Sign in to follow this  
Marni

Call to Action: Bridges

Hello everyone!

Bridges have been in quite some time now, however the information on the Wurmpedia is still very dry, so we're looking to populate the articles a little more and we're going to use this thread to do so. If you have any questions related to the mechanics behind bridges then drop them into here as a reply and we'll get testing. If someone knows the answer then of course, please reply also! We may even also get a developer popping their head in.... *looks for Tich*.

I'll consolidate a list of all of the Q&A here, along with any relevant testing we've done.

Cheers!

Marni

• Like 2

I have a few questions:

Does a bridge have to be 63 above water for ships to sail under it?  Can you plan a bridge just ten above water, in stone or marble, of any length?  If it already built over land, can you dig down and dredge down under it to make splashpools under a low (ten above water) bridge of any length?  Can you pass under a bridge shorter than five tiles long?

This is from a old post of mine, back when bridges where first put in.

Not sure if it's 100% correct or still valid as I haven't played with Bridges since they where first put in.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/124030-community-bridge-project-in-southeast-deliverance/&do=findComment&comment=1279033

Spoiler

I've been playing with bridges on test. Here is some of the stuff I've gathered.

(If my testing and record keeping is accurate.)

A 1 story house wall is 33 dirt high. Each story after that adds 30.

All ships can sail in water at -20.

No bridge(ramp) segment can be steeper then 20 slope.

You need 5 clearance minimal on land bridges.

Any bridge that is connected to a highway on either end is considered part of the highway.

Currently if you are making a bridge for use in a highway it should not be attached to a house.

Mainly because, "If the house poofs any bridge attached to the house will poof also.".

Also there are currently a lot of wagon/cart bugs in houses.

(My personal belief)

Wooden/Brick/Marble bridges can only connect to a solid wall on a house. For 2 floors below connection.

Bridges have to be built at minimal 10 above water.

Flat bridges can be built at 1-5 tiles long at 10 above water.

A wooden flat bridge at 15 above water can not be sailed through.

A Wooden flat bridge at 20 above water can be sailed through.

A stone/Marble flat bridge at 20 above water can not be sailed through.

A stone/Marble flat bridge at 30 above water can be sailed through.

Arched bridges 1-8 tiles long can be built at 10 above water.

Wooden arched and flat bridges greater then 8 tiles need 60 above water.

Brick/Marble flat and arched bridges greater then 8 tiles long need to be 80 above water.

A 1x5 rope bridge can't be built at 15 above water.

A 1x5 rope bridge can be built at 20 above water.

A 1x8 rope bridge can not be built at 20 above water.

Collision on low arched bridges 8 tiles and less. The tile where the bridge start and end seems to have some collision with boats(it's actually on the commander/passengers).

The center tiles I have been able to pass through with no collision of captain, and 2 passengers on all ships.

Have not tested collision on taller/longer bridges.

I'll point Stevelee to this post also as he has done quite a bit with bridges.

• Like 1

you could not, have done a better job. :P
:)
I have learnt nothing more than what exists on the URL(info) ohana just provided, invaluable.
I've often made mistakes and wished i'd read it twice :)

i agree, these questions arise in chat, all the time.

If i spot anything Ohana hasn't covered.. i'll add it here, the only stuff not mentioned, are bugs that have since been ironed out.

I'm told the collision system will get a conclusive revamping in the future so i think, we've been collectively guarded against setting anything in stone.

nonetheless, this info should, be on the wiki
super.

Edited by Steveleeb
because

6 hours ago, Ohana said:

Wooden/Brick/Marble bridges can only connect to a solid wall on a house. For 2 floors below connection.

Incorrect for wood.. they only require one floor below and the wall can be wood.

For stone/marble it has to be stone walls for two floor below.

Rope bridge height above water is there so the sag does not end up under water.

The heights for longer bridges above water level are there as it looked wrong, so in theory could be changed, if Saroman lets me. would be nice to remove the restriction as many people use bridges for decoration on their deeds.

I've no idea how high a bridge has to be to let all boats sail under, and of course would be 2 values...one to sail under and one to sail under without clipping the bridge.

You can dig/dredge under any bridge but not next to a support.

You can drop dirt under a bridge so long as enough space would still be there after, and it would not alter the height next to a support.

• Like 3

@Ohana, Thank you for this info:

"A stone/Marble flat bridge at 30 above water can be sailed through.

Arched bridges 1-8 tiles long can be built at 10 above water.

Wooden arched and flat bridges greater then 8 tiles need 60 above water.

Brick/Marble flat and arched bridges greater then 8 tiles long need to be 80 above water."

@Saroman: PLEASE let Tich alter the minimum height restriction of longer bridges to 30 above water, as these can be sailed under and more particularly as there is an inconsistency between the 8+ tile long wooden and brick/marble bridges - the first being 60 and the latter being 80 above water. 

Thank you, in hope ....

Edited by Baloo
  • Like 1

I just did a test on a WU server but I am not sure if they are identical beyond on WU, one can plant the range pole and design a bridge. I'm not sure if this is the kind of information you were really asking for but it does prove some things you did - that you can fully dig under a bridge, that boats can pass under a low bridge (rowboat, sailboat, and knarr as I stopped at shovel depth and larger boats would beach - these were tested on an existing bridge on WO that is 5 tiles long with 3 water tiles at shovel depth), and that 10 above water level is the absolute minimum height you can plan a bridge (near water or not).

If you want a long bridge over shallow water, here's what you can do.

1) Level the section that you want under water to 1 dirt above water level. Remember to add 1 tile to either end of the water passage area because the last "water" tile will be the slope up to the inside of the support - you cannot level the edges touching a support.

2) Raise the tiles on the ends to at least 10 above the area you leveled where the water is going to be. +10 will allow only an arched bridge in my tests due to clearance. Under 10 is too low. (I did not test with a flat bridge but can if you want exact steps for those. I am assuming a clearance of 15 is needed.)

3) Build your bridge.

4) Go under your bridge to the center tile and dig down as far as you can with your shovel and flatten that tile. You can also dredge once it's deep enough to get a rowboat onto it but I stopped at shovel depth to speed up the test. From there, you can level the entire area (to shovel depth, won't work with a dredge) under the bridge. Remember, you cannot level the outside two tiles that touch the border where the support is.

Of course, this would be a bad idea to use for crossing a large bay because you would have to fill in your entire path to 1 above water to do it, but it is viable for a "platform bridge" acting as a centerpiece to a decorative pond - one I hope to lure some unsuspecting porpoises into.

Edited by Audrel
Changed a WU to a WO