Sign in to follow this  
Mykael

Server Lottery Mod

Might be cool if we could use a lottery mod on servers that would allow people to purchase a lottery ticket in-game using game currency.

Option 1: a set amount of in-game currency is awarded to the winner.

Option 2: total or half the cost of total tickets sold is given to the winner or added to that player's bank account.

Maybe the rest goes into the kingdom pool or something. Just a thought I had and figured I would share :D

apparently there are laws against that, from what ive heard,

not that i know much about laws. i guess the thing is game

currency in this game seems to be closely tied to real money. idk

They have this in minecraft as long as its not mixed with real world money it is perfectly legal.

• Like 1

yeah however, wurm unlimited silver isn't tied to real money, as that would be illegal because only Wurm Online can make real money off in game silver.

On 12/5/2015 at 6:18 PM, oxnard said:

yeah however, wurm unlimited silver isn't tied to real money, as that would be illegal because only Wurm Online can make real money off in game silver.

It's not that wurm can only make money, it's a matter of the Tax man... the moment money starts to change hands it gets complicated.  and just to run a fun for all lottery isn't fun for the person who actually runs it.

Don't blame wurm... blame politicians.

ingame - ingame money and it stays ingame - legal

The laws in this case are pretty simple actually. You can also sell silver for real money, and still have in game lotteries using silver for entry. The rule, the main part of the law, is there must be a way to enter without purchasing anything. So you need to have a way for people to get silver in game. Also there can be no cash payout, that is where gambling laws hit. Doing gambling for silver is much like earning tickets at a video arcade (not the sweepstakes places I mean like a kids arcade).

I worked for one of the world's leading internet sweepstakes companies for years, and had 3 locations. I have been all over these laws. However I do still need to state this: I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. Always consult a lawyer when in doubt.

Noermel that should be fine, again checking is a good idea. It should be fine even if silver is purchased, look at all the facebook games with pay to spin a wheel to get a random game item. At any rate I am working on a gambling mod, I just got the preview alpha finished but I am having my lawyer look over it just to be sure before I release it.

It may even come down to a matter of the laws where the server is hosted... or where you live...he will let me know and I will pass it on.