Sign in to follow this  
ZaZ213

Server Randomly crashes

Not sure whats causing it yet or what conditions trigger it but here's the last error message from the wurm.log
:

Nov 28, 2015 9:24:48 PM com.wurmonline.server.Server run
SEVERE: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.wurmonline.mesh.GrassData.encodeGrassTileData(GrassData.java:572)
        at com.wurmonline.server.zones.TilePoller.checkForGrassGrowth(TilePoller.java:763)
        at com.wurmonline.server.zones.TilePoller.checkEffects(TilePoller.java:400)
        at com.wurmonline.server.zones.TilePoller.pollNextTile(TilePoller.java:235)
        at com.wurmonline.server.zones.TilePoller.pollNext(TilePoller.java:176)
        at com.wurmonline.server.Server.run(Server.java:1709)
        at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:555)
        at java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:505)

Nov 28, 2015 9:24:48 PM com.wurmonline.server.Server run
SEVERE: Server is shutting down but there is no information in the Exception so creating a new one
java.lang.Exception
        at com.wurmonline.server.Server.run(Server.java:2471)

Nov 28, 2015 9:24:48 PM com.wurmonline.server.Server shutDown
INFO: Shutting down at:
java.lang.Exception
        at com.wurmonline.server.Server.shutDown(Server.java:3278)
        at com.wurmonline.server.Server.run(Server.java:2473)

It seems to shut down gracefully after that, any clues? I'm usually good at reading java error messages but in this case I don't know what could go wrong with: wurmonline.mesh.GrassData.encodeGrassTileData unless I don't know its trying to grow grass somewhere it shouldn't?

That's the exact message I started getting this morning. I can't even start up my server now, it just crashes after about 30 seconds. Argh, and just after I'd fixed my issue with trees spawning on the edges.

Anyone else able to point us in the right direction for this? Server won't even stay up now. It starts and crashes about 30 seconds later. Tried doing it over and over as when I had tree issues it would go through the checks for each tile once then stay up until the checks came through again. I could at least log in to do a skill dump to possibly switch my character to a different map. Now I can't, so if I want to try to move my character to a new map, I'll have to export the skills with a SQL query manually :(

OK, fixed my issue by redownloading a new server.jar. Mine must have been corrupted somewhere, but after redownloading it, it works fine :D