Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

News #87 Take a load off

heh every week after bridges update, we get more and more boring news!!!    Sit?=   eh

OOOO sitting will make it more fun in my lodge at the bar. Now we need the ability to place objects on tables etc. Mugs and such on the bar and tables would be awesome XD

• Like 3

Appreciate all the work you've done around here, Wox. Sad to see you go. Thanks for making the game better over the past few years!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sila said:

heh every week after bridges update, we get more and more boring news!!!    Sit?=   eh

Actually this is massive, as it directly impacts how people will play the game. Having a new skin for weapons is purely visual candy. Having a new piece of furniture is yet another decoration. These are "nice to have" but don't really impact the game experience.

However sitting will open up completely new projects and goals for players that they never would have done before due to not being able to sit. I'm pretty sure we will start to see new kinds of player events with seating for the audience and player establishments such as taverns appear. The whole process of dreaming and imagining one's next big project for a deed will be altered by this. How you socialize with your friends and allies will change. "Have a seat while I cook up a snack for us" "Make yourself comfortable by the fire while I get us some wine!" "Here's a bench, shall we sit and watch the sunset?" For you, all of the above may sound lame and boring, but for many of us this will be anything but boring. 

Another approach is this: Imagine if they'd implemented the ships as merely decorational items you could have in your harbor - as chairs and benches are now. Then the day came when they said that we will finally be able to sail on those ships. That's how it feels for us who have always wanted to also sit on the chairs we've decorated with. Or would you seriously be happy with merely decorational ships that can't be used?

Edited by Malena
  • Like 6

Yay!  Sitting in the game is huge.  Thank you so much for this.  One of the things I've missed most from UO,  back in the day, was friends being able to gather in the tavern to socialize and sitting around at the bar & tables, visiting other people's taverns (and merchants, hehe), sitting to have a quick drink and chat with, or get to know, the proprietor, etc, etc..  Great addition to the game.

Now all we need to really recreate that old nostalgic, social feeling is the ability to travel to select places easily & quickly for socializing and making the rounds for merchant shopping, etc.  (or for instance, things like the upcoming Xan impalong that I'd love to go to but the time involved getting there is prohibitive. If there was a portal from the starter town nearest me to the starter town nearest the impalong. that I could ride my horse or cart through, I'd be a happy camper).  :)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

No more Wox... that's a shame.

Well, good fortune in future endeavors.

Appreciate the eye candy. :)

Being able to use chairs is a good improvement for the game, shows the Dev's are listening to the player base and adding improvements, not all will agree with the changes, but in the end it keeps making for a better overall gaming experience.

A game without improvements is a game that will die away.

Now waiting for passengers on wagons. ^_^

And keep slaying the bugs!

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

Wox, many thanks for all the great work you've done on the game. Best wishes to you!!!

Sitting is a game improvement, although I'm a senseless male :P 7-8 years ago I've been a heavy Second Life user and since then I miss the sitting and poses altogether from all virtual worlds I encounter...

11 hours ago, Malena said:

Having a new skin for weapons is purely visual candy.

For PVE perhaps.

For PVP it lets us get a better grasp of our enemies strength.

If a person has a weapon that does 30% more damage and a plate set that performs 50% better than normal, then its important info to know about.

Edited by Zekezor

Wondering when Wurm is getting better 3D rendering for its clients?

What a bittersweet update. I love the idea of sitting and this addition, along with the possibilities it may open, was really needed in our game. Great job devs!

But loosing Wox... hmm, for me, he has been such a part of Wurm visuals, landscape and art direction that it's hard to imagine Wurm without him. I am glad we have Saroman - another master at his profession - so the great visuals will continue, but loosing Wox is sad news.

Edited by Valdor
  • Like 2

Wox was a great character and a personality.

He seemed to be one of those guys you wouldn't expect to go, but whatever he is up to next I wish him the best of luck and joy for sure !

Now I send a package of energy to Saroman if he has to work twice as hard :P also a nice thing about saroman is that i've seen him play actively in the game, and he can get jobs done! keep goin sir

On 11/27/2015, 7:36:53, Retrograde said:

(Fingers crossed on a new metal album).

what, please go on

links please

On 11/28/2015 at 6:58 PM, Malena said:

Oh my goodness what a bitter-sweet update... Absolutely thrilled about sitting of course since that has been my #1 wish since day one. But also hugely sad to see Wox go. It's thanks to him taking the horsie skin topic forward to Rolf that I got to do 3 new horsie skins (which are already in the build but yet to be fully released) and in general what little interaction we had discussing the skins, he seems like an absolutely lovely feller. So helpful and sympatico. All the best to you Wox, and thank you for everything! The best of luck to whatever comes next!

As soon as I saw this feature being implemented I immediately thought to myself, "Malena is going to crap her pants!"

• Like 1