Sign in to follow this  
Crustyfoot

Cautionary Tale (Maybe?): Don't forget to shutdown your server if you put your pc to sleep

Thought I would put this out there. Perhaps it is one of those things that need not be said but this is the seconds time I have had to scrap my map because of corruption.

Why? (Edit: I am guessing it was from putting pc to sleep, the first time it did indeed become damaged somehow)

Near as I can determine it is due to me forgetting I have the dedicated server running when I decide to put my computer to sleep for the night. (Edit: there was something I did to it the first time that damaged it.)

Next day, I get connection refused if I try to connect.

Edit>

And no it is not a network problem (edit: actually this second time it was). I have shut down and restarted the server.

So just words of advice. Please be careful people.

Edited by Crustyfoot

It sounds more like your router gave you a new IP address. You'd have to manually change this in your server configuration. Easiest way to avoid this is to look up your router's maker and Google on how to reserve your IP Address so it never changes.

11 minutes ago, Keenan said:

It sounds more like your router gave you a new IP address. You'd have to manually change this in your server configuration. Easiest way to avoid this is to look up your router's maker and Google on how to reserve your IP Address so it never changes.

*Face palmed*

You want to know a something? Today's fiasco was something like that. I just got done uninstalling Oracle Virtual Machine. My lan address did indeed change on me.

However I am rather positive that something corrupted my creative world the first time the other day sadly enough. I do not believe it is any fault of the software but is most likely the blame of the operator (Me)

I can only guess it was that I was being rather careless and I can only come up with the hypothesis that it was from putting my computer to sleep. Perhaps I am wrong about what caused it and have jumped the gun with this post.

A sad and embarrassing thing to have posted a warning about something that I was sure I was right about only now to have some second thoughts.

Edited by Crustyfoot

I can't rule out your hypothesis. It all depends on how the OS handles the data. :)

I just saw the "Connection Refused" error and figured it might be the IP. It's a good idea to not use sleep mode on any system where you intend to have a running server or daemon, simply because of data loss that's possible.

I run a server on a laptop that gets put into sleep mode frequently while it's running, no issues so far.