Sign in to follow this  
Yaga

Templars become hostile after a player helps them kill a mob on deed

This looks like an issue that's unintended:

When a player kites a mob to someone's deed and then helps the templars kill that mob, templars (and tower guards in the vicinity) will turn hostile and attack the player. It's effectively like the player has been put on KoS - templars will remain hostile even after several hours and relogs. (There is no KoS message however.) It happened to a friend earlier today, and I was able to reproduce the issue with one of my alts.

I suppose the reason is that the player is actually not permitted to attack mobs on deed (by deed permissions), but still can do it because the mob was targeted before he entered the deed (??). This could be pretty dangerous for careless new players who are trying to fight mobs after kiting them to the next deed!

I could not reproduce this on test with a deed that did not allow non citizens to do ANYTHING at all.

If I managed to lead something on deed, it allowed me to help finish it off with no templar issues afterwards.

If I tried to attack something that was already on deed, I got the 'illegal here message'.

Can you give details on what non citizen permissions were?

(Note:  I did not try with a tower close or on deed.)

16 minutes ago, Alectrys said:

Can you give details on what non citizen permissions were?

It is an allied deed, so here is what I get (on another alt):

gdUeshG.png

10 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Is this on Deli?

(just to clarify that it is not a WU or PvP issue)

Yes, on Deli. (Sorry, I didn't mention...)

I set ally the same as you and tried again could not reproduce.

I'll see if I can try on the live servers.  I'm a bit short on time in the next few days with the holiday approaching.

Curious if there are actions being taken by the player before the Templars assist? Like a formerly tamed animal or some such. 

29 minutes ago, Keenan said:

Curious if there are actions being taken by the player before the Templars assist? Like a formerly tamed animal or some such. 

Nothing of the kind. Just took a random mob and kited it to deed, let templars attack it and helped fighting. Templars turned hostile after mob was killed.

2 hours ago, Yaga said:

Nothing of the kind. Just took a random mob and kited it to deed, let templars attack it and helped fighting. Templars turned hostile after mob was killed.

Yaga, I tried again on the live servers and after killing the critter I dragged on deed to the templar and the guards, none of them turned agro towards me.  I'm not sure what is going on with your situation.  Please forum PM me the name of the deed on Deli where this happened and the name of the character who did the fighting then became KOS.

I think when it happened to us before the mob wondered onto deed and before the templar attacked it my friend engaged it.

Normally if the mob wonders on and templar attacks before you have, you will get a message that you can not do that on the deed. If the mob had attacked you before the templar engages then its fine to finish killing it. I suspect it may be hard to duplicate this problem.

If anyone can find a sure fire way to replicate, please post :)

18 hours ago, Alectrys said:

Yaga, I tried again on the live servers and after killing the critter I dragged on deed to the templar and the guards, none of them turned agro towards me.  I'm not sure what is going on with your situation.  Please forum PM me the name of the deed on Deli where this happened and the name of the character who did the fighting then became KOS.

Thanks. PM sent.

After speaking with Yaga and going over some permissions, I was finally able to reproduce this issue with some odd permission configurations.  I don't think most people will run into this situation, but I'll describe it to the devs to see if it can be remedied.

Thanks for working with me, Yaga.

• Like 1

This issue was fixed on test and has been pushed to the live servers.  Thanks again for the report and working with me to identify the odd configuration to reproduce.

On 11/25/2015 at 1:02 PM, Yaga said:

This looks like an issue that's unintended:

When a player kites a mob to someone's deed and then helps the templars kill that mob, templars (and tower guards in the vicinity) will turn hostile and attack the player. It's effectively like the player has been put on KoS - templars will remain hostile even after several hours and relogs. (There is no KoS message however.) It happened to a friend earlier today, and I was able to reproduce the issue with one of my alts.

I suppose the reason is that the player is actually not permitted to attack mobs on deed (by deed permissions), but still can do it because the mob was targeted before he entered the deed (??). This could be pretty dangerous for careless new players who are trying to fight mobs after kiting them to the next deed!