be confusing Steam as to what your official IP address is (compared to addresses for other devices/virtual software)

WU has two different "server" files, one that came with the game and one that is downloaded separate, their file locations are:

\steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited\WurmServerLauncher

\steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server

If you have "USE DEDICATED SERVER" checked, it will use the second address. I believe that one is "recommended" if you want your server available to others (as opposed to singleplayer/LAN), . I will look for the link if you do NOT have that second location.

I don;t think this is your issue due to no line about "connected to steam," but I have had a couple times I could not "see" my server because I had one of the checkboxes ched to ifnore passworded/empty/full servers (mine was empty since I wasn't logged intto it)

It's also possible STEAM is having issues on their end...?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

See also if anything on these links helps at all:

Common issues & Fixes
Known Issues & Work Arounds
Server administration (Wurm Unlimited)

Here are my settings (someone please alert me if I exposed any "insecure" info as I am not good with networking security  :p)

IPaddresses2.png

The two red marked areas are important -- if you CLEAR them then STEAM should try to auto identify the correct numbers.  Alternatively, if you use 0.0.0.0 in the first and 127.0.0.1 in the second, that should also work. It basically tells the computer to listen to all portss on your own computer (or something like that??)

my kids who ive in a different state are able to connect to me either one I use.

I am also not sure what would happen if you have a corrupted database.

Have you tried switching around the generic/officlal Adventure & Creative servers to see if with one of those will work? Is your saved game on a custom map?

Did the NAME of the server get changed when you redownloaded,, back to "Ocrea" or Heavennord" (or whatever the generic names for Adventure & Creatire maps are)

Thank you for your reply !

I have tried clearing both boxes (and it identifies the correct IP)  and also inputting 0.0.0.0 and 127.0.0.1.

I'm not using any mods.

I was running Hamachi in the past, but it's not installed now.

I've tried both WurmServerLauncher and Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server.

There's nothing pertinent in Common Issues & Fixes or Known Issues & Workarounds. 

I've worked my way through Server Administration and opened all the ports in my firewall as well as my modem.

I've tried both Adventure and Creative and swapping between them.

I have no saved games or saved server (as far as I know) as I can't get that far - I deleted all the files and folders and re-downloaded them, so don't think that's it.

It may well be a Steam issue, but everything else works.

Edited by Zygus

If It Were Me:

I'd try sending private PMs to some of the posters who seem to know a lot about networking (I am not in that group). Don;t tell him I said it but I would try Bigsteve, for instance. And aybe a couple others. When I got the game it took me *days* to  get running.  At one point I got LAN-only working, and played merrily for a day, then I wanted to try harder to get a server that family/friends could access on the net, and I ... did something .. in firewall? ... that broke LAN too. In the end the only thing that worked for me, was to do a SYSTEM RESTORE on the computer to set it back in time 12 hours (when my LAN version was last working) and then I could at least play again. Later I found some quirks in our home router that I brute forced through, and finally EVERYTHING worked. Now I am afraid each day, I might be the next one here saying "it used to work then stopped."  So you do not want me for networking advice. Generally.  People say their 7 year old neighbor can do it so 'if you can't manage you must be stupid', but count me in the STUPID group because I think it takes an IT professional to do it "easy", and it took me three days.  I hope staff are working on a more goof proof setup. 

II guess my other suggestion is try SYSTEM RESTORE to the last time it worked ok.  That did work for me. Or maybe buy a new computer  and hope it works there ^_^ (that's a JOKE)

You might also google "Windows / Show Hidden Devices" to make sure Hamachi-whatever did not leave behind old drivers/settings that continue to haunt you. I used to have old network cards that would do that even when removed from the computer.  Sorry I don't have good advice. I did not want you to feel ignored, most of us here have no idea how to help. Sorry, I tend to ramble. I am old so I have a "Old Senile Person" card that allows this. 

/wanders off for a nap

Post a non grouped images of your servers UI, also what ports have u opened, and forwarded on your router?

I'm having a very similar issue to this and the other thread that's up about servers not appearing in the Steam lobby. We have the sole goal of playing on a dedicated server as a family and we cannot get it to work, no matter which of us hosts the server.

When I start the dedicated server, I do get the message "Server connected to steam," but the server only appears on the LAN tab, not on the "Internet" tab, and none of my Steam friends can see it in the Wurm launcher.

I began this journey by following the instructions to open ports 8766 TCP/UDP, 27016-27030 UDP, 3724 TCP, 7220, 7221 TCP in my router's firewall. In the course of troubleshooting, I have turned off all other firewalls entirely. I have tried Brash_Endeavors' suggestion above of forcing it to auto-detect the IP again, gone through the troubleshooting links, and gone through both the forums here and the Steam forums looking for answers.

We are both using the same residential gateway, and here's a thread on Steam (same issue, with logs) that points to the way it does network address translation as a possible culprit. We have contacted AT&T tech support to make sure there aren't any weird tricks to opening ports for a game on the residential gateway device, and they assured us it was possible, although I'm starting to suspect it's the problem based on my reading. Neither network topology has an additional router.

As I said we really want to play together and we've been stuck for a week trying to get started, so I am here to beg for any other troubleshooting ideas. :mellow:

Edited by Minnow

Just an odd test but can one of you try and start the server as administrator, right click on WurmServerLauncer.exe and click run as administrator.

11 hours ago, urban said:

Just an odd test but can one of you try and start the server as administrator, right click on WurmServerLauncer.exe and click run as administrator.

I just tried running it as an administrator, and it crashed whenever I hit the start server button.... the same outcome when I try out different compatibility modes. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Not sure if this is helpful, but did you make sure the IP address of your computer did not change??   I do not use the generic IP addresses I use my actual and have never had any issues.