Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Digging Down Clay = Bad Idea

In the 5+ years I have been playing this game clay has *never* lowered from digging it within the center tiles. Stop with the misinformation. Yes, it has always *sometimes* lowered by digging around the outside edges where it meets dirt/sand. Even then, there have been certain outside edges where it never lowered either. I have maintained several Public clay areas on various servers over the years and before the leveling option became available there was no way to create flat tiles within these areas other than by dropping dirt to raise them. So if there was some hump inside of the area it could never be dug down over time.

All of the above is beside the point I was making in the OP, which still stands so I am not going to repeat myself on those points. As of now one Public clay area I had maintained on a server for Public use has been dug down into water at 2 spots where the clay can no longer be dug. Guess what? I am not going to fill these spots back in with dirt and when the remaining 3-4 spots are dug down in this same way I am not going to fill those in either. Perhaps the Developers would like to come by and fix this mess they have enabled instead, eh?

Fortunately I am not playing much on the WO servers now and really don't need to dig any clay. If I do I will just bring enough dirt along to raise it for my own use and then leave it dug down to the level I found it when I arrived. Have it your way. The nice thing about WU is that the old game is not the only one in town now.

*shrugs*

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
  • Like 2

I am sure the ones using your 'public' clay spots will figure out to bring dirt or not be able to dig the clay they need.

Edited by JakeRivers

Ain't looking at anyone in particular but..... well.. "the overall wurmian reaction".... 

Fountain pans ARE A BUG and must be FIXED BECAUSE THE OWNERS ARE ABUSERS!! 

Unwogicking clay... "unnecessary fix" .. even at 10 clays per dirt (WU style from the start), really, it ain't that terrible.  In fact, opens a market for dredge makers =P 

• Like 1

I really don´t see the fuzz about it. I personally think that dropping 1 dirt for 50-100 clay is much better then having clay tiles that can never be lowered after someone drops a dirt as an accident on it.

• Like 4

Personally the tweak is great, especially for people who unintentionally drop dirt. It has been possible to lower clay in the past at various times and under certain conditions.

Then there's the jerks (I confess to doing this :P) who lower it on purpose and/or drop dirt.

I fully support this change/fix. Now if only we could turn clay into dirt... nnnngh... Even if it means dropping 10 dirt on it, I'd be happy! 20 is ok too. 30 would be just silly.

• Like 1

On 27.11.2015 21:41:47, Keenan said:

As far as my understanding goes:

• Digging down clay was an intended feature.
  • It broke.
  • It was fixed. (kinda)
  • It was still broken, as it only seemed to work on certain tiles. This is why some people stated that they'd always have to bring dirt with them to raise it back up, where others haven't had this issue. (It used to lower MUCH quicker in these instances. I think it was every 10 before.)
  • It's now balanced better between the broken state and the non-broken state. In other words, it's fixed.

That's pretty much the history of this. You may only see it from one side, having only experienced it one way. This is also a sandbox game, so why shouldn't someone be able to lower clay? You also know how the mechanic works now, meaning you can more easily prepare for it. For every 50-100 clay, you can drop 1 dirt to raise it back up. Also consider that some people have accidentally dumped dirt or sand on clay tiles, so how would you propose those be lowered? Leveling isn't an ideal solution. So if you can raise a tile up, why not lower it as well?

And no, this wasn't one of my fixes. I just understand why it was done this way and I happen to know the history that led to this change. Some seem to be mistaking it for some random change, when it's really not at all. 

Yes, but in a sandbox game there shouls then be some consistency. Clay should either act like sand. or we should ahve a seperate command from digging clay as in "gathering" and one as in "terraforming".

Edited by PWreset

oh hell... i allready was wondering and also my new noob friends around starter deed @ public clay... Im very sry for the people who live around that area , i thought it was a bug :ph34r:... Now digging holes around clay pit to refill the clay.... soon it will look like the moon and almost impossible to pass by cart/horse/...

How about to create your own clay pits ? like the sand over dirt creates dirt

Edited by noermel
  • Like 2

When you need lots of dirt and don't wanna kill the landscape, dredge.

bind key drop_as_pile, open dredge window someplace comfy, dig for a while.

I was always under the impression that if you stand in center and dig facing the side of the tile it would not lower,
and that it is those digging the corners that lowers the clay pits.

4 hours ago, Mordraug said:

When you need lots of dirt and don't wanna kill the landscape, dredge.

bind key drop_as_pile, open dredge window someplace comfy, dig for a while.

of course noobs will drive by boat... :rolleyes:

Edited by noermel

5 hours ago, noermel said:

of course noobs will drive by boat... :rolleyes:

Had a boat before I had my first horse =)

if you're digging clay , you have a shovel. Dirt's a few tiles away.  if you dig 2000 clay, don't dig a 20 deep hole, take a couple dirts from here and a couple from there. It doesn't take a lot of work not to be an asshat

• Like 1

As long as it can be fixed by dropping dirt i dont really care either way about this change. I will go on the record as well by saying it was not a needed change/fix. Leveing worked out just fine. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MaurizioAM said:

As long as it can be fixed by dropping dirt i dont really care either way about this change. I will go on the record as well by saying it was not a needed change/fix. Leveing worked out just fine. 

Oh it did?

I made a thread about leveling clay not working properly back in march...

...and I left the game (Soured on it, and certain people, then had RL stick a wrench in the cogs of my living situation and mostly been unable to respond on here since then...only been able to read a few things here or there from jaunts to the library.).

I'm pretty sure leveling wasn't working 'just fine' for my situation. I literally just could not finish an area without going and digging up loads of dirt to just throw off a cliff to raise a spot...and I wasn't willing to. (And it's not about my digging skills, I actually had high dig skills, check niarja if you don't believe me.)

I actually saw this thread and read it hoping they'd fixed it, but nope. They just made normal clay pits lower after so many actions. (Which should've been happening as far as I was concerned anyway, because the other way looked like a unfixed bug, which they apparently finally got around to fixing.)

Leveling certainly isn't 'working properly' when referring to clay, unless you mean the ability to level it DOWN.

1 hour ago, Corsan said:

Oh it did?

I made a thread about leveling clay not working properly back in march...

...and I left the game (Soured on it, and certain people, then had RL stick a wrench in the cogs of my living situation and mostly been unable to respond on here since then...only been able to read a few things here or there from jaunts to the library.).

I'm pretty sure leveling wasn't working 'just fine' for my situation. I literally just could not finish an area without going and digging up loads of dirt to just throw off a cliff to raise a spot...and I wasn't willing to. (And it's not about my digging skills, I actually had high dig skills, check niarja if you don't believe me.)

I actually saw this thread and read it hoping they'd fixed it, but nope. They just made normal clay pits lower after so many actions. (Which should've been happening as far as I was concerned anyway, because the other way looked like a unfixed bug, which they apparently finally got around to fixing.)

Leveling certainly isn't 'working properly' when referring to clay, unless you mean the ability to level it DOWN.

With as much land there is and as small of areas clay pits are why on earth would you be trying that hard to terraform that area? 

Im fairly sure you had many options you could have taken if you wanted to with the situation.

10 minutes ago, MaurizioAM said:

With as much land there is and as small of areas clay pits are why on earth would you be trying that hard to terraform that area? 

Im fairly sure you had many options you could have taken if you wanted to with the situation.

Because at the time I wanted to have neighbors, and I'd accidentally eaten up the only portion of land based clay there with my deed (And fenced it in with 50-60 QL stone walls.). The rest would have had to be dredged, or they would have had to push up a spot in the little mini bay there which I really enjoyed looking at/didn't want land pushed up in because it was perfect for shallow draft boats...or they would have had to do one of those whack-looking diagonal roads to push up a section farther on down from where my spot was. I was trying to be courteous to future players and include a road through my deed that would allow access to both sides of the coastline and also have a way up the mountain that I was snugged against.

There was work-able land up above my deed if someone else had deemed it advantageous to haul in dirt and live up on a mountainside with a even better view than I had. I was midway through terraforming a ramp up to the back portion of my deed when I ran into this problem and eventually left the game/never finished. I did manage to finish a massive 8x8 240 slope plateau into the water's edge, after dredging the whole coast by my deed, but I really didn't have much more dirt to work with after that. I actually had planned to tear out a rather large portion of the mountain with surface mining also. Not sure if someone moved in there since, as I have been without internet for nearly 6 months now.

Due to the game's limitations, it was basically build a bulwark and throw dirt at it, throw dirt until it was high enough, or get them to fix the mechanic. Was hoping they'd actually fix it since I'm sure I wasn't the only person running into the issue...