Sign in to follow this  
Taijyn

Skyrim mod conversion for armors and other mods

I was wondering if there is a way to convert armor meshes and textures to skyrim.  Or some of the character model mods and textures.  All of this with the permission of the original creator of course.  Through a bit of searching I know that skyrim is written in papyrus but no clue how to convert it to something WU can read, or if it is even possible.  I have no scripting abilities and have no clue how it works really.

Wow I really thought there would be more people interested in this lol.  Hey if we put enough Skyrim mods into Wurm we could call it SkyWurm.

Here's a brief overview of some of the issues, from someone who has modded in Bethesda games (Morrowind & Oblivion, but Skyrim is just a variation on that.)

1.  Their character models are done much different than in Wurm, each "person" is made up of a dozen different meshes for different body parts. Their clothing works differently than clothing works in Wurm. They use a proprietary mesh format (NIF, for NetImmerse/Gamebryo  games) so one cannot simply "import" the meshes into Wurm and put the armor and clothes on Wurm characters. Their animation is likely completely different (though making new animations might be the least issue). Papyrus is Bethesda's scripting language which is useful in dialogue/quests/game mechanics but not really relevant to armor and clothing mods which are not really "scripted" mods (other than putting the items into the game world). 
  2. Overall, the "easiest" way to "import" mods from one game into another, is to pick two games that use the same/similar engines. Wurm and Skyrim do not. Even putting Morrowind content into Skyrim (or reverse) is challenging and that was using similar engines, same company ownership, etc. Some people have managed that but its not something you do in a couple of hours. 
  3.  The best you could do is get a graphic artist who makes entirely new meshes using some Skyrim mods as a reference for design. At that point, rather than steal someone else's work/ideas, they are likely going to prefer to create their own using real life armors as a reference.
  4. One thing I recall from Bethesda modding is that there are pockets of individual artists who might be willing to work cooperatively on a project, but they do not respond well to someone wanting to take their work and make a few adjustments then claim credit. Many are still upset over the "Steam will sell Skyrim Mods" issue because people were grabbing their work, tweaking some minor part,  and reselling it. They do not want to give permissions that might later enable someone to do the same if Steam later reintroduces "paid mods".  Many don't care much and just want a credit in any readme or documentation. But tracking them down for permissions can take time. It's not THAT much of an issue however because all of the other issues are so much greater issues.

Overall, the technical difficulties are so immense that I cannot imagine anyone ever "importing" Skyrim mods into Wurm. It's not so much a lack of interest as we do not yet have a modding community overall that can yet tackle things like custom armors and clothing (that I have seen at least). If we did have such people, they are better off working from scratch than try to make Skyrim mods work in Wurm Unlimited. So I think Wurm would be better off having its own talented artists/modelers start from ground zero and make armors and clothing specifically for Wurm. According to Bethesda, "only 8% of the Skyrim audience has ever used a mod. Less than 1% has ever made one". The numbers in Wurm are likely microscopic compared to Skyrim. 

In addition, at one time Bethesda through its EULAs  was claiming a certain "ownership" of mods that were made using Bethesda tools (which really all of them are since they all used Niftools/game editor etc.) Thus Wurmccould be open to lawsuits from Bethesda even if all of the players involved came to happy agreements. Their EULA states:  

"If You distribute or otherwise make available New Materials [Mods], You automatically grant to Bethesda Softworks the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, sublicensable right and license under all applicable copyrights and intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of the New Materials (or any part of the New Materials) in any way Bethesda Softworks, or its respective designee(s), sees fit."

So, I would love to see Skyrim type amrors and clothes, I think everyone here would, but its very very unlikely to happen.

I would love to be proven wrong though!!! :P

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Copyright means only a direct rip of their creative expressions textures or maps used as sources.    MorrowOblivion got taken down because of this, and it is why SkyWind is using inspired by works, or why OpenMW requires you provide your own Morrowind game assets from your own CD.

But suppose you wanted to use SkyWind by ripping their assets using Bethesda tools/databases?  That EULA means that Bethesda is again in control.  If SkyWind devs have source material outside of Bethesda tools then it could be used.

But even then you have to fear takedown notices for inspired works. for example Tolkien estate always goes after world maps that are inspired works.  What free modder wants to fight corporate giants that inspired works are legal whereas derivative works are not?

Map modding is a lot easier, rippers exist to grayscale formats that can import, and you are free to rip any games maps for your own private use.  Note that the Tamriel map posted here is an inspired work, because game maps for Tamriel do not exist even in ESO since it has unconnected zones.

The best way to do it would be to write the translator tool, then anyone that uses it can port their Bethesda game assets themselves for their own private use.  Given the incompatibilities between all the various Bethesda games that make even ripping from one to the other difficult I would not expect such an easy workflow to get to a different game.

Do it though before Bethesda makes their own Wurm library, you laugh at that but it already happened - they sell Minecraft Skyrim packs.  Gaming is all about branding that goes beyond the original game, so you will need a license to do even an inspired work.   Of course the lawyers will only contact you after years of effort because they want to inflict maximum pain in their takedowns.

Edited by yarnevk

well, I have gotten the mesh files opened in maya for WU.  Going to try my hand at a few hairs and go from there lol, its been a while since I have been in maya.  I wasn't putting much hope into skyrim armor and stuff but it would be awesome to get something kind of like it, that's what I am aiming for.  Wish me luck in my journey to mod WU!  Hopefully soon I will have some goodies ready :) 

Good Luck!  I can promise there will be a HUGE interest in any clothing and armor mods!

I can make any model and slap it in wurm unlimited already. if it be altering existing to mix my models with existing to fully new model's. So far I think I'm the only one other than staff of CC who can. If any one else can they have yet come forth and showed they can. It isn't hard to add any model to WU it is who is willing to do it is the question.

Personally you want find me working hard to model things for people cause I can't get paid for my time. Someone might say you can sell your mod and yes this being true it does not stop someone from taking it once they bought it and uploading it some where and telling everyone not to pay for it he has it here for free. The hassle I would have to go threw is just not worth my time 

In the end the only way I could get paid for my modeling work is to sell them online but seeing I'm making them wurm style it be best on a server that people pay me to play on I'm not trying to take CC game and turn it into my own and steal there profits so most any models I make will be on my own private server for me and my family an close friends to play on.

But to take a model from another game and animations and convert them over and stick them in WU no that isn't that hard to do If you want to get sued for copyright mat. Like Brash said be better for the modeler to make new models from scratch using RL art work.