Sign in to follow this  
Katrinka

How to begin?

Ok, so I bought the game and would really like to play, but... where do I make a character? How do I get the game to show up? I finally figured out how to make the server show up in the LAN list, choose it and click on connect...and it pretends to do something, says it is connected, but nothing happens. Am I missing some vital info I should be putting in somewhere? Is it not coming up because I have no character? If so, where do I make a character, and how do I add it to the server?

You create character by entering a name in the Name field, it's to the right of the server list.

When you go the window where you manage your server, what IP address is shown for Server External IP address?

You may want to try following Keenan's guide (first link) and once you get up and running the second page has some useful info about certain settings.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=539113618

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Server_administration_%28Wurm_Unlimited%29

Edited by BadLuckBurt
Added links

Type the name you want to use in the launcher. That makes the character!

If you have started a dedicated server, find it and select it under LAN.

Then press connect.

If you don't want to play alone, I play at a server named Western Union!

I still have something wrong. Name is in place. Server is coming up on LAN, all settings have been chosen and saved, but when I click on 'play' it blinks, the little blue icon thingy turns in circles like it's working, and then everything stops, but it says the server is running.

And new-player friendlies can be found here www.moorwurm.com (Moorlands)

Are you getting to the point where the launcher is showing "connected to steam" on the console window?

Check out these new player tutorials:

Www.mootred.com 

Edited by IloveWurm

1 hour ago, Trake said:

And new-player friendlies can be found here www.moorwurm.com (Moorlands)

Are you getting to the point where the launcher is showing "connected to steam" on the console window?

yes, it is connected to steam. Just don't have a client to play on. Checking mootred.com now.

Ok, watched the first mootred video, and it was really nice, but already in game! I can't make a client come up to get into the game at all, although that black square with all the code assures me the server is running. Where is it running? What makes the client thingy come up? I updated java again.

you have started the server, but not the game, right ? to be in game, you need to go back in the first screen where you had selected "Manage server" and choose your server (can go in LAN tab for the one you just start) and select it, than CONNECT.

Edited by Kathya

28 minutes ago, Kathya said:

you have started the server, but not the game, right ? to be in game, you need to go back in the first screen where you had selected "Manage server" and choose your server (can go in LAN tab for the one you just start) and select it, than CONNECT.

Did that :) Both in my 'new' server and tried Cecci's server thinking it was already up and running, so should connect, but I still get nothing. Maybe I have a graphics setting wrong? I checked them against my wurm online settings for compatibility, but even though they are identical, no game client. I'm about to give up :(

You probably need to open up some ports on your firewall / router. I'm willing to try and help you unless you've already given up.

Also, try checking if there are any log files in the WurmLauncher folder. If you don't know where that folder is, right-click on Wurm Unlimited in Steam and choose Properties. Then, on the next window that appears go to the Local Files tab. From there, click on the Search in local files button (text might be a bit different, my Steam is in Dutch) and you will be taken to the Wurm Unlimited folder Open the WurmLauncher folder there and see if there are any log files, they should be there if your client is actually crashing. If there aren't any there, go to the PlayerData folder (you'll see it in the WurmLauncher folder) and find the console.<your name>.log file.

checking ports and firewall now. Might take some time as I just went to win 10 and not sure where it is yet.

ok, unless I'm way wrong, it looks like Steam and wurm unlimited are both allowed through the firewall, and the protocols for ports say 'any'. But maybe I have no clue what they should say or where to find adding ports...

Hm, in most cases that should at least be enough to connect to outside servers.

What exactly happened when you tried to connect to Cecci's server? Did the window just stay stuck on Connecting?

it did the same as for my server. The desktop goes black for a second or two like it' going to open something, and the little blue icon thingy spins like it's opening something and then stops. I'm still on desktop, the part that says 'manage servers' is still there, the white window that lets you connect or disconnect servers is still there, the black window says I successfully connected to the server, but there is no game client. Nothing there to play on.

that was wonderful, and I followed it completely. making sure my IP was correct. Left everything else default except the server name and my chracter name and clicked on connect. Same problem :( It looks like it is connecting. Says the server is running just like your black window did... but no game...just my desktop

9 minutes ago, MootRed said:

Does this help?

Be sure to download the Dedicated server. 

Open steam - click on library > Tools > Wurm Unlimited Dedicated Server

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geMDsMxfuIU

27 minutes ago, Katrinka said:

it did the same as for my server. The desktop goes black for a second or two like it' going to open something, and the little blue icon thingy spins like it's opening something and then stops. I'm still on desktop, the part that says 'manage servers' is still there, the white window that lets you connect or disconnect servers is still there, the black window says I successfully connected to the server, but there is no game client. Nothing there to play on.

Do you have Use Dedicated Server checked? It's in the Launcher window under the box where you entered your name. If it's not checked, check it.

It does seem like it should work now.

Once your Wurm Dedicated Server is running, you should at least be able to connect to that. The black window that says you successfully connected is the Wurm server saying it has made a connection with Steam.

What I don't understand is why your Wurm Launcher window doesn't disappear, That should turn into the main game window once you've double-clicked the server you wish to connect to in the list.

the wurm launcher window (that one that says 'manage servers'? Seems to have vanished entirely now. I get the white launch server thing and the black page that says server is connected, but the ironwood launcher thing doesn't come up any more. Probably time to reboot the computer and start over.

Here's what you do:

Start Wurm Dedicated Server in Steam. That will show you the white window where you can manage the server, just click Start Server. Wait until the black window says that the server has connected to Steam.

Next, start Wurm Unlimited in Steam, that will give you the launcher window for the game. There, go to the LAN tab and double-click your server. If all goes well, you should be able to connect.

ok, I launched steam... double clicked the dedicated server icon and the black and white windows showed up. I clicked connect to server on the white window and it shows server is running, got the launcher up in steam, and still have the same problem. Looks like it's opening something but stops...server still showing as running. Game showing as 'ready to play' It was running briefly, but didn't open

it would be nice if it would give me a hint for why it's failing to open