Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

News #87 Take a load off

header.png

It's been a bumpy week with an unexpected forum update, we're still ironing out a few bugs (one unfortunately delayed this news, it got what was coming to it).We hope stability improves and the issues are resolved.

This weeks updates:

Spoiler
November 23, 2015
  • Increased the internal size of wagons so looms fit.
  • Fix for off-deed gate permissions so citizens of “xxx” will work (and allies of “xxx”) e.g. it correctly now checks for the gates owners settlement.
  • Fix so emotes on tiles work.
  • Missions that require you to drain permanent settlements should no longer appear.
  • Unfinished walls now take damage from attacks a lot faster.
  • You should no longer be able to plan fences and walls on top of unfinished ones.
  • Valrei quest items and treasure chests now spawn more based on map size, which means an increase on for instance Elevation.
  • Fix for server crashes (was caused by flowers.. flower-power!)
  • Update so ‘harvestable’ hover text can only show for trees and bushes are within the correct age limits.

November 26, 2015
  • Changes to Bury:
    When you bury it will also bury all items that were in the corpse.
    You can now bury on rock and cliff tiles, but have to use a pickaxe.
    You can now bury in caves using a pickaxe too and last but not least… bury corpse action can now give rare coins
  • Fix for mine door permissions not changing correctly when deed founded over them.
  • Fix so clay will only lower every 50-100 dig actions.
  • Fixed bug that stopped mayor from setting rent on beds in houses.
  • Added check in so that if an animal is tamed, it can only be cared for by the tamer.
  • Added plant to trellis. Plus they will be able to be used indoors.
  • Fix so underwater mycelium will revert to dirt or kelp or reeds if not in HOTS kingdom.
  • Allowed mycelium to spread over moss (as can now plant it)
  • Fix so action queue can’t be used to bypass fatigue.
  • Fix for PMK titles not becoming available based on land control
  • Fix so if an animal is branded it does not check who last lead it. E.g. it always checks the brand permissions for branded animals.
  • You can no longer put locked containers on merchants

Wox leaves the Wurm team.

It is with sadness today that we announce the departure of Emil "Wox" Norman from the Wurm Online team.

Emil has been with us since 2010 and has had an extremely strong influence on the look and feel of the game since then. He is responsible for the current player and new unique models as well as countless additions and updates between. He has been an invaluable member of the in-house team and will be missed.

We would like to thank Emil for his contributions to the game, and wish him the best in his future endeavours. (Fingers crossed on a new metal album).

Rest assured this does not mean there will be less models or content, Saroman will be replacing Emil as lead art director and will continue to produce and source quality artwork.

Forum update

as you know the forum software was upgraded last friday, this caused a few bumps in the look and feel of the forums, but we now have our custom theme back. We'll be continuing to make slight alterations to it as time goes on, but the major parts have been implemented.

Take a load off!

Our tireless development team has been tinkering with many things under the hood, but I'm pleased to leave this little teaser of an upcoming feature:

sit.png

At the moment the focus is on simply adding the ability to sit, but there has been discussion about possible mechanics down the line, so stay tuned!

Treasure hunt!

Once again Spellcast will be hosting a treasure hunt on Pristine. the time has been set for 10pm UTC+1, so be there!

Weekly screenshot and question

With the departure of Wox we have taken a stroll down memory lane to look at some older screenshots of Wurm, which leads us to this weeks screenshot and question.

What is your favourite model?

Screenshot

This screenshot has been provided by Yaga, and shows a freedom player standing infront of a fountain, with some wooden houses in the background

Screenshot.jpg

That's all for this week, happy Wurming!

Retrograde and the Wurm team.

• Like 13

cough* why do i have a feeling that team is falling apart.. 

• Like 1

Not at all sin, just one of those unfortunate events, Saroman is now the Lead Art Director, so the position still exists

Oh my goodness what a bitter-sweet update... Absolutely thrilled about sitting of course since that has been my #1 wish since day one. But also hugely sad to see Wox go. It's thanks to him taking the horsie skin topic forward to Rolf that I got to do 3 new horsie skins (which are already in the build but yet to be fully released) and in general what little interaction we had discussing the skins, he seems like an absolutely lovely feller. So helpful and sympatico. All the best to you Wox, and thank you for everything! The best of luck to whatever comes next!

Edited by Malena
  • Like 6

So will they be looking for a new volunteer to take Saroman old spot? Is that what the new horses by Malena is about will she be added in as a new art team member and be helping out more? 

Sad to see team members leaving and wish him well in his future endeavors whatever they might be. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kegan said:

So will they be looking for a new volunteer to take Saroman old spot? Is that what the new horses by Malena is about will she be added in as a new art team member and be helping out more? 

Sad to see team members leaving and wish him well in his future endeavors whatever they might be. 

No no, not at all. No-one has suggested anything like this to me. The only contact I've had with the Wurm team is through Wox. I offered him directly to do some horse skins and he helped get Rolf to say yes :). I also offered him a whole bunch of pixel icons as well to replace the question marks. Not sure what's going to happen with all of this now that Wox is gone :(.

Edited by Malena
  • Like 2

Ahh okay well maybe they will contact you now also his name is Wox not Vox :)

Do you have any other gaming art skills like modeling or anything? I just liked your horses so much that i thought you might do well on the team but you might not even want to be a volunteer, lol

Edited by Kegan

1 minute ago, Kegan said:

Do you have any other gaming skills like modeling or anything? I just liked your horses so much that i thought you might do well on the team but you might not even want to be a volunteer, lol

AFAIK she is (or was?) game dev, created one of my favourite childhood games, Tower Bloxx. :)

8 minutes ago, Warlander said:

AFAIK she is (or was?) game dev, created one of my favourite childhood games, Tower Bloxx. :)

Ahh yes with a little investigative google searching i have found her website and it does look like you are right, lol :)

She might be to busy with other stuff then..heh

1 minute ago, Kegan said:

Do you have any other gaming skills like modeling or anything? I just liked your horses so much that i thought you might do well on the team but you might not even want to be a volunteer, lol

See that's how upset I am! Got his name all screwy! Fixed now :). 

As for being a volunteer, well it's not a matter of whether I "want" to, but more a matter of whether it's very ethical since I already work in the game industry at Ubisoft as a lead artist. So I really shouldn't be spending a whole lot of time volunteering artwork for another game company. ;-) The horsie skins was just something I felt the game really needed badly since horse breeding is such a huge part of the game and I'm a horse breeder myself. And starting my career in the game industry 10 years ago as a pixel artist, the question mark pixel icons just had to go and had been like that for years already. So it was just a small exception I wanted to make.

We can continue this discussion privately if you like. I don't want to hijack this thread. It should be about remembering all the great contributions Wox made to the game and celebrating sitting instead.

Think guys. Now we can have proper player taverns, or sit while we craft, or enjoy our beautiful chairs, or have events with proper audiences sitting down. And we can finally visit our friends and sit and chat without feeling like we need to get out of their hair immediately! So happy this is coming!

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Warlander said:

Can't take credit for the original Tower Bloxx for mobile. We later ported it to PC and XBLA, and I was in those projects though :). It was a great game and you can still find Tower Bloxx Deluxe on XBLA.

22 minutes ago, Malena said:

See that's how upset I am! Got his name all screwy! Fixed now :). 

As for being a volunteer, well it's not a matter of whether I "want" to, but more a matter of whether it's very ethical since I already work in the game industry at Ubisoft as a lead artist. So I really shouldn't be spending a whole lot of time volunteering artwork for another game company. ;-) The horsie skins was just something I felt the game really needed badly since horse breeding is such a huge part of the game and I'm a horse breeder myself. And starting my career in the game industry 10 years ago as a pixel artist, the question mark pixel icons just had to go and had been like that for years already. So it was just a small exception I wanted to make.

We can continue this discussion privately if you like. I don't want to hijack this thread. It should be about remembering all the great contributions Wox made to the game and celebrating sitting instead.

Think guys. Now we can have proper player taverns, or sit while we craft, or enjoy our beautiful chairs, or have events with proper audiences sitting down. And we can finally visit our friends and sit and chat without feeling like we need to get out of their hair immediately! So happy this is coming!

Taverns... I have some other ideas when it comes for that as well, but for now... Enjoy sitting! :)

(I would really like to see more RP/atmosphere elements in Wurm)

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Warlander said:

Taverns... I have some other ideas when it comes for that as well, but for now... Enjoy sitting! :)

(I would really like to see more RP/atmosphere elements in Wurm)

I agree! And if you were a part of making sitting happen. Thank you thank you thank you thank you! And thanks Rolf for letting this become a reality. I know I ain't the only one who has been waiting for this. I've heard tons of people wish this out loud. One of which would be Brian of Factional Fight.

Malena, as long as you had nothing to do with "uPlay", you'll still be one of my favorites. :)

I was actually thinking, "HMM. There was that person who had that thing about sitting in their sig... who was that?" BOOM! Right there in front of me! :)

• Like 2

For the most part, I think Wox has shown a lot of restraint in evolving the game's graphics slowly, and we're better off for it. He's been a good steward, and when changes have elicited forum rage, he's responded thoughtfully (see: ship cannons).

I've always liked the fireplace, which has decorative flourish without betraying Wurm's nuts and bolts approach.

Bon voyage, Wox!

And SITTING? What next, helicopters??

Edited by Tipper
grammar tough
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Malena said:

Oh my goodness what a bitter-sweet update... Absolutely thrilled about sitting of course since that has been my #1 wish since day one. But also hugely sad to see Vox go. It's thanks to him taking the horsie skin topic forward to Rolf that I got to do 3 new horsie skins (which are already in the build but yet to be fully released) and in general what little interaction we had discussing the skins, he seems like an absolutely lovely feller. So helpful and sympatico. All the best to you Vox, and thank you for everything! The best of luck to whatever comes next!

Your signature popped into my mind as soon as I saw the picture!

18 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

Your signature popped into my mind as soon as I saw the picture!

Which reminds me, time to update it! :) (and Keenan no, god no)

14 hours ago, Malena said:

Oh my goodness what a bitter-sweet update... Absolutely thrilled about sitting of course since that has been my #1 wish since day one. But also hugely sad to see Vox go. It's thanks to him taking the horsie skin topic forward to Rolf that I got to do 3 new horsie skins (which are already in the build but yet to be fully released) and in general what little interaction we had discussing the skins, he seems like an absolutely lovely feller. So helpful and sympatico. All the best to you Vox, and thank you for everything! The best of luck to whatever comes next!

Do we know when the new horse colors will be implemented? I was under the impression they were already in-game...

16 minutes ago, Araninke said:

Do we know when the new horse colors will be implemented? I was under the impression they were already in-game...

Well the textures are in our Wurm folders already, as many had noticed from downloading one of the recent updates and I checked the files myself. But perhaps they still need to be coded in to be enabled and working. Soon I hope :)

Edited by Malena
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Malena said:

And we can have latrines and poo bars along with the health bar. "You must take a poo break". "Malena digs a latrine pit."  "Clatius squats at his latrine"  "The Aged Troll runs away in digust" :lol:

Edited by Clatius

19 minutes ago, Clatius said:

And we can have latrines and poo bars along with the health bar. "You must take a poo break". "Malena digs a latrine pit."  "Clatius squats at his latrine"  "The Aged Troll runs away in digust" :lol:

I love it! Seriously though, anything to enhance realism and immersion! 

The Horse texture and Icons are in the test_graphics/graphics jar and should be in game as soon some server developer adds em.

/Cheers!

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Tipper said:

What next, helicopters??

Hang gliders or hot air balloons maybe?

I love the sitting update, long overdue but much appreciated :D Now I can properly enjoy a sunrise in my chair before I have to go tend my fields

• Like 1

I may have missed this, but is there a reason these news posts aren't showing up in the launcher anymore?

9 hours ago, Wox said:

The Horse texture and Icons are in the test_graphics/graphics jar and should be in game as soon some server developer adds em.

/Cheers!

I have new foals on the way. Really hoping to get some of the new colors!