Sign in to follow this  
Neroden

Arched Walls - Materials Required

Seeing as we're getting quite a few bug fixes, and other QOL adjustments, I thought I'd bring this topic up again....

Arched Walls use a full 20 bricks/boards/whatever to construct, could that please be lowered to say 10 to better reflect the rather large opening in said walls.

• Like 1

either this, but then material chainges for purtcullis and doors as well (it makes no sense on stone walls that doos don't require wood) . or give us an option to change walls.

It's been suggested quite a few times. Something I've often wondered about myself.

I'm not saying it has to 100% make sense, I'm giid with only bricks and mortar for brick walls and only boards and nails for wooden ones... But some of the newer construction items like a floor with an opening use 1/2 the number of boards as a normal floor.  It would be nice if othet things like arched walls did the same... 

Ideally something along the lines of 20 items per wall, 15 per window and 10 per arch would go a long way.

I'd honestly still be happy with just lowering the arch requirements to 10!

lets not push our luck
last i checked, openings required no shafts and only one type of nail.
5 planks 1 nail? what a kindness.

I would prefer more wogical modifications to be implemented instead (turn wall into window/narrow stone window)
less to fix

Edited by Steveleeb

Hosues and their walsl are one of the most strange thinsg for me in wurm. Build a caravel, how complex it is at all, while the ship is entirely made of wood, a few ropes and cloth.

In contrary the house components are sooo much simplyfied that it made me wonder why this is.  But I truly miss the realism of this put into the houses as well.

On 11/29/2015, 10:06:09, Steveleeb said:

lets not push our luck
last i checked, openings required no shafts and only one type of nail.
5 planks 1 nail? what a kindness.

I would prefer more wogical modifications to be implemented instead (turn wall into window/narrow stone window)
less to fix

If you read the description of either large or small nails, you'll notice that each "Nail" is actually a handful of nails, not just 1 nail per item - the description reads as follows for large/small nails:

"About ten iron nails, each one long as your hand." 

"About ten iron nails, each as long as a grown man's thumb."

So the opening actually uses 5 boards and 10 nails, which = 2 nails per board, which probably doesn't meet building code in MOST places - having said that, I'd also have no problem with the openings requiring 2 more boards, 2 shafts and another handful of nails for the ladder...  A materials revisit for all walls/floors wouldn't be the worst thing ever, and I'm more than willing to have some types be adjusted up if necessary, while the crazier ones like the arched walls get adjusted down.

Don't misunderstand my suggestion/request this isn't a me looking for easy mode or over-simplification, I haven't played this game for 5 years because of how easy it is - I've stuck around because of how hard it is most of the time.  I just figured that with the many QOL improvements that we've seen in the most recent patches that it would be NICE if some of the older material requirements - especially those concerning housing were revisited and balanced out a little better... 

I'd also be on board with modifying walls into windows into walls with some bricks and mortar or chiseling out a window, good idea, you should make that one its own suggestion post too.

I would not suggest changing anything about wood openings, they are easy to destroy and are the only option we have ingame for scaffolding, so making it harder to build would take away from the fact that the biggest use of this floor type is as a temporary structure.

23 hours ago, Neroden said:

If you read the description of either large or small nails, you'll notice that each "Nail" is actually a handful of nails, not just 1 nail per item - the description reads as follows for large/small nails:

"About ten iron nails, each one long as your hand." 

"About ten iron nails, each as long as a grown man's thumb."

hahaha, yeha funny isn't it, yet an entire wooden wall needs how many nails? 40. makes sense somehow.

And large crate? 10. Now how do all these planks on the crate keep together? even the model has more nails than the 1x large nails (10).

And even more funny, visually the rope tool has 3 nails, yet requires 3x large nails, meaning 30 nails. where are those even?

it's a bit inconsistent.