Sign in to follow this  
Maximillian

Paving over clay.

We should really be able to pave over clay. I wouldn't even care if the tile under the pavement is still clay for after the pavement decays or is destroyed. I really hate that clay can't be covered at all (any other tile type that acts the same aswell).

• Like 2

What about paving stones that sit on the surface, yet still look like, and behave like clay for digging, just not Level actions?  Moving with paved speed over clay would be wonderful.

• Like 2

I see no reason why stone couldn't be paved. Maybe have a slope limit so people aren't paving entire mountains for no reason.

burn coalpiles over clay to harden tile, use a shovel or pick to remove (50 or 100actions) making tile dirt

• Like 3

+1 from me, enough of the "clay is superbtile". Maybe the game remembers it was a clay tile so when you unpave it becomes clay again?

• Like 1

+1

We now need to protect clay patches because they can reduce.
Fences are an option, cept we have no diagonal ones and hedges can't be planted so close to water.

Paving clay (with the need to destroy pavement before u can dig it) would sort this out.

massive +1

• Like 1

The times such a suggestion have come up, the main argument against it is people being people.

Especially the more player-versus-player inclined.

On 11/30/2015, 2:07:09, Wulfgarr said:

+1 from me, enough of the "clay is superbtile". Maybe the game remembers it was a clay tile so when you unpave it becomes clay again?

Simple, logical solution that's been suggested many a time, let's see if the idiotic -1's don't derail the thread this time.

• Like 1

Seems a bit...selfish.

So because you want to make a road through a public resource, nobody else gets to dig for the clay.  Is that it?

I could see wanting this for on-deed clay tiles.  But there could be a LOT of potential for abuse if this were made possible. 

The clay would still exist under the paved tile but it's far from selfish. I not really sure why you'd even say it's selfish tbh maybe you could enlighten me?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Proximo said:

So because you want to make a road through a public resource, nobody else gets to dig for the clay.  Is that it?

I could see wanting this for on-deed clay tiles.  But there could be a LOT of potential for abuse if this were made possible. 

Sorry for saying but i find that very short sighted.

clay patches are MASSIVE

the desire to make 10% of it untouchable by building a road on it....

where's the bloody harm?  sure, someone could be vindictive and pave the lot.. someone could also fence the lot.

please don't throw a spanner in the works unless it's made of titanium, we need this.

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

Maybe that would be your intention, but what's exactly stopping someone from paving every single clay tile over?

And I get that in the OP's proposal you could still dig for the clay under the tile, but what good is that if nobody knows clay is underneath?

I don't see a big benefit to this versus all the potential problems.  Maybe selfish was too strong a word, but clay is something that everyone needs, and it just doesn't feel right that you want to pave over it without any consideration to others.

Edited by Proximo

On 02/12/2015 at 1:00 AM, Proximo said:

Maybe that would be your intention, but what's exactly stopping someone from paving every single clay tile over?

what is to stop anyone frmo fencing the entire area over?  Please read your replies. i already covered that.

CGxlAKZ.jpg

See the need?  to fence this area id need to create diagonal fences, they don't exist, it'd be a mess.

there are patches like this all over wurm..

why are you bothered by potential griefing when `they` can already fence the crap out of it. just spent 600 dirt sorting it out. made that mound, put a sign there.
it needs, a road.
(yes of course those ships are abandoned)

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 3

+1

I personally like this idea a great deal,

personally would like the paving with keeping the clay intact under,

we could do something like a "floor" so it sits above it maybe to do that much.

As for those saying others could just pave over it to grief,

what's stopping the very same people at the moment from

going about and building a "shack" around it all, aside from resources?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Proximo said:

Seems a bit...selfish.

not necessarily. yes in some places this may be true, yet some people have the clay on their deed, they could restrict access anyways. But maybe they want it removed or made smaller from a 3x3 to a 2x2 patch.

it's not like paving or removing them is the only possible form of griefing or access restriction that suddenly gets added.

Edited by PWreset

Steve you make a pretty compelling argument.

Personally I think clay tiles should be able to be created.  We can create sand tiles and other types, why not clay?

I acknowledge the need to make roads through clay.  I think it could be abused, but I retract my objections for the greater good.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Proximo said:

Steve you make a pretty compelling argument.

Personally I think clay tiles should be able to be created.  We can create sand tiles and other types, why not clay?

I acknowledge the need to make roads through clay.  I think it could be abused, but I retract my objections for the greater good.

You have big responsibilities over there. I acknowledge that.
respect to you too

Edited by Steveleeb

+1

have a nice spot which has ton of clay i put a "boardwalk" over and hedges so it looks better and would be fine except still have random clay tiles that i could work into a design *if* i could some how disguise them, e.g. paving.  I have seen things from people dropping rafts (near glasshollow) to marble keys stones to make it look like a some weird sewage area (at least what i presume they were going for).

I would like to make clay also, on my main deed that has a lake.  If they allow making clay i have doubts someone will be paying 50e to grief (assuming via the transmutation rod).

But paving, it will be obvious someone is being a douchbag if they pave every title, but why bother.  They could deed over it if they want to stop access, if they merely pave it anyone short of a fresh spawn can just remove the pavement.

• Like 1

How would it be obvious again?  You wouldn't KNOW the clay is under the pavement, so you wouldn't destroy pavement in the first place.

Also what about the highway rule?  If you make a highway through clay, that's permanent FOREVER.  You can't touch it.

Look I've officially withdrawn my objections, but you guys haven't thought it through.  You are just kidding yourself if you don't see the potential for problems this would cause.  Not just greifing, but the unintended consequence of more and more clay being paved over, causing people to have to go farther and farther to find it.

If you want to pave over clay, fine.  Then I want the ability to make clay tiles anywhere I want to compensate.  And no, NOT with a transmute rod.  We can make sand tiles just by dropping sand, clay should work the same way imo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Proximo said:

How would it be obvious again?  You wouldn't KNOW the clay is under the pavement, so you wouldn't destroy pavement in the first place.

Also what about the highway rule?  If you make a highway through clay, that's permanent FOREVER.  You can't touch it.

Look I've officially withdrawn my objections, but you guys haven't thought it through.  You are just kidding yourself if you don't see the potential for problems this would cause.  Not just greifing, but the unintended consequence of more and more clay being paved over, causing people to have to go farther and farther to find it.

If you want to pave over clay, fine.  Then I want the ability to make clay tiles anywhere I want to compensate.  And no, NOT with a transmute rod.  We can make sand tiles just by dropping sand, clay should work the same way imo.

I say obvious i mean look a that image, if every square meter was covered with pavement you would still be able to deduce it was covering clay.  Someone claiming a 5-tile wide area in roughly in middle of nowhere that just happens to be over clay is "highway" because they do not like clay or their neighbors or new players?  The spirit of the rule is unimpeded travel (in my interpretation) not so that GMs can be summoned as enforcers of someone's undeeded kingdom; the GMs are fair as far as i can tell

Highways
Highway is defined as a paved road connecting two or more deeds with a format of either a single tile road with sand borders on each side -or- 2 or more tiles wide.

Highway Rules:
A ) You may not block, modify, or remove a highway. All modifications must be submitted and approved by a GM through the /support system before work begins.
    1> Deeds retain the right to modify pavement type or format on their deed tiles to suit the design of the deed as long as a clear flow of traffic is maintained.

As far as making clay if not via transmutation then it should be as out of reach as possible, maybe a spell requires multiple links as clay is hideous and does not belong away from water, water touching the tile should be a bare minimum imo.

Else we have that weekly new player that comes in destroys half the forest in the area and lets it rot will be dropping a dozen clay tiles in the middle of said forest then logging out and never returning...just no at least not until there is a mechanism to return such places to nature and maybe dry out the clay...

...hey that could be a way to keep such clay viable, maybe if you could plant clay you have to add water every RL day or it disappears...though still think it should only be created, if ever, on a tile that at minimum is touching (and has drink option)