Sign in to follow this  
Maximillian

Paving over clay.

5 hours ago, ClericGunem said:

Else we have that weekly new player that comes in destroys half the forest in the area and lets it rot will be dropping a dozen clay tiles in the middle of said forest then logging out and never returning...just no at least not until there is a mechanism to return such places to nature and maybe dry out the clay...

Players can do this with sand.  Do we have people going around turning the whole map into desert?  Not that I've noticed.

Priests are powerful enough.  We shouldn't need a "spell" to create clay.

Come on I think that's a fair compromise.  If you want to be able to pave over clay, if you think clay shouldn't be as special, why be apposed to allowing players to create clay tiles?

• Like 1

Creating clay would be fine if it was easy to destroy but it would be somewhat odd to have a clay pit in the middle of a desert lol. I'd be happy if clay stayed the same but we could pave over it without destroying it. If someone really wants to go thru the trouble of paving EVERY single clay tile on a server I say they should be able to within the rules of the game. EG griefing rules are not broken, you'll have to explain how this would be possible though.

i love this idea: so whenever people don't want new players to settle near them they can just pave over the clay since they cant kill the pavement or don't know there is clay there they will move

not saying i would do that, but i think being able to destroy or hide tiles there are a necessity to have access too is a dangerous idea for those that like to be unkind

also cant compare paving with fencing it in, paving is 2 actions with almost no material and it doesn't require repairs

i think its a good idea in a wurm universe where you can create clay as well

then again the reason to travel off deed will become less and less if you can create tiles at home

sorry my post turned into me contemplating both sides of the argument.

hmmm now i dont know where i end on this one

+1

On 12/12/2015 at 0:19 AM, Proximo said:

Players can do this with sand.  Do we have people going around turning the whole map into desert?  Not that I've noticed.

Priests are powerful enough.  We shouldn't need a "spell" to create clay.

Come on I think that's a fair compromise.  If you want to be able to pave over clay, if you think clay shouldn't be as special, why be apposed to allowing players to create clay tiles?

Its not the whole map, its all the little messes that add up.  There are tons of little noobtastic deeds, and we all had a noob deed at one point, so not making fun, but its the ones where they get started collect lots of stuff, have the required one and one half buildings, multiple bsbs, sand pits, half build cart or three, then they leave.  I know of two deeds the players played *maybe* 3 or 4 weeks, created a deed then left.  one of those was 5 months ago and still there and just as ugly as ever (minus some of the stuff that finally decayed away).  meanwhile we have had a large influx of new players, some talk to neighbors get a feel for how things work settle in and begin to build and those are the ones that are probably responsible enough to handle something like making clay.  Others setup a noobtastic deed, with a templar that covers a chunk of the main highway so you have to go around if have hell horses (I wish i could rip that templar's head off and shove it up the mayo...) and would almost certain be the type to add multiple clay tiles all over the place

I have no worries about creating as long as they are not permanent without some really specific condition like touching water and has to be some limitations certainly not in middle of desert.  AND not by anyone who is new to game,

And clay is a large part of what makes people leave there deed as pointed out above.  i have a good friend i cannot say i would have got to know without the clay next to her deed.

---

Anyway how about something like the treatments you have to do for floor boards for pavement over clay to make decay faster?  Also you do have to maintain pavement in a sense or it does decay, just that maintenance for pavement is walking on it from time to time, i cannot find reference, but was something like certain period of time without traffic and road begins to decay

would love a paver that can go over clay so it can be built upon and traveled easily across then once pavement is removed, back to clay again

• Like 1

Put a bridge over it?

Not going to work for waterside docks like in Steve's pic, but for highways across a clay patch it should solve the problem.

Edited by Pragmatist

Detractors of the idea should visit Release, go from Sloping Sands (spawn point) to the south tip of the lake following the west shore.

That "clay road" needs some form of pavement 3 years ago.  Bridging past it, while an option, doesn't guarantee that the bridge will be maintained forever eh.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2015 at 1:54 PM, Proximo said:

How would it be obvious again?  You wouldn't KNOW the clay is under the pavement, so you wouldn't destroy pavement in the first place.

Also what about the highway rule?  If you make a highway through clay, that's permanent FOREVER.  You can't touch it.

Look I've officially withdrawn my objections, but you guys haven't thought it through.  You are just kidding yourself if you don't see the potential for problems this would cause.  Not just greifing, but the unintended consequence of more and more clay being paved over, causing people to have to go farther and farther to find it.

If you want to pave over clay, fine.  Then I want the ability to make clay tiles anywhere I want to compensate.  And no, NOT with a transmute rod.  We can make sand tiles just by dropping sand, clay should work the same way imo.

One way would be like tgod said and bake the tile. It would have a texture, say, like the pottery floor or something. It would ONLY have that texture. That would make it obviously clay, plus the mouseover could even say "baked clay" or something like it does for grass and trees. 

The best case would be to be able to create a clay tile by using clay on dirt or something. The same holds true with tar. The best way to limit or halt resource griefing is to make the resource able to be created. Fenced off or deeded over is just as bad as paved if someone blocks the regional clay field.

EDIT: Completely missed your possible priest spell post. LOL

Edited by Audrel

As someone who has over 40 clay tiles on my deed (I should change the name to World of Clay), I would love the ability to transmute clay on deed, preferably to dirt, but baking it into a tile would be great as well. However, I do see that this could result in a lot of griefing by people who drop deeds just for lulz, or accidental griefing by nooblets who mean well. I like the ideas about skill requirements. It wouldn't stop the griefers who are determined (which, thankfully, is not a huge population) but would stop the newbies who might be shooting themselves in the foot, as well as annoying neighbors.